• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to take a random guess and say it's because people don't like incarnations as characters.
I love incarnations of characters actually. I just don't think Toon Zelda will make it back in the list because it's too much.

Also, there's a shocking amount of crap being slung at Toon Zelda from the same users who consider Dixie a lock for this game.
Umm, maybe because Dixie has more reasons to be in Smash and isn't the second incarnation of an existing character from her series.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I would much rather have a 2nd Incarnation of Ganon then a 3rd, or even potentially a 4th incarnation of Zelda (Zelda, Shiek, Toon Zelda and possibly Tetra as the transformation) she might as well have a whole series named after herself...

...oh wait, that already happened :troll:

?????????????

Smash Master
I love incarnations of characters actually. I just don't think Toon Zelda will make it back in the list because it's too much.

Umm, maybe because Dixie has more reasons to be in Smash and isn't the second incarnation of an existing character from her series.
I'm...almost very confused by your comment. Toon Zelda won't make it back because it's too much...what? Your new roster has Dr. Mario in it. At least Toon Zelda has more differences with the "Tetra" possibility than Dr. Mario did, not to mention Wind Waker HD.

Then...you say Dixie has more reasons because she isn't an incarnation, RIGHT AFTER saying you love incarnations.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't get the whining about incarnations. On another forum, I had a lengthy discussion with this guy who hated the f*** out of Paper Mario's guts because of the latter half of his name, and it's as though people just see the name, then retroactively tear down every reason that character could potentially be a valid inclusion. Unique moveset full of partners and folding attacks? NOPE, MARIO. Star of a four-game mini-series full of great content? NOPE, MARIO. And on and on.

Not that I think Toon Zelda that great a character choice on Paper Mario's level, but come on, if you're going to pimp the hell out of Dixie for being a female Forbidden 7 member in a new game, there's no reason to deny Toon Zelda the same courtesy.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I don't get the whining about incarnations. On another forum, I had a lengthy discussion with this guy who hated the f*** out of Paper Mario's guts because of the latter half of his name, and it's as though people just see the name, then retroactively tear down every reason that character could potentially be a valid inclusion. Unique moveset full of partners and folding attacks? NOPE, MARIO. Star of a four-game mini-series full of great content? NOPE, MARIO. And on and on.

Not that I think Toon Zelda that great a character choice on Paper Mario's level, but come on, if you're going to pimp the hell out of Dixie for being a female Forbidden 7 member in a new game, there's no reason to deny Toon Zelda the same courtesy.
At least PM could have a drastically different moveset and represent the RPG games, whereas Toon Zelda just screams clone, like Toon Link.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Toon Zelda won't make it back because it's too much...what? Your new roster has Dr. Mario in it.
The **** is your point? I have Dr. Mario so what? I don't have Dr. Mario and Nurse Peach. So how is just Dr. Mario too much?

not to mention Wind Waker HD.
...what about Wind Waker HD???????????

Then...you say Dixie has more reasons because she isn't an incarnation
Because she isn't a SECOND INCARNATION FROM THE SAME SERIES. Reading is a good thing to do before replying.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm...almost very confused by your comment. Toon Zelda won't make it back because it's too much...what? Your new roster has Dr. Mario in it. At least Toon Zelda has more differences with the "Tetra" possibility than Dr. Mario did, not to mention Wind Waker HD.

Then...you say Dixie has more reasons because she isn't an incarnation, RIGHT AFTER saying you love incarnations.
Toon Zelda: Why that ***** isn't getting in Smash.

1. At that point, a second incarnation of Ganondorf is obligatory (most likely Toon).
2. Zelda already has a second incarnation, 2 more would be unnecessary.
3. This character is difficult to develop as she is actually 2 characters (as opposed to one).
4. This character might require Sakurai to design a fanfiction-esque character (Toon Sheik) if his ideals haven't changed.
5. Zelda already has 5 representatives; at this point, many believe that number to be saturating.
6. If Toon Zelda is implemented, Zelda would have a staggering 7 representatives despite many proclaiming that 5 was too much.
7. Toon Link's return wasn't well-received.

Just some circumstantial notions.

Dr. Mario actually has Smash relevance and he is easy to develop, so the point is moot.

Dixie is a VERY important character in Donkey Kong, Toon Zelda doesn't compare to that importance (mostly pertaining to playable status). He does love incarnations, trust me, he isn't being hypocritical.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say Skyward Sword Zelda. Seperated. Impa, also separated. As she's best Lord. And the RNG Goddess loves her, that's why she lives up to age 10.000 and has 4 tier promotions.

Morbi

Scavenger

At least I am consistent; I hate Toon Zelda and Dixie Kong. :awesome:

Even then, Dixie's importance is much more apparent and overt, Toon Zelda doesn't really offer much. The Forbidden 7 are over-rated in my opinion. Obviously the by-product of Sakurai's drunken endeavors (or someone blew him).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Falcon hype is cool to.

Falcon Hype is the best kind of hype. Seriously, HD and 3D Falcon Punches are what the world needs.

#TeamMewtwo

And also-

#TeamLowExpectations
Low expectations are the best kind of expectations. Also, Pokemon Trainer is the real deal, son!

Nothing interesting for Smash will come from this. And I'll be surprised if any worthwhile game announcements come from this. It's a social event, nothing wrong with that either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
StreetPass weekend?

SURELY RIDLEY WILL BE SHOWN!

Ridley is worst Lord btw, but has good enough CON to weild Axes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I remember when I got 3 perfect level ups in a row with Impa. It was even in the arena, and all crits with a Slim weapon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At least I am consistent; I hate Toon Zelda and Dixie Kong. :awesome:

Even then, Dixie's importance is much more apparent and overt, Toon Zelda doesn't really offer much. The Forbidden 7 are over-rated in my opinion. Obviously the by-product of Sakurai's drunken endeavors (or someone blew him).
Oh, Dixie definitely is head-and-shoudlers above Toon Zelda as a character, but people are absurdly quick to dismiss the credentials Toon Zelda shares with Dixie for no reason other than knee-jerk incarnation hatred. I agree that the Forbidden 7 are overrated as a whole; Mewtwo would still be a lock for this game if he weren't planned, for example.

?????????????

Smash Master
The **** is your point? I have Dr. Mario so what? I don't have Dr. Mario and Nurse Peach. So how is just Dr. Mario too much?

...what about Wind Waker HD???????????

Because she isn't a SECOND INCARNATION FROM THE SAME SERIES. Reading is a good thing to do before replying.
I wanted clarification for the first point. Toon Zelda is too much...what? It's a run-on sentence, at least the way I'm reading it. Like...She's too much to add to the game, or she's too much of a *****. Not just "too much."

Do you think Toon Link would have gotten the same courtesy if there WASN'T Wind Waker HD? Maybe so, but I do think that big releases play a part in characters.

Why are you suddenly putting a limit on the number of incarnations a series can have? This is an unwritten rule that you just made up because you don't like the way it looks.

1. At that point, a second incarnation of Ganondorf is obligatory (most likely Toon).
3. This character is difficult to develop as she is actually 2 characters (as opposed to one).
4. This character might require Sakurai to design a fanfiction-esque character (Toon Sheik) if his ideals haven't changed.
5. Zelda already has 5 representatives; at this point, many believe that number to be saturating.
6. If Toon Zelda is implemented, Zelda would have a staggering 7 representatives despite many proclaiming that 5 was too much.

Dr. Mario actually has Smash relevance and he is easy to develop, so the point is moot.

Dixie is a VERY important character in Donkey Kong, Toon Zelda doesn't compare to that importance (mostly pertaining to playable status). He does love incarnations, trust me, he isn't being hypocritical.
1. I don't believe so. At least Toon Link and Toon Zelda have a height difference and are of different eras; Toon Ganondorf is literally just Ganondorf of a different art style.
2. It's not about necessity. I want to play as Tetra because I like her and I think she's a cool, and EASILY imporant enough Zelda character.
3. You could say the same about whether or not Pokemon Trainer returns. It's not a character specific argument.
4. That's possible. But it would be as dumb as Baby Daisy.
5. Sheik isn't a representative. It's a part of Zelda herself. It's "representing" the same idea.
6. I don't think people will ever complain about having "too many" characters in SSB.
7. It was half and half. I was happy. And even if others weren't, who cares? He's still an important Nintendo character, incarnation or not. That's what matters.

Pichu also has Smash relevance and easy to develop, as does possibly Roy. I'm not arguing about how easy the character is to be made, just the possible priority of the character themselves.

Dixie is, I think, most definitely a more important Nintendo character than Toon Zelda or Tetra. But all I'm talking about is Zelda getting new characters at all. I think Tetra/Toon Zelda is at the top of that.

Argue with me on these basis: I think Tetra/Toon Zelda has the best shot of any Zelda newcomer, if there is one. I myself think she's the BEST new Zelda newcomer we could have. The fact that she is an incarnation of another character doesn't matter.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
StreetPass weekend?

SURELY RIDLEY WILL BE SHOWN!

Ridley is worst Lord btw, but has good enough CON to weild Axes.

Ridley is top tier. He has a dive kick, you can't beat that. And he's Fire/Dragon Type with Levitate as his ability, don't get me started on his Base Stat Total either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is best when given Knives over Swords actually cause her special skills will activate more on them. It's good she also knows magic though, but that's only for armored units.

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't see why so many people like Toon Zelda. Tetra on the other hand, I can understand, but Vaati triumphs all of them.
Yes, it's "Tetra," not "Toon Zelda," that I'm interested in. If there is a Toon Zelda, it's Tetra's Sheik. If they have Toon Zelda WITHOUT Tetra, it's significantly less interesting dumb.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wanted clarification for the first point. Toon Zelda is too much...what? It's a run-on sentence, at least the way I'm reading it. Like...She's too much to add to the game, or she's too much of a *****. Not just "too much."

Do you think Toon Link would have gotten the same courtesy if there WASN'T Wind Waker HD? Maybe so, but I do think that big releases play a part in characters.

Why are you suddenly putting a limit on the number of incarnations a series can have? This is an unwritten rule that you just made up because you don't like the way it looks.

1. I don't believe so. At least Toon Link and Toon Zelda have a height difference and are of different eras; Toon Ganondorf is literally just Ganondorf of a different art style.
2. It's not about necessity. I want to play as Tetra because I like her and I think she's a cool, and EASILY imporant enough Zelda character.
3. You could say the same about whether or not Pokemon Trainer returns. It's not a character specific argument.
4. That's possible. But it would be as dumb as Baby Daisy.
5. Sheik isn't a representative. It's a part of Zelda herself. It's "representing" the same idea.
6. I don't think people will ever complain about having "too many" characters in SSB.
7. It was half and half. I was happy. And even if others weren't, who cares? He's still an important Nintendo character, incarnation or not. That's what matters.

Pichu also has Smash relevance and easy to develop, as does possibly Roy. I'm not arguing about how easy the character is to be made, just the possible priority of the character themselves.

Dixie is, I think, most definitely a more important Nintendo character than Toon Zelda or Tetra. But all I'm talking about is Zelda getting new characters at all. I think Tetra/Toon Zelda is at the top of that.

Argue with me on these basis: I think Tetra/Toon Zelda has the best shot of any Zelda newcomer, if there is one. I myself think she's the BEST new Zelda newcomer we could have. The fact that she is an incarnation of another character doesn't matter.
I wouldn't really mind Tetra and Toon Zelda if Tetra wasn't a clone; however, I am positive that Sakurai intended to utilize Toon Sheik instead. That was just some circumstantial stuff that opposes her likelihood, none of it was definitive. I use representative and character interchangeably (which is certainly erroneous), just to clarify.

Anyhow, I believe that Tingle is much more likely. It is strange as I really wouldn't mind Toon Zelda too much. I just think the notion is repugnant.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ridley is top tier. He has a dive kick, you can't beat that. And he's Fire/Dragon Type with Levitate as his ability, don't get me started on his Base Stat Total either.
Man, Ridley has the worst matchups ever! I mean, he gets 80-20'd by Takamaru who sits at top of the bottom tier. And that's just because he's weak to chain grabs. His elemental weakness to electric, rocks, ice, plasma and phazon also don't work. He's a joke to all the Top Tier characters with better stat bases and growths. Sure when you find all the Hero Coins in Zora's Domain you might have a chance with him, but I'd consider it luck based. His weapon type is also bad, and he comes underleveled. Worst of all, you might need to waste your Light Arrows to unlock him, and considering you need at least beat Hero Mode 2 times without dying and getting all the Energy Tanks before you get the Super Missiles might not be worth it in the end. His bad attack speed and Luck make him get criticalled against very often to. And even a Speed hindered natured Wario unpromoted can stand a chance to him, especially if you carry a Fariy in a Bottle with you. Best team partner vs Ridley are easily the Ice Climbers, cause when you grab him once it's a guranteed critcal hit.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What the hell is going on in this thread?

I don't know but it's definitely amusing at least. Also, Dry Bowser is on that next level.

Uhhhh........As far as new topics go, what about palette swaps? I know that isn't exactly talking about new characters directly, but we haven't seen any of Megaman's or the others yet. Maybe old characters will get new ones.

I want a Red and Orange Megaman Kind of like the Flame sword and Atomic Fire. And his Leaf Shield color too, that was used on a bunch of different weapons.

Maybe Flying Mario, a Hilda color for Zelda, Light suit Samus, and Dark Bowser. And change all of Sonic's, please. Not sure who else could use new recolors.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's "Tetra," not "Toon Zelda," that I'm interested in. If there is a Toon Zelda, it's Tetra's Sheik. If they have Toon Zelda WITHOUT Tetra, it's significantly less interesting dumb.

If they have Toon Zelda WITHOUT Tetra, it's easier to clone or Sakurai is lazy.

Anyhow, I believe that Tingle is much more likely. It is strange as I really wouldn't mind Toon Zelda too much. I just think the notion is repugnant.

Personally I'd much rather have Tingle as the Zelda representative. He could make an interesting moveset. But I don't think he'll make the cut, since his up B would involve balloons (since they're kinda iconic for him), but we can already see Balloon Fighter Helmet, as an item, doing the exact same thing. Makes me wonder if he did make the cut, what could be his up B

?????????????

Smash Master
I wouldn't really mind Tetra and Toon Zelda if Tetra wasn't a clone; however, I am positive that Sakurai intended to utilize Toon Sheik instead. That was just some circumstantial stuff that opposes her likelihood, none of it was definitive. I use representative and character interchangeably (which is certainly erroneous), just to clarify.

I'm fairly certain that Sakurai literally meant "Toon Sheik" as well. Something that I'm both unhappy about, and happy that it didn't happen. It...could be cool, but I don't want to see made-up characters become playable.

I think of characters as literal characters, and representatives as collectives of one slot (Samus and Zero Suit, Zelda and Sheik, etc.). The loose terminology, I think, leads to lots of pointless arguments.

I would not mind Tingle, Toon Zelda, Tetra, or Impa. I think all of them are clearly important Zelda characters. From a gameplay/character standpoint, I would not mind other choices like Skull Kid, Midna, or Vaati, but I think they're significantly less likely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Apparently none of these reasons were deterrents from Sakurai attempting to include her in the past. And to begin programming her, even if she was never completed implies Sakurai was well aware of these things even in the planning phase and still pushed ahead. These notions seem like they would better apply to a character Sakurai hadn't already given the green light.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toon Sheik will never excist, and if she did, she would instantly be the worst Lord, and have the most worthless Landmaster in the game. I wouldn't consider unlocking her even if she has immunity against Ghost attacks, cause with Nidoking, Sigurd and Lanky Kong in the lead, I have all my weaknesses covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom