• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A: I thought you said you were done, remember?

A: Ain't giving in. Explaining in a second:

B: Grow the **** up, kid.
First of all, you should already adress me as 'mister'. Am 6 '****ing' years older than you, and actually have a kid myself.

Get your damn hormones togheter and we'll speak again okay kiddo? ;)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This indeed was the worst DK has ever looked.
I always hated when the DS tried to do a 3D game.
They 3D just looks........
I can't explain it,
It just looks, unappealing.

I don't care if the graphics aren't good, but when they are actually unappealing I can't stand it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The Mario example draws no correlations
If that's what you think I see no reason to try to make you understand the point. It's a completely justifiable comparison. He uses it in only one game, the rest he doesn't. Krystal uses it in one game, the rest she doesn't. You saying it doesn't count because Mario is a bigger franchise doesn't make any sense.

They'd switch out much like the kongs do.
Impa following Zelda around? That's gonna piss people off.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Relevance with Impa surely trumps Sheik, however, what would Impa offer that Sheik doesn't already? As far as I am concerned, the answer to that is: Absolutely nothing. So why even replace the character with somebody who will simply do the same thing?

Alt costume at best for me.
To be fair though, they had gave Sheik an original ninja like moveset to fit her character so they could easily do the same with Impa, besides its not like Ninjas do the same thing as one another. Look at Ninjas from other fighting games like Ibuki, Bang or Guy they have their own styles that make them stand out. Now I don't think Impa would replace Sheik, I'm saying that she can be different from her to work well as a playable character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well what about Toon Link? :awesome:

The problem is that Sheik is part of Zelda, she's more popular, she's a veteran, she's from one of the most significant games in the series, she is the exact same thing as Impa, and Zelda transforms into her. ZELDA DOES NOT TRANSFORM INTO IMPA, DIDDY KONG! Where is this logic you speak of?

A: I thought you said you were done, remember?

Sure, right after I go ask all those Geno fan idiots that think it makes sense to have an irrelevant character with little to do with the mainstream series only because of requests. Surely if they agree it must be true. :rolleyes:
The Impa logic directly correlates to her role in the game as Zelda's protector. No one is denying that Sheik is the same person as Zelda. She does have Smash relevance and everything going for her, when it comes down to it, I do not want a stagnant game with a redundant roster. That is why I support menial changes like Impa replacing Sheik. It doesn't hurt the game-play.

If Smash is to withstand the persistence of time, players will look back and wonder why Sheik was in the game over Impa, who is much more prevalent and important to the story of Zelda. People will wonder why a weird fanfiction-esque character is part of the roster when someone much more suitable and ideal was dismissed because "Sheik is Zelda". That is my mentality.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I find this quite hilarious.

Anyways, regarding the current topic, it think it's pretty inevitable that Krystal will use her staff if she gets in. I'm not going into the Impa debate though, thank you very much.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I didn't think Diddy was as bad as you guys said he was. Guess I learned my lesson. Don't argue with this guy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
ZELDA DOES NOT TRANSFORM INTO IMPA, DIDDY KONG! Where is this logic you speak of?
They'd switch out much like the kongs do.

Not advocating for Sheik's replacement, by the way. If Impa gets in, she should be her own unique character with a moveset different from Sheik's.
Impa would be a separate slot, Zelda would have no Sheik transformation and a new Down B.

I can provide pics if you can't comprehend text well enough yet if you'd like?

Milk and cookies maybe? A bedtime story perhaps? No problem either. :)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Anyways, regarding the current topic, it think it's pretty inevitable that Krystal will use her staff if she gets in.
I see literally no valid reason to. Uniqueness is not a reason. But, if Krystal got in then the logic is clearly being ignored, so in that situation she could inevitably have a vibrator for all I care. :p

Impa would be a separate slot, Zelda would have no Sheik transformation and a new Down B.
It'd be fun, but Impa doesn't really warrant a slot, and people would rather play as Sheik. In fact I think I'd rather be able to switch between them in game.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
How would you guys feel if these were the only newcomers:
1. WFT
2. Megaman
3. Villager
4. Pac-Man
5. Little Mac
6. MIi
7. Dixie Kong
8. Classic Ganon
9. Jumpman
10. Palutena

This is basically based on the Dix-Mii-Jump "leak."
Make Classic Ganon a FS transformation for Ganondorf,
Add in Tingle in his place.
And is JumpMan a DK or Mario newcomer?

Also, can I see this Dixie-Mii-Jump leak?
Ive never heard of it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Anyways, regarding the current topic, it think it's pretty inevitable that Krystal will use her staff if she gets in.
I see literally no valid reason to. Uniqueness is not a reason. But, if Krystal got in then the logic is clearly being ignored, so in that situation she could inevitably have a vibrator for all I care. :p

It'd be fun, but Impa doesn't really warrant a slot, and people would rather play as Sheik. In fact I think I'd rather be able to switch between them in game. Also the comment above you basically explains why Impa is deconfirmed. So you have NO reason to believe she will get in as a playable character. Conversation over.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My thoughts on Impa are that she should absolutely not outright replace Sheik. Zelda turns into Sheik by transformation, because they are the same person. It's not like Zelda would turn into Sheik. Of course, I don't think she's all that likely anyway because of the stiff competition with the rest of the character pool, and the fact that I personally don't think she would draw a lot of hype. Kinda like Starfy to me.

I have many friends who would be like, "Why is there a star fish in this game?" I would then ask myself the same question. Not discrediting Starfy supporters, but I just don't think he is a good choice for a fighting game like Smash. Assist Trophy status is perfect in my opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger
If that's what you think I see no reason to try to make you understand the point. It's a completely justifiable comparison. He uses it in only one game, the rest he doesn't. Krystal uses it in one game, the rest she doesn't. You saying it doesn't count because Mario is a bigger franchise doesn't make any sense.

Impa following Zelda around? That's gonna piss people off.
Mario has DOZENS of appearances, Krystal has 3. So Krystal's one prominent introductory game where she became closely associated with an item of her possession is relevant. Mario doesn't necessarily own FLUDD, Mario didn't debut with FLUDD, Mario isn't closely associated with FLUDD, Mario has many other appearances and items to draw from which attenuate any association with said item. Krystal has ONE thing.

The only comparison is that they each had an item in one game. However, Mario uses FLUDD in Brawl even with only one appearance with FLUDD. So to state that Krystal wouldn't do the same is simply erroneous. Mario also happens to have other inspirations to draw from, Krystal is essentially a blank slot. So using the staff as only one special move is ridiculous, especially considering the notion that the only reason she would be considered directly pertains to the staff.

Impa would be implemented in the same way Sheik is (in my opinion). She wouldn't follow Zelda, ESPECIALLY if she replaced Sheik.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, seeing how Sakurai is emphasising the uniqueness of newcomers, uniqueness will likely be a factor. In fact, with the lower number of roster additions, Smash 4 might be the smash game with the fewest number of newcomer clones/semi-clones.

Morbi

Scavenger
I didn't think Diddy was as bad as you guys said he was. Guess I learned my lesson. Don't argue with this guy.
This is ironic. I mean really?

In any event, I give up, Saturn. I do believe Krystal (if considered) would utilize her staff. If the plethora of reasons I gave didn't convince you... I have got nothing else.

Just to clarify, I do not think Impa will replace Sheik. However, I do WANT her to, I think it is the most ideal approach.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest, the only really plausible semi clone newcomer is Dixie Kong.
Then Toon Zelda to a much lesser extent.
Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about too many clones this time.

Morbi

Scavenger
To be honest, the only really plausible semi clone newcomer is Dixie Kong.
Then Toon Zelda to a much lesser extent.
Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about too many clones this time.
I would honestly argue that Roy is plausible too. There might be more, I have to think on that.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Zelda turns into Sheik by transformation, because they are the same person.

It's not like Zelda would turn into Sheik.
...huh? Typo?

Classic Ganon is pretty important to the Zelda series, I think he would very well as the 5th Zelda rep.
I'd be okay with him. Just as long as he doesn't replace Ganondorf.

----

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would honestly argue that Roy is plausible too. There might be more, I have to think on that.
Oh yeah, right. I guess I considered strict newcomers, not Melee vets returning.
In that case I suppose Roy and Doc are plausible too. And maybe Chrom I guess, if Sakurai does decide to go that route.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, hope you're doing well. Just popping on before I eat (In the mood for homemade Tacos) and the topic iiiiisss...a Ganondorf discussion that doesn't involve his playstyle? That's...not a first, but rare in itself. Well, I say in terms of Ganondorf in Smash 4, just give him his magic projectiles, give him a bit more speed in his step, and give him his sword for some of his attacks, balance everything out. And although this is impossible, I'd love to see Ganondorf wield the Dark Master Sword, that thing had to be one of the coolest blades in all of gaming.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would actually be fine if he replaced Dorf, but I think for "safety measures" he can be an additional transformation for Ganondorf.
Instead of Zelda? Separate Impa instead of Sheik?

Do this.

Ideally of course

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
When it comes to Impa, as much as I think she could be interesting, I don't think it's okay to add an arguably minor character from the Zelda franchise. It's just better to keep who we have now, I mean if anything Sheik is more relevant than he/she was during Brawl's development anyways. So there's no real reason to remove Sheik in the first place this time around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa isn't minor. There aren't many, if any re-occuring Zelda characters with importance comparing to Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. Yet, Impa is pretty much nr.4 when it comes to a sort of 'importance ranking'. That's of course, if you don't count 'Child Link', which you shouldn't, cause Link is Link. Outside of Smash Bros. of course. I wouldn't argue for example that Impa > Toon Link.

What I wrote in the Impa thread a while back:

Y'know, been thinking about Impa again and how underrated she exactly is.

I've been hearing a countless times from people who defend Sheik that 'Sheik is important to the Zelda timeline' while Impa would not be. I cannot stress how wrong this is. Or how this warrants her stay in any way. Take the Downfall Timeline for example, Link dies by Ganon's hand, and Zelda has to seal Ganon and the Triforce away with help of the 6 Sages. Impa, being one of them. So in this way, Impa and Zelda / Sheik are equals, or at least.. Impa and OoT Zelda are equal. Then, Impa becomes a Sage again in ALBW, making her position as a Sage 'fixed' whenever she appears and Sages are a part of the plot. Only Zelda herself did this so far.

Then there's obviously her role in Skyward Sword, which is the most important and influential role of her overal. And of course, the design she'd be based of if she was to appear in Smash. Her Skyward Sword role is especially noticable, as it's the whole beginning of Zelda, and Impa, was serving even Hylia -Zelda's first incaration, as a Goddess!- and she was even her hand-picked warrior! This is easily the biggest position as a Zelda character aside from Link and Zelda themselves. And of course Ganon. So Impa easily comes 4th when it comes to most important Zelda character. She also had a double role in Skyward Sword, and her younger form was mostly thought of as 'Impa' throughout the story, even till the final Boss. Impa being 'Granny' was by far a bigger mind **** than Zelda being Sheik. And Impa even was the first Sage to seal away the Triforce when Link and Zelda went back to the future.

I really don't see how people who claim to know the Zelda franchise don't see Impa as an important character, yet continue to praise Tingle and Tetra for their roles, all which where far less influential than Impa's roles, especially in Skyward Sword. I'm quite certain that Impa is truely the only possible newcomer for a Zelda character. And if not now, surely the next time. Especially if she where to be in Zelda Wii U, or another important new Zelda game. I could see her popularity skyrocket if that would happen. Easily pushing her to one of the more popular new additions in general.
Hope this gives some insight in my opinion.

Alban712

Smash Apprentice
How many assist trophies do you think the game will have per series? In Brawl, only Mario Bros. Series had more than one (3) and IC, DK, Yoshi, Pikimin, KI and G&W didnt have any

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Impa isn't minor. There aren't many, if any re-occuring Zelda characters with importance comparing to Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. Yet, Impa is pretty much nr.4 when it comes to a sort of 'importance ranking'. That's of course, if you don't count 'Child Link', which you shouldn't, cause Link is Link. Outside of Smash Bros. of course. I wouldn't argue for example that Impa > Toon Link.

What I wrote in the Impa thread a while back:

Hope this gives some insight in my opinion.
I respect your opinion. However, I feel the fact that Sheik is a veteran gives her the edge over Impa. I mean, they're certainly not deliberately cutting characters this time around.

Plus, as Ariand said, she's even more relevant than she was pre-Brawl. So I feel that just gives her an edge. Though I do agree to the Zelda franchise as a whole, Impa is more important. But to Zelda herself, thats where Sheik is more important.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I

Impa definitely has something going for her, and its clear that the main obstacle is Shiek. While i would be okay with zelda/shiek being replaced by a zelda/impa duo, It may not happen due to Shiek being a 2 time veteran and counterpart to Zelda. You could potentially swap them out for each other and it would make no difference. I mean, the whole purpose of Shiek is to disguise Zelda as a member of the Shiekah tribe, the tribe that has protected the royal family for generations and that is where Impa is from. So, in a sense, Zelda is trying to impersonate Impa, so there would be no point to switching them out. However, it would be okay to do so because they are so similar, so it would (most likely) not make a difference in the end other than a change in aesthetics. She does appear more and it make more sense to have her in.

I'm sort of wondering what would have happened if Shiek didn't have artwork for Twilight Princess, because at that point, the guardian version of Impa and Shiek would have had the same number of games (I think, i know Impa was in oracles, but she didn't do much other than tell you "Hey, that's Din over there.")

At this point, Impa has, by far, a more prominent role in the series, and as a dual character with Zelda would make sense just like Shiek did.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But Diddy, Impa's real only major role is really the one she had in Skyward Sword. Otherwise she's just a minor character that happens to be a sage (even if this role is consistent, she's still basically Zelda's Toad. Which is a role that hasn't helped him much).
I mean I can't really argue much on Tetra's case (even though she is Zelda so, she's still justifiable) but Tingle has his own games. I don't understand how that doesn't make him worth more consideration than Impa.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
But Diddy, Impa's real only major role is really the one she had in Skyward Sword. Otherwise she's just a minor character that happens to be a sage (even if this role is consistent, she's still basically Zelda's Toad).
I mean I can't really argue much on Terra's case (even though she is Zelda so, she's still justifiable) but Tingle has his own games. I don't understand how that doesn't make him worth more consideration than Impa.
Lol I can see Zelda summoning Impa for a neutral-B attack, it would be a meat-shield just like Toad. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom