• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Morning fellows! Im done my first final so im gonna chime in before I have to start studying again.

So starfox eh?

Well, concerning Krystal, she does have the potential to be unique, blah blah blah, the point is Wolf is definitely more important to the series, especially because Krystal represents, arguably, the downfall of the Starfox series, where the games became less popular (although I really did like Adventures, you have to take it for what it is and not what you wanted.)

I would actually be okay with Falco being cut and replaced with someone who can have a more unique moveset, such as Krystal, because at this point we have Fox, Fox 2 and a similar of Fox in Wolf ( I wouldnt consider them clones, but very similar.) Although it probably wont happen, Falco is a 2 time veteran.

Most likely, the Starfox series will recieve no new characters, but they may be further luigified to help differentiate them. And please Sakurai, give them different FS's

Great Fox laser blast, carpet bomb, land master, 3 different FS, done.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
No Arwing?
The carpet bomb would be from an Arwing, as in they quickly speed past the stage and drop a bunch of tiny bombs that cover a large area.

Although an arwing similar to the way Snake worked, how he jumps into the foreground, would work as well, and you could laser blast people or even homing laser them by charging.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think they would rework Falco before replacing him completely. I don't think it's that big of an issue that it needs to be completely scrapped. If they add a few new attacks to his moveset, then he's all set.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
.Great Fox laser blast, carpet bomb, land master, 3 different FS, done.
It should be like that:

Fox - Landmaster
Falco - Airwing
Wolf - Calling the Star Wolf team to shoot enemies with their Wolfens.

I guess it's just people at work or school.
My classes will only end day 20 but I am not going to school anymore. There is no reason to go to school now that the professors have decided who was aproved and who was not.

Morbi

Scavenger
So,who is expecting a newcomer for this month or the next month?
I suppose I am, I wouldn't use the term "expecting"; as I do not truly think that it is likely. Logic would dictate that it is apparent a newcomer is necessary; however, Sakurai operates on an entirely different rationale.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I expect Mii, aka Penis Face to be revealed.

No seriously, that'd blow.

Diddy, Zelda, Wario, Ice Climbers or MetaKnight / King Dedede seem the most likely.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I'm not expecting a newcomer till a Nintendo direct or interview or something, and even then I'll be skeptical
but when it comes to veterans, I'm expecting one either the rest of this week, or next week (actually personally I'm expecting one tomorrow)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't even see why the hell people think Krystal would use a staff she only used once and no longer from a Rareware game that wasn't well received or even a Star Fox game. Just because she had it once and it's unique? Might as well give Sonic his Black Knight Sword. So if Krystal doesn't have a staff and she's another clone, you can sure as hell confirm that's not happening. As if she even deserved a spot as a character herself. It would make the Star Fox representation completley unbalanced and thus Krystal shouldn't even be considered.

Impa vs Sheik.
What kind of contest is that?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Im expecting a Direct in January showcasing upcoming Wii U and 3DS games for 2014, and with that, Smash, considering its for both consoles. At that point, I would expect a newcomer, but I would much rather know other stuff about the game. (Story mode, online features, customization, etc.)

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Just by going off of the number of characters shown in E3 trailer, we'll probably see Marth, Peach, Luigi, TL, Olimar & more of Sonic in action along with the rest of the Smash 64 cast, new characters that I'd hope would be shown are Mac, Shulk or Palutena.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't even see why the hell people think Krystal would use a staff she only used once and no longer from a Rareware game that wasn't well received or even a Star Fox game. Just because she had it once and it's unique? Might as well give Sonic his Black Knight Sword. So if Krystal doesn't have a staff and she's another clone, you can sure as hell confirm that's not happening. As if she even deserved a spot as a character herself. It would make the Star Fox representation completley unbalanced and thus Krystal shouldn't even be considered.

What kind of contest is that?
Last time I checked, StarFox Adventures was definitely a StarFox game.

Why wouldn't she use it btw? It's easily the most unique thing she has going for her. Wolf didn't feature anything from StarFox Assault either in Brawl, and that was Krystal's only other possibly appearance for moveset inspiration. In Command, nobody left their Arwings so there's nothing to base her off. Seriously, I would pick Krystal as the 4th StarFox character cause of her uniqueness. Even though Slippy would also be hilarious...

Not that I'm saying she's likely or anything, but she's definitely the most 'unique' potential addition from the StarFox series. And with 'unique' I mean, she wouldn't have a laser gun, illusion Side B, reflector shield Down B or a Landmaster. Which is what everyone is complaining about despite Fox, Falco and Wolf's moves being at least 88% different aside from these. :rolleyes:

Gune

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about AT' s all day today and I beleive I have the perfect mega man AT other than protoman Zero or Bass, The Mega man killers consisting of Enker, Punk and my personal favorite Ballade how likely do you guys think they are for AT's?

Morbi

Scavenger
Last time I checked, StarFox Adventures was definitely a StarFox game.

Why wouldn't she use it btw? It's easily the most unique thing she has going for her. Wolf didn't feature anything from StarFox Assault either in Brawl, and that was Krystal's only other possibly appearance for moveset inspiration. In Command, nobody left their Arwings so there's nothing to base her off. Seriously, I would pick Krystal as the 4th StarFox character cause of her uniqueness. Even though Slippy would also be hilarious...

Not that I'm saying she's likely or anything, but she's definitely the most 'unique' potential addition from the StarFox series. And with 'unique' I mean, she wouldn't have a laser gun, illusion Side B, reflector shield Down B or a Landmaster. Which is what everyone is complaining about despite Fox, Falco and Wolf's moves being at least 88% different aside from these. :rolleyes:
This essentially summarizes my thoughts on the notion. I do see where Saturn is coming from, it is just one appearance; however, if Krystal was to be implemented I do not think Sakuria would disregard the most prominent source material as inspiration. That would certainly be erroneous.

The major difference is that Sonic has a plethora of appearances without the sword, Krystal does not. So the premise is fallacious, they are not even comparable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as Newcomer reveals, I am assuming we're getting one to three in an upcoming Nintendo Direct showcasing 2014 releases. We likely won't get a newcomer until then.

Actually, as another subject, let's talk about who else gets revealed if the rumored Spring release is true.

So far we've got pretty much all obvious characters besides Toon Link and Sonic. So with obvious characters remaining, I would say we have Yoshi, Wario, Meta Knight, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers,...and some others. Maybe even Ike.

I just find this interesting. I know somebody said earlier that the guy who mentioned Smash and Mario Kart took back what he said. But there had to be some reason he took it back. Really, it may very well be press release stuff to cover it up. Nintendo has been getting slaughtered with stuff getting leaked lately.

I really should go start Assassins Creed on my PS4. I've had it since launch and haven't touched it. Oy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ah. Understandable.

Anyway, I think we're going to get a more firm release window for Smash when we get a trailer in the Nintendo Direct.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I Have a feeling that he just grouped together mario kart and smash as upcoming releases, and spring just came out. We knew Kart had a tentative release of spring 2014, I dont really expect that to be the date, but hey, im all for being wrong about this one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@Impa vs. Sheik
Impa. I think a recurring supporting character with fairly large roles in multiple games (which is nothing to scoff at for a Zelda character that isn't one of the main three) that's been around since the series started has more business being in Smash than a one-time facet of Zelda. That said, Sheik has already showed up twice, and she's gotten pretty popular, so chances are she's going to stick around.

I'd prefer Impa (though I don't dislike Sheik). Come at me. :p

@Krystal
Yeah, her chances aren't good. If Starfox had received a new game since Brawl and if they weren't already more-than-decently represented, it'd be a much different story. There are just too many characters that outclass her now, and even though I'd personally like to see her quite a bit, popularity in the west isn't enough to outweigh all the things against her.

Though should circumstances change, I still think she could have a shot in the future of Smash, but only if Starfox... you know, starts getting games again. With Krystal in them.

And unless she starts showing off a totally new and viable fighting style, chances are, unless Sakurai adds her with the intent of making her a clone, she will use the staff in at least some capacity (yeah yeah, she could be a clone even with the staff - but come on, that's not going to happen - the most is one or two attacks that resemble the existing SF moveset). Just because she's only been shown with it in one game doesn't negate the fact that it's still very closely associated with her and actually offers her a moveset Sakurai wouldn't have to fabricate.

@Newcomer
I doubt we'll get one this month, but whenever Nintendo wants to have one of those giant super Directs like the one last Jan, I think a newcomer being revealed wouldn't be out of the question, especially if the game is to release this Spring. Though who really knows, it's Sakurai.

This month my bet is still on Zelda. Though maybe if we're lucky we'll get two veterans.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm nearly positive any huge Direct will showcase at least one newcomer, perhaps a veteran or two as well.

If any more trailers are released at any point, there would probably be a newcomer showcased as well. I'm aware newcomers were said to be shown in trailers, though I'd also like to think any trailers that aren't made specefically for showing off a newcomer would at least have a veteran reveal, if not a reveal of newcomer.

Morbi

Scavenger
Impa vs Sheik.
Impa, that is fairly obvious and overt. It isn't like she isn't more reoccurring, more relevant, more important, or more suited or anything like that. In all seriousness, the more prevalent and noteworthy character significant to the story of more than one game is always going to be the more ideal choice.

In Smash? Same. Obviously Sheik has the Smash relevance; however, it makes more sense (to me) to have Zelda's guard... I don't know, guard? It is quite negligent of Impa to let Zelda fight all alone. In that event match Link has to pick up her slack, not cool, bro!

Preference? I actually like Sheik more. That doesn't manipulate my logic though, and I would honestly prefer to see Impa as it is something new and fun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I love how people are actually taking the small comment 'Impa vs Sheik' serious :laugh: Also, <3 to N3ON for her logic and good choices.

The next Direct though...?

Am wondering how many are gonna brace themselves up for dissapointment Ridley again? :rolleyes:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not gonna brace myself for anyone in particular. I have no clue what newcomer/s in particular would be shown in one of those bigger Directs. I'd expect at least one newcomer, but I am going to prepare for disappointment as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
I love how people are actually taking the small comment 'Impa vs Sheik' serious :laugh: Also, <3 to N3ON for her logic and good choices.

The next Direct though...?

Am wondering how many are gonna brace themselves up for dissapointment Ridley again? :rolleyes:
Ridley is one of those options that I am never entirely sure about. When I first joined, I thought that Ridley was imminent and the most ideal choice. He has an utterly staggering amount of Smash relevance with sufficient demand and apparent support. The other premise in his favor is the fact that he has no other plausible Metroid characters to compete with (aside from perhaps Anthony). However, the overt Ridley support in relation to the opposition has conceived a disdain for the notion of his inclusion. Many wish to proclaim that the size argument has been thoroughly refuted, obviously it has not. Disregarding the problem doesn't necessarily ensure that the problem doesn't exist.

The ONLY reason I think Ridley is the most likely candidate is that Sakurai already taunted the fan-base. It would not be deemed wise to not include Ridley after heavily alluding to his inclusion. If it wasn't for his actions, I would honestly assert that he is not the most likely character. Many dismiss the notion that he his aesthetics might be detrimental on the 3DS version (I suppose most people don't mind how repugnant Donkey Kong looks). Many disregard that Sakurai didn't initially comprehend what his inclusion would entail (this is negligible as he would realize that Ridley does not need to be inherently slow to be properly implemented). One of the biggest problems I have with Ridley is that he will most definitely take up additional development time.

Will he be fun to play? Most likely, so that is why I want him.

Just my thoughts on his inclusion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Have just brought it up because at any sort of Nintendo related reveal, some of the die-hard Ridley fans always pop up claiming the next update MUST be about Smash, and that Ridley MUST be revealed in it. Am surprised it hasn't turned in some sort of running gag here.

I also don't think DK looks that bad honestly. Am quite sure his new look expands dongs everywhere.

Also, Yoshi's reveal is quite overdue now indeed.

Morbi

Scavenger
Have just brought it up because at any sort of Nintendo related reveal, some of the die-hard Ridley fans always pop up claiming the next update MUST be about Smash, and that Ridley MUST be revealed in it. Am surprised it hasn't turned in some sort of running gag here.

I also don't think DK looks that bad honestly. Am quite sure his new look expands dongs everywhere.

Also, Yoshi's reveal is quite overdue now indeed.
On the 3DS? That fur texture doesn't make you cringe? Maybe it is just me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People gotta learn to pace themselves and ration the information. We've gotten, what, six characters since E3, which itself revealed 12 characters?

You know what we got for Brawl? Nine characters in the trailer, and then a year with only Fox and Samus being revealed.

We're doing fine, and we'll get a newcomer when we get a newcomer, which probably isn't that much more of a wait, considering the pics are actually pretty consistently giving new information and we're closing in on (the supposed) release window. Plus Nintendo is almost definitely going to start hitting hard with their Directs next year, they need to.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
But muh Ridley,he is the most wanted newcomer and obviously he is not a hazard or a boss!
He is a shoo-in!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wonder how many more newcomers will be revealed? Probably far less than in Brawl. Maybe, four more? Besides Pac-Man, and Miis I wouldn't really know who else they'd show. It would be cool if the kept Chrom/Roy a secret character. (Or whichever FE character they add)

I have this feeling King K. Rool is going to be this game's version of Ridley during Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom