• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Saturn, why cannot you just support Diskun and leave it at that? Predicting him is only setting yourself for disappointment... I am not even expecting Duck Hunt Dog but I support him because I just love the idea.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There needs to be a meme for hypocritical posts.
The only propaganda I do is constantly hating the idea of Chrom and Lucina in Super Smash Bros.

I don't exactly go out of my way explaining constantly why Diskun, Nintendog, Dr. Kawasaki, Impa, and My Left Sock are the best things ever created and if you hate it you're going to burn in hell.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Diskun as an AT. He can disperse into pixels, reform into a random player, and perform a final smash.
If an Assist Trophy has to be given an ability in order to perform it only make you wonder why it wasn't just improvised a complete move set and made a character.

I also wonder why people suggest Dark Pit or Kumatora as Assist Trophies. Why don't you just fight Pit and Lucas!?

The only propaganda I do is constantly hating the idea of Chrom and Lucina in Super Smash Bros.
Accusing someone of trying too hard is hypocritical of anyone on this forum for any topic.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Left Sock doesn't deserve to be in Smash. Right Sock is more important and is recent and relevant.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I feel as if Sakurai is going to represent another console for some reason, the SNES, or maybe GB has a chance. You have:

Game n watch represnting game and watch games

ROB for NES

I dont know why he would represent the same generation of home consoles twice, although to be fair, famicom is pretty different from NES in some respects, and I dont really know how GB or SNES could be represented by a character...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Left Sock doesn't deserve to be in Smash. Right Sock is more important and is recent and relevant.

Left Sock is more iconic though. Everybody remembers Left Sock. It even looks more iconic. Having that fruit punch stain on it from three weeks ago.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I feel as if Sakurai is going to represent another console for some reason, the SNES, or maybe GB has a chance. You have:

Game n watch represnting game and watch games

ROB for NES

I dont know why he would represent the same generation of home consoles twice, although to be fair, famicom is pretty different from NES in some respects, and I dont really know how GB or SNES could be represented by a character...
I always thought Mr. G&W was repping the GB, since G&W's are similar to GB's and there portable and junk, plus he had games on the GB so....

I think the system "reps" are done for now, WFT being the latest addition.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Muddy Mole could represent the Game Boy era... not sure about a SNES era character... maybe ST Falcon from BattleClash?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Right Sock and Left Sock are both shoo-ins.

They're going to be the new bosses of Classic Mode and will be renamed "Master Sock" and "Crazy Sock" respectively.

D

Deleted member

Everyone knows the best "obscure and historical character" is Jumpman.

(No wonder Jumpman is so easy to troll with, look at his head; doesn't it seem a little...familiar? :troll:)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, now that Jumpman has been brought up as a possibility, the forum's irrational skeptics can claim that people were guessing him left and right if he's leaked a day before the E3 at which the next Smash is revealed. :troll:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Menly? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE! :p

Keep in mind I suck at making move sets, but here's what I'd do

Neutral B: Spin Attack
Forward B: Disk throw
Downward B: Mic (Uses the Famicom Mic to create a sound wave.)
Upward B: Some **** from Janken Disk Shiro (I haven't played the game.)

There it's just as interesting if not more than Neandrethal's Pac-Man move set that everyone supports.

But, oh wait! Diskun deconfirmed because too similar to Starfy. Same with Lucario, he's too similar to Mewtwo. :troll:
I actually support the one that i made in the make your move forum. I need to update it though.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Since there's talk of ridiculous characters afoot (Diskun, Kawashima), here I am - back from the dead - to once again throw in my own two cents on what ridiculous character should be playable:

Go home rookies, here's a true Nintendo veteran and all-star. :troll:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Since there's talk of ridiculous characters afoot (Diskun, Kawashima), here I am - back from the dead - to once again throw in my own two cents on what ridiculous character should be playable:

Go home rookies, here's a true Nintendo veteran and all-star. :troll:
But you'd have to install ramps on all of the stages for him to be playable! :troll:

CalumG

Smash Lord
But you'd have to install ramps on all of the stages for him to be playable! :troll:
Well, although it's a joke idea at heart, realistically I could see Excitebiker not riding on his bike throughout the entire match - rather, he'd run about and do punches/kicks just like Captain Falcon, but he'd pull his bike out from hammerspace whenever the attack in question requires it. :^p

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, although it's a joke idea at heart, realistically I could see Excitebiker not riding on his bike throughout the entire match - rather, he'd run about and do punches/kicks just like Captain Falcon, but he'd pull his bike out from hammerspace whenever the attack in question requires it. :^p
Excitebiker (and to a lesser extent, Mach Rider) confirmed to be Wario clones. :troll:

CalumG

Smash Lord
I live out my days in the hope that Sakurai is a kind enough deity to replace Wario's bike with his Wario Land charge. :troll:

#spoiledbyProjectM #whyamihashtagging

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I live out my days in the hope that Sakurai is a kind enough deity to replace Wario's bike with his Wario Land charge. :troll:

#spoiledbyProjectM #whyamihashtagging
Apparently his forward smash isn't good enough for you.

Here's an idea.
Keep da bike as his forward special and improve his forward smash to make him go a bit farther and possibly give Wario the ability to jump when using it.

#replaceyoass

-----

CalumG

Smash Lord
I don't have the energy to debate my opinions on Wario's moveset right now so I'll just copypasta myself from another thread:
I'll agree with most of what's been said in this thread - Wario should definitely be more inspired by his Wario Land incarnation (though I do love the WarioWare outfit style). Off the top of my head it'd be nice to see a Wario Land inspired Dash Attack, his side-B bike replaced with the Charge/Shoulder attack from Wario Land, and as somebody mentioned earlier, it'd fit Wario to a tee if he were able to pick up and carry around characters like DK can.

I'm not suggesting all of this out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia for the Wario Land series - I've only played 3, 4 and Shake It, and I didn't even enjoy Shake It - but out of simple logic when it comes to designing a Smash Bros. character. When people see their favourite character (or an iconic one at the least), they have certain expectations about that character, especially if that character has been playable numerous times (as opposed to characters like Bowser who are primarily NPC's). You think of Mario and you think of a character with good mobility, good jumps, fireballs, etc. When you think of Link, you think of a few iconic moves like the Spin Attack. If you play as Samus you expect a good projectile game, with Sonic you expect lots of speed and lots of rolling, with Olimar you expect to be throwing plenty of Pikmin around, with Yoshi you expect him to bring his tongue out and have a flutter jump, and so on.

We have these expectations because we've already played as these characters before, so we expect that they'll carry these fundamental traits over to Smash Bros., even if they are heavily adapted to match the format. Wario absolutely betrayed our expectations on how he should play - and although surprises in Smash are mostly good, this was not a clever move on Sakurai's part. The easiest way to sum it up is this; why would Sakurai base Wario's playstyle off of a game where Wario isn't even playable? They had dozens of moves and ideas to work with regarding a playable Wario that fans of Wario would be familiar with, but they completely betrayed them in the interest of basing Wario around his more recent games despite not even being a playable character in them, in the traditional sense at least.

I love the WarioWare games (moreso than the Land series) but even to those of you who dislike Wario Land, it shouldn't be hard to see the absolute hole in Sakurai's logic when he came around to making Wario's moveset. At the end of the day, a character should be based more on their playable appearances than their non-playable appearances when possible - that seems like one of the most obvious possible guidelines for implementing a character into Smash, yet it was blatantly and unashamedly ignored with Wario.​
But then, I also believe Captain Falcon's Side B is long overdue for a change that better represents his series, so I'm probably in the minority regarding alterations of veterans. Disregard my opinions, i suck dix, etc etc

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon's Side B is reflective of the side tackle technique of the F-Zero games. (Especially with the "miss while near the edge and you're ****ed" aspect)

Can't get more representative than that unless you want him to somehow spawn his car to do it.

EDIT: Aside from that, what can be it changed to in order to better represent the series if it didn't already? The series is literally about driving flying race cars, and unlike Mario Kart, there's no weapons/items to make him use under the logic of "you can use these while racing".

CalumG

Smash Lord
Is that what Raptor Boost is supposed to be based on? Huh. And here I thought Sakurai pulled it out of his arse like with most of Falcon's other moves.

D

Deleted member

Except, all his specials are reflective of something (though some might be stretched, like Falcon Dive).

Falcon Punch = Spin Attack (a stretch, but both are powerful strikes that take precise timing to be effective)
Raptor Boost/Falcon Knuckle = Side Tackle
Falcon Dive = Jump Pad (no explanation for the grabbing and exploding aspect, other than some tracks having mines as obstacles)
Falcon Kick = Boost

EDIT: Just like Fox.

Blaster = Lasers on an Arwing
Fox Illusion = Boost
Fire Fox = Boost (yes, two based off of Boosting; this one is more like Braking followed with Boosting)
Reflector = Barrel Roll (specifically the "reflect enemy fire" aspect from 64)

CalumG

Smash Lord
I guess what I'd like from Falcon is a more literal representation of F-Zero as a series - maybe a move where he literally 'boosts' with few end-lag frames at the cost of his own health, or an actual spin attack to represent, well... the spin attack.

But again, I'm not saying it's a good idea or that I'm not in the minority; these are just personal things I'd want from Falcon. For the sake of tradition, these ideas would probably be better off mapped onto an F-Zero newcomer than forced onto Falcon's pre-existing moveset.

Just brainstorming here, most of it isn't particularly coherent~

D

Deleted member

If every character were to be 100% literal in what their techniques were to be, we wouldn't have any viable character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom