• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because a rigged fan poll and some limited collateral support doesn't have the importance people thought it would. If Skull Kid were to be included, it would've happened long before Smash 4. Unless he starts making major appearances again (and not just in remakes), his time has passed.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh i forgot you guys know everything. Kind of like how we had a five character reveal at E3. Where Ridley, Takamaru, Mewtwo, Toad, and Megaman were revealed. You know how AC was a character that was deconfirmed? And how anyone who expected WFTrainer would have been laughed at.

You're right, you guys got this prediction thing down.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Oh i forgot you guys know everything. Kind of like how we had a five character reveal at E3. Where Ridley, Takamaru, Mewtwo, Toad, and Megaman were revealed. You know how AC was a character that was deconfirmed? And how anyone who expected WFTrainer would have been laughed at.

You're right, you guys got this prediction thing down.
Yep. We can't read Sakurai's mind. The pattern is that there is no pattern.
So what's the point of predicting in the first place? I guess we should just close this thread already.

:troll:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yep. We can't read Sakurai's mind. The pattern is that there is no pattern.
So what's the point of predicting in the first place? I guess we should just close this thread already. :troll:

My point is don't call someone ******** for being wrong, when you ALL have been REALLY wrong in the past. Play nice you little assholes.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The site is currently up, but running slower than it normally does. (for me at least)

No offense to any Skull Kid supporters, but Skull Kid never really had a good chance as a playable character. Since the boards are up and I enjoy discussing Zelda, I guess I'll try and break it down-

While a popular choice for a Smash newcomerr, he had many obstacles in his way. First off, his only truly important role was in Majora's Mask, while a different (probably a different) Skull Kid had a much smaller, though also partially important role in Twilight Princess as he was the one who guided Link through the Sacred Grove, where he would eventually find the Master Sword, and later on, the Temple of Time. (while also playing a cruel game of hide & seek with him) Though his role in the plot overall isn't that important.

Other possible Zelda newcomers get in his way as well. Sakurai believes it's important to have a child version of Link in Smash, and once considered adding Toon Zelda as well and even worked on her a bit in Brawl. Whether Sakurai considered her unnecessary shortly before release or time constraints got in her way, she is still a possibility this time around as he may wish to give her a second shot. She is surprisingly a fairly popular character, though certainly not comparable to many other possible newcomeres (Ridley, K. Rool, Little Mac, Shulk, Palutena and many others) in term of popularity. Tetra, who could either be her own character or as a transformation for TZ, is also a decently popular possible Zelda newcomer, and one with potential to be unique as well.

Tingle is also surprisingly popular around here, though the amount of hate he gets from America overall gets in his way. Still, he has potential, has a partially important role in Wind Waker (he is needed to decipher the Triforce Charts) and even has a few spin-offs of his own. While widely disliked in America, he is a rather popular character in Japan.

There are other possible (though in my opinion, less likely) characters such as Vaati and Impa, though I'm not gonna get into details on them.

At this point Sakurai may feel the Zelda series should simply not have any more characters, at least, not at this time around, which wouldn't be very surprising to me. Personally, I don't think Zelda needs another character, but I don't think a Zelda newcomer would be unecessary either. If anything, it'd be a bonus.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Well, I just lost my hype for tonight with 3.0. See you guys later, I'm playing that!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Majora is probably the most requested LoZ character outside of the four already in Smash. Seeing him as an AT makes me wonder why he was placed as one?
Because requests mean nothing when you're not important enough to your series.

I believe he was included because of this popularity, no doubt. But why would he not be playable? Was his popularity shown too late (Like through fan polls / sites) in development?
Popularity! Popularity! Popularity! I don't understand! I'm using all the popularity I have and it still isn't working! Should I get more popularity!? Quick, try the requests!

does he actually have a more specific criteria than we thought
What's this WE stuff? You fed him the tainted patty! To answer your question: YES. Sakurai has more specific criteria beyond requests and popularity. Such as potential and importance.

I PROMISE we will see the top 20 newcomers put in Smash 4 somehow. Playable or not
Don't break that promise now. :p

Unless MM3D is going to be revealed soon, there is no other real "reason" behind adding him other than people think he's cool.
Right, because Skull Kid being the second most iconic Zelda villian and Majora's Mask being a very popular classic wasn't a real reason to add this character as an Assist Trophy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wasn't aware that people not predicting everything perfectly was cause for justifying any character thereafter. :rolleyes:

There's still a reason predicting some characters is seen as more legitimate than others, because for every unexpected (but not illogical) addition, there are several that actually were expected by a significant amount of people. Sure Skull Kid wasn't impossible, but was pretty illogical. He was a one-time major character with his only big role being pre-Melee, with popularity localized mostly to the west and largely composed of troll votes that were submitted to Sakurai via a source he probably gets literally thousands of requests from.

At least Villager and WFT have pretty obvious reasons for inclusion that amount to more than just "at first glace he seems to be popular here", even if they were unexpected. Which for the former was only due to Sakurai himself.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Since the boards are back up, I suppose this is a good celebration: I made this Special Roster today. Rather than adding just the characters that will make the final cut, I added all the characters I think will most likely be planned from the getco. So without further ado, here is that roster.
DISLCAIMER: I don't predict the final roster will be 50. This is just what I think the plan will be.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I be thinking that if we get a Zelda newcomer, it'll be Toon Zelda/Tetra, or Tingle. Phantoms is right, she's pretty popular and Tetra has lots of potential. TZ will end up being a clone though. On the subject of Cranky, a Reggie Trainer with Bandana Dee, Cranky, and Rosalina. Final Smash: Readies their bodies. Check sob's picture on the previous page.

You like that, don't you?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Since the boards are back up, I suppose this is a good celebration: I made this Special Roster today. Rather than adding just the characters that will make the final cut, I added all the characters I think will most likely be planned from the getco. So without further ado, here is that roster.
DISLCAIMER: I don't predict the final roster will be 50. This is just what I think the plan will be.
I'd get rid of any character from a new series you think will be planned but not implemented in the finalized version. There's very little precedent of Sakurai cutting an entire series when axing planned characters. Look at the Forbidden 7, none of them were from new series. Probably because of the extra effort Sakurai goes to when including new series. If he plans them initially, they're likely to stick.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd get rid of any character from a new series you think will be planned but not implemented in the finalized version. There's very little precedent of Sakurai cutting an entire series when axing planned characters. Look at the Forbidden 7, none of them were from new series. Probably because of the extra effort Sakurai goes to when including new series. If he plans them initially, they're likely to stick.
I don't think any planned series won't be implemented.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wasn't aware that people not predicting everything perfectly was cause for justifying any character thereafter.

Wow, understatement of the year. You mean predicted everything wrong, except Megaman? You know, character amount, as well as choices. And say what you want, but your "logical" way of thinking would have deducted WFT wasn't a "logical" choice regardless of how well Wii Fit did. And you can't be more "ILLOGICAL" than to predict a character who was told wouldn't be in Smash because he can't fight. Why should I trust what you think is "logical" when prior to said reveal what most people predicted WAS logical. You all don't know ****, which is totally fine. I don't have a problem with people not knowing ****. My E3 reveal was just as wrong. It's when you predict something, and it's almost completely wrong, and then you call someone ******** for getting predicting a single character wrong (no matter how "illogical" it was) you gotta just step back and think about what you're saying.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Then keep it the way it is. Nine is a little high though.
10. And yeah I know that's a lot of new series. Nine was a lot even before. There's always going to be something wrong in my rosters. All I can do is ignore it. Fixing will only create another equally big if not bigger problem. It's not like fixing that will make my roster 100% accurate. :p

(Not that I'm being lazy. I work my ass of to make these rosters the best they can be.)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What's happening? Sakurai is showing pics with moves,items and interesting things!
Where are my Luigi's nose and WFT's butt pics?!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What's happening? Sakurai is showing pics with moves,items and interesting things!
Where are my Luigi's nose and WFT's butt pics?!
He's saving those to post in response to the inevitable "NEWCOMER ON CHRISTMAS" hype train that will begin manifesting itself shortly, if it hasn't already.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry, but the coolest Zelda newcomer imaginable (after Skull Kid) is simply Varen. No contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom