• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm probably one of the few people that don't like memes get included in SSB.
Don't get me wrong, if done in a clever way, they're hillarious (looking at you Keyboard Cat in Earthworm Jim HD), but NOT in a Nintendo All Stars fighting game with very tight roster spots.

To have something so... short-lived as an internet meme in a game about immortalizing Nintendo characters is just plain insulting...
So Reggie, Iwata, Shigeru, or even Non-Specific Action figure can all stay the heck away from the character roster.

If people want real-life people put into a game about All-Stars, there's always the "Sonic & All Stars" series which has now a total of THREE real-life people in its latest game. :p Nintendo is more respectable than that... right?

Morbi

Scavenger
Id like to think we show some level of intelligence. I have had some meaningful conversations here, but gameFAQs is just a **** show. Here, the worst it gets is being overwhelmed with gifs and memes.
I honestly see no apparent differences. It is about how the members of the community maintain themselves. Gamefaqs is more colloquial, as such, the community comes across as more unprofessional. However, the site is irrelevant to the content of the discussion. For instance, if we were to perform an exodus and migrate to Gamefaqs, nothing would have inherently changed. It is the standard of discussion that would change as we are used to having a more in-depth version of Smash discussion. There are intelligent members on Gamefaqs, and there are certainly ignorant members on Smashboards.

I can understand what you mean. However, I believe it is fallacious to discredit a community with an entirely different intent and environment. It could be described as ethnocentrism.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So the site is back up. Cool. So anyway I'm probably the last person to connect a stage with a character appearance, but I feel like Streetpass was made for Mii to have a home stage. But, then again we already had Wuhu Island.

I'm surprised we have Streetpass as a stage, but not SwapNote.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Id like to think we show some level of intelligence. I have had some meaningful conversations here, but gameFAQs is just a **** show. Here, the worst it gets is being overwhelmed with gifs and memes.
Thats what im saying, and since many here have a better idea about sakurai and his possible decisions based on the evidence we have from him in articles and past decisions we can at least discuss what would be feasable where as there its like starting from square one where everyone has to be informed of something beforehand. Think of it like the people who still think rare owns dk, it gets old with the same old song and dance having to tell them how it is and i see it as the same way with people on other sites when it comes to smash bros. Sure we get the occasional nut coming in with unreasonable requests and expectations, but for the most part many here can look at things in a plausible manner. But like morbid said i guess we cant discredit an entire site based on a few, but still the environment makes a big difference.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Why don't we discuss more Layton, there's a few articles where Sakurai was interested in including Professor Layton, even from the creator of the series is interested.
Wait... Where did you hear that about Sakurai? The only articles I know were the ones where Layton was requested to both Sakurai and Hino together during a talkshow and where Hino stated that it would be a wonderful opportunity to have Layton in Smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Wait... Where did you hear that? The only articles I know were the ones where Layton was requested to both Sakurai and Hino together during a talkshow and where Hino stated that it would be a wonderful opportunity to have Layton in Smash.
Yeah I'm not so sure, but people have been clamoring over the past months that Sakurai was interested in the character Layton.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm not so sure, but people have been clamoring over the past months that Sakurai was interested in the character Layton.
Well I have heard a few people here mentioning to me that Sakurai is good friends with Hino but they have yet to verify this to me. :/

But wether that friendship (if it's true) would go towards interest for Layton and Smash is a whole other story....

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah Hino is definitely open towards the idea for Layton in Smash so that's at least good in his favor. I would have liked to see a video of that talkshow though, apparently someone here who did watch it said that Hino was indeed very open to the idea of having Layton in Smash Bros. Would have liked to know Sakurai's opinion though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It is always good to know that it would be quite easy to obtain the license if Sakurai desired to do so. Even if it is just in the form of a background character or assist trophy.
I don't think it's worth signing lots of papers just to get Layton as an AT or a background element. If anything, he'll end up being a character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think it's worth signing lots of papers just to get Layton as an AT or a background element. If anything, he'll end up being a character.
This basically. Even if said third party company is very open to having their franchise represented, you still have to go through a lot of hassle to get them in in the first place, so you might as well make it worthwhile and make one of their main stars playable (as well as giving them a stage, assist trophy and a few of trophies and stickers etc.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This basically. Even if said third party company is very open to having their franchise represented, you still have to go through a lot of hassle to get them in in the first place, so you might as well make it worthwhile and make one of their main stars playable as well as giving them a stage, assist trophy and a few of trophies and stickers etc.
This is exactly what I had to explain to my friends the other day when we were throwing around ideas for Smash Bros.
Why would Sakurai go through all that trouble to get an assist trophy/background element?

Morbi

Scavenger
I am just trying to be optimistic. I don't really think we are going to get him over some of the other candidates... namely Snake and Pacman.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm struggling with my roster. I want to keep Issac, but I also want a Famicom Wars character (keep in mind that when I say want, I mean in order to be realistic, not preference.) I was thinking about removing Palutena and she seems like the best choice to go, but then I worry about having too many newcomer franchises (10). I also have concerns with Starfy, yet can't bring myself to remove him due to him being deserving.

Can someone help me out WITHOUT basing everything off muh popularity and muh requests?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I am just trying to be optimistic. I don't really think we are going to get him over some of the other candidates... namely Snake and Pacman.
Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, you're right.

I can't see Layton making it into this game anyway, even if Hino begged Sakurai. Though it would certainly be a very pleasant surprise for me if he did wind up making it into the game.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I was about to lose interest for a bit in this thread, but then VGX. So I'm back!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm struggling with my roster. I want to keep Issac, but I also want a Nintendo Wars character (keep in mind that when I say want, I mean in order to be realistic, not preference.) I was thinking about removing Palutena and she seems like the best choice to go, but then I worry about having too many newcomer franchises (10). I also have concerns with Starfy, yet can't bring myself to remove him due to him being deserving.

Can someone help me out WITHOUT basing everything off muh popularity and muh requests?
I think Isaac is more plausible.
Although Nintendo Wars is a bigger franchise, the assist trophy it got was not a character, but sprites of the tanks and fighters (under the name Tanks and Infantry).
Because of this, it makes me wonder if Sakurai realizes the potential in a Nintendo Wars character.
That being said, Isaac was an assist trophy as well. Not only does he have tons of moveset potential, but it shows that Sakurai has possibly considered him.
Even though I don't expect either, I think Isaac is a more plausible choice.
(And I didn't mention popularity and requests this time, did I? ;))

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oi, Finally back online? Good, didn't have a chance to check yesterday, but it's good to be back. Hello all, hope you're doing well as we were hit by an obnoxious DDos strike again, but none-the-less hello. So...catch-up...catch-up...well yes, I like the idea of Professor Layton as a character, as unlikely as it may be. And here, another Nintendo vs. Capcom Roster:

Now featuring a few new faces, but overall mostly what I'd expect of a Nintendo vs. Capcom crossover. Now then, let me know what you think while I continue watching Game Grumps play Wind Waker HD.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I honestly see no apparent differences. It is about how the members of the community maintain themselves. Gamefaqs is more colloquial, as such, the community comes across as more unprofessional. However, the site is irrelevant to the content of the discussion. For instance, if we were to perform an exodus and migrate to Gamefaqs, nothing would have inherently changed. It is the standard of discussion that would change as we are used to having a more in-depth version of Smash discussion. There are intelligent members on Gamefaqs, and there are certainly ignorant members on Smashboards.

I can understand what you mean. However, I believe it is fallacious to discredit a community with an entirely different intent and environment. It could be described as ethnocentrism.
I guess that makes sense. I just try to avoid the pointless discussions, so It changes from person to person. If someone attempts an attack or says something just... stupid, I tend to just avoid them or ignore them.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Isaac is more plausible.
Although Nintendo Wars is a bigger franchise, the assist trophy it got was not a character, but sprites of the tanks and fighters (under the name Tanks and Infantry).
Please explain the relevance. I don't understand what your name or dimension has to do with anything. Besides if that's who was picked for an Assist Trophy just take a red soldier and call it "Soldier" or "Red".

Because of this, it makes me wonder if Sakurai realizes the potential in a Nintendo Wars character.
What? What does that have to do with a character's potential? Just because they are 2D and are sprites to be more recognizable and reminiscent of the actual game and are Assist Trophies (which are meant to have limited abilities.) this has something to do with him not recognizing their potential?

That being said, Isaac was an assist trophy as well. Not only does he have tons of moveset potential, but it shows that Sakurai has possibly considered him.
Even though I don't expect either, I think Isaac is a more plausible choice.

(And I didn't mention popularity and requests this time, did I? ;))
Yes, very good. But, you seemed to have only compared them to the point of being equal. And I agree Issac is more plausible, but...gah! I don't know this makes my head hurt! WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE THESE RESPONSIBILITIES!?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That was actually legitimate? Regii would be considered if the vote reached 100,00 signatures? That is crazy! I really do hope that he is the Mii they reveal. That would be so sick.
I'm sure he was kidding, but who knows.
I just find it interesting that the timing of this being mentioned being after this alleged VGX leak to be very suspicious, you know?

Morbi

Scavenger
Alternate Costumes are a thing. See: Wii Fit Trainer.
Dr. Mario needs his prescription chill pills. Unless a costume can change the attributes of a move, Dr. Mario should be a semi-clone. We can have Lawyer Mario as the alternative costume for all of those Ace Attorney fans.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I don't see much potential in Reggie as a playable character.

At most, when the Miis are finally revealed, he will be revealed alongside them to showcase the customizational features. Otherwise, what exactly can Reggie do?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So you're basically crossing your fingers for the developers to run out of time and start with semi-clones?
I'm crossing my fingers for a very fun and loveable persona of Mario that I main and love. Semi-Clones aren't only added because Sakurai runs out of time. Just look at Toon Link. And Dr. Mario was planned to return from the start.

You know, not wanting semi-clones is fine, but people who not only ***** about it, but ***** that other people want them are annoying and need to piss off. :glare:

So yeah, you're annoying me and need to piss off. Critisizing what people WANT is trollish and unnecessary. Certainly not something I expect from you. At least I'm not crossing my fingers for a dog.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Mii does get in, how should the first Challenger Mii look before you unlock the character?

From your collection of Mii's, one of the Big Wigs at Nintendo? Sakurai, himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom