• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Can't see a boxing character as that boring. Might have to do with me using Steve Fox from Tekken, and liking Dudley's moveset from Street Fighter. And saying that Little Mac would just be Marth with punches is showing a little lack of imagination to me. Little Mac at least could have a much more rush-down oriented moveset. Getting in the enemy's face and beating them down. Or perhaps he'll be a punish heavy character, making people really pay for their mistakes in battle.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think if we get a Smash trailer, it would be in an international Nintendo Direct. A game as big as Smash shouldn't just get a trailer for a specific region. That wouldn't make any sense.

Also I don't really think that rumor is solid. Spring is...too early to me. The Reggie part is too silly, and if Miis are the customizable concept, then i'm sure they would want to cover that concept shortly after the reveal.

I still think we should keep a look out for a Nintendo Direct for 2014. That's the best bet.

One last thing. Just because Pac, Mac, and Miis were leaked together, doesn't mean they are going to be revealed at the same time. Each character is getting a separate trailer, so it's entirely possible we see different characters mashed up.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
NeoGAF was going absolutely bats*** last night at the possibility of Cranky being shown off, and because of the convenient timing of the Tropical Freeze box art's leak, it could very well be that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Miis do get revealed at VGX, I think their customizability will be given more details at E3 2014. (Cause probably they taking their time to balance the customizability)
I think Little Mac and Pac-Man could be revealed in E3 2014 also.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Why not? I think if Sakurai researched everything about Punch-Out to get moves for Little Mac, I think he would see King Hippo being very unique to be also planned on the roster.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In my opinion, no newcomer series should be given more than 1 character in this installment. There are still veteran series to be finished.

This installment, even if it is focusing on newbies, should still add at least a majority of Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, Palutena, Chrom/Roy etc... There are still series that need to be finished.

While Punch-Out!! may be iconic, it is not even close to being iconic enough to have 2 character in their first game of playable representation. That would be like putting Shulk AND Dunban in Smash 4, when their game is still young. Doesn't make sense, even if Punch-Out!! is older.

If Sakurai is adding more new series than usual, then I think it's possible we'll see the following:

4-6 veteran series additions
6+ new series

That leaves room for Ridley, K.Rool, etc...while also giving wiggle room to new series, like Xenoblade, Golden Sun, Punch-Out!!, etc...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Meh, I think King Hippo is more unique than Little Mac.

You could say that about pretty much most of the other Boxers in "Punch-Out!!" though, dude. They are all cartoon-y and do crazy stuff you wouldn't see in normal boxing. Great Tiger(I think that's his name)Can teleport, for one. And I think in one of the games we had a guy that would kick as a special attack. King Hippo can....drop his shorts. Oh, and he covers his gut with a manhole lid. Well ok, that something at least.

That's personally why I like Little Mac, he's a straight up Boxer, more or less. He just gets in and beats down anyone who he needs to take down.

D

Deleted member

Nah, he'd see Bald Bull's prominence in the series (which exceeds that of Little Mac) and have Bald Bull as a second PO character.
Or keep Mac as an Assist while B.B. is the only character. :troll:

Admittedly, I'd be completely fine with Bald Bull and no Mac.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Come on, Hippo is the enough iconic to be in the game, at least in the form of an AT or even a boss.

EDIT: damn everybody already said what i was thinkging...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Iconic enough to be in the game? Yes. As Playable?...not so sure about that. Especially when there are several better characters to choose from.

Another point i'd like to make because it bothers me. I think it's fair to say any NEW series getting playable representation will get the MAIN PROTAGONIST above all else. I almost completely disagree with people who think Lucina would get in over Chrom, but lets not start another flame war.

For example, would it make any sense to put Dunban in over Shulk? King Hippo over Little Mac? Luigi without Mario? Not at all, and when I see people say things like that, it makes my blood boil.

Not pointing fingers at anybody here. It's just something that bothers me.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
King Hippo could very well get in as a boss or something, but he has a no chance as a playable character, espescially in this installment of the franchise.

Even Pichu has a better chance to return than King Hippo does to be a newcomer.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd have accepted that Universe leak back in 2011 that featured Little Mac and King Hippo added simultaneously. Now, however, he can be held off until next game to fill the heavyweight role.

D

Deleted member

Iconic enough to be in the game? Yes. As Playable?...not so sure about that. Especially when there are several better characters to choose from.

Another point i'd like to make because it bothers me. I think it's fair to say any NEW series getting playable representation will get the MAIN PROTAGONIST above all else. I almost completely disagree with people who think Lucina would get in over Chrom, but lets not start another flame war.

For example, would it make any sense to put Dunban in over Shulk? King Hippo over Little Mac? Luigi without Mario? Not at all, and when I see people say things like that, it makes my blood boil.

Not pointing fingers at anybody here. It's just something that bothers me.
Pikachu got in before the Pokemon Trainer. (As did Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Pichu)

Pikachu is the mascot, not the main protagonist.
Considering I was the only one to bring up someone coming in other Little Mac (though I said Bald Bull, not Hippo), by default, you're pointing fingers at me.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'd have accepted that Universe leak back in 2011 that featured Little Mac and King Hippo added simultaneously. Now, however, he can be held off until next game to fill the heavyweight role.
Yeah that's probably King Hippo's best bet.
I've researched Bald Bull, as he acts like a bull. But still, I find King Hippo having the much better appeal.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@Golden

Wasn't my intention to single you out. Didn't mean it that way. I was typing that comment before I even saw what you said. It was more of the idea that they think it would actually happen. I've seen some people/discussed with others about characters, and they give me outrageous choices that I can do nothing but roll my eyes at.

As far as Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer, I think it's fair to say that Pokémon in Smash was dependent on 64. I don't even think the trainer was a thought to put in 64, and based on the technology of the time and it being a first iteration, I don't think it would have worked too well (but what do I know). Pikachu made the most sense as the most iconic character in the series, and the essential icon of the series in general.

Looking at Melee, I don't even know about their thoughts on Pokémon Trainer, but Mewtwo and Pichu were fairly iconic to Pokémon, Mewtwo being a star of the movie, and Pichu being a joke/clone/recent character. (Jiggles was iconic to Japan)

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well I´m really expecting something this weekend for a new comer reveal (hope at least that we get two) if we don´t receive anything I think our chances of getting more than 6 new comers (counting Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer) are in those lines (if the rumor is true that we get in April Smash is not much time to reveal newcomers in big events), so my hopes for this game to see Ridley, King K. Rool and others as playable characters has become really grim (T_T).

.n_n.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
My gut says Sakurai will be a troll and reveal the floating doctor in the event. (He is literally the perfect troll character to show off in any event related to Nintendo) Though I know it's probably gonna be someone else like the Mii.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
BluePikimin I will say this in a manner that could be with the most respect, I don't even think in the slightest that Dr. Kawashima will be announced in this event or even the Mii because of the crowd that is targeting this event, is like presenting a horror movie in a kid´s playground is not happening, if by the chance they will present Mii or Dr. Kawashima it should be with another high profile character like King K. Rool, Ridley, Shulk, Crom, Little Mac or other big name so the hit will not be as hard, even Bayonetta could bring some hype and calm the masses after the reveal of those characters. So yeah don´t get your hopes up for any of those characters to get revealed in this event.
.n_n.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is the website back yet?

If we get somebody new this weekend (if we get anything in general), then I am almost positive it will be somebody who is heavily requested, simply because there haven't been any new characters since the initial reveal, and it's halfway between E3s. Just my 2 cents.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
BluePikimin I will say this in a manner that could be with the most respect, I don't even think in the slightest that Dr. Kawashima will be announced in this event or even the Mii because of the crowd that is targeting this event, is like presenting a horror movie in a kid´s playground is not happening, if by the chance they will present Mii or Dr. Kawashima it should be with another high profile character like King K. Rool, Ridley, Shulk, Crom, Little Mac or other big name so the hit will not be as hard, even Bayonetta could bring some hype and calm the masses after the reveal of those characters. So yeah don´t get your hopes up for any of those characters to get revealed in this event.
.n_n.
I blame my overhype guts. But yeah, I kinda see Kawashima happenining along with a popularly requested newcomer, to even out balance. Though, I don't think it would hurt to reveal just the floating head to the general public. (At least, only most of Smashboards will be hurt. :troll:)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd say that Smash Bros. 4 can afford to have only one other obscure/not regularly requested character such as Kawashima. If Sakurai puts too many "not so popular" characters, this game is in trouble.

I already own a Wii U, and fully plan on getting both versions of Smash regardless of what happens, but in other areas of the internet, there are butthurt fans who are not interested in spending $300 for a Wii U to play Smash Bros. Mostly because of the reveal. There aren't any reasons to buy the game for a certain group.

The Wii U is struggling right now. Very badly. The game that will be shown off at VGX is a Wii U game, and it is going to be (Imo) either Smash, "X", or Zelda Wii U. This is because:

1. Metroid is probably too early in development to announce anything on, especially when you have big games like Smash, Zelda and X to worry about.

2. VGX is a mainly American audience, and mainly hardcore gamers will be watching the event on television, or even sit in the crowd. The three I listed are probably the only three that would generate applause rather than boos.

3. It is possible that it's the new IP, but I highly doubt it.

I think the three I listed are the most likely unless we hear different. Additionally, I think it's highly plausible that we get an "X" Trailer, and then a Shulk reveal trailer.

I don't know. Maybe i'm too worried about Nintendo. Sure they have 14 billion in the bank or whatever. But they have made nothing but bad decisions lately, and Smash Bros. is one of the games that they need to do right in order to avoid a major disaster. The Wii U lifetime sales were outsold by the PS4 in TWO DAYS! THAT'S BAD.

What i'm trying to get at, is that Nintendo needs to make a splash here, and a real good Smash reveal would satisfy something if it is done well.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't think 3-5 not popularly requested characters really hurts the roster, as long as they have positive feedback from the fans (like Wii Fit Trainer).
If you're implying that there will only be less newcomers, then I'll probably agree on that.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I can't wait for a newcomer reveal.
It's all too likely at this point. And regarding the rumor....

Sakurai was actually JOKING about adding Reggie into Smash 4 (AND SPECIFICALLY REGGIE).
I'm betting on some Veterans or something. We need a new Zelda or Pokemon Rep revealed sometime soon. Or Kirby. Honestly, just some veterans, I don't care about newcomers right now!

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I want a trailer with all the already confirmed stuff, some new veterans, some classic items and new music to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom