• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Back in pre-Brawl predictions, I went over to the Lucario forums and said Lucario would bring nothing unless he had his Aura. Then I suggested how it could make him more powerful as he took more damage. Most said Lucario did not need it. Well...

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey, bro. Sis, whatever. Remember this is a new game. AKA, there'll newcomers. AKA, "your" character could debut in the newest game. Just saying... .... Anyway, what I mean to say is that each new installment can easily bring a character whose characteristics may tickle your fancy, maybe to the point of wanting to main him. And even if you don't quite find a character that suits your style, whoever fits the closest may be enough for you. It's, you know, getting used to it. In the corniest way possible to say it, "you'll have to wait until the one you want show up".

Now back to the Miis themselves, if customization ISN'T their gimmick, then what will? Hammerspace? Great, always nice to know you can play as the bland, boring, non-charismatic version of Mr Game and Watch/Villager. Really, if Miis aren't in for the sake of being custom, which is, you know, the whole purpose of their entire existence, then what the hell were they in for?

And it may be my opinion, but you've gotta admit that it's a pretty absurd design choice to create several multiple unique characters and then have on that can be customizable to any possible degree, therefore rendering everyone else obsolete. Who wants to play as Mario, Sonic, Link, Kirby or any of those suckers when you can play as freaking Mecha Jesus, who uses an lightsaber cross as a boomerang?

Okay, maybe that's a bit too exaggerated, but my point stands. If you aren't conformed with the diverse plethora of characters, each one having their own vibe and play style to them, that they offer you thorough the entire series, even though there's still the possibility of getting your most desired character in the next game, then sorry, but you're playing the wrong game.
That wasn't my point, my point is that our opinion is the minority. I completely and utterly agree with you, trust me. I actually thought that they should just make Villager the "Mii" as he already has some congruence in regards to his facial structure. He also has a gimmicky move-set that one might anticipate the Mii character having. However, that doesn't mean that Sakurai feels the same way. When it comes down to it, Miis are the most overt and deserving representatives no matter how horrible the notion is. I am just trying to have fun with it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't think you can call Mii a boring character and then beg for the guy who only punches and dodges to be in the game. You can't get much more boring than Little Mac.

I'm not begging for Mac, even though I think he's one of the best possible new character choices to add. Give Little Mac his Star Punch mechanic, a Heart Mechanic, Doc Louis, allusions to his opponents' attacks, and/or workout gear, and he's perfectly interesting. Hell, even if he's somehow just Marth with punches, he'd still be an important, wanted character who got in on his own merit, rather than Sakurai being a sensationalist weirdo, and he'd not be Literally Hitler either.

D

Deleted member

When will the errors effing go away?!

Also "Little Pac-Miis" > "Leaky 3".

Hell, even "Leaked 3" would sound less like a trio in toilet training.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why the hell does everyone make this comparison?

I repeated it because I had heard it tossed around by those lukewarm about Mac before, and it's not too far of a stretch conceptually. A chargeable punch, a series of combo punches, a counter-punch and a rising uppercut mirror Marth's moves to some degree, even though that's probably not what Mac would have.

Oh, and I forgot to add this onto my earlier post; however 'boring' Little Mac ends up, he'll always be a cut above characters who have to stumble ass-backward into the roster because of Namco's involvement.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It would be a more wise comparison to compare Little Mac to Captain Falcon. Marth's whole shtick is emphasizing proper spacing in order to take advantage of the properties of his Falchion, and is one of the reasons the character has a bit of a learning curve. With Little Mac, it's kind of hard to see him preform the same sort of task, he seems more of a character that is designed to hit hard and fast in an aggressive manner, more like Captain Falcon. Though, I see him more emphasize punishing mistakes instead of a hit-and-run tactic like Captain Falcon does it.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
New topic:

Lets say Pacman gets revealed before Snake shows up. Do you guys think Snake will appear as a 4th 3rd party, or is that the most 3rd parties we will get this time?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So you want an unbalanced Metaknights to be all over the online matches?
I would rather keep it with the Mii.
It's not about what we want. It's what Sakurai wants with his game. We are not the game's developers.

"What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone..."

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It would be a more wise comparison to compare Little Mac to Captain Falcon. Marth's whole shtick is emphasizing proper spacing in order to take advantage of the properties of his Falchion, and is one of the reasons the character has a bit of a learning curve. With Little Mac, it's kind of hard to see him preform the same sort of task, he seems more of a character that is designed to hit hard and fast in an aggressive manner, more like Captain Falcon. Though, I see him more emphasize punishing mistakes instead of a hit-and-run tactic like Captain Falcon does it.
Or he could be compared to Wii Fit Trainer who looks like he/she is designed to hit hard and fast in an aggressive manner.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's not about what we want. It's what Sakurai wants with his game. We are not the game's developers.

"What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone..."
You know, it's a possibility he could be referring to the Miis.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Little Mac is anything but boring to me.

So he only punches... so what? The comparison to Marth is brought up all the time because he only slashes and thrusts, and yet people find his moveset fun. I find GREAT satisfaction in shoving gloved fists at my opponents in fighting games, so this would be no difference, other than I'd be playing as videogame boxing icon LITTLE MAC.

Jabs, hooks, straights, 1-2's, uppercuts, counterattacks, and especially the STAR punch system would make Little Mac anything but boring.
As far as personality goes, Mac is no different from characters like (adult) Link, or Mario in the sense that he's a silent protagonist. But despite that, like the fact that I have actually seen Little Mac celebrating, get sad, being happy, pumping himself up for action, etc, stuff that other silent Ninty heroes don't do.

And maybe it's about time for a non-gimmicky, straightforward character like Little Mac to show up, without all the flashiness, and the ranged attacks. Just pure, physical ability gained from nothing but physical training. (Wii Fit might have beaten him to the punch, no pun intended, but LM is a Nintendo icon that should've been in SSB from the first game, back when movesets were pretty basic).

Another thing to take into account is that in Punch Out, the more interesting characters were obviously his rivals due to their personality and techniques. This would be no different from fighting a slew of Nintendo All-Stars each with their own quirks and personalities, so even then, being a simpleton good-guy who plays by the rules, Little Mac would still be IN-character and thus fit in nicely.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Why do people still talk about Pac man wasn't ge officially deconfirmed
No. He hasn't be disconfirmed yet. (unfortunate for those who don't want him in, me being one of those people) What exactly makes you think he was?

Also, on the topic of 4 third parties, I'm fine with just Sonic, Snake and Mega Man. I'm not a big Prof. Layton fan (Ihaven't played any of the Prof. Layton games) and I don't want Pac-man in. Overall I don't really care for the other third party choices (that actually have a decent chance).

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
What do you guys think of the Nintendo announcement at VGX this year?

I dont think it will be Smash (personally, I think its X) but It could be smash related. For example, lets say they announce a new Metroid game,they might reveal a veteran like ZSS or a newcomer like Ridley to go alonh with it.

My personal want for this is for Reggie to come out in a full Cpt Falcon costume, knee of justice the host, says show me your moves, new F Zero game plus Cpt Falcon returns to Smash, all while Big Blue plays in the background with maximum guitar screeching and solos.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would be the most happy if our third party lineup was Sonic, Megaman, Snake and Layton but that will most likely not happen..... Ah well.... Darn you Namco!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Meh I think the best case scenario is that if Konami denies the idea of Snake being in SSB4, Layton is definitely the next best 4th 3rd party. (If there is to be a 4th)
I still have an inner gut that Snake should stay, but he can leave if Sakurai wants more space for a few characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd rather Snake coming back but yeah, if Sakurai can't include him this time around then oh well.
I would still have both him and Layton alongside Sonic and Megaman together in Smash if it's possible. (And if Level-5 is willing to have Layton included, the creator seems to be at least more than happy to have him in Smash so that's good at least..)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

This was in the rumours thread.
Oh god,why?
I hope this is fake.
As terrible as that rumour or playable mii is, it would be better than playable Reggie.

Also, I given what I know about VGX I don't think Miis being playable is the sort of thing you'd choose to reveal there.

IMO the thing Reggie is teasing is either:
1) DKC:TF footage showing off Cranky
2) New footage for Bayonetta 2 or X
3) A new game we haven't seen anything from before(possibly Zelda U?)

Edit: Also that release date is super sketchy IMO.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Reggie won't even introduce it to us Europeans. I wonder if everyone this side of the pond will get the joke.

Still, Mii's are inevitable eventually. We may as well just get used to the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom