• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know guys, I really want to talk about stages.
I know this is the Roster Discussion Thread, but I wouldn't mind switching things up a little.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
It won't let me open the spoiler tag...
So Cranky's the fourth, huh, that's somewhat disappointing, I was hoping for someone more different, but I guess congrats to the Cranky fans.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know guys, I really want to talk about stages.
I know this is the Roster Discussion Thread, but I wouldn't mind switching things up a little.
I wouldn't mind switching discussions up a little bit either. Like, I am really interested in what Villagers Final Smash could be. Are they going to change lame ones like Mario's? Only Sakurai knows!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
nobody (apparently aside from johnknight1) saw cranky coming.
False. Once that Tropical Freeze demo lady confirmed that the Fourth Character would also ride on DK's back, K. Rool and Funky were pretty much ruled out as all but pipe dreams, being the heavyweights they are. Kiddy was also basically shunned by Tanabe himself in an interview. That left Cranky as far and away the likeliest Kong, considering he'd have to tag along somehow to run shops on all the different islands. If it wasn't him, it would have been completely out-of-left-field, someone like (a second) DK Jr., a pig, or a new Kong.

inb4 Cranky for Smash 5.
Cranky is RELEVANT in DKCR, DKCR 3DS, and Tropical Freeze. He's also being advertised out the wazoo by Nintendo. He's a shoo-in. :troll:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually wouldn't mind a playable Cranky in Smash as long as he doesn't get in K. Rool or Dixie's way. (and also, only if he goes all Rafiki-style on his opponents and uses his cane/stick as his main form of attack)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
See, I'm being facetious by calling Cranky a shoo-in, but I'd seriously lobby for Cranky over Dixie any day of the week out of how comparably hilarious and unique he'd be in-game. He could not only beat the everloving s*** out of his good-for-nothing (grand)son and his nephew, but his arcade-era rival Mario as well. What's not to love?

Not that that would ever happen, but a guy can dream.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know, a playable appearance in Tropical Freeze might increase interest in Cranky being in a Smash game.
One can always hope, but I am more excited about him being playable in Tropical Freeze. Most people prefer transexual-Diddy, he has no chance against that juggernaut. I honestly fear for K. Rool in that regard. So he might be an assist trophy akin to Resetti or something. I still highly doubt his inclusion. I always knew he would be playable in Tropical Freeze, I kept on second guessing myself, but deep down, I knew. So that is enough for me.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I kinda want Cranky to have the voice from that one DK show that I've only recently heard of. (if he gets in TF or SSB4)
It's a little funny. But not as funny as DK's voice in that show...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think the closest Cranky would get to a playable character in Smash anytime soon is as an Assist Trophy.

Also, I hate to bid farewell to my Pacific Rim avatar, but with December's arrival I just had to change my avatar. I'll be very sad if no one recognizes it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Wrong song.

Cranky sings about being a star, and even says 'he'll be a Smash.' Nelvana foreshadowed his playable role 15 years in advance!

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the closest Cranky would get to a playable character in Smash anytime soon is as an Assist Trophy.

Also, I hate to bid farewell to my Pacific Rim avatar, but with December's arrival I just had to change my avatar. I'll be very sad if no one recognizes it.
I recognize it, but I cant quite remember where it is from. It has been a VERY long time since I have been in a holly jolly Christmas mood. Haha.

Anyways, I would be content with Rosalina and Cranky being assist trophies, that is actually what I want. Cranky is my favorite "Kong"; but it wouldn't make any sense for him to be playable over K. Rool... or dare I say it, Dixie.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
A reveal would really be nice. It would be really be nice to know whether or not I'm leaving out the wrong characters. Also I have a question, we all know Palutena is the most deserving Kid Icarus rep, but as a Nintendo character how deserving is she? I don't mean as a second KI character or how much KI deserves a second character, but how much does Palutena really deserve a spot based on her own merits?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Snowmiser from "Year Without a Santa Clause."
Do I win a cookie?
Also, Cranky Kong would be the greatest character ever.
More relevant than K. Rool and Dixie combined. Heck he's more relevant than DK because he's the ORIGINAL DK. :troll:
Though you gotta admit, having Cranky and Mario duke it out after all these years would be pretty cool.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I kinda want Cranky to have the voice from that one DK show that I've only recently heard of. (if he gets in TF or SSB4)
It's a little funny. But not as funny as DK's voice in that show...
Wrong song.
Cranky sings about being a star!
WILL YOU KNUCKLEHEADS STOP POSTING VIDEOS ABOUT CRANKY AND LET ME GET SOME SLEEP!!!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
but how much does Palutena really deserve a spot based on her own merits?
let's see....
+ Green hair
+ unique moveset possibility (I guess but really mostly everyone has these)
+ endearing character traits
+ Green Hair
+ Green hair
+ Female (I guess it's a plus
+ the "damsel in distress" of a successful NES game
+ Green hair.
+ Not Lyn
+ Recently revived series

- not really many appearances
- freaking I dunno maybe something that she's not unique except she kinda is pretty unique
- Green Hair

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I love cranky, but i dont like how he is looking in that artbox.
He is supposed to be chuck norris, come on... the only dkc character i like is about to be the worst of all.

Morbi

Scavenger
A reveal would really be nice. It would be really be nice to know whether or not I'm leaving out the wrong characters. Also I have a question, we all know Palutena is the most deserving Kid Icarus rep, but as a Nintendo character how deserving is she? I don't mean as a second KI character or how much KI deserves a second character, but how much does Palutena really deserve a spot based on her own merits?
Honestly, the question is irrelevant. Obviously the answer entails a negative response, no. However, Sora Ltd. were the developers to revitalize Kid Icarus Uprising. Sakurai decided to make Pit a front-runner not only in Brawl, but in Smash 4 as well. So Pit has become a staple of the Smash series quite rapidly. It isn't necessarily about Nintendo at that point, it is more about Sakurai's preferences and bias. If the roster was dependent on worthiness, Mario would be a good 50%, Pokemon might be 25% and Zelda would be 10%, the rest would be spread out among the other series. So it really isn't a fair comparison.

Disclaimer: Knowing this thread... yes, those numbers are just guesses.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Cranky in Tropical Freeze huh?

I doubt it means much in regards to Smash Bros considering Dixie is more historically iconic if you will, and is in the game at that. I don't see Cranky getting in over her or K.Rool. Although I've never considered K.Rool as a shoo-in character, I must admit he would probably be the most welcome of the three imo. If we're looking at DK characters that will get into Smash, it's between Dixie, Cranky and K.Rool if you ask me.

I think it's about time for a reveal. Or at least pretty soon. Any murmurs of a Nintendo Direct at all? That may be the biggest thing this month in regards to Smash.

For Palutena, we have to look at her in reference to the "criteria" for character selection.

Game/series balance- certainly adding a second KI character wouldn't be outrageous. She fits the bill here.

Unique- I'd say so. We have one magic user if you consider Zelda a "pure" magic user

Does she make people want to play the game? Apparently she would if we consider her popularity (that's basically what it means imo)

Seems like she's a good choice to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
Cranky in Tropical Freeze huh?

I doubt it means much in regards to Smash Bros considering Dixie is more historically iconic if you will, and is in the game at that. I don't see Cranky getting in over her or K.Rool. Although I've never considered K.Rool as a shoo-in character, I must admit he would probably be the most welcome of the three imo. If we're looking at DK characters that will get into Smash, it's between Dixie, Cranky and K.Rool if you ask me.

I think it's about time for a reveal. Or at least pretty soon. Any murmurs of a Nintendo Direct at all? That may be the biggest thing this month in regards to Smash.

For Palutena, we have to look at her in reference to the "criteria" for character selection.

Game/series balance- certainly adding a second KI character wouldn't be outrageous. She fits the bill here.

Unique- I'd say so. We have one magic user if you consider Zelda a "pure" magic user

Does she make people want to play the game? Apparently she would if we consider her popularity (that's basically what it means imo)

Seems like she's a good choice to me.
There will be a Nintendo related announcement at VGX or something like that. So we should be getting a reveal in a week or two.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Back in my day, the young folk didn't have any Internet spoilers as to who the fourth character in Tropical Freeze would be! They sifted through the rubbish barrels outside of Retro Studio, and they liked it!

The funny thing about this is that I've portrayed Cranky Kong as an Assist Trophy from the very start, which seems to be the most likely position for that old geezer.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I remember an argument I had with Swampasaur about Cranky Kong getting in over Donkey Kong Jr. I was honestly surprised. But, I bet to my dismay a whole bunch of people on this thread will agree. It's surprisingly often that something so crazy is like the norm around here. Like when people defended Popeye The Sailor Man getting in as a playable character before Sheriff.

What if we actually got Donkey Kong Jr as our 3rd rep, how would you react. I'd be shocked, but happy seeing as I love him way more than K. Rool or Dixie.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Meh, I honestly think DK Jr. has the better design than K. Rool and Dixie.
Would end all Dixie vs. K. Rool debates. :troll:
Could happen if Sakurai wants to semi-clone DK rather than Diddy.

Anyhow, playable jokes aside, Cranky being shown on the boxart might matter soon in that he might be Nintendo's teased reveal at Saturday's VGX event in a Tropical Freeze trailer, like Dixie was a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom