• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Vaati didn't reappear after Brawl, because Vaati had 2 of his games re-released, one being a 3DS ambassador and one being an anniversary edition both in 2011, so he may use that for Vaati as he used WWHD for Toon Link.
Because we all know WWHD has a significant affect on this shoo-in's return.

He doesn't. Wario does.
Now we're REALLY getting offensive. :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's not go any more in depth with religious stereotypes please. ;)

I'm taking in both his words and actions, they won't all be clones, but more or less semi-clones, like what he did with Brawl.
Still, using a game where he planned to have the character you're saying won't be included as your example of how you thing he'll go about including characters is a bit... odd. Toon Zelda can work as a direct clone, semi-clone, or totally original character (though chances are pretty good she won't be), so I don't see the problem.

I'd say that Tetra, at the moment, has a better chance than T.Zelda, but that's just my take on it.
I'd say it's pretty unlikely we get the transformation without the main form, especially since Toon Zelda has had a bigger role in the series.

I'm not sure if we can say that Vaati didn't reappear after Brawl, because Vaati had 2 of his games re-released, one being a 3DS ambassador and one being an anniversary edition both in 2011, so he may use that for Vaati as he used WWHD for Toon Link.
Well you yourself said Toon Zelda only showed up once post-Brawl, so we're either counting WWHD or not. Regardless, re-releases (even glorified ones) really don't count as new appearances. Remakes probably don't either, but at least a notable amount of time goes into making those, so it's possible they might have some impact.

Do you think there are characters/franchises that are ONLY popular because people made aware how awesome they'd be as a fighter in Smash?
Dillon...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You say that as if he were a shoe-in.
You say that is if he weren't. He's Child Link and he represents the Toon games. Why would Sakurai NOT put him in. Oh, yeah! Because greedy fans can't stand these (so called) "wastes of time". Cuz you know, Sakurai is the kind of guy who would leave out an insanely important character because greedy fans ***** about the roster not being full of 1,000 ****ing purely unique characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Do you think there are characters/franchises that are ONLY popular because people made aware how awesome they'd be as a fighter in Smash?
Don't really see what is so horrible about it. It's a video game first and foremost, so naturally we play as characters we want to play as.

Like Dillon, that is a character people would want to play as.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Don't really see what is so horrible about it. It's a video game first and foremost, so naturally we play as characters we want to play as.

Like Dillon, that is a character people would want to play as.
My point is a character like Geno or Saki is usually popular just because people want to fight as that particular person in Smash even when they may or may not know anything about the actual game of origin or if the game is just generally undeserving to be represented.

Like Muddy Mole, is he really popular or did people just find him when they were searching for Nintendo games of that era and decide that'd be unique and then the idea of Muddy Mole in Smash became popular?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Still, using a game where he planned to have the character you're saying won't be included as your example of how you thing he'll go about including characters is a bit... odd. Toon Zelda can world as a direct clone, semi-clone, or totally original character (though chances are pretty good she won't be), so I don't see the problem.
I'm not saying she won't be included. It's entirely possible that she will, if she becomes at least a semi-clone, but I have a hard time trying to find out how to make her different enough from Zelda to not be a clone, which makes me somewhat skeptical.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely we get the transformation without the main form, especially since Toon Zelda has had a bigger role in the series.
In the series, yes, but as of now, I think Tetra has a slight edge because of her importance in WWHD and Phantom Hourglass.

Well you yourself said Toon Zelda only showed up once post-Brawl, so we're either counting WWHD or not. Regardless, re-releases (even glorified ones) really don't count as new appearances. Remakes probably don't either, but at least a notable amount of time goes into making those, so it's possible they might have some impact.
My fault, must have forgot about the remake at the time, however, I believe Tetra has more importance in WW than Zelda does from what I've seen in the Hyrule Historia and on the internet itself, but I will see once I get a Wii U.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
My point is a character like Geno or Saki is usually popular just because people want to fight as that particular person in Smash even when they may or may not know anything about the actual game of origin or if the game is just generally undeserving to be represented.

Like Muddy Mole, is he really popular or did people just find him when they were searching for Nintendo games of that era and decide that'd be unique and then the idea of Muddy Mole in Smash became popular?
Which, again, is not an inherent problem. On the contrary, if people want to play as a character regardless of how well known or popular a character is, that should be a sign that there is a characteristic regarding that character that would create interest. In fact, I think that is what one of the criteria is talking about, the one about a character making people want to play the game. It's not so much which character is popular, but more like what character would create a sense of curiosity.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
You say that is if he weren't. He's Child Link and he represents the Toon games. Why would Sakurai NOT put him in. Oh, yeah! Because greedy fans can't stand these (so called) "wastes of time". Cuz you know, Sakurai is the kind of guy who would leave out an insanely important character because greedy fans ***** about the roster not being full of 1,000 ****ing purely unique characters.
He's not that important of a character, comparing him to everyone else in the roster.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Which, again, is not an inherent problem. On the contrary, if people want to play as a character regardless of how well known or popular a character is, that should be a sign that there is a characteristic regarding that character that would create interest. In fact, I think that is what one of the criteria is talking about, the one about a character making people want to play the game. It's not so much which character is popular, but more like what character would create a sense of curiosity.
Ice Climbers never gave me a sense of curiousity. :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
That is true; however, looking at Brawl's roster, I do not see a character that isn't popular on it (aside from the random WTF retro characters). Maybe Ness/Captain Falcon/Jigglypuff, but they are fan-favorites.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
*ACHOO!!!!!!!!*

Ugh, sorry. I'm allergic to bull ****. :scared:
As a Toon Link main and lover, I can agree to an extent with Scatman. I mean, he's Link. But cartoony. He was generally as important as Dr. Mario in Melee: important to the genre he comes from, but not overall important to Nintendo, at least not as much as any other people on the roster.

He's important to Sakurai's eyes, though. And in Zelda as a whole. He's the most popular child Link, which is huge in Zelda. So he makes if he was in. But looking from another point of view, it'd make sense if he wasn't.

Morbi

Scavenger
As a Toon Link main and lover, I can agree to an extent with Scatman. I mean, he's Link. But cartoony. He was generally as important as Dr. Mario in Melee: important to the genre he comes from, but not overall important to Nintendo, at least not as much as any other people on the roster.

He's important to Sakurai's eyes, though. And in Zelda as a whole. He's the most popular child Link, which is huge in Zelda. So he makes if he was in. But looking from another point of view, it'd make sense if he wasn't.
Isn't Toon Link the most prevalent adaptation of Link? Honestly, he seems more important than Twilight Link that is in Brawl/Smash 4.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Isn't Toon Link the most prevalent adaptation of Link? Honestly, he seems more important than Twilight Link that is in Brawl/Smash 4.
Generally I separate them into two categories: Child and Adult. Child then splits off into three subcategories: Young, Classic, and Toon (which you are correct is the most prevalent).

I feel as if adult is just the generic Link. Like, for example, if you Google Image Link: Legend of Zelda, you'll see a majority of adult Link pictures, or at least a more matured one.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As a Toon Link main and lover, I can agree to an extent with Scatman. I mean, he's Link. But cartoony.
You're basing a character's importance to the Nintendo Universe on the fact that they are so similar to another character. Are you saying Luigi wasn't important because he's Mario, but green!? What kind of logic is that?

He was generally as important as Dr. Mario in Melee
Yes, Tumblr. The Child version of Link which is the most iconic version of Link is just as important as a character with 3 appearances and is just an outfit change. Good comparison.

important to the genre he comes from, but not overall important to Nintendo
That doesn't make a lot of sense. And how is Toon Link not important to Nintendo? Character's aren't unimportant to Nintendo's history because of their similarities to other characters, couldn't you just as well say Adult Link isn't important to Nintendo's history? How do we choose?

at least not as much as any other people on the roster.
Right, because Jigglypuff and Lucas were way more iconic and important characters. Mother 3 was way more iconic and important that Wind Waker and Four Swords.

You're basing his importance solely on similarities in which case you are wrong.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
You must be new here.
I enjoy new member posts.

That'd be a nice roster, but it's more of a wishlist roster than a realistic prediction. Not sure if we're getting that amount of characters either.

Why are the female and male Wii Fit Trainers listed as separate characters?
The roster is also a little disorganized. Ridey and Samus are far from each other.

Lastly, I must give you props for Sora. He's not getting in Smash, but I really wish he was in...

-----

jokerking76

Smash Rookie
Before I say anything about this roster (aside from the fact it is very unorganized) may I ask: Is this a prediction roster, or a personal preference roster?
its half and half i guess, most are more likely to happen. And can you help me organize it?

You must be new here.
I enjoy new member posts.

That'd be a nice roster, but it's more of a wishlist roster than a realistic prediction. Not sure if we're getting that amount of characters either.

Why are the female and male Wii Fit Trainers listed as separate characters?
The roster is also a little disorganized. Ridey and Samus are far from each other.

Lastly, I must give you props for Sora. He's not getting in Smash, but I really wish he was in...

-----
its half and half i guess, most are more likely to happen. And can you help me organize it?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
its a prediction roster except Banjo-Kazooie, Lloyd, & Sora, the other characters are most likely to happen
In that case-

First off, there are far too many Mario and Zelda characters here. Many of them are already unlikely as is, it's even less likely all of them would get in.

Daisy has no reason to be added as her own character, as she has mainly appeared in spin-offs and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Relevancy does play a role in character selection, which is why we got (most) of the main cast of the Mario franchise playable in Brawl, and another reason as to why Daisy has no chance of getting in.

Since Toad's chances have plummeted, Bowser Jr. is the next most logical choice for a Mario newcomer although he still isn't all that likely.

K. Rool and Dixie both have pretty good chances, so props for that. DK is easily the next choice for a franchise to have a total of four characters.

Ghirahim, while I admit would fit well in Smash, does not have a good chance. His character was only recently introduced and only appeared in one game. Recency is not a good reason to add a character, as recency only applies to the Pokemon and Fire Emblem franchies, Sakurai himself stated in an interview that he chooses Pokemon characters based on "what's hot" among Pokemon fans lately.

Wolf Link and Midna COULD have been added in Brawl, but they missed their only chance, which wasn't that good in the first place. Though they could bring something new to the table, it is a form only one Link took on in only one game, it is simply not relevant enough.

Toon Zelda isn't all that likely, but is one of the more likely Zelda newcomers. Sakurai did attempt to add her in Brawl after all, but was either scrapped because Sakurai changed his mind, or otherwise she was low priority (as her data was placed much lower on the list of character data along with many other characters that could've been clones, as well Wolf, Toon Link and Jigglypuff) and time constraints had ultimately resulted in her not getting added. It's still not an out of the realm possibility that she could be added this time.

Props for Ridley, Mewtwo and Little Mac as they are all deserving characters.

Geno is actually very unlikely due to copyright issues, and the fact that Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about him anymore, it's not likely Sakurai would go out of his way to try and bring back a character that only truly appeared in one game several years ago.

Bomberman would count as a Konami character, and as he is less iconic than Snake, who already appeared in Brawl as a result of Kojima (who happens to be a close friend of Sakurai) requesting Snake to appear in Brawl, Bomberman's chances are incredibly slim. (I fully doubt he'll be replacing Snake) It's unlikely we would get more than one third party character from the same company. As such it's very unlikely we'll get anymore Sonic characters, perhaps ONE more character, but even then a second Sonic character is unlikely, and there is no way three more Sonic characters would be added this game.

Keep in mind a majority of the characters in Brawl were all very relevant to the franchises they belong to. Many were commonly requested as well (Wario for example was a very commonly requested character. He also is notable for having two different franchises in addition to be a recurring character in the Mario franchise) As such, such characters are the most likely ones to get in this time around as well. K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Palutena and Little Mac are all good examples of likely newcomers for Smash 4.

jokerking76

Smash Rookie
In that case-

First off, there are far too many Mario and Zelda characters here. Many of them are already unlikely as is, it's even less likely all of them would get in.

Daisy has no reason to be added as her own character, as she has mainly appeared in spin-offs and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Relevancy does play a role in character selection, which is why we got (most) of the main cast of the Mario franchise playable in Brawl, and another reason as to why Daisy has no chance of getting in.

Since Toad's chances have plummeted, Bowser Jr. is the next most logical choice for a Mario newcomer although he still isn't all that likely.

K. Rool and Dixie both have pretty good chances, so props for that. DK is easily the next choice for a franchise to have a total of four characters.

Ghirahim, while I admit would fit well in Smash, does not have a good chance. His character was only recently introduced and only appeared in one game. Recency is not a good reason to add a character, as recency only applies to the Pokemon and Fire Emblem franchies, Sakurai himself stated in an interview that he chooses Pokemon characters based on "what's hot" among Pokemon fans lately.

Wolf Link and Midna COULD have been added in Brawl, but they missed their only good chance. Though they could bring something new to the table, it is a form only one Link took on in only one game, it is simply not relevant enough.

Toon Zelda ins't all that likely, but is one of the more likely Zelda newcomers.

Props for Ridley, Mewtwo and Little Mac as they are all deserving characters.

Geno is actually very unlikely due to copyright issues, and the fact that Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about him anymore, it's not likely Sakurai would go out of his way to try and bring back a character that only truly appeared in one game several years ago.

Bomberman would count as a Konami character, and as he is less iconic than Snake, who already appeared in Brawl as a result of Kojima (who happens to be a close friend of Sakurai) requesting Snake to appear in Brawl, Bomberman's chances are incredibly slim. (I fully doubt he'll be replacing Snake) It's unlikely we would get more than one third party character from the same company. As such it's very unlikely we'll get anymore Sonic characters, perhaps ONE more character, but even then a second Sonic character is unlikely, and there is no way three more Sonic characters would be added this game.

Keep in mind a majority of the characters in Brawl were all very relevant to the franchises they belong to. Many were commonly requested as well (Wario for example was a very commonly requested character. He also is notable for having two different franchises in addition to be a recurring character in the Mario franchise) As such, such characters are the most likely ones to get in this time around as well. K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Palutena and Little Mac are all good examples of likely newcomers for Smash 4.
thanks for the info and King K. Rool has to make it in (I hope so)
and can you help me organize it?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
thanks for the info and King K. Rool has to make it in (I hope so)
and can you help me organize it?
You're welcome. :)

I'd suggest you try to keep the characters from the same franchises close to each other. Try to keep all the Mario characters lined up, same goes for the Zelda characters and all other franchises with multiple characters. I'd suggest keeping retro characters (like Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers) and and franchises with only one character or very few characters compared to Mario, Zelda, DK and Pokemon, (like Pikmin, Metroid and F-Zero) close together as well although they don't need to be all perfectly in line.

Lastly you should keep the third parties at the end of the right side of the roster, along with the random button.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Here's the views of all newcomers who have reached more than 10,000 views. (Well I may have missed a few, but oh well)

· Ridley 255

· King K. Rool 141
· Mewtwo 56

· Krystal 36
· Little Mac 36
· Palutena 35
· Pac-Man 34
· Roy 34
· Toad 32
· Waluigi 32

· Isaac 29
· Shulk 28
· Geno 24
· Takamaru 22
· Ghirahim 20

· Anna 17
· Lip 16
· Dixie Kong 16
· Dillon 16
· Layton 16
· Rosalina 14
· Bowser Junior 14
· Doctor Mario 12
· Lucina 11
· Impa 11
· Paper Mario 11
· Mii 10

These are characters people got **** to say about. Characters people are interested in.

jokerking76

Smash Rookie
You're welcome. :)

I'd suggest you try to keep the characters from the same franchises close to each other. Try to keep all the Mario characters lined up, same goes for the Zelda characters and all other franchises with multiple characters. I'd suggest keeping retro characters (like Mr. Game & Watch and the Ice Climbers) and and franchises with only one character or very few characters compared to Mario, Zelda, DK and Pokemon, (like Pikmin, Metroid and F-Zero) close together as well although they don't need to be all perfectly in line.

Lastly you should keep the third parties at the end of the right side of the roster, along with the random button.
Here i updated it, hope its more organized.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh in regards to the other Zelda characters vs Toon Zelda discussion. I have the feeling this is probably a repeat of the Midna vs Toon Link and Krystal vs Wolf discussions from pre-Brawl. Where everyone wrote off the latter because they will be clones and thus are very unlikely but then end up making it in over the former anyway.

I know people have a huge disdain towards clones but we shouldn't write Toon Zelda off like that. Especially since we probably don't even know Sakurai's definition of "unique" characters, it may be in regards to movesets, but it may also be in regards to playstyles or other gimmicks. I mean Sakurai saw Roy as worthy alone based on the fire sword. (if I recall correctly)

Then again, I kinda zoomed through the discussion as I have to go to College right now so I may have missed the point... But just my two cents there.

D

Deleted member

On a side note, I find it funny that Ghirahim, despite his one-shot status, is still decently demanded, while Yuga, who is the newest Zelda bad guy and who has a more or less similar role, has zero demand. X)

Gune

Smash Lord

Overall its really unlikely, Mario is overepped, LOZ is most likely not getting another rep, Pokemon is the only franchise I see hitting 5 this time around and Zoroark isnt one of those 5, the third parties are way out there not gonna go into details with that. There are more problem's I could go over but at least fix those first.

jokerking76

Smash Rookie
Overall its really unlikely, Mario is overepped, LOZ is most likely not getting another rep, Pokemon is the only franchise I see hitting 5 this time around and Zoroark isnt one of those 5, the third parties are way out there not gonna go into details with that. There are more problem's I could go over but at least fix those first.
fixed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom