• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I still say he's fine as an AT

I'm sorry I forgot about that one puzzle game he had, I don't follow tingle at all. the zelda roster is fine as is, people want him because "muh reps" when the zelda series is represented just fine, being an assist trophy suits him well.

I wasn't arguing for the inclusion of Tingle (although I wouldn''t mind). Rather, I was stating Tingle has more than just balloons within his arsenal.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Thing is Vaati isn't a one-off.
Yes yes, four swords. I understand you guys want more zelda characters, but I think those 4 are iconic and represent the series perfectly.

Sober, AT is just fine. 4 games or not. If anything we'd get toon zelda if we were going to get another character, tingle is right after toon zelda tho.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's what I don't see, how are they more likely?
Tingle
>Own sub-series of games
>Notable popularity in Japan
>Decent amount of recurring appearances for not one of the "main three" characters

Toon Zelda
>Planned for Brawl
>Large roles since Brawl
>Easy clone

Espio264

Smash Ace
Imagine the Zelda series being represented by the Hero of Hyrule, the Hero of Winds, the Princess of Destiny, the King of Evil and a 35 year old man that thinks he's a fairy...
Well, the Mario series is represented by the Hero of... Pipes. His Brother of... Pipes. The Princess of... Vegetable people, The King of Evil, a 35ish year old man who thinks he's a... what the hell exactly does Wario claim to be? and their pet Horse/lizard who is superior to them all at go kart racing.

Yeah, no, Tingle's okay in my book. Everybody gets a Falco boot to the teeth in the end anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger
It isn't, but if he was gonna go with a character he would go with toon zelda/tetra, at least she was actually planned for playable status.
Again, tingle is better suited as an AT.

Imo were fine with the zelda characters we have.
I think you missed the entire premise of my post, I was mostly alluding to the notion that after advocating the Zelda series with a highly successful 3DS game followed by the new home console Zelda (along with remastering a Zelda title) that a newcomer is likely. That is the way I am interpreting the marketing. Toon Zelda and Sheik/Tetra is two characters, so it is apparent that the series WAS worthy of an additional character 5 years ago when it wasn't as prominent. Tingle is the most ideal candidate despite Sakurai's attempt to include another clone character from Zelda.

Toon Zelda is inherently bad, the series would contain 2 clone characters that are not only clones, they are different versions of already playable characters. Let us not forget to mention the imminent slippery slope fallacy that is overt. If we get Toon Zelda, why wouldn't we get Toon Ganondorf (a chance to de-clone him? The more popular choice)? Regardless, it seems erroneous to support a clone that is obviously more difficult to develop over a character with some Smash relevance and the Japanese popularity (where Sora Ltd. is) to back it.

Do I think the series is fine? Yes. Does Sakurai? He sure didn't 5 years ago... did that change with the excessive prevalence of Zelda? Doubtful.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Four games, FOUR!!!!
Why not have him represent his own spin-offs then?

Tingle
>Own sub-series of games
>Notable popularity in Japan
>Decent amount of recurring appearances for not one of the "main three" characters

Toon Zelda
>Planned for Brawl
>Large roles since Brawl
>Easy clone

I think Tingle would be best representing his own series like Yoshi and Wario, since most of the important things he does seems to be in there.

With Toon Zelda, I for one just don't like multiple Toon characters of characters we already have. Other than that I don't think she had many roles since Brawl, with the exception of Spirit Tracks. And IIRC, didn't Sakurai say something along the lines of trying to have all the characters be unique, which seems to translate to thathe won't add any new clones.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I think you missed the entire premise of my post, I was mostly alluding to the notion that after advocating the Zelda series with a highly successful 3DS game followed by the new home console Zelda (along with remastering a Zelda title) that a newcomer is likely. That is the way I am interpreting the marketing. Toon Zelda and Sheik/Tetra is two characters, so it is apparent that the series WAS worthy of an additional character 5 years ago when it wasn't as prominent. Tingle is the most ideal candidate despite Sakurai's attempt to include another clone character from Zelda.

Toon Zelda is inherently bad, the series would contain 2 clone characters that are not only clones, they are different versions of already playable characters. Let us not forget to mention the imminent slippery slope fallacy that is overt. If we get Toon Zelda, why wouldn't we get Toon Ganondorf (a chance to de-clone him? The more popular choice)? Regardless, it seems erroneous to support a clone that is obviously more difficult to develop over a character with some Smash relevance and the Japanese popularity (where Sora Ltd. is) to back it.

Do I think the series is fine? Yes. Does Sakurai? He sure didn't 5 years ago... did that change with the excessive prevalence of Zelda? Doubtful.
I see, but I still think sakurai would go for toon zelda, then tingle, then maybe a vatti. you may think TZ is bad but apparently sakurai doesn't, if she was planned then there is a high probability sakurai would go back to it, like king dedede.

Which is why i'm expecting dixie kong, instead of King K. rool (even tho i'd prefer King K.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Tingle would be best representing his own series like Yoshi and Wario, since most of the important things he does seems to be in there.
It's a possibility, but it's not guarantee. Could go either way imo. Not that I think Tingle's going to become playable anyway.

With Toon Zelda, I for one just don't like multiple Toon characters of characters we already have. Other than that I don't think she had many roles since Brawl, with the exception of Spirit Tracks. And IIRC, didn't Sakurai say something along the lines of trying to have all the characters be unique, which seems to translate to thathe won't add any new clones.
I'm not wild about getting second versions of characters we already have either, and I'd rather have a handful of other Zelda characters before Toon Zelda, but that doesn't negate the fact that Sakurai already thought she merited inclusion once and since then has only continued to re-appear. And Sakurai's been saying the whole "aiming for uniqueness" with all his characters since before Brawl, so take that with a grain of salt. How we see unique might differ from how he sees it. Plus eventually he throws originality to the wind and just tries to pad the roster, so should he do that again, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Advance Wars will get a character this time tbh.
I'd replace Isaac, but with Shulk instead.
Advance Wars is only part of Nintendo Wars which has appeared on NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS.

And now Sheik is a confirmed AT who plays music for you.
Never said anything about being an NPC automatically making you an Assist Trophy, but rather that because he's not an NPC essential to the plot nor a different form of a character, that I personally think he fits best that way. He's usually a merchant or guide, not the freaking princess of Hyrule.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Advance Wars is only part of Nintendo Wars which has appeared on NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS.
Still, there are series that I think deserve representation over Nintendo Wars.
Punch Out, Wii, Golden Sun, even Xenoblade looks like it is growing.
Even if Nintendo Wars is big, does it really need a CHARACTER in Smash Bros, or would it be fine with an assist trophy, some trophies and stickers, and maybe a stage?

Autumn ♫

I'm not wild about getting second versions of characters we already have either, and I'd rather have a handful of other Zelda characters before Toon Zelda, but that doesn't negate the fact that Sakurai already thought she merited inclusion once and since then has only continued to re-appear. And Sakurai's been saying the whole "aiming for uniqueness" with all his characters since before Brawl, so take that with a grain of salt. How we see unique might differ from how he sees it. Plus eventually he throws originality to the wind and just tries to pad the roster, so should he do that again, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
I think she only appeared once after Brawl, but I may be wrong. He did make all the clones from Melee pretty unique with the exception of their specials and some of Ganondorf's attacks. Toon Link was probably the cloniest of all of them, but he did have those traits of uniqueness. I'm hoping we get Tetra instead of her. I just see Vaati adding more to the roster than most of the other probable Zelda newcomers.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With the move set potential using military weapons to destroy opponents, I totally think it deserves a character. I think Andy has the hidden potential to be a very fun character.
Sure it DESERVES a character, but the likelihood of it getting one is quite low.
There is little to no demand and other series that will likely get represented beforehand.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Never said anything about being an NPC automatically making you an Assist Trophy, but rather that because he's not an NPC essential to the plot nor a different form of a character, that I personally think he fits best that way. He's usually a merchant or guide, not the freaking princess of Hyrule.
It's quite funny that in both of his major Zelda appearances (And by major appearances I mean Console game appearances) that he's actually more useful than Zelda overall. Not important to the story, but overall more useful in general.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Still, there are series that I think deserve representation over Nintendo Wars.
Punch Out, Golden Sun, even Xenoblade looks like it is growing.
I really, really, disagree. Especially for Xenoblade. I mean Golden Sun is deserving, but not majorly. It seems like a franchise we can get by without. But, so do a lot.

Even if Nintendo Wars is big, does it really need a CHARACTER in Smash Bros, or would it be fine with an assist trophy, some trophies and stickers, and maybe a stage?
I think Punch-Out and Golden Sun are fine with Assist Trophies.

I'm not wild about getting second versions of characters we already have either, and I'd rather have a handful of other Zelda characters before Toon Zelda, but that doesn't negate the fact that Sakurai already thought she merited inclusion once and since then has only continued to re-appear.
Do you think it was really for any other reason than filler/to have a fifth Zelda rep to match Pokemon and Mario?

As for Tingle, I really think a character's role really affects inclusion for most franchises. If Toad didn't get in then Tingle is out of the question for me. He's not even a main character in the mainstream series and I can't say his spin off series really warrants an inclusion.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think she only appeared once after Brawl, but I may be wrong. He did make all the clones from Melee pretty unique with the exception of their specials and some of Ganondorf's attacks. Toon Link was probably the cloniest of all of them, but he did have those traits of uniqueness. I'm hoping we get Tetra instead of her. I just see Vaati adding more to the roster than most of the other probable Zelda newcomers.
You can either take Sakurai's words, where he says he values originality most, or you can take his actions, where of the eight Zelda characters we know were planned for Smash at one time or another, over half were clones. Sure, I'd like them to add a character that would definitely be original as well, but as evidenced by Brawl, Sakurai obviously thought Toon Zelda was next in line. Perhaps that's just because he was resorting to clones to pad the roster, but since then, who has really made an impact that can outweigh her? Not Ghirahim. Not characters that haven't showed up since pre-Brawl like Vaati or Skull Kid or Midna. Maybe Tingle, but even that's a toss-up. She wouldn't even be close to my first choice either, but chances are she is next in line.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Punch-Out and Golden Sun are fine with Assist Trophies.
See, I was agreeing with you until I saw this. Punch Out okay with an assist trophy? While its series has so much personality and a recent revival? Sorry, but Nintendo Wars will NEVER get representation over Punch Out imo.
The demand for Little Mac is too high to have a Nintendo Wars character with hardly any demand get in the game instead.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai just says **** sometimes, kind of like how everyone does. Like when he looks for "unique" and "interesting" additions, but tries to add two zeldas two marios, two links, and two shieks all in Brawl.

The demand for Little Mac is too high to have a Nintendo Wars character with hardly any demand get in the game instead.

*points to Wii Fit Trainer, and Ridley*

Not that I think we will get a Wars character or anything but that doesn't really mean much. I mean, I wish it did. I wish we got the characters we wanted.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do you think it was really for any other reason than filler/to have a fifth Zelda rep to match Pokemon and Mario?
I think "big three series" equality is one of the last things in Sakurai's mind, considering only one of the three games actually had the same amount between all three series. People have taken a one-time coincidence and unexceptionably made it a rule. It's quite strange, and I think it played almost no part in him deciding the roster. As for filler, that may have played a role in it, but like I said, this time around (while ofc it's no guarantee we even get a new Zelda character), who do you think he's going to go with? He does have a history of revisiting planned ideas, and no new Zelda characters can claim to have the overall impact or prominence of Toon Zelda (and her transformations). So even if she was filler last time, and even if she's filler this time, I'd say there's no likelier pick, as far as Zelda goes.

As for Tingle, I really think a character's role really affects inclusion for most franchises. If Toad didn't get in then Tingle is out of the question for me. He's not even a main character in the mainstream series and I can't say his spin off series really warrants an inclusion.
No one is saying Tingle is on the level of characters already added, but with a mix of his sub-series plus his recurring role in the main series, that does put him higher than most other Zelda characters. Not to say he's definitely going to get in, personally I don't think he will, but he still has a shot, and tbh it's a better shot than most other Zelda characters. Also, good thing you specified for you, because that comparison would hold very little weight. Tingle and Toad aren't in the same position, even if they have a few similarities.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why should we be thrilled by the inclusion of Tingle, again?

Because it's not Toon ****. And he has balloons. And more personality than half the cast he stars along with. He's also really classy, and hangs out with the band members of Nine Inch Nails. He was also spotted partying with the Olsen twins, and was riding shot gun with Amanda Bynes. He made her drive. He was like, "***** Im not tryna get a DUI"

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because it's not Toon ****. And he has balloons. And more personality than half the cast he stars along with. He's also really classy, and hangs out with the band members of Nine Inch Nails. He was also spotted partying with the Olsen twins, and was riding shot gun with Amanda Bynes. He made her drive.
Let me repeat this again.

Why should we be thrilled by Tingle, again?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sure it DESERVES a character, but the likelihood of it getting one is quite low.
There is little to no demand and other series that will likely get represented beforehand.
Muh fan request, Muh recognize, Muh casual!

I'd say that a unique franchise with such a history spread out across Nintendo consoles and such potential shouldn't be overlooked because of demand.

See, I was agreeing with you until I saw this. Punch Out okay with an assist trophy? While its series has so much personality and a recent revival? Sorry, but Nintendo Wars will NEVER get representation over Punch Out imo.
Nobody said anything about it getting in over Punch-Out, however you seem really hell bent on fan demand and recency being the king of criteria and priority.

Autumn ♫

You can either take Sakurai's words, where he says he values originality most, or you can take his actions, where of the seven Zelda characters we know were planned for Smash at one time or another, over half were clones. Sure, I'd like them to add a character that would definitely be original as well, but as evidenced by Brawl, Sakurai obviously thought Toon Zelda was next in line. Perhaps that's just because he was resorting to clones to pad the roster, but since then, who has really made an impact that can outweigh her? Not Ghirahim. Not characters that haven't showed up since pre-Brawl like Vaati or Skull Kid or Midna. Maybe Tingle, but even that's a toss-up. She wouldn't even be close to my first choice either, but chances are she is next in line.
I'm taking in both his words and actions, they won't all be clones, but more or less semi-clones, like what he did with Brawl. I'd say that Tetra, at the moment, has a better chance than T.Zelda, but that's just my take on it. I'm not sure if we can say that Vaati didn't reappear after Brawl, because Vaati had 2 of his games re-released, one being a 3DS ambassador and one being an anniversary edition both in 2011, so he may use that for Vaati as he used WWHD for Toon Link.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you think there are characters/franchises that are ONLY popular because people made aware how awesome they'd be as a fighter in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom