• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Based entirely on gut feelings, Starfy strikes me as the Assist Trophy equivalent to Goldeen or Wobbuffet, you know, a summon that gains notoriety for being a joke and then recurs as a joke summon because of its notoriety.

Remember all that discussion back in the day that Sakurai made Starfy an awful, attackable Assist Trophy because of insecurity about his similarities to Kirby? "Starfy, why did you even come here?!" on the DOJO and all that.

Times to post: 2

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, I see what's the deal with Starfy since he's a beloved character fro a series of handheld games in the past. Then again, anything's better than a certain Wii-related avatar.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That would suck. Isaac would be really fun to fight with. But I suppose that they aren't all that likely to begin with.
I'm expecting the same exact scenario to happen this time around, Isaac (and Golden Sun in general) being overlooked for unknown reasons and people being confused and disappointed.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I do think starfy have a strong chance and everybody is subestimating him, but somehow the "classic yet actual portable-system star" argument doesn't sound too convincing.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Based entirely on gut feelings, Starfy strikes me as the Assist Trophy equivalent to Goldeen or Wobbuffet, you know, a summon that gains notoriety for being a joke and then recurs as a joke summon because of its notoriety.

Remember all that discussion back in the day that Sakurai made Starfy an awful, attackable Assist Trophy because of insecurity about his similarities to Kirby? "Starfy, why did you even come here?!" on the DOJO and all that.
Defense A: Villager

Defense B: We shouldn't take Sakurai joking with a character as reason to believe he does not or ever will take the character seriously at all. Starfy being that Goldeen Assist Trophy is funny, but it could have just as well been many other Nintendo characters. It could have been Villager since he's so peaceful, that'd be fun to beat up (in a video game). You also have to acknowledge that while Sakurai has expressed personal bias in the form of only playing around with what his role would have been regardless, he has also treated him differently from others. For one he made a statement about this character as if he were to be considered someone who should be playable thus worth making a statement about. You could argue it was to shut up annoying fans, but he doesn't usually bother to make statements about stupid requests. Starfy has also been given a second trophy as well as quite a few stickers. Sakurai shows bias and ****s on lots of people including playable characters. Pichu is almost worthless and damages himself regardless of that being a common thing in the games. And like you said it was only his insecurity of his similarities to Kirby.

All of the statements on the dojo only make fun of his move potential and the statement "Starfy, why did you even come here?!" pokes fun at how unprepared he was. Anyway, I don't worry too much about what Sakurai considered in Brawl to not have potential.

Times to post: 12 (I'M NOT ****ING KIDDING!)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Iunno man, I doubt we're getting Isaac or Shulk, let alone any other smaller franchise characters. (Though I believe we'll get the Miis and Little Mac)

The newcomer choices will be alright this time around, not amazing.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
And how could you say no? Kids love 'em! :p
index.jpg

How could you say no to those innocent souls who probably don't play T for teen games or even remember any of this? :p

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Are you ****ing serious? Smash is just a giant game of pinball with fighting mechanics, cartoon violence, and explosives. Lots and lots of explosives.
No one "dies", and the losers all come together at the end to applaud for the winner.

Punching each other in the face until someone's knocked unconscious and swiping and stabbing people with fencing sticks isn't any less violent just because they're considered "sports".
You know what was considered a sport? Gladiator fighting. Welp, guess it's perfectly acceptable for Miis to fight to death cutting off each other's limbs then executing the loser while shouting "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?"
I know they don't actually die, I guess I should have made that more clear. Anyway, they don't even use legit fencing swords.
Doesn't look all that dangerous to me. They even felt it necessary for the Mii's to wear all this protection when using those big plastic colorful swords in Wii Sports Resort. With the boxing it's presented as a friendly game and it doesn't look like they're hurting each other that much, and they don't become unconscious, a few seconds after the match is over you see that the Mii is perfectly fine, happy even. It seems they're ok with Mii's punching and being punched, so long as they're wearing boxing gloves. There's a reason you don't see gladiator fighting much anymore, yet you still see fencing and boxing. Whenever a Mii is harmed in a Wii Party minigame it's shown in a silly and humorous way, in Smash it's not.

Attachments

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Mii talk? I'd hate to see them in the game, I really would. There's no way Miis don't become the most spammed character in Smash history, not because of being enjoyable or unique to use, but because of the oh-so-hilarious Obama/Miley/Nicolas Cage/Hitler/penis gags with which juvenile gamers get their jollies. I also don't think a sports-based moveset would be unique in the slightest (it would essentially be Peach's F-Smash on every move), but if a character had to have one, I'd 100% prefer it to be Waluigi, since he's been playing sports for far longer and has an actual personality and connections to veterans that render his inclusion much easier to stomach.

Too bad Mii had to usurp one of the Leaky Three spots. I really wish it were anyone else.
I don't think Miis would be as prevalent as you think. With most of the games in which you can take your Miis online, to the average juvenile gamer, the differences between character aren't very clear. In Mario Kart Wii/7, for example, the average gamers who go around with their racist and celebrity Miis do so
A) Because it's "funny"
B) Because there's little difference between picking your Mii and picking any other character. Why pick Wario or Luigi when I can go with Dick4Face? Those small stat boosts that come with each characters don't really matter to the average player, so being "funny" really doesn't come at any cost.
I think that with Smash though the problem would not be as severe, using the same example, as Mario Kart Wii/7 (I'll admit that I really hate Miis in those game) because, unlike so many online games in which Miis are playable, each character in Smash feels different. Even the average juvenile gamer has characters that they like to use over others. And those characters may or may not include Miis.
Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like you would never see those kids who think that they're hilarious for playing as Lady Gaga or Hitler, but I don't think it would be quite as prevalent as you think it would be. Because if those same kids don't actually like to play as Miis, then they won't keep up the "hilarity" for as long as they would if all the characters seemingly played the same.
I know that making such a claim for such a large group of players is rather crazy, but it's just food for thought I suppose. This is always a possible outcome for what online could become with Miis. I completely understand your reasons for despising the idea of playable Miis though, since an online environment where I'm fighting three "hilarious" Miis doesn't sound appealing in the slightest.
You're point about sport-themed movesets though I completely agree. It's incredibly generic. I personally would want Miis to have a moveset that involves using various console-related objects (I think swinging around a Wii-mote and Nunchuk would be rather funny and unique. Or perhaps clamping a 3DS on an opponent.) and attacks based off of the Mii Plaza games. Attacks involving things Miis are related to that wouldn't make too much sense if they were given to another character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Punch-Out being a small series starring a character who can only punch is why I have my doubts about Little Mac. Don't get me wrong, makes for great specials, but basic smash attacks......eeeeggghh.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Punch-Out being a small series starring a character who can only punch is why I have my doubts about Little Mac. Don't get me wrong, makes for great specials, but basic smash attacks......eeeeggghh.
A playstyle with an emphasis on punishing opponents with brutal attacks doesn't really sound drab. It's a playstyle that seems pretty fitting for Little Mac, for boxing is a sport designed for exploiting mistakes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well-reasoned. I'm a bit more paranoid because, not being one of the Hitler Mii Horde, I'm unsure whether they choose those Miis over other characters in Mario Kart because the characters don't feel different to them, or because the fact that they can play as Hitler makes the other characters boring by comparison. If the latter mentality is the case, I'd hate to see that become a plague that Smash, too, has to deal with. Also, don't underestimate the propensity for some Miiverse-esque gamers to find similarities between characters when there are none; I've observed accusations that Dedede and Charizard were clones of Kirby and Bowser, respectively, and those probably aren't even that disgusting in the grand scheme of things. :troll:

Doesn't Starfy have his own variant of animal buddies in his series? I mean, if the Kongs don't use their buddies at this point, Starfy almost certainly won't, but if you want a big stretch...

D

Deleted member

Xenoblaze said:
If he was a legit leaker, he should of, you know, gotten every single detail correct. You don't just simply know information and still somehow botch it, that's a violation against common sense. Not to mention a good leaker would of at least provided information about the subject in question, not just throw random names into a pot and gamble.
This thing was, he was merely the messenger. He was not the one that had the information directly from the source (as in, he's not a leaker period; he just had some info supplied by someone else), that was the informant he received the information from weeks prior.
When he placed the names on NeoGAF, he was not attempting to leak anything. He didn't even think the information he got was real and just put down the characters for the lulz.
So with literally half of the leaked information proven true, and two aspects of that leak being information no sane man would just "guess", his informant was actually holding on to legit information. You'd have to be stupid to think it was nothing but a lucky guess. The only thing that could be questioned is if the second half is legit, which remains to be seen. There's only two possible routes: deliberate ruse to sneak the real info (Villager, Mega Man, WFT) and keep Nintendo off the trail or legit characters with the wrong reveal time.

There's also the fact that Caw Evolution, the one notorious for various fighting game roster leaks, verifies that the NeoGAF poster legitimately did receive the information that he claimed to have received and that the actual leaker (the informant) is a legitimate source.
However, he too questions what I said above, whether the Little Pac-Mii part was a cover-up or whether it is true but the fact they'd be at E3 was wrong.

And the X/Y leaker botched information yet everything else was correct save for a few errors (saying Psychic resists Fairy attacks when it was Poison that does, spelling Pancham as "Panchum", saying Mewtwo's other form "being more Mew-like in design" than the one we already knew about when the opposite is true, etc.).
So is that leaker not legit by your definition?

godzillathewonderdog said:
Whenever a Mii is harmed in a Wii Party minigame it's shown in a silly and humorous way, in Smash it's not.

If it makes Ganondorf of all people do THAT, how is it not humorous?
Let alone being blown up with bombs like in cartoons, being send "BLASTING OFF AGAIN" like Team Rocket, and just being overall slapstick comedy like you'd see in The Three Stooges.

?????????????

Smash Master
I've always liked characters like Little Mac. I would love to see him in SSB because he DOESN'T have crazy special abilities. He's not super strong, he can't breathe fire, he can't eat people, he doesn't even wield a weapon. And yet he can still kick Donkey Kong's ass. Or punch, rather.

That's why my favorite Street Fighter characters are like...Dudley and Zangief, and my favorite Naruto character is Rock Lee...I like the character who can keep up with the super powerful characters out of pure fighting skill. Guess Wii Fit Trainer can be my alternative if Mac DOESN'T make it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
A playstyle with an emphasis on punishing opponents with brutal attacks doesn't really sound drab. It's a playstyle that seems pretty fitting for Little Mac, for boxing is a sport designed for exploiting mistakes.

It is drab, but it isn't hindering. Besides, it's not like Sakurai is afraid of making tired ass movesets. Personally I think his playstyle will be interesting, in the sense that it's simplistic which most characters in Smash are not. Bar maybe Marth.

courte

Smash Lord
i'm sick of them running out of time and thus 'creating clones' take all of the time in the world. since there will never be dlc and every smash game for the devs is like a labor of love and pulling teeth, i'll happily wait. i'll rage after about things like ROB and no one getting cut and only swordsmen from fire emblem again?! and great samus is all alone but kirby gets to bring his friends but i'll wait

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

View attachment 4744

I'm not a fan of Miis, but really, I'd give them a chance.

They should be customizable, but not to the point of having other character's moves and taking uniqueness away from them.

After all, what would be the point of playing as Mario or Fox if Miis had their moves?

----
I said I hate Miis,not I don't think a Mii has chances,or I hate Miis because their are bland or can't be unique.
I just hate the character.
And that's photoshop because Bandana Dee,is only one.
Sakurai will be a lot more creative than just punches.
He can throw Boxing gloves, jump the rope, hit with a sandbag or even drink a bottle of water or an energy drink to heal himself.
I don't know. XD
And how could you say no? Kids love 'em! :p
He is too big, DECONFIRMED. :troll:

i'm sick of them running out of time and thus 'creating clones' take all of the time in the worldt
The only legit clone from Brawl was Toon Link

Just saying. They at least luigified 'em making the clones we know semi-clones. Semi-clones are not bad at all in my opinion. As long as they play differently (I'm still irked on the whole melee restoration of Falco in P:M. They play differently but their moves.. Christ.

And ROB was awesome.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I've observed accusations that Dedede and Charizard were clones of Kirby and Bowser, respectively, and those probably aren't even that disgusting in the grand scheme of things. :troll:
I mean, you know, ONE move is enough.
Mario, Luigi, Samus, and Link are all clones too. Just look at their neutral-airs! The proof is RIGHT THERE.
Just like how we're not very representative of the Smash fanbase, I pray to Arceus that people like that aren't either.

courte

Smash Lord
So is Golden Sun, Mother, F-Zero, Punch-Out, Star Fox, and Mega Man. At least from a popular point of view, but realistically such successful/supported franchise can't be declared dead for being absent for only 5 years (or more in F-Zero and Star Fox's case with the exception of a remake). But, isn't the point to represent the best of Nintendo's past? Not the most current? It's about Nintendo's greatest not Nintendo's latest. For all you know we could get a Nintendo Direct with Starfy 3D tomorrow! (well the day after since we get a heads up the day before)

At least Starfy has been given better treatment than most other Nintendo franchises and actually has been given more acknowledgement by Sakurai than most other franchises.

Not that I ever take personal bias into account.
it's about nintendo's greatest, but that doesn't mean it counts out it's latest. some franchises fall into both. i don't know why everyone keeps prattling on about Xeno whatever chronicles, but if this many people are talking about it, it's gotta be something good. i can respect that at the end of the day even if i don't respect the main character being called she hulk

The only legit clone from Brawl was Toon Link

Just saying. They at least luigified 'em making the clones we know semi-clones. Semi-clones are not bad at all in my opinion. As long as they play differently (I'm still irked on the whole melee restoration of Falco in P:M. They play differently but their moves.. Christ.

And ROB was awesome.

you and i don't have the same viewpoint and that is ok. i'm ok with that. some things we agree on. falco felt more like falco in brawl i'll admit even if for some areas i didn't like the game as much as melee. but semi-clones as you put it to me are still on the same level as clones. with returning 'clones' changing as drastically as falco did it softens the blow, if not so much as with ganondorf it makes me wish they scrapped his brawl designed and started from scratch taking nothing but ganondorfs character history into account with a trace of captain falco.

but new characters filling out a moveset mold like wolf did? its funny some people get offended if you call him a clone, but don't bat an eye when you call him a spacie. what exactly do those people think the term spacie implies? his normals are different yes, because they sure as hell had better be, but why do characters from the same franchise have to have similar specials? i'm well aware of the difference in properties and animations for the moves, but did it have to be blaster-reflector-you see where i'm going with this. but then again i'm biased. i don't think anything of it when ryu ken akuma and sakura have some similar moves with different properties. but they have such chunky movelist every single attack matters. with smash i yearn to see as diverse a cast ever in each installment, and characters in a game where you are fighting each other show their diversity by fighting differently from one another

first time clones = ok. second time semi-clones = wut. third time around = please either make them a new character or just put in a new character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What would Starfy bring to the table other than spinning, dashing at enemys and slapping?
I haven't played the game, but there is Water, shooting star, and tons of Transformations which are these Animal-like friend costume thingies. Like this for example:

Would make a really good upward special if you down size it. To be honest, since he has the ability to spin attack, shoot forward in a spin, and glide, he can be a clone of Meta Knight. :troll:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I haven't played the game
Wut.
but there is Water, shooting star, and tons of Transformations
Yeah, I agree, Starfy's got a lot of potential. These abilities (in the Legendary Starfy for DS at least) are given to Starfy by Bunston, who is basically an alien rabbit.
I think that transformations would work best as a Final Smash, because it isn't like Starfy can perform them on his own.
And I think this is the best option.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nah, the perfect Final Smash would be sending the moon crashing on the stage like he did to the final boss in The Legendary Starfy. Skull Kid deconfirmed! :awesome:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys (or whoever's there)!
I was thinking about Metroid and Ridley and such, when I decided to put together a short list of what I think are Nintendo's most important franchises, and what it needs/has to be complete.

Mario: Hero: Mario, Sidekick: Luigi, Damsel: Peach, Villain: Bowser
Pokémon: Hero: Pokémon Trainer, Sidekick: Pikachu, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Mewtwo? (Pokémon is a tough one)
Zelda: Hero: Link, Sidekick: Navi , Damsel: Zelda, Villain: Ganondorf
Wii: Hero: Mii, Sidekick: n/a, Damsel: n/a, Villain: n/a
DK: Hero: DK, Sidekick: Diddy/Dixie, Damsel: n/a, Villain: K. Rool
Kirby: Hero: Kirby, Sidekick: Meta Knight?, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Dedede
Metroid: Hero: Samus, Sidekick: n/a, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Ridley
Star Fox: Hero: Fox, Sidekick: Falco, Damsel: Krystal (although she is unnecessary), Villain: Wolf

There are other franchises, but I listed the ones I consider very important to Nintendo's history (although I did not include Kid Icarus, it is a notable franchise because of its importance in the NES days and its recent revival).
The characters included in this list are basically the ones that I consider necessary, from a series representation standpoint. Note that new series (except for Wii) were not included. I just thought since Wii Sports is the best selling game ever, Wii should probably be included.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Does anyone else feel like casual players (aka people who dont know about someone like Starfy) will mistake Starfy for a Mario Galaxy character?

...because I think its likely

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone else feel like casual players (aka people who dont know about someone like Starfy) will mistake Starfy for a Mario Galaxy character?

I mistook ROB for Wall-E at first and then some modified version of ROB 64. So yeah.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Hey guys (or whoever's there)!
I was thinking about Metroid and Ridley and such, when I decided to put together a short list of what I think are Nintendo's most important franchises, and what it needs/has to be complete.

Mario: Hero: Mario, Sidekick: Luigi, Damsel: Peach, Villain: Bowser
Pokémon: Hero: Pokémon Trainer, Sidekick: Pikachu, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Mewtwo? (Pokémon is a tough one)
Zelda: Hero: Link, Sidekick: Navi , Damsel: Zelda, Villain: Ganondorf
Wii: Hero: Mii, Sidekick: n/a, Damsel: n/a, Villain: n/a
DK: Hero: DK, Sidekick: Diddy/Dixie, Damsel: n/a, Villain: K. Rool
Kirby: Hero: Kirby, Sidekick: Meta Knight?, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Dedede
Metroid: Hero: Samus, Sidekick: n/a, Damsel: n/a, Villain: Ridley
Star Fox: Hero: Fox, Sidekick: Falco, Damsel: Krystal (although she is unnecessary), Villain: Wolf

There are other franchises, but I listed the ones I consider very important to Nintendo's history (although I did not include Kid Icarus, it is a notable franchise because of its importance in the NES days and its recent revival).
The characters included in this list are basically the ones that I consider necessary, from a series representation standpoint. Note that new series (except for Wii) were not included. I just thought since Wii Sports is the best selling game ever, Wii should probably be included.
I will count Sidekick / Rival : Falco is a Sidekick of Fox but at the same time a Rival for him, the same can be argued about Meta Knight and Kirby and for Samus I will consider Sylux / Weavel the main Rival of her.
By the way in so form I consider Jigglypuff the Damsel of Pokémon.
.n_n.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
A really japanese-ish chibi character with international obscurity would bring some variety. And I don't mean that in a cultural way like Takamaru.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

Wouldn't be the first time something like this happened, casual players usually don't know half the characters on the roster anyways but if the character is cool they will use them anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom