• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izingo

Smash Rookie
No we didn't end up getting seven, but it was Sakurai's intention that we would, so now that the roster's only bigger and the character that just missed it last time has new momentum behind him (as well as all the Brawl veterans having a pretty decent chance of sticking around), it definitely wouldn't be too much to assume Sakurai will still want seven total, and will actually be able to implement them all.

Plus even though your opinion of Lucario is less than stellar doesn't mean others share that opinion. His popularity and prevalence have once again spiked, which can only mean promising things for his chances.

If Lucario didn't out-prioritize Mewtwo we would've gotten Mewtwo and not Lucario.
But what makes you think it was lucario, because they are similar?

?????????????

Smash Master
If anything, wouldn't it make much more sense to, if it came down to it, prioritize one Lucario that people like over the Pokemon Trainer that takes up time and space that people are pretty "meh" about? I mean, they're both newcomers of Brawl. Couldn't either one be as likely to be cut in the same fashion as Mewtwo was?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And this time I can see Mewtwo out-prioritize Lucario, the only way I can see Lucario coming back is that late in the development of the game they couldn't include a character and need to pick up one really quickly.
.n_n.
But why wouldn't you think he'd be included initially with the other veterans? He's still among the most popular and promoted Pokemon, and chances are Sakurai was informed of his surprising large role in X/Y back when he was working with GF over the roster. It's not like he's Pichu, it's not like there's a new Pokemon character of a higher priority than the veterans, plus Sakurai intended for five last time, now the roster's only bigger.

Not to mention his Mega Evolution would be far easier to implement than Mewtwo or Charizard's, considering he only has one and he's not part of a transformation gimmick.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
But as a developer I prefer to put more resources in getting a better balance between all the series (big, medium and small) than going crazy with one alone, especially if say Second Party is a pain in the *** to work with and don´t let me use the characters until is approved and is worse than even using Third Party characters (obviously I´m referring to Game Freak).

.n_n.
Going crazy? I think you're underestimating the amount of effort that will be put elsewhere. Keeping what we have and adding Mewtwo really shouldn't be that difficult. There are starting points for every single one of those characters.

?????????????

Smash Master
But what makes you think it was lucario, because they are similar?
Think of it this way:

We don't know who was a higher priority between the Trainer and Lucario, but we DO know that both of them were higher priorities than Mewtwo. So, the list would have been either-

1.) Trainer
2.) Lucario
3.) Mewtwo

OR

1.) Lucario
2.) Trainer
3.) Mewtwo

In both scenarios, Lucario was a bigger priority than Mewtwo.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
It'd be redundant if they all used the same system.
Then it was mechanic that was trying to represent more the type of game that Pokemon Trainer comes but in the end is broken as hell, if that is the case still dosen´t mean anything with the three Pokemon that are in the same slot and are still different characters between all three.
Really? Because Lucario has only gotten MORE popular and has had MORE prominent roles since being introduced.
Yeah like Palutena in the last game did receive and overhauling to her character and becomes more prominent, like Little Mac that become even more famous and deserves a spot in the roster after getting a game in the Wii, maybe Ridley that has get even more appearances after Brawl with Metroid: Other M and even a "Casual game" (I hate to use that term) like Nintendo Land, or perhaps Shulk with the success of Project Rainfall and the leader on that crusade, or finally Isaac after three Golden Sun series maybe be considered to get a spot in the roster being from a Second Party that would not put to many rules and **** to include their characters into Smash like Game Freak does.

My final conclusion there are better characters than Lucario and deserve a spot in the roster that even one Pokemon from a series that by now with the addition of Mewtwo could get more than itself being represented and care to the core fans of that franchise.

.n_n.

?????????????

Smash Master
My final conclusion there are better characters than Lucario and deserve a spot in the roster that even one Pokemon from a series that by now with the addition of Mewtwo could get more than itself being represented and care to the core fans of that franchise.

.n_n.
If you're going to cut characters purely off the basis that there's better characters, you might as well cut Jigglypuff over Lucario.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah like Palutena in the last game did receive and overhauling to her character and becomes more prominent, like Little Mac that become even more famous and deserves a spot in the roster after getting a game in the Wii, maybe Ridley that has get even more appearances after Brawl with Metroid: Other M and even a "Casual game" (I hate to use that term) like Nintendo Land, or perhaps Shulk with the success of Project Rainfall and the leader on that crusade, or finally Isaac after three Golden Sun series maybe be considered to get a spot in the roster being from a Second Party that would not put to many rules and **** to include their characters into Smash like Game Freak does.

.n_n.
Thing is if a veteran increases in popularity and notoriety chances are they're going to be kept around (especially if there's no new competition). He's already made it onto the roster, which puts him in a different situation than all those characters. It's not like Sheik or Jiggs or Ness have needed to remain popular or prominent in their series to still make the cut.

Not that the characters you mentioned are bad choices though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pokemon has always been such a tough nut to crack for me, at one hand I would like to see all the Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo return, but at the same time, I would also like to see a brand new Pokemon newcomer join the battle too as a playable character. My word... :urg:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
RIP Zoroark Popularity 2010-2012
There's a chance he may look at his uniqueness as a character that could possibly ourprioritize other Pokemon characters, he still has decent popularity to warrant a slot.

Pokemon has always been such a tough nut to crack for me, at one hand I would like to see all the Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo return, but at the same time, I would also like to see a brand new Pokemon newcomer join the battle. My word... :urg:
I feel the same, too bad we can't have six Pokemon "slots" in a Smash 4, as Sakurai doesn't like to overflow a franchise with lots of characters.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Pokemon has always been such a tough nut to crack for me, at one hand I would like to see all the Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo return, but at the same time, I would also like to see a brand new Pokemon newcomer join the battle too as a playable character. My word... :urg:
This is why I want Pokken Fighters to exsist.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A broken mechanic that force yourself in switching is not convenient (and I hope in the future is removed or better handled) if that is the case why Zelda and Sheik, Samus and ZSS don´t use the stamina system too?
.n_n.

Am now even more scared to see Sheik return honestly...

?????????????

Smash Master
Pokemon has always been such a tough nut to crack for me, at one hand I would like to see all the Brawl veterans plus Mewtwo return, but at the same time, I would also like to see a brand new Pokemon newcomer join the battle. My word... :urg:
I get comments on my videos that tell me my Pokemon line-up is dumb because it doesn't introduce a new 6th gen Pokemon.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
But why wouldn't you think he'd be included initially with the other veterans? He's still among the most popular and promoted Pokemon, and chances are Sakurai was informed of his surprising large role in X/Y back when he was working with GF over the roster. It's not like he's Pichu, it's not like there's a new Pokemon character of a higher priority than the veterans, plus Sakurai intended for five last time, now the roster's only bigger.

Not to mention his Mega Evolution would be far easier to implement than Mewtwo or Charizard's, considering he only has one and he's not part of a transformation gimmick.
He can be the most Popular Pokemon but by now he still need to find his place and beat the veterans (in that department is difficult because of his moveset) and after that beat other popular choices from many series that are still need to get a spot in the roster, for now I see Pokemon sustaining six playable characters and good enough development has been put into that series with Pokemon Trainer (Pokemon Trainer is more unique in any way than Lucario thats why is even higher in rank than Lucario and Mewtwo is the most requested Pokemon, by the previous Smash in Melee to Brawl was the series with the most changes to the roster so I´m expecting again a change in its roster).
Going crazy? I think you're underestimating the amount of effort that will be put elsewhere. Keeping what we have and adding Mewtwo really shouldn't be that difficult. There are starting points for every single one of those characters.
But each character takes a lot of time and are done from scratch each game and the Pokemon Trainer and Lucario needs a lot of overhauling to their movesets so I think the one out-prioritizing in this case is PKMN Trainer and the final competition will be between Lucario and Mewtwo by now the most requested and more famous Pokemon between these two is obviously Mewtwo.

.n_n.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I get comments on my videos that tell me my Pokemon line-up is dumb because it doesn't introduce a new 6th gen Pokemon.
Needs moar recency.
But really, its pretty much impossible to try and balance out the Pokemon roster by generation.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can't even think of any possible 6th gen pokemon that wouldn't be (most likely) a final smash. Unless Mega Mewtwo Y and/or Mega Lucario will transform the way Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZSSamus do.... Or some other way that isn't the Giga Bowser and Wario Man treatment....

?????????????

Smash Master
There's no point. The Mega Evolutions of already existing Pokemon were far more up-played. It's not like the introductions of Lucario and Zoroark.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There's not much truly unique popular choices for a Pokemon in the 6th gen., that's why I pick Zoroark for a Pokemon newcomer, I still see his illusion mechanic being the most unique out of all Pokemon in the franchise. Sakurai even stated his Pokemon criteria earlier this year, I feel like were bound to get a Pokemon newcomer.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
There's a chance he may look at his uniqueness as a character that could possibly ourprioritize other Pokemon characters, he still has decent popularity to warrant a slot.
The overall main reason we're probably not getting Zoroark is because we have the 4 (or 6) Pokemon characters in Brawl, and we have Mewtwo. These are the most iconic and important characters to Pokemon: The mascot, the main character, the big baddy, and two of the most advertised Pokemon outside the obvious Mewtwo, Pikachu, and Charizard.

Zoroark hasn't reached this level of importance. He's hardly being advertised anymore.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
But each character takes a lot of time and are done from scratch each game and the Pokemon Trainer and Lucario needs a lot of overhauling to their movesets so I think the one out-prioritizing in this case is PKMN Trainer and the final competition will be between Lucario and Mewtwo by now the most requested and more famous Pokemon between these two is obviously Mewtwo.

.n_n.
That's making the assumption that it wouldn't be worth it to just add all 3 of those characters. There would be tons of backlash if a single one of them left now that Lucario is still rather significant. Sakurai has proven that he isn't afraid to delay the game to add characters he deems worth it.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
If Mewtwo gets any mega form, it's likely we aren't getting a single 6th gen.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Thing is if a veteran increases in popularity and notoriety chances are they're going to be kept around (especially if there's no new competition). He's already made it onto the roster, which puts him in a different situation than all those characters. It's not like Sheik or Jiggs or Ness have needed to remain popular or prominent in their series to still make the cut.

Not that the characters you mentioned are bad choices though.
The reason Sheik, Jiggs and Ness are still kept are because of seniority in two cases, a really well done moveset that become extremely popular in Melee and by now has a lot of followers and the love of Sakurai for Earthbound / Mother and do not forget that Jiggs still has one of the more unique and wacky movesets from all the cast that by now has a huge following and no one can replicate. Compared to Lucario that has one of the blandest movesets, a broken mechanic, not a lot of people used it compared to others and a huge competition in his own series from all 719 critters, puts him in a really rough spot especially because the game needs a balance between all the series that are in Smash, the same reason we don´t have 10 characters from Mario Series, or 5 lords in Fire Emblem, there still need a balance.
.n_n.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo is 6th Gen enough.
I honestly think that 6th gen can be represented with Pokeball items. Pangoro, Hawlucha, Goomy, Espurr, and Mega Evolutions... perhaps a stage? It is enough. We do not need a playable 6th gen rep in the same way we didn't need a 3rd or 5th. Honestly, Pichu hardly represents Johto in my opinion. I think the point I am trying to make apparent is that Sakurai isn't trying to represent ANY generation of Pokemon. He is picking ideal candidates, that is it.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I can easily see pokemon have 7 playable characters. pokemon is not only one of the largest franchises Nintendo has, but it also has literally hundreds of equally important and viable characters to the franchise.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Mewtwo is 6th Gen enough.
He'd basically be representing 6th Gen.

I'm sure the Pokemon company desperately wants Sakurai to put in recent Pokemon like Zoroark and Genesect, for example, but they're not as big as the intended Brawl Pokemon roster. I want a newcomer for Pokemon, but I feel the 4 + Mewtwo is the best bet.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I can easily see pokemon have 7 playable characters. pokemon is not only one of the largest franchises Nintendo has, but it also has literally hundreds of equally important and viable characters to the franchise.
Brawl had 6, so it's not out of the question.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't get the 'WE NEED NEW POKÉMAN REPS NOW NOW NOW' hype anyway. The only reason we actually GOT new generation Pokémon representation in Melee and Brawl is cause Melee had clones, hence Pichu. And Lucario was just really really popular.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ya know, we can always get this guy...

As a boss like we did with Rayquaza, there's our 6th gen rep..... inb4somebodybringingupKyuurem.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He can be the most Popular Pokemon but by now he still need to find his place and beat the veterans (in that department is difficult because of his moveset)
No he doesn't, there's room for five Pokemon slots, we were going to get that last time when the roster was even smaller. And he has a unique moveset, and the fairly likely chance of having his Mega Evolution implemented, so if anything his moveset is a point in his favour. Even if you don't like it. (Plus popularity matters more for returning veterans than moveset - just ask Falco and Mewtwo).

and after that beat other popular choices from many series that are still need to get a spot in the roster,
Umm... it's not like veterans need to earn their spot on the roster every time. Already being included previously plus the enduring popularity, renewed prominence within the main series, and promotion as basically the mascot for Mega Evolutions within the game give Lucario quite a lot in his favour. Veterans have returned with much less to their name.

for now I see Pokemon sustaining six playable characters and good enough development has been put into that series with Pokemon Trainer
Ok, you say six is good enough. Last time Sakurai tried to include seven. Let's see who gets their way in the end. ;)

(Pokemon Trainer is more unique in any way than Lucario thats why is even higher in rank than Lucario and Mewtwo is the most requested Pokemon, by the previous Smash in Melee to Brawl was the series with the most changes to the roster so I´m expecting again a change in its roster).
Yeah and Lucario is more popular than Jiggs. He was also prioritized higher than her last time around and since then has only gained more popularity and prominence. Seems like if any of them were to get cut, it'd be her, she was on the chopping block last time. But that's not going to happen either. Because Pokemon is almost definitely going to have five spots, it was very close to getting them last time, and by no means has the series declined since then.

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
Pokemon Characters
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-PKMN Trainer
-Lucario
-Mewtwo

But you never know, Sakurai could surprise us, I don't think anyone expected PKMN Trainer, R.O.B., or Wii Fit Trainer being playable.

Morbi

Scavenger
The reason Sheik, Jiggs and Ness are still kept are because of seniority in two cases, a really well done moveset that become extremely popular in Melee and by now has a lot of followers and the love of Sakurai for Earthbound / Mother and do not forget that Jiggs still has one of the more unique and wacky movesets from all the cast that by now has a huge following and no one can replicate. Compared to Lucario that has one of the blandest movesets, a broken mechanic, not a lot of people used it compared to others and a huge competition in his own series from all 719 critters, puts him in a really rough spot especially because the game needs a balance between all the series that are in Smash, the same reason we don´t have 10 characters from Mario Series, or 5 lords in Fire Emblem, there still need a balance.
.n_n.
I honestly have no clue how Lucario's "generic" move-set is relevant to his inclusion. He has something that almost every other candidate in the roster doesn't, a special mechanic. Regardless, unique move-sets are inherently subjective. Lucario was a great addition in my opinion, I utterly fail to see how he was "bland". It is difficult for me to associate him with any other character in the roster as he had a variety of moves. Not to mention his new found status as the contemporary Mega-Evolution mascot. He is not going anywhere.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pokemon Characters
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-PKMN Trainer
-Lucario
-Mewtwo

But you never know, Sakurai could surprise us, I don't think anyone expected PKMN Trainer, R.O.B., or Wii Fit Trainer being playable.

Would rather not be surprised. Would actually be surprised if Sakurai would do what the fans want in this matter... :/

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
I don't get the 'WE NEED NEW POKÉMAN REPS NOW NOW NOW' hype anyway. The only reason we actually GOT new generation Pokémon representation in Melee and Brawl is cause Melee had clones, hence Pichu. And Lucario was just really really popular.

If Mewtwo returns and Pokemon gets no cuts, that's 7! (I'm down with what Project M did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom