• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not in Nintendo's best interest to have a big trailer for something not available during the holiday season during the holiday season. That's why we don't get much new announced towards the end of the year, it takes focus away from the products they want you to buy this year. It's probably pretty likely we'll get a big ol' Direct in January though like last year. Nintendo really needs to stress why people should still care about (or start caring about) the Wii U next year, and showcasing their triple-A software (along with new reveals) is the best way to do that.

That said, we might get something on the 7th when Reggie is at VGX, though obviously no guarantees it's Smash related.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm honestly getting this confused with the Social thread. I have both threads open in tabs, and I sometimes can't tell which is which from a glance.

-----
I agree. I know this sadly might be asking a lot from some of you, but let's try to stay a bit more on topic, hmm?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Ruh-roh, Bandanna Dee has his next victim sighted!
Pls bandanna dee wouldn't hurt me, we eat at chef kawasaki's all time time :D

Also shin I'm Ice afffinity, hope you enjoy dem bonuses :awesome:

Also for on topic let's talk about............

Fire emblem :D

@waddle dee, agreed the pic will be something random.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or anything, but I just notice that sometimes.

...Should I post my pre-E3 SSB4 rosters for the new guys on here?
Even if you're not complaining, I am. The Social thread is a mess. And gawd knows we don't need two of them. :smirk:

And sure if you want to. That's what this place was once for, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's not in Nintendo's best interest to have a big trailer for something not available during the holiday season during the holiday season. That's why we don't get much new announced towards the end of the year, it takes focus away from the products they want you to buy this year. It's probably pretty likely we'll get a big ol' Direct in January though like last year. Nintendo really needs to stress why people should still care about (or start caring about) the Wii U next year, and showcasing their triple-A software (along with new reveals) is the best way to do that.
One major crippling flaw with this argument.

Next month is when we're going to have another major Nintendo Direct, not January. So, what the hell are they even going to talk about during that month? Just recite the games that were already released because of concerns over bloody sales now? Bah, that would be a really lame to do, playing so safe when it's pretty obvious playing it safe is causing more bad then good.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Uh... source?
Every two months, we get a Nintendo Direct. Not the more minor ones like in a vein to the one we had earlier this month, but more of a major one that talks about general software and hardware being developed and released. You've probably seen the ones from August and October at least, those are examples of what I'm talking about.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I doubt we'll get anything this Monday, I'm counting on next week for an reveal
We're not going to get anything for the rest of the month. At best it's going to be something more minor, like say a teaser for an item or stage. But likely it's going to be more hot Luigi on Marth action.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
We're not going to get anything for the rest of the month. At best it's going to be something more minor, like say a teaser for an item or stage. But likely it's going to be more hot Luigi on Marth action.
exactly (minus the luigi and marth action)
that is the reason why I'm counting on next week in December for something
Edit: times attempted to post this: 4

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Every two months, we get a Nintendo Direct. Not the more minor ones like in a vein to the one we had earlier this month, but more of a major one that talks about general software and hardware being developed and released. You've probably seen the ones from August and October at least, those are examples of what I'm talking about.
Well, if we guaranteed to get a major Direct every two months and not deviate from that pattern we would see one in January like they had last year, and not next month, right? I can't remember what they had at each Direct, but obviously along the way the pattern changed, and considering in Nintendo's mind they just had back-to-back standard Directs (even if one was rather underwhelming without much new information), it's possible they have another standard one next month, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee. Yeah, if they have a Direct that showcases Smash it's probably safe to assume we'll receive some info, but chances are it won't be a major trailer.

From a business standpoint it still makes most sense to hold all major trailers and new game reveals (even though it's possible we might get one next month - though unlikely) until the holiday quarter has ended, and stress what is available now to the consumers, especially in a situation as dire as Nintendo's current one. So to answer your question, yes, while it would be lame, I expect if we were to get a Direct next month it would be primarily restating what's available this holiday season, with minimal focus in comparison to what's to come next year, and if we get any new reveals, they'll be quite limited. Though I do agree it won't be limited solely to products of this year.

Just recite the games that were already released because of concerns over bloody sales now?
Now? As if Nintendo hasn't been about sales the whole time? Obviously concerns over bloody sales are Nintendo's utmost priority. They're still a business with a struggling major product getting TWO competitors this holiday season, right?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If a new character just so happened to show up in December, who do you think it will be? I kinda want to say Little Mac. For no particular reason honestly, he just seems like one of those characters to be shown off earlier, you know, if he is in the roster. But I suppose that the Miis might be possible too.

D

Deleted member

N3ON said:
Well, if we guaranteed to get a major Direct every two months and not deviate from that pattern we would see one in January like they had last year, and not next month, right?
Last January was the Pokémon Direct and a Wii U Direct.

The December before that was the "every other month" main Direct.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Here's something for the newer members.

I made a mixture of prediction rosters and wishlist rosters around May/June, as well as some rosters that were a mix of character predictions and unlikely characters that I wanted.

I posted these 3 rosters the week before E3 for the sake of finding out what people thought of them.

First up is a 45-character roster.
It was hard for me to make, since 3 characters were cut. (and I really want Snake to come back)

Here's a second roster, which has no Brawl characters cut and more slots (60 characters). It's more "unrealistic"

And here's a 99-character(!) roster. Obviously not gonna happen.

I'm mad at myself for not putting in Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Pichu. There was obviously enough room, but I guess I wanted to focus on newcomers and more obscure franchises more.

I didn't put in any Animal Crossing characters because of what Sakurai said about them being too peaceful. Glad he changed his mind.

----

Lastly, here's my post-E3 reveal roster made only a few days after said reveal, which I treated as a worse case scenario (bittersweet) prediction.
I was keeping my expectations low to avoid disappointment.

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the baby, Diddy.
Now nobody will pay attention to my rosters. *grumble*

-----

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh, LAWDY! Having a girlfriend takes a lot out of your weekend! :tired:

So how are all my lovelies today! ;)

My girlfriend gave birth just about 4 and a half hours ago, try that for a change ;)

Guess you could say I am going well! Really well! :D I have the most beautiful son in the world!

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
My girlfriend gave birth just about 4 and a half hours ago, try that for a change ;)

Guess you could say I am going well! Really well! :D I have the most beautiful son in the world!
oh, your wife gave birth diddy?
Omedetōgozaimasu, atarashii Otosan
Edit: times attempted to post this: 4
Edit2: whoops just realized I mad a mistake in there, whoops, well its fix

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Aha! Wonderful! Major congrats!

Hope everything goes well. Just be careful with that Baby Kong.
[collapse="Present!"]

[/collapse]

What's the little tyke's name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom