• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Alternate costumes should never outright change the character into a totally different character. It's fine when it's an avatar character like Wii Fit Trainer or Villager, but otherwise it's just stretching it too far. Wario for example just changes costumes, which is what it is by the end of the day, just costumes. I personally just hope for Female Villager and Dr. Mario, I think it'd be fine like that, despite how much I'd love any alternate Samus costume.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If sakurai thinks its weird for Dr mario to be a alt because of pills I think he would be the same for Roy being a alt because teh phyre.
Well, considering the boost in technology since Melee, which was when he made that comment, they should easily be able to give a Dr. Mario skin his pills. Heck, Project M did it with Brawl's engine, of course Sakurai and his team can do it too then.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alternate costumes should never outright change the character into a totally different character. It's fine when it's an avatar character like Wii Fit Trainer or Villager, but otherwise it's just stretching it too far. Wario for example just changes costumes, which is what it is by the end of the day, just costumes. I personally just hope for Female Villager and Dr. Mario, I think it'd be fine like that, despite how much I'd love any alternate Samus costume.
I'd be okay with a 'Leaf' outfit for Pokemon Trainer too. Or if Robin get in, having the two genders, but I agree that Roy as a Marth alt is a bit odd.

Having a Masked Marth alt for Marth though seems like a fine way to give Lucina a reference should she not be playable.

?????????????

Smash Master
To be fair, Lucina's battle animations in Awakening are the same as Marth's in awakening, so that's all the more reason a "Masked Marth" outfit would work fine.

On that note, Lucina/Marth's animations are different from Chrom's. Just pointing that out ;)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pokemon could get shiny alts.

And PT could get Blue, Gary, etc
Blue gets the shinies because he's always one step ahead of Red I presume :p

Shinies don't really need to be alts though, since they're simple color swaps even in the Pokémon games. Mewtwo kind of had his shiny color in Melee with his green skin, and likewise with Squirtle in Brawl.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Dr Mario doesnt make sense neither, except if we can change Marios fireball for pills and use them as both Mario and Dr Mario, otherwise, pls, no.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yea, Roy being Marth's alt makes no sense at all, same with Pichu being Pikachu's alt.
It makes less sense in the case of Pichu considering their proportions are not the same. Wouldn't be surprised if because of that, Pichu got the headbutt instead of the tail backflip for his Up smash.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Shinies? As alternates?!
..Why not just make them a palette swap?

Pichu's hitbox and frames are a much bigger difference from Pikachu's than Marth to Roy.

?????????????

Smash Master
It makes less sense in the case of Pichu considering their proportions are not the same.
Actually, I've been wondering about this for Wii Fit Trainer. Don't the different builds between Female and Male mean that one of them will be inevitably better than the other because of the slightly different hitboxes? Or will differing parts of them be non-targetable areas? Or will they actually have differing stats altogether?

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure nothing will change between Male and Female WFT except voice (since Male WFT with Female WFT voice would be awkward).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Actually, I've been wondering about this for Wii Fit Trainer. Don't the different builds between Female and Male mean that one of them will be inevitably better than the other because of the slightly different hitboxes? Or will differing parts of them be non-targetable areas? Or will they actually have differing stats altogether?
Considering they're both probably going to have the same animations, and they're both just tall, lean, and don't differ much in terms of vertical space, they're probably going to have the same hitboxes and stats.

?????????????

Smash Master
Considering they're both probably going to have the same animations, and they're both just tall, lean, and don't differ much in terms of vertical space, they're probably going to have the same hitboxes and stats.
Maybe. Their heights in Wii Fit are pretty different:

But it looks like it's not really different for SSB:

Conlusion? Canon sizes don't mean ****. Ridley confirmed.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Conlusion? Canon sizes don't mean ****. Ridley confirmed.

I don't think the size excuse will be present in Smash 4. Even if Ridley appears as a stage hazard in the PYRosphere, there's still the fact that characters appearing in the foreground and background has happened... Like in Smash 4 with Toon Link and Marvel VS Capcom 3 with Tron Bonne.

And on canon sizes, let's take a look at Bowser, who has appeared in sizes ranging from small, to well, planet sized.

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't think the size excuse will be present in Smash 4. Even if Ridley appears as a stage hazard in the Biosphere, there's still the fact that characters appearing in the foreground and background has happened... Like in Smash 4 with Toon Link and Marvel VS Capcom 3 with Tron Bonne.

And on canon sizes, let's take a look at Bowser, who has appeared in sizes ranging from small, to well, planet sized.
Of COURSE the size excuse is total bull. But you can bet that if Ridley is a stage hazard and not playable, they will say it's the reason.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
It was a joke you know. But Roy is really a big example of favoritism and bias on Smashboards, shown by the fact that you all took my joke seriously.
Not to sure about the favorite part since a majority of people still would put Chrom, Lucina, Anna or Robin over him and as for bias well since we all don't like the same characters and some of our favorite characters have to compete with each other (Dixie/King K. Rool or Roy/Chrom) bias is bound to happen.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I don't think the size excuse will be present in Smash 4. Even if Ridley appears as a stage hazard in the Biosphere, there's still the fact that characters appearing in the foreground and background has happened... Like in Smash 4 with Toon Link and Marvel VS Capcom 3 with Tron Bonne.

It's pyrosphere not biosphere :b
I personally think that the problem with Ridley is not his size,is his lack of fanbase in Japan, the fact that his character model will be difficult to make and the concept of Ridley that Sakurai have,maybe Sakurai thinks that Ridley is only boss material.

?????????????

Smash Master
It's pyrosphere not biosphere :b
I personally think that the problem with Ridley is not his size,is his lack of fanbase in Japan, the fact that his character model will be difficult to make and the concept of Ridley that Sakurai have,I think Sakurai thinks that Ridley is only boss material.
It ultimately comes down to whether or not Sakurai think the character is worth the effort, and that comes down to, I think, fan demand. Totally guessing, but I believe he is at least aware of the Ridley fanbase in general, given his statement that he gets "character requests from all over the world." So it's possible. I sure hope Ridley becomes a playable character, but I'm not expecting it, nor do I think it's out of the question.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
It ultimately comes down to whether or not Sakurai think the character is worth the effort, and that comes down to, I think, fan demand. Totally guessing, but I believe he is at least aware of the Ridley fanbase in general, given his statement that he gets "character requests from all over the world." So it's possible. I sure hope Ridley becomes a playable character, but I'm not expecting it, nor do I think it's out of the question.
The Fanbases for characters are a factor, but it mostly comes down to Sakurai's decision. The thing is that for some characters, like Palutena, Bandana Dee, and Ridley, the fanbases have mixed receptions.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Is it just me, or is this thing not letting me quote posts?
@Xenoblaze
But you gotta eat something besides Margarine (Marth) and Mike + Ike (Ike) eventually. It's not healthy eating the same thing over and over again! :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
While I'm on the tangent again.
On that note, Lucina/Marth's animations are different from Chrom's. Just pointing that out ;)
Doesn't really mean much, considering different rules are being used between Super Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem. Having different animations won't really help considering the big picture is that Chrom is just a revision of concepts we've already gotten.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Ridley's not too big, he's too slow!:laugh:

Nah, just kidding.

Not to sure about the favorite part since a majority of people still would put Chrom, Lucina, Anna or Robin over him and as for bias well since we all don't like the same characters and some of our favorite characters have to compete with each other (Dixie/King K. Rool or Roy/Chrom) bias is bound to happen.
You say that, and yet Chrom is easily the most hated newcomer contender around here. Which makes his placement in shortie's poll all the weirder.

I'm not going to stomach Corn like those ****ers at GameFAQs if that's what you're saying.
GameFAQs love Chrom? Didn't he just get a 41.72% in want for Rate their Chances over there?

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Ridley's not too big, he's too slow!:laugh:

Nah, just kidding.

You say that, and yet Chrom is easily the most hated newcomer contender around here. Which makes his placement in shortie's poll all the weirder.
Even if Chrom is the most hated it isn't all because people would prefer Roy, there are some who hate Roy and Chrom or would rather have someone like Lucina or Robin get in over Chrom. At the end of the day though if I was a Chrom supporter I would know no matter how much people think he would be a boring pick he still has the best chances for the 3rd FE spot (If there is one of course.)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey, if we are talking alt costumes, I'll my hat in again and say that Toon Link should get the Outset costume. Oh, and maybe PED suit Samus. Though as far as we know, only gender neutral characters could get them anyway. Still expect the devs to show female Villager at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom