• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Actually, I'm not sure if that isn't just the translator poking fun (much like the "Real Men Use Items" thing).
The original Japanese page seems to be saying something completely different, but I can't make it out in proper context.
It'd be nice to see the original Japanese captions, since there were more than just that in English...something to the tune of "What are you putting it away for?? Use it!" as well.

It would make sense that Nate Bihldorff references a running topic of fanbase conversation on the U.S. website, given that he made a post on NeoGAF after Brawl's release all but admitting to lurking Smashboards and NeoGAF's boards.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just wondering...
Does anyone here actually think recency helps significantly with including a character?
I mean, I sort of do. Cuts don't have to happen based on recency, but some characters like Lucario are included as advertisements. Lucario is important enough to stay though.

PS: I brought this up because of the Chrom discussions going on around Smashboards.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just wondering...
Does anyone here actually think recency helps significantly with including a character?
I mean, I sort of do. Cuts don't have to happen based on recency, but some characters like Lucario are included as advertisements. Lucario is important enough to stay though.

PS: I brought this up because of the Chrom discussions going on around Smashboards.
I think that, to some degree, having consistent new appearances can boost the overall importance or popularity of a character who previously may not have had much of either. However, there reaches a point where a character is already deep enough into all-star territory and the hearts of fans that new appearances, or an absence of them, stop being all that significant; Toad is a decent example of the former, while K. Rool is an example of the latter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just wondering...

I believe this is a topic a lot of us wish for Sakurai to answer himself. Like probably THE question we'd like answered. It'd settle a lot of stupid debates.

?????????????

Smash Master
Just wondering...

Oh, most definitely. Roy is a prime example.

It's not necessarily the reason, but it is definitely a reason. There are definitely characters where a motivation to adding the character is promotion for a new or upcoming game, or because the character is from a recent/newest game in a series. This could be coined as "recency" or "relevancy."

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Just wondering...

I think it depends on the series, for some series' always have continuously new characters added (Like Pokemon and Fire Emblem) while some are continuously going on with the same characters (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) Recency in series' with continuously going on series' with the same characters is not that big a deal, as if the character has had a large impact on the series overall and not recently, the impact/importance of the character is still there, King K.Rool is an example of this. As for the games with consistent new characters, it is important as the characters need to represent what's currently going on in the gaming series, thankfully all the pokemon wanted (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo and Lucario) are ALL important to the game in recency and the main characters of Fire Emblem wanted for this Smash game are also currently recent thanks to the DLC of Awakening.

D

Deleted member

It'd be nice to see the original Japanese captions, since there were more than just that in English...something to the tune of "What are you putting it away for?? Use it!" as well.

It would make sense that Nate Bihldorff references a running topic of fanbase conversation on the U.S. website, given that he made a post on NeoGAF after Brawl's release all but admitting to lurking Smashboards and NeoGAF's boards.
使えよ!!
ここ、つっこみどころです。

It says "Use it!" followed by either a statement that the sword is not going to be used or a direct insult at Ganondorf's common sense (as opposed to poking fun by saying people make fun of him).

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I knew Marth was going to be revealed anytime soon. And he doesn't look as marginally girly as before! I like how it actually resembles his in-game look now.

So, do you guys think Marth could become a starter this time?

Espio264

Smash Ace
Here is my typical "think about it" post.

So far, we've seen 15 veterans (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Link, Toon Link, DK, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Pit, Olimar, Sonic, and now Marth)

There are 35 veteran characters in all if we're basing this off of Brawl's roster slots. So essentially, we have 20 slots left. Considering we have no diea when the game will be out, let's give it a hypothetical date of November 2014. That's 12 months to reveal anywhere from 20 to 22ish characters (counting Sheik and ZSS as seperate). I would assume that Pokemon Trainer would be shown with all three of his Pokemon, so we won't count all three.

If Sakurai intends to cover all of them, then there is going to have to be some months where we get two, and then some where we get one reveal. However, at the current moment, i'm too lazy to do the math to find the ratio.
You're onto the right mindset of thinking, but there's no way that absolutely no other newcomers will be revealed before release. I'd say at the very least, (and this would genuinely suck), we'll get 6 more newcomers. Also I believe (also would suck) that 4 cuts from Brawl seems to be the max amount. So that's at the very least, 24 more characters to be revealed. We'll beef that number up with Mewtwo and another newcomer no one expects to 26. That's a new reveal once every 2 weeks.

But say he saves at least 10 characters as hidden spots for release, it still works with the once a month pattern with a couple of surprises thrown in. And this is what I feel is the very least that makes sense.

I'm starting to come around to the game being released later than I would generally think, but I still think a year is a bit much. So squash the above theory together a little and a likely reveal pattern begins to fill out.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So guys, I was doing some research and stuff and found that Roy is one of the most requested characters for Smash 4 in Japan.
What do you guys think are his chances?
I still think Chrom's chance is very big, and Ike is very popular and would cause a lot of anger in the Smash community (basically Roy all over again, only possibly worse).
And 4 Fire Emblem characters will not happen before DK or Kirby imo.
So I don't really know what to think. Plus I don't play a lot of FE, so some FE guys here might be able to break it down for me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So guys, I was doing some research and stuff and found that Roy is one of the most requested characters for Smash 4 in Japan.
I still think Chrom's chance is very big, and Ike is very popular and would cause a lot of anger in the Smash community (basically Roy all over again, only possibly worse).
So I don't really know what to think. Plus I don't play a lot of FE, so some FE guys here might be able to break it down for me.
Because Ike was prioritized over Roy for Brawl, it should be safe to assume that Roy will only get in if Ike gets in.

I don't want either Roy or Chrom in if it means Ike has to be cut.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeah that's the main jist-of-it, too early for four, Ike, Chrom, and Roy fighting for the 2nd and 3rd slot. Plus the, unlikely, but vocal characters like Lucina, Anna, Robin, Lyn trying to get up there. Then everyone else in Fire Emblem that just very very likely won't happen.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So guys if we get 9 new characters added to the roster which one will be on your list.
Example:
1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) New Character
5)...9) New Character

My list will be:
1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Little Mac
5) Miis
6)Pac-Man
7) Takamaru
8) Ridley
9) King K. Rool

.n_n.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So guys if we get 9 new characters added to the roster which one will be on your list.
Like who I want or who I predict?
I'll do a mix of both.
1. Mega Man
2. Wii Fit Trainer
3. Villager
4. Little Mac
5. Palutena
6. K. Rool
7. Ridley
8. Takamaru
9. Paper Mario

Bold is edited.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Isaac
5) Palutena
6) K. Rool
7) Ridley
8) Toon Zelda/Tetra
9) Lyn
*Last 2 are wish others are prediction.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So the following list is going on:

1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Little Mac
5) King K. Rool
6) Ridley (4 votes)
7) Pac-Man, Takamaru, Mewtwo, Chrom, Palutena (2 votes)
8) Miis, Dixie, Paper Mario, Lip, Isaac, Toon Zelda (Tetra), Lyn (1 vote)

Edited; FireEmblemnier has been added.
.n_n.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I knew Marth was going to be revealed anytime soon. And he doesn't look as marginally girly as before! I like how it actually resembles his in-game look now.

So, do you guys think Marth could become a starter this time?

Yeah, I feel Marth is notable enough to warrant starter status. While we're at it, can Falcon be a starter again like in Melee? I feel he fits a starter position more than an unlock-able.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I was wondering why it was so quiet on here.
I have off of school today, but some other people here don't!
I was convinced it was a Saturday or something.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So the following list is going on (with 6 people for the moment):

1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Little Mac (6 votes)
5) King K. Rool (5 votes)
6) Ridley (4 votes)
7) Takamaru (3 votes)
8) Pac-Man, Mewtwo, Chrom, Palutena, Dixie (2 votes)
9) Miis, Paper Mario, Lip, Isaac, Toon Zelda (Tetra), Lyn, Bandana Dee, Bomberman, Bowser Jr. (1 vote)

.n_n.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Here you go:

1. Megaman
2. WFT
3. Villager
4. Little Mac
5. Ridley
6. Chrom
7. Palutena
8. Shulk
9. Toad

I think Mewtwo is extremely likely but don't consider him a newcomer.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So the following list is going on (with 6 people for the moment):

1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Little Mac (6 votes)
5) King K. Rool (5 votes)
6) Ridley (4 votes)
7) Takamaru (3 votes)
8) Pac-Man, Mewtwo, Chrom, Palutena, Dixie (2 votes)
9) Miis, Paper Mario, Lip, Isaac, Toon Zelda (Tetra), Lyn, Bandana Dee, Bomberman, Bowser Jr. (1 vote)

.n_n.
You can create a thread about this with a vote poll and things about popular character choices.
Does it exist?
If it exist,you can create an updated one.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Little Mac
5) Dixie Kong
6) Lucina
7) Isaac
8) Robin
9) Palutena

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

.n_n.

Confirmed

1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager

Unconfirmed

4) Little Mac
5) Ridley
6) Palutena
7) Isaac
8) Dixie
9) King K. Rool

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Example:
1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) New Character
5)...9) New Character

My list will be:
1) Mega Man
2) Wii Fit Trainer
3) Villager
4) Little Mac
5) Miis
6)Pac-Man
7) Takamaru
8) Ridley
9) King K. Rool

.n_n.

My want list:
  1. Mega Man
  2. Villager
  3. Wii Fit Trainer
  4. Victini
  5. Waluigi
  6. Silver the Hedgehog
  7. Tingle
  8. Yarn Kirby
  9. Lip
My prediction:
  1. Mega Man
  2. Villager
  3. Wii Fit Trainer
  4. Little Mac
  5. Pac-Man
  6. Mii
  7. Chrom
  8. Palutena
  9. Dark Samus

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we are getting only 9 newcomers, then at the very least, give me Toad. I expect Little Mac anyway and I am not too confident on Dixie Kong and Pac-Man and I have no hopes for Meowth or Duck Hunt Dog or anyone else I want... but Toad is my most-wanted character for SSB4. The Mario series is and always is my favorite game series and I want to have all of the "Mario Big Eight" playable in Smash...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
1. Megaman
2. Villager
3. Pac-Man
4. Wii Fit Trainer
5. Little Mac
6. Mii
7. Dr. Kawashima
8. Nintendog
9. Harry
(10. Palutena)
(11. K. Rool)
(12. Ridley)
(13. Takamaru)
(14. Shulk)
If only you said 10 newcomers ;-;

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Only Nine newcomers? Wow, sounds like a rough amount of choices. Well, my choices are:

1.) MegaMan
2.) Villager
3.) Wii Fit Trainer
4.) Ridley
5.) King K.Rool
6.) Little Mac
7.) Shulk
8.) Bowser Jr.
9.) Pac-Man
10.) (It has to be put in) Takamaru
This doesn't include Mewtwo (or Possibly Roy as well) for returning veterans

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
1. Mega Man
2. Villager
3. Wii Fit Trainer
4. K.Rool
5. Ridley
6. Shulk
7. Palutena
8. Little Mac
9. Pac-Man
(10.) Takamaru

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. Villager
2. Mega Man
3. Wii Fit Trainer

4. Ridley
5. King K. Rool
6. Palutena
7. Little Mac
8. Mii
9. Pac-Man

More of a prediction than what I want, though I'd certainly be satisfied with this too. I actually only expect ~10 newcomers, so fill the last spot with Chrom if we're going 10.

DARKKNIGHT9

Smash Rookie
Unconfirmed predictions
Dixie and diddy(replaces ice climbers, Can switch between the two on the fly, the one your not controlling will be ai like nana)
baby mario riding on yoshi(different moveset)
Tails or knuckles (one of the two)
dedede
paper mario (replaces game & watch)
Rayman
king k rool
pokemon with mega evolution( blazeikin maybe)
Pokemon trainer with 3 new starter pokemon

Characters I want but probably wont get
Ridlely
Shadowmario/baby bowser(irreleveant at this point)
krystal from star fox

Characters that probably won't return from brawl
Lucario
R.O.B.
Ness
lucas
wolf
snake
g&w
Ice climbers
captain falcon
jiggly puff