• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom
Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom

Nintendo GameCube

Wii

Game Boy

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

Nintendo DS

Nintendo 3DS

Heh. Wow.
That's pretty crazy actually.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'll summarize:

Ice Climbers-Because technical issues.
Wolf-In favor of Krystal.
Lucario-Not relevant anymore.
Pokemon Trainer-To be replaced by a new trainer that uses the Kalos starters.
Lucas-Not relevant anymore.
Snake-Because MGS5 won't be on Nintendo.
Well, never let it be said that Shokio has any form of intelligence. I mean seriously, Lucario not relevant? DO YOU EVEN X AND Y?! And seriously...I'm watching it right now since I'm a glutton for punishment, and my God...he can't even get the damn thing's typing right, being "The next big psychic type". Also, his reasons for Ganondorf would work the exact same for Ice Climbers, his reasoning for cutting Wolf for Krystal is "This is what I want", the reason against Snake is almost as bad as his turtle argument, and my God...my God...does he know nothing about the Mother franchise?

And seriously...that like/dislike count makes me want to cry...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'll summarize:

Well in my response to that guy.

Ice Climbers - We still have Olimar, can't be that big of a deal to add them.

Wolf - Wolf has a bigger impact on the series as a whole, but still somewhat possible, given the request. If anything, we could just get a forth Star-fox character and leave it at that.

Lucario - He's one of the most popular Pokemon that isn't a Starter, an Eevee, or Pikachu. Which is saying alot for over 700 of the things.

Pokemon Trainer - Slightly possible. But We didn't have Gen 4 starters in Brawl. And if relevance was that big of an issue now it won't matter, Kanto starters are in X and Y anyway.

Lucas - Was he even "that" relevant when added to Brawl? Ness was going to get cut from Melee but ends up staying in Melee and Brawl, despite relevance. The two are different enough to both stay.

Snake - Didn't stop him from being added to Brawl with MGS4 being relevant at the time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, never let it be said that Shokio has any form of intelligence. I mean seriously, Lucario not relevant? DO YOU EVEN X AND Y?! And seriously...I'm watching it right now since I'm a glutton for punishment, and my God...he can't even get the damn thing's typing right, being "The next big psychic type". Also, his reasons for Ganondorf would work the exact same for Ice Climbers, his reasoning for cutting Wolf for Krystal is "This is what I want", the reason against Snake is almost as bad as his turtle argument, and my God...my God...does he know nothing about the Mother franchise?
Welcome to Youtube, the butt of all forms of speculation.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Also we can thank the fact that Meta-Knight and Dedede were created by Sakurai, they probably wouldn't have returned if it wasn't for that.
And he was still on about his grudge for Dedede, I'm surprised he wasn't bashing Sonic's return since he wanted him out too. People look up to this guy WHY? Goddammit Google...of all days, of all times, WHY did it have to be NOW that you do this?! I have the craving to tear every single piece of his arguments apart, but I can't.......

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Really?
I'm a cartoon guy, anime isn't really up my alley.

Well, think of it like this, cartoons and anime are pretty much the same thing, just from different countries. Though I get your point. I'm not really into anime like I was when I was a little younger. I still like some stuff though. I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan actually. And I always liked western animation as well.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I'll summarize:

MemeCenter_1383408865567_684.jpg

that's only just for wolf, Krystal (a brand new side character) will not be replaced by wolf (fox's eternal rival, been here since second game) that logic just is similar as in replacing bowser with fawful
Lucario not relevant anymore? you should check out some Pokémon X&Y pictures (I don't own the game, yet I seen a heck hole of them) lucario has been given a very important role in the game (or at least a figure)
Red getting replaced? that would be a waste of time, what would be the purpose of replacing three time consumers who already have data, then starting all over just to have different starters, that are too recent to have an effect, the only way red is not getting back in is if he is cut! not replaced.
just because a character is not relevant anymore, does not mean they are cut! should we start cutting Mr. G&W, or ness, Captain Falcon? they aren't really relevant anymore too are they, yet they are shoe ins to everybody.
Snake hardly had any games to begin with (what like two, one on the nes and GameCube?) just because another one is not, doesn't mean he isn't coming back, that's for the company to deicide,
the only one I'm willing to give you is ice climbers, mainly because that's the only one with logic behind it, but even Olimar got in and he had a similar problem, so there is actually good chance they won't get cut

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
And he was still on about his grudge for Dedede, I'm surprised he wasn't bashing Sonic's return since he wanted him out too. People look up to this guy WHY? Goddammit Google...of all days, of all times, WHY did it have to be NOW that you do this?! I have the craving to tear every single piece of his arguments apart, but I can't.......
This is the answer to all your problems.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Did you see his new video on characters who are likely to be cut?
I'd rather not give it an additional view, but I'm guessing Dedede's name came up because of Shokio conflating his personal dislikes with the likely outcomes of any given situation.

Fighting back my kneejerk urge to shun even the thought of Goku being playable, I could envision the scenario where he gets added to a future Smash game because, by the time Smash 6 comes out, the series may be sitting right on that Mario Kart/Party line of diminishing returns, in need of something fresh for revitalization. Assuming the series remains in Sakurai's hands (which isn't guaranteed), he may view the addition of Goku as the next 'line in the sand' he believes must be drawn and passed with gimmicks for a new Smash title to be warranted.

That said, I really, really would not like the idea, because Goku would turn the forums into a madhouse of new users scrambling to support whoever their favorite unimportant anime character may be (basically, today's third party discussion with anime characters; it would even be worse than Snake's reveal, since at least there was still Sonic to stem the bleeding, so to speak). What's more, the handful of users here who overthink themselves deriving patterns from the addition of single characters (*cough* WFT *cough*) would assume that, one, because Goku's in, Sakurai is "looking for more anime characters" to add, and/or two, that because Goku's in, it's the logical next step to start looking for, say, normal cartoon characters, or even real-life humans. I'll likely have moved on from the speculation scene by then, so it wouldn't affect me much, but I'd hate to come back for a brief lurking session and see the forum I used to love devolved to that degree.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'll summarize:

I... I got nothing, I honestly don't understand any of the reasonings given for removing these characters...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Obviously, to be a character initially planned for the roster, he didn't have enough merits to get in. Sure he was popular and iconic, but his similarities towards Pikachu rebounded and made Sakurai pass on him.

By the time we got clones, it was the perfect opportunity to add Pichu. His already-stated popularity was there, and he was similar to Pikachu to be a clone of him.

His merits didn't get him in as his own "deeply thought-out", well-considered fighter, like the 20 Sakurai thought out. His merits got him into the game as a clone. By "own" fighter, I meant being part of those original 20 characters. They weren't to beef up the roster, Pichu and the others were. I could have worded it better though.
I better way to word it is "The merits he had were not enough in Sakurai's opinion due to other circumstances." not "Pichu has no merits". Pichu has several merits. Whether Sakurai sees them as enough to put him in in what was originally planned to be a much smaller roster or not doesn't make what Pichu has done to deserve inclusion in a Smash game just magically disappear. Bomberman has several merits to his inclusion, but just because they don't get him in based on unfortunate circumstances doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm in, so long as it doesn't devolve into the rest of the thread telling Noah why, no, playing baseball does not make a sidekick more important than a franchise villain.
Dixie is deserving for playing Baseball? I was going more along the lines of more appearances in Nintendo and appearing in more than just the mainstream Donkey Kong series. These are 2 things King K. Rool has not shown much of.

They've both done different things and have different reasons for inclusions. That example only adds to it. It's still incredibly debatable which one will get them in over the other. We can't really confirm that King K. Rool commonly being the main villian is more priority than say, being an iconic Kong as well as the third of our main hero trio, representing the series in spin-off titles, the planned appearance in Brawl, Tropical Freeze which could potentially prioritize her higher IF both were planned in the roster, Japanese fan requests and reception to characters. There is so much to take into consideration, there is also the belief that Dixie would be a much smaller model that shares a few moves with Diddy and would have a move set easier to come up with than King K. Rool, thus making her potentially easier to come up with. For all we know Sakurai might add Dixie because of his own belief that it's just a better choice with benefits unrelated to what we consider benefits of King K. Rool

It's likely both are planned, but unlikely both will prevail.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well on topic another large view of pyrosphere and no ridley its looking like at this point ridley is not a hazard so ridley might be back on top for predictions

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Can we stop it with the PyroSphere = Ridley? PLZ!

King K. Rool has so much potential, MANY movesets could be made for him.
Dixie Kong is hard to make a UNIQUE moveset for, but she'd be an easy semi-clone plus hair-copter.
King K. Rool has a unique move set. That's why it might take more time to execute it correctly than to clone Diddy's Specials and just make generic hair related Smash attacks.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Guys did you know that if we ever receive (God hope not) an Anime Character it will be Luffy from One Piece right?
.n_n.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd rather not give it an additional view, but I'm guessing Dedede's name came up because of Shokio conflating his personal dislikes with the likely outcomes of any given situation.

Fighting back my kneejerk urge to shun even the thought of Goku being playable, I could envision the scenario where he gets added to a future Smash game because, by the time Smash 6 comes out, the series may be sitting right on that Mario Kart/Party line of diminishing returns, in need of something fresh for revitalization. Assuming the series remains in Sakurai's hands (which isn't guaranteed), he may view the addition of Goku as the next 'line in the sand' he believes must be drawn and passed with gimmicks for a new Smash title to be warranted.

That said, I really, really would not like the idea, because Goku would turn the forums into a madhouse of new users scrambling to support whoever their favorite unimportant anime character may be (basically, today's third party discussion with anime characters; it would even be worse than Snake's reveal, since at least there was still Sonic to stem the bleeding, so to speak). What's more, the handful of users here who overthink themselves deriving patterns from the addition of single characters (*cough* WFT *cough*) would assume that, one, because Goku's in, Sakurai is "looking for more anime characters" to add, and/or two, that because Goku's in, it's the logical next step to start looking for, say, normal cartoon characters, or even real-life humans. I'll likely have moved on from the speculation scene by then, so it wouldn't affect me much, but I'd hate to come back for a brief lurking session and see the forum I used to love devolved to that degree.

I honestly agree with you. As much as I like certain characters like Goku, Gohan, Spider-Man and Batman, they shouldn't be in Smash for various reasons. Hell, if they were added, that'd only fuel people to request people like Luffy, Wolverine, Naruto and Mickey Mouse. Though I have nothing against those characters by any means. But they'd take away from what makes Smash great in the first place.

Point is, save it for fan games and stuff, it works much better that way.

You know what would be worse? If they added a second Sonic character. This thread and a hundred others will filled with countless bickering about how X should get over Y, and how Z should get over both of them.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
My response to likes from specific users

MorbidAltruism: Oh, brother!
Louie G.: This guy reads REALLY fast!
DaUserName: Does this guy just creepily watch the thread and like stuff. Why is just watching us? :(

?????????????

Smash Master
I think everyone here from Youtube is okay, as the only people I see here is you, me, HotFeet, and some of my Youtube speculation friends.
I also do like some of the other dudes I did LagFest with, like Mr. Game&Pichu and TaleoftheToaster. They're pretty funny. Oh, and LordJackal of course.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
considering it's pretty obvious Ridley isn't a stage hazard.
That's funny. Because I don't find that obvious in the slightest! I find that to be a very unfitting term to use especially considering it's so very possible he IS a stage hazard. That seems like a much more understandable interpretation of his comment than to assume he's just ****ing with Americans. That and the many holes that are likely made for Ridley to use if he was a stage hazard.

?????????????

Smash Master
that's only just for wolf, Krystal (a brand new side character) will not be replaced by wolf (fox's eternal rival, been here since second game) that logic just is similar as in replacing bowser with fawful
Lucario not relevant anymore? you should check out some Pokémon X&Y pictures (I don't own the game, yet I seen a heck hole of them) lucario has been given a very important role in the game (or at least a figure)
Red getting replaced? that would be a waste of time, what would be the purpose of replacing three time consumers who already have data, then starting all over just to have different starters, that are too recent to have an effect, the only way red is not getting back in is if he is cut! not replaced.
just because a character is not relevant anymore, does not mean they are cut! should we start cutting Mr. G&W, or ness, Captain Falcon? they aren't really relevant anymore too are they, yet they are shoe ins to everybody.
Snake hardly had any games to begin with (what like two, one on the nes and GameCube?) just because another one is not, doesn't mean he isn't coming back, that's for the company to deicide,
the only one I'm willing to give you is ice climbers, mainly because that's the only one with logic behind it, but even Olimar got in and he had a similar problem, so there is actually good chance they won't get cut
I pretty much argued against every point he made. None of them are clear cuts, let alone likely cuts.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I also do like some of the other dudes I did LagFest with, like Mr. Game&Pichu and TaleoftheToaster. They're pretty funny. Oh, and LordJackal of course.
Oh, BUT THESE GUYS!!!!!
These F*CKING guys! :mad:

I pretty much argued against every point he made. None of them are clear cuts, let alone likely cuts.
Oh, well **** the new Anime about Red and the fact that the Brawl starter Pokemon are starters in X & Y!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
By that logic, no original newcomer would be prioritized over a clonier counterpart. Dixie being cloney is a boon in terms of her getting attention for that role, not for edging out an original, more wanted, and more important character. Yes, more important, because appearing in a trio of sports games that still only put her appearance count one higher than K. Rool's does not equate to those throwaway appearances contributing more to her overall stardom than K. Rool's main villain appearances do to his. Sakurai is, of course, a wild card in the equation, but we've always known this, and that affects all characters, not just these two.

What I'm currently seeing is a big blue block of begging the question, claiming that it's a given K. Rool and Dixie are in competition, and that, like BluePikmin insinuated earlier, Sakurai is measuring one's worth against the other on a sliding scale. Unless you're trying to rate them both as individuals, then comparing their individual likelihoods, there's no reason to assume the two dissimilar characters are in competition for the same role in-game solely because of their icon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That's funny. Because I don't find that obvious in the slightest! I find that to be a very unfitting term to use especially considering it's so very possible he IS a stage hazard. That seems like a much more understandable interpretation of his comment than to assume he's just ****ing with Americans. That and the many holes that are likely made for Ridley to use if he was a stage hazard.
Then there is an abnormal amount of hesitance to reveal a mere stage hazard. You'd think for a stage hazard they would reveal the big gimmick of a stage ASAP, but that's clearly not the case.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Of course, we aren't the only ones, what I did see of Mr.G&P and TaleoftheToaster I liked, and LordJackal did teach me some of the basics of Smash speculation. Then there's Stelios and Narutendo, DS, BongoBuddy, Mr.Bill, and BlazingToads64.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
People think he knows what he's talking about, because he acts like he knows what he's talking about, also a lot of people think recency is what's most important.

?????????????

Smash Master
Wouldn't know, don't even know you.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHmEgg9ci_8Br8-3_dfCw2qTzLsjpl_HF

...Shameless self plug? :chuckle:

I started making video about SSB4 ideas in...2009? So my thoughts have changed a lot over the years, what with reconsiderations, new games, and conversations with others.

I DEFINITELY don't agree with everything I said 4 years ago. I don't even agree with some stuff I've said 4 months ago.

This playlist is just my newest ideas...which, even these, have edits throughout and at the end. But I think, if nothing else, it's pretty well-organized and puts lots of ideas into consideration.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You know which Pokemon needs more popularity? Stoutland! He's easily the best Normal type in existence. Seriously, he was pretty damn useful in Black and White, a good jack of all trades. Whenever I get Pokemon Y, I'm breeding one for the team I'm planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom