• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
@BluePikmin11

You keep liking my posts, are you trying to make up for the lack of MorbidAltruism?

...because its working :D

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Yay Google for being a jack ass once more and angering me to the point where I recreate my account altogether. I'll just lay in quiet until I feel like uploading consistently. Anyhow, topic?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey guys, just something I threw together based on a few rumors and such.
I present to you, Melee without clones.
View attachment 4050
Any questions I will be sure to answer.
I'd be fine with this roster for Melee. It adds Dedede one game early, and it all but guarantees we get Mewtwo back, along with unique Ganondorf and either unique Falco or unique Wolf in Brawl. Those who enjoy the clones may disagree, and Sakurai certainly did, but I don't think there's an objectively correct answer to the question of which approach would have been better.

How much of an effect do you think Tropical Freeze had on Smash Development?
Negligible. Dixie was already a solid choice for a last-minute semi-clone without the game (evidenced by her seemingly ending up in this role after having been cut from her duo in Brawl, according to Golden's data), and Tropical Freeze all but solidifies that this is the role she'd play in Smash, given that's she's now "vertical-boosting Diddy." What's more, given how, if Sakurai were to know about the game, he'd know about it at its very earliest phases of development (when he was already deciding characters), so his knowledge of Dixie would likely cap off at the tidbit that "Dixie appears in this game," rather than anything regarding how important she ends up in-game, or how fans end up receiving her reappearance. In terms of K. Rool, he was already either going to be in Smash as an original character or out of it entirely, based largely on Sakurai's perception of him. He passed the threshold of being a sufficiently worthy character a long time ago, and it's just a matter of him getting the nod this time...his support skyrocketing since Brawl's release can't hurt in that regard.

Other than characters, I think DKCR will get the nod in terms of stages, given that it's undeniably the more major game, covering both the Wii and 3DS to boot. There are also highly iconic locations in DKCR in comparison to what we've seen of Tropical Freeze, namely Sunset Shore and Jungle Hijinx. There may be a smattering of trophies and/or stickers from Tropical Freeze, but far more enticing would be the possibility of having some David Wise-composed music in Smash at long last, since many of the more modern songs are just direct game rips and music is quite possibly the easiest thing they could add to the game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Probably made Sakurai lean more towards Dixie Kong.
WELLLLLLLLLL...
The roster was likely decided before hand.
He wouldn't just put a highly requested character like K. Rool to the side and replace him with a semi-clone of Diddy Kong.
That's why I think both have a really good shot. K. Rool as the highly requested one, and Dixie as the Wolf-type last minute clone.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't now much but I believe its something to do with DK
DK huh? K. Rool is the established main villain of the franchise. Therefor, it is my personal belief that he is more deserving than another sidekick.

What do you mean you have to recreate your account? It just won't let me comment anymore.
Went to link to Google + to be done with that bull****. I then decided to just restart and never have to deal with it ever again. I'll just lay in wait 'till I decide to upload with some sort of consistency.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
I would be okay with Dixie getting in as a semi clone of Diddy, provided K Rool was in as well. Theyre both the same species of monkey, (I think) and theres also alot of room for Dixie to be Luigified enough that it works.

K Rool or bust

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Probably made Sakurai lean more towards Dixie Kong.
Thing is, Sakurai isn't balancing out totally dissimilar characters on a scale. Louie hit the nail on the head in terms of why they'd be added, and why that bodes well for them being added simultaneously.

I wanna talk DK.
Have a civilized K. Rool vs Dixie debate, those are always fun.
I'm in, so long as it doesn't devolve into the rest of the thread telling Noah why, no, playing baseball does not make a sidekick more important than a franchise villain.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't care if Dixie is a Wolf-type semi-clone of Diddy Kong... just as long as she can float with her hair when you hold down the jump button like you already do with Peach. Dixie's ability to float would give her a drastically different playstyle apart Diddy even if they might or might not have the same specials. Dixie Kong's ability to float is one of the reasons why I loved DKC2 and DKC3.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think DKCRTF will affect anything other than priority when it comes to characters.

What I mean by this is that if Dixie is seen as an expendable character before hand, she may be moved up a notch due to TF.

That make sense?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well, I'm royally pissed at Google now. Can't even just restart because the channel is still there, but without an account to access it with!

Oh well. I'll just open a new one later. Annoying, though.

*sigh* sorry for being off topic. Just mad.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
This whole deal with Google is certainly a giant "What the ****?!", and I hope they actually fix this in the future unlike every other update done to the site. Oh well, at least my inbox isn't flooded with "Ridley is TOO BIG!" and "I want Shadow the Hedgehog and Goku! Thumbs up if you agree!" These are real comments I've got, not made-up mockery...you may facepalm now.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
This whole deal with Google is certainly a giant "What the ****?!", and I hope they actually fix this in the future unlike every other update done to the site. Oh well, at least my inbox isn't flooded with "Ridley is TOO BIG!" and "I want Shadow the Hedgehog and Goku! Thumbs up if you agree!" These are real comments I've got, not made-up mockery...you may facepalm now.
I actually do want to see Shadow and Goku. But unlike most Smash Youtuber's I'm know that they are almost impossible to make it in. On my Goku moveset I made a while back ago, there were plenty of people who said that he deserves a spot in and I just try my best to ignore them.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think I shall be going to bed.

I predict yet another good picture for tomorrow (hopefully not the Pyrosphere again, but still). Expecting Kirby tomorrow!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I actually do want to see Shadow and Goku. But unlike most Smash Youtuber's I'm know that they are almost impossible to make it in. On my Goku moveset I made a while back ago, there were plenty of people who said that he deserves a spot in and I just try my best to ignore them.
You're dead to me.

?????????????

Smash Master
...I honestly would not mind Goku in SSB one bit.

I don't think it will happen, certainly not now or not yet, but I think that kind of character "could be" a possibility in the future.

I kinda scraped on this in a video, but unlike characters like Master Chief or Steve, promoting non-video game based character could still be beneficial if the character has games on Nintendo consoles.

Sure, it would break the rule of character originating from video games, but Snake and Sonic also broke the mold that only Nintendo made characters could be in Smash Bros. This could be the next step.

I think Goku makes a lot of sense for this. Dragon Ball games have a pretty good history with Nintendo, and there are still new Dragon Ball games to this day, so Goku could still "theoretically" be called a Nintendo character/all-star in the same vein as Snake and Sonic. An anime character in general would make sense to "break this mold" too because...y'know...Japan.

...But I certainly don't think it's in the cards at the current moment. Just a theoretical possibility for the future.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

I don't think it will happen, certainly not now or not yet, but I think that kind of character "could be" a possibility in the future.

I kinda scraped on this in a video, but unlike characters like Master Chief or Steve, promoting non-video game based character could still be beneficial if the character has games on Nintendo consoles.

Sure, it would break the rule of character originating from video games, but Snake and Sonic also broke the mold that only Nintendo made characters could be in Smash Bros. This could be the next step.

I think Goku makes a lot of sense for this. Dragon Ball games have a pretty good history with Nintendo, and there are still new Dragon Ball games to this day, so Goku could still "theoretically" be called a Nintendo character/all-star in the same vein as Snake and Sonic. An anime character in general would make sense to "break this mold" too because...y'know...Japan.

...But I certainly don't think it's in the cards at the current moment. Just a theoretical possibility for the future.
Maybe it will happen in Smash 17.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

That shall be the day I die of joy.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
As soon as I said that comment I now have five comments, and three of them are regarding stupid Ridley arguments and Shokio fanboys! AND I CAN'T DELETE IT!

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
As soon as I said that comment I now have five comments, and three of them are regarding stupid Ridley arguments and Shokio fanboys! AND I CAN'T DELETE IT!
Don't you know? Ridley's not a turtle, so he can't be in. :troll:

Did you see his new video on characters who are likely to be cut?
Every character that isn't relevant will get cut unless they're a staple.

?????????????

Smash Master
Don't you know? Ridley's not a turtle, so he can't be in. :troll:
Dragon anatomy dictates that you must be large. Unless you're Spyro. Or Mushu. Or Charizard. Or any number of examples of small dragons in media.

I never realized that the anatomy of a fictional animal was so important to consider. :troll:

Every character that isn't relevant will get cut unless they're a staple.
Not exactly, because Ice Climbers will also get cut due to technical difficulties :rolleyes:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Goku could still "theoretically" be called a Nintendo character/all-star in the same vein as Snake and Sonic.
Whoa whoa whoa.
I see what you mean, but Sonic's importance goes FAR beyond that of Snake and Goku COMBINED along with a few other 3rd Parties thrown in.
Sonic has a gigantic history with Nintendo, as Mario's main rival and repping the 16 bit wars, not to mention Sega and Nintendo being best buds now.
Snake has had what, 3 Nintendo games? Goku also?
Now I know what you meant, but to compare even SNAKE to Sonic is not right, let alone GOKU.

?????????????

Smash Master
Something tells me I'm thankful I haven't...and I'm even more unwilling to watch it as I can't bash it into the ground thanks to this update.
I'll summarize:

Ice Climbers-Because technical issues.
Wolf-In favor of Krystal.
Lucario-Not relevant anymore.
Pokemon Trainer-To be replaced by a new trainer that uses the Kalos starters.
Lucas-Not relevant anymore.
Snake-Because MGS5 won't be on Nintendo.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Dragon anatomy dictates that you must be large. Unless you're Spyro. Or Mushu. Or Charizard. Or any number of examples of small dragons in media.

I never realized that the anatomy of a fictional animal was so important to consider. :troll:
One thing I found funny about the turtle argument is that Bower's not even based on a turtle, koopas are based on kappas, which all are meant to be small. Kappa's don't come in all different shapes and sizes, so he should be cut, because it doesn't make any sense.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I went to my Video Manager, then used the sidebar to go to Inbox.

Apparently, comment notifications and personal messages will now be sent to Google+ instead.

Ugh, kinda annoying that that's the only way to enter the Youtube inbox.

Funny thing is, I can comment just fine with my youtube account. But when I try to look into a reply a new tab of the same exact window opens. I really don't get why Google wants to fuse Youtube and Google+ so much. I myself greatly prefer to keep them as different accounts. It seems like alot of updates are two steps forward and three steps back.

?????????????

Smash Master
Whoa whoa whoa.
I see what you mean, but Sonic's importance goes FAR beyond that of Snake and Goku COMBINED along with a few other 3rd Parties thrown in.
Sonic has a gigantic history with Nintendo, as Mario's main rival and repping the 16 bit wars, not to mention Sega and Nintendo being best buds now.
Snake has had what, 3 Nintendo games? Goku also?
Now I know what you meant, but to compare even SNAKE to Sonic is not right, let alone GOKU.
Sure. But if you want to compare Goku to Snake, Goku has had FAR more Nintendo games.

?????????????

Smash Master
Really?
I'm a cartoon guy, anime isn't really up my alley.

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom
Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Famicom
Nintendo GameCube
Wii
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS

There have been Dragon Ball games since NES days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom