• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's probably a new item. It's the Hocotate Spaceship from Pikmin that was scaled down to around Sonic's size. It's not a spaceship, it's really a bomb. If it "blasts off", it will come crashing down and explode. I like that idea. It makes sense as Olimar's ship always seems to crash...
Seems rather strange considering it's Olimar's entrance and Final Smash. There must be another explanation for this.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because they're different Toads.
That's not really a reason. I don't think he'd do that.

Exactly: The story layout and cutscenes would make editing the roster later on much more complicated. Without that burden, as the cutscenes, at the very least, are confirmed to not return, editing the roster mid-development would be much simpler. Maybe not as easy as it would be in Melee, but still much easier.
Sakurai never said the cutscenes were the only major reason.

For all we know, Sakurai plans on adding Toad, but adds him as the meat shield to keep it on the down-low.
Okay, now you're REALLY stretching it. There are limits to how far Sakurai will go, but wasting time on developing a model just so he can convince us something ISN'T in the game so he can later reveal that it IS in the game? Jesus! :urg:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Okay, now you're REALLY stretching it. There are limits to how far Sakurai will go, but wasting time on developing a model just so he can convince us something ISN'T in the game so he can later reveal that it IS in the game? Jesus! :urg:
Uh...

This would be a very easy texture change.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Sakurai never said the cutscenes were the only major reason.
Neither did I. I said "easier", not "effortless".

Toad's possible, logical or not. That's all I'm saying.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
That's true. Unless Sakurai is willing to waste development time, which I doubt, he wouldn't have done that. Unless he just transported Peach over and slightly modified her. Still, it is a bit of a stretch.

An easy change to Toadsworth seems plausible, but I don't find it likely.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Seeing how we were doing some Toad talk, I guess I'll give my own opinion of him.

Toad is the last of the original 5 Mario characters and the last of the 8 characters from Mario Kart 64 to not have appeared playable in Smash yet. He's been in almost every Mario game and usually gives Mario assistance whenever he needs it. He's even had his own game, Wario's Woods and is being shown as a playable character and has his own minigame in 3D World. He's also been given reoccurring roles in the New Super Mario Bros. games, beating out characters who could have been chosen over him such as Wario, Waluigi, and to an extent, Yoshi. As time goes on he seems to be gaining bigger roles, going from a person who tells you that "The Princess is in another castle" to an assistance helper giving you stars and power ups to becoming a fully playable character. He's also a very liked character, mostly receiving positive feedback and given some promotion along with the other Mario cast.

Playstyle-wise, he could be very unique character being a small, but strong and fast character. He could use both items as his attacks, such as the Poison Mushroom, along with Power-Ups, like the Propeller Hat. He could also have his own moves like Dig, which brings him under the ground and he quickly pops back up after a set amount of time, taking advantage of his quick digging skills.

As for the, he's Peach's attack argument, Sakurai already said that not everything is final, and with his Trollish ways, he could easily be trying to trick us again and he could quickly change Peach's Toad to a different color, which would hardly take anytime at all, and if he doesn't the Blue Toad is always a possibility, and using an argument against the Peach argument, I'll use another argument Anti-Toadians use, he's generic. So, it's obvious that the Anti-Toadians can't make up there mind making their argument even more invalid, especially when there is A toad and there is The Toad. As The Toad and the species have 2 different names in Japan.

That's my look on it at least.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If he actually does do this now, I think we can safely crown him the king of trolls.

There'd be no reason for it other than to **** with us. It'd be a waste of development time, and would only serve to irritate his fans, and from a game making point of view seems kinda stupid to go through the effort of making the Toad model just to pull the wool over our eyes.
That's coming from a huge Toad fan who genuinely thinks Toadsworth should of been the meat shield by this point considering his role as Peach's guardian has been cemented since Sunshine.

I don't think Toad Guard rules out Toad entirely yet, but it doesn't help his chances either.

Knowwuh

Smash Cadet

Seems rather strange considering it's Olimar's entrance and Final Smash. There must be another explanation for this.
With today’s screenshot, Sakurai said, "Is this a spaceship from Hocotate? No-this is a bomb SHAPED like a spaceship. After liftoff, it will drop down when you least expect it."

I guess it is possible it could be a revamped Final Smash for Olimar, but it seems more likely that it is an item.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Uh...
This would be a very easy texture change.
Explain the logic. Sakurai lists the roster before development. If Sakurai had Toad on the list, why would he make a Toad model let alone change it to Toadsworth afterwards? If he changed it to Toadsworth it would mean he didn't want Toad as a shield if he was going to be playable, which means if he wanted him playable he would have had him planned from the beginning, which means if he had him planned from the beginning and didn't want him as both a shield and a character then he wouldn't be a shield right now. Sakurai COULD have used Toadsworth, but he chose not to. Why do you think that is?

As for the, he's Peach's attack argument, Sakurai already said that not everything is final
Except the roster pre-development :troll:

and with his Trollish ways, he could easily be trying to trick us again
Again, not saying Toad isn't possible, but he's extremely unlikely and that statement you made right there is stretching it to the point of naive fanboyism. Sakurai won't waste time on a character model when he's on a time budget just so he can pretend to confirm something ISN'T in the game so he can later confirm that it IS in the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Recycling aspects of Super Smash Bros. into Kid Icarus: Uprising, then recycling aspects of Kid Icarus: Uprising into Super Smash Bros.

Expect more of this by the way.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Also, even though I'm not a big supporter of Toad, the Toon Link thing is a odd in his favor. Since oon link is represented as a character and is in a stage, it's somewhat similar.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Since oon link is represented as a character and is in a stage, it's somewhat similar.
A character being a 32-bit background of a stage and simply operating a train is similar someone being used as a human shield for another playable character? I disagree.

And who is Oon Link? Is he our fifth Zelda character? He better have hus owwn moovs :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, even though I'm not a big supporter of Toad, the Toon Link thing is a odd in his favor. Since oon link is represented as a character and is in a stage, it's somewhat similar.
I wouldn't exactly call it the same scenario. The main difference here is that Toon Link is already a veteran, so naturally by virtue had a better chance in being included. With Toad, the exact same situation we have already happened twice in the past, and as we know that was pretty much a "death" sentence.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Would the potentiality of codecs for the Kid Icarus series have any sort of maximal effect on the potentiality of codecs for the Metal Gear Solid series, if any at all (such as replacing one for the other)?

This is assuming, of course, Snake does indeed return as a veteran, as I and many others desire.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Would the potentiality of codecs for the Kid Icarus series have any sort of maximal effect on the potentiality of codecs for the Metal Gear Solid series, if any at all (such as replacing one for the other)?

This is assuming, of course, Snake does indeed return as a veteran, as I and many others desire.
If Snake doesn't return, I think Mega Man should have codecs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Snake doesn't return, I think Mega Man should have codecs.
With who?

Megaman isn't known for talking a whole lot...

Why not Starfox or Kid Icarus? Series that have a lot of talking in them?

Fortanono

Smash Ace
With who?

Megaman isn't known for talking a whole lot...

Why not Starfox or Kid Icarus? Series that have a lot of talking in them?
With Dr. Light. I think that, if pulled off right, it would be cool. But then again, you're right.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He isn't a silent protagonist and is perfectly capable of talking, but when it comes to dialog it's normally pretty bad.
Never said he wasn't a silent protagonist.

Just that he isn't known for talking a lot.

It'd be kinda like a Sonic codec. Something doesn't seem right about it.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Never said he wasn't a silent protagonist.

Just that he isn't known for talking a lot.

It'd be kinda like a Sonic codec. Something doesn't seem right about it.
Easy script for Sonic codecs:
Tails: Sonic, this is ____! He can-
Sonic: HE/SHE/IT'S TOO SLOW!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey,anyone remember that screams of the characters in Melee (and Project M) that sounds when you hit a character with high damage?
I miss that :c
It's hard to explain XD

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Explain the logic. Sakurai lists the roster before development. If Sakurai had Toad on the list, why would he make a Toad model let alone change it to Toadsworth afterwards? If he changed it to Toadsworth it would mean he didn't want Toad as a shield if he was going to be playable, which means if he wanted him playable he would have had him planned from the beginning, which means if he had him planned from the beginning and didn't want him as both a shield and a character then he wouldn't be a shield right now. Sakurai COULD have used Toadsworth, but he chose not to. Why do you think that is?

Except the roster pre-development :troll:

Again, not saying Toad isn't possible, but he's extremely unlikely and that statement you made right there is stretching it to the point of naive fanboyism. Sakurai won't waste time on a character model when he's on a time budget just so he can pretend to confirm something ISN'T in the game so he can later confirm that it IS in the game.
Unless I misheard, I think that SSB4 is based off of Brawl's engine, so it may be something that hasn't transferred yet. Also, just so you know, I'm not much of a Toad fanboy. I leave that for Vaati, but base it off of logical reasons.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'd be fully supportive if Pit had codecs with characters like Viridi or Hades. Not even to talk about other characters, just as little gimmicks.

If Palutena does not get in this needs to be her thing.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
How bout a Pokemon Trainer codec, where he uses his Pokedex to scan the character and his attributes? :troll:
I think there was a thread about something like this that I saw a few months back.

Mario: Normal/Fire
Luigi: Normal/Electric
Dr. Mario: Normal
DK: Normal/Fighting
Diddy: Normal
Yoshi: Normal/Dragon
Wario: Normal/Dark (or poison type because farts)
Pit: Flying
Ice Climbers: Ice
Olimar and Pikmin: Fire/Electric/Water/Ground/Poison
Samus: Steel/Electric
Kirby: Normal/Flying (changes first type depending on what powers it has)
Meta Knight: Steel/Flying
King DeDeDe: Flying
Link/Young Link: Fighting
Zelda: Fairy/Psychic
Shiek: Dark/Flying (because of her acrobatic moves and such)
Toon Link: Fighting/Flying (there's no official Wind type, so Flying is the closest thing that fits the Hero of Winds)
Marth: Steel/Fighting
Roy: Fire/Fighting
Ike: Ground/Fighting
Fox: Dunno
Falco: Flying
Wolf: Dark
Captain Falcon: Fighting/Fire
Ganondorf: Fighting/Dark (or maybe part dragon type?)
Ness/Lucas: Psychic
Snake: Steel? Fighting?
Sonic: Dunno
R.O.B: Steel
Wii Fit Trainer: Dunno
Villager: Dunno
Mega Man: Steel/Various (secondary type changes with robot master powers)
Mr. Game & Watch: ??? (the type that was removed from Gen 5)

Edit: Oh wow, I completely forgot about Peach and Bowser.

-----

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think there was a thread about something like this that I saw a few months back.

Mario: Normal/Fire
Luigi: Normal/Electric
Dr. Mario: Normal
DK: Normal/Fighting
Diddy: Normal
Yoshi: Normal/Dragon
Wario: Normal/Dark (or poison type because farts)
Pit: Flying
Kirby: Normal/Flying (changes first type depending on what powers it has)
Meta Knight: Steel/Flying
King DeDeDe: Flying
Link/Young Link: Fighting
Zelda: Fairy/Psychic
Shiek: Dark/Flying (because of her acrobatic moves and such)
Toon Link: Fighting/Flying (there's no official Wind type, so Flying is the closest thing that fits the Hero of Winds)
Marth: Steel/Fighting
Roy: Fire/Fighting
Ike: Ground/Fighting
Captain Falcon: Fighting/Fire
Ganondorf: Fighting/Dark (or maybe part dragon type?)
Ness/Lucas: Psychic
Snake: Steel? Fighting?
Sonic: Dunno
R.O.B: Steel
Mega Man: Steel/Various (secondary type changes with robot master powers)
Mr. Game & Watch: ??? (the type that was removed from Gen 5)

-----
Peach: Normal/Fairy
Bowser: Dragon/Fire
Samus: Electric/Fire
Ice Climbers: Ice
Fox: Normal
Falco: Flying
Wolf: Normal/Dark
Olimar: Normal (The normal type with an arsenal of moves)
Sonic: Ground/Fighting?
Villager: Grass/ Dark :troll:
Wii Fit Trainer: Fighting

Espio264

Smash Ace
Learn to take a joke, dude. I'm not trying to be rude.
Insanity laughs, Under Pressure we're cracking.

And Toad being playable is simply illogical. I
I Want To Break Free from your lies, you're so self-satisfied, I don't need you.

If Sakurai plans the roster ahead of time then why would he make one of the playable characters also a human shield for another character?
She's a Killer Queen. Gun powder, gelatine. Dynamite with a laser beam. Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Even if you had a blue Toad it wouldn't make sense.
Open your eyes. Look up to the skies and see... Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me.

A lot of people like to hope Sakurai will change the move set, but again Sakuria would have planned this ahead of time.
I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman!

Why would he change his mind in the middle of development to add a character who was previously just a human shield to him?
Buddy, you're a boy. Make a big noise. Playin' in the street. Gonna be a big man some day!

It's kind of like expecting Ridley to be a character after he was confirmed as a boss.
Inside my heart is breaking. My makeup may be flaking, but my smile still stays on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom