• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Need you be reminded that Sakurai said himself that the movesets are not set in stone yet? You can't just disregard that and claim he won't make changes. I said Toad was a possibility, and that's all I think he is. Like you, I think the next Mario rep should be Paper Mario.
People can take the caption different ways, though. I believe that it's more refining the moveset than changing it.

I still believe there is a chance Toad can be playable, though. A small one, but it's still possible.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Need you be reminded that Sakurai said himself that the movesets are not set in stone yet?
Correct, but he still plans the roster pre-development so why would he waste his time doing this? If a Toad is already to become his own character why is it still part of Peach?

That didn't answer my question. Why wouldn't the Blue Toad, the Toad that has been playable and consistent as of late, make sense as a character? They're different Toads.
It's a Toad being used as a human sheild against another Toad. Characters are getting revamped move sets. If Sakurai already planned Toad than why wouldn't he change Peach's B? We know move sets aren't set in stone, but the roster is set up before development.

It's kind of like expecting Ridley to be a character after he was confirmed as a boss.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
huh your making a fan game?
better have wolf in it, or i'll haunt you forever with "can't let you do that"s
better make your choice wisely:troll:
No cuts from Brawl
All Melee cuts will be returning in one way or another. Whether as a character or alt costume.
Check out the dojo in my sig.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Correct, but he still plans the roster pre-development so why would he waste his time doing this? If a Toad is already to become his own character why is it still part of Peach?
Is there a source saying the roster was pre-planned?

Blue Toad is a separate entity from Red Toad. What's wrong with him?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Exactly this.

Red generic Toad, is a coward.
Blue Toad is a protagonist in... what, 6 games now? And you can tell he likes setting out to stop Bowser or any other threat.

I think there is no argument against him. Not even meat shield Toad.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Learn to take a joke, dude. I'm not trying to be rude.

And Toad being playable is simply illogical. If Sakurai plans the roster ahead of time then why would he make one of the playable characters also a human shield for another character? Even if you had a blue Toad it wouldn't make sense. A lot of people like to hope Sakurai will change the move set, but again Sakuria would have planned this ahead of time. Why would he change his mind in the middle of development to add a character who was previously just a human shield to him? This isn't like Sonic The Hedgehog, the most requested iconic character.
So...this means that you consider Bandana Dee impossible because Dedede use normal Waddle Dees as projectiles?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The talk quickly shifted gears to the game itself, starting off with the selection of the characters. "Smash Bros. is a project blessed with the fact that characters from many games are involved," Sakurai opened. The first interesting tidbit he dropped during his talk was that the final character roster was essentially
completed when the design document was finalized on July 7, 2005. That was, the character list was done 2½ years before the game was completed. Sakurai said the reasoning behind this was that he knew making additions later during development would be very difficult.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/15390

Obviously Brawl's Roster was pre-planned. How would Sub Space Emissary work if the roster kept changing? You'd have to change the story and cut scenes. Lots of things won't work if the roster isn't planned before development including priority. Adding characters in the middle of development basically throws a wrench into everything.

It's not a matter of a character being a separate entity. We had Dr. Mario & Young Link in Melee. It's the fact that Sakurai made someone who is a planned character a human shield of an existing character this late in development. It can happen, but it's really illogical taking into accoung that roster is pre-planned AND Sakurai is making move set revamps.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's not a matter of a character being a separate entity. We had Dr. Mario & Young Link in Melee. It's the fact that Sakurai made someone who is a planned character a human shield of an existing character this late in development. It can happen, but it's really illogical taking into accoung that roster is pre-planned AND Sakurai is making move set revamps.
I completely understand what you're saying, but who's to say Sakurai didn't add a different Toad as a character and the generic Toad as a shield?

I'm just saying it can be done. Not that it's likely, because I too agree it's pretty dumb to have a character and a move with that character on the stage, but it is Sakurai's game. I hate resorting to this logic, but he can make that work.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think there is no argument against him. Not even meat shield Toad.
Roster is planned ahead of time and characters are suppose to get revamps. Why would Sakurai keep a Toad as part of Peach?

I completely understand what you're saying, but who's to say Sakurai didn't add a different Toad as a character and the generic Toad as a shield?

I'm just saying it can be done. Not that it's likely, because I too agree it's pretty dumb to have a character and a move with that character on the stage, but it is Sakurai's game. I hate resorting to this logic, but he can make that work.
It's possible, but so are a lot of things. Anything is really possible with Sakurai, but to consider Toad likely? No, absolutely not.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Toad, huh?
Well, I would easily prefer classic Toad to Blue Toad, but if classic Toad is "disconfirmed" then I guess I'll settle for the recolor.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's always Tom Nook fans and Toad fans getting their hopes up because it's "possible". They just don't want to let go. Even I accepted that Bomberman, the most deserving Third-Party isn't getting in after Sonic was confirmed to return.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's always Tom Nook fans and Toad fans getting their hopes up because it's "possible". They just don't want to let go. Even I accepted that Bomberman, the most deserving Third-Party isn't getting in after Sonic was confirmed to return.
Those are completely different circumstances though. I am not even a Toad fan, but to blatantly disregard his validity based on the notion that Peach pulls one out of her **** is simply fallacious. Just because you arbitrarily think it is "weird" to have him as a move-set special and a playable character is irrelevant. Sakurai never stated that Toad couldn't be both. Logic doesn't dictate anything in regards to Smash. You can have 4 Toon Link's (all wearing green) fighting on the Spirit Tracks Stage (with a Link from a different time period) while throwing around Mario items and bashing a ball that gives you a Final Smash. It DOES NOT have to make sense.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Toad?
Well among recurring Mario characters, hes the most recurring that isnt in the game as a playable character. I mean, in the original super mario bros, the only characters (other than stock minions) are mario, luigi, peach, bowser and Toad. For how long hes been in the games, youd figure hed represent more than a meat shield. Hes recurring and important, but does he ever at any point transcend the "population of mushroom kingdom"? Does he stick out as an individual compared to say, Bowser jr or even Paper Mario?

As an individual, he does not, but as a whole he does. Its down to whether or not in those rare opportunities of him being an individual in games like Mario Kart and Super mario 2, and now super mario 3d world, does he stand out as much?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
The picture of the day hasn't updated for me yet, what was it?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Toad deserves it more than any other Mario character. And this is coming from a huge Paper Mario supporter.
He's been around so long, and he's so important. He's the only one of the Original 8 who hasn't made an appearance in Smash.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Toad, huh?
Well, I would easily prefer classic Toad to Blue Toad, but if classic Toad is "disconfirmed" then I guess I'll settle for the recolor.
Goddamn it, Louie G.! Why are you Rocko!?

Those are completely different circumstances though. I am not even a Toad fan, but to blatantly disregard his validity based on the notion that Peach pulls one out of her **** is simply fallacious. Just because you arbitrarily think it is "weird" to have him as a move-set special and a playable character is irrelevant. Sakurai never stated that Toad couldn't be both. Logic doesn't dictate anything in regards to Smash. You can have 4 Toon Link's (all wearing green) fighting on the Spirit Tracks Stage (with a Link from a different time period) while throwing around Mario items and bashing a ball that gives you a Final Smash. It DOES NOT have to make sense.
It's just simple. Why would Sakurai have not have gotten rid of Toad when he already had him planned and is revamping move sets. I'm just saying I don't think he would have left Toad in when he was already planned along with move set revamps. Just like I don't think Balloon Fighter is getting in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sonic, A yellow Pikmin and Olimar looking at Olimar's tiny ship on the Pyrosphere stage. It's smaller than Olimar even. Possible item?

If Peach had never had Toad as her B Move(even back in Melee), I wonder how many people would of been asking for him. I'd imagine people would of been a lot more welcoming of the mushroom man, considering he's an actual Nintendo All Star.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Jinx french kissing a Magikarp in a Male Electabuzz strip club (I guess this is like a new final smash or something, but it's safe to say that Jinx and Majikarp are deconfirmed)

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's probably a new item. It's the Hocotate Spaceship from Pikmin that was scaled down to around Sonic's size. It's not a spaceship, it's really a bomb. If it "blasts off", it will come crashing down and explode. I like that idea. It makes sense as Olimar's ship always seems to crash...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Roster is planned ahead of time and characters are suppose to get revamps. Why would Sakurai keep a Toad as part of Peach?

Because they're different Toads.

Red Toad is the generic and scaredy-cat coward he's always been famous for.
Blue Toad is one of the 4 protagonists in many games, NSMBW, SMB2, SM3DW, among others.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
The talk quickly shifted gears to the game itself, starting off with the selection of the characters. "Smash Bros. is a project blessed with the fact that characters from many games are involved," Sakurai opened. The first interesting tidbit he dropped during his talk was that the final character roster was essentially
completed when the design document was finalized on July 7, 2005. That was, the character list was done 2½ years before the game was completed. Sakurai said the reasoning behind this was that he knew making additions later during development would be very difficult.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/15390

Obviously Brawl's Roster was pre-planned. How would Sub Space Emissary work if the roster kept changing? You'd have to change the story and cut scenes. Lots of things won't work if the roster isn't planned before development including priority. Adding characters in the middle of development basically throws a wrench into everything.
Exactly: The story layout and cutscenes would make editing the roster later on much more complicated. Without that burden, as the cutscenes, at the very least, are confirmed to not return, editing the roster mid-development would be much simpler. Maybe not as easy as it would be in Melee, but still much easier.

For all we know, Sakurai plans on adding Toad, but adds him as the meat shield to keep it on the down-low. Unlikely, of coarse, but possible.

I'm not expecting Toad in the least, but I won't deny that he's a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom