• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
I do not, personally. My best guess is that people are just hoping for the best.
I really wish I could say that no cuts are possible, but I think the reality of that happening isn't likely.
After Toon Link was revealed, a lot of the "cut" fear left, probably erroneously. Most people still speculate that we will get a reasonable amount of cuts, perhaps one or two. Common candidates are Snake (based on licensing issues and any possible malice because MGS isn't going to be on the Wii U) and Lucas (Mother is dead and Ness is all we really need). Some people out of the norm speculate that certain characters might be dismissed, some Wolf/Lucario/Ike haters are out there. Obviously there isn't a basis for those cuts. I personally think that Pokemon Trainer will be a logical cut.

In the end, after Toon Link, people think that only 1 or 2 characters will be cut. Most people just assume that we will not get as many newcomers.
Yeah, I was expecting a lot of cuts prior to Toon Link's reveal (Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link, Snake, Ike, and Lucas come to mind). But after his reveal, I started to gain hope. Although I prefer that Toon Link did stay off the roster, it certainly did give me some hope. I would hate to see Ike, Snake (most probable, imo) or Lucario go, so maybe part of it is just wishful thinking. I thought the roster from Brawl was great and memorable and I just think a lot of people would just hate to see any character get cut.

Morbi

Scavenger
I really wish I could say that no cuts are possible, but I think the reality of that happening isn't likely.

Yeah, I was expecting a lot of cuts prior to Toon Link's reveal (Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link, Snake, Ike, and Lucas come to mind). But after his reveal, I started to gain hope. Although I prefer that Toon Link did stay off the roster, it certainly did give me some hope. I would hate to see Ike, Snake (most probable, imo) or Lucario go, so maybe part of it is just wishful thinking. I thought the roster from Brawl was great and memorable and I just think a lot of people would just hate to see any character get cut.
Precisely, Sakurai has already communicated that he understands the gravity of the situation. He knows that cutting a character will have a more significant impact than it might initially seem. Therefore, I am pretty sure that he is only going to cut characters when it is absolutely necessary. Perhaps if he can't get Ice Climbers to work (it would be a justified cut). This means that we will probably not get a plethora of newcomers. He might try to stick to the fan favorites like Palutena, Ridley, and Little Mac. It is unfortunate, but that is the only way to avoid cuts. However, the way the article was written certainly implies that we will be getting a few cuts. Hopefully most of which are Melee vets that were already cut like Dr. Mario and such.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think it's curious how a sizable chunk of new items in each game tend to be explosives. With Brawl, we had the Gooey Bomb, Smart Bomb, and arguably the Marked Blast Box and Deku Nut, and now, we have the X Bomb and End of Day (tentatively named). Those sound like they'll be a real blast, although I wonder what other items are in store that possess more finesse.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
People seem to forget that Olimar still has a ship of his own:

He mentions (in present tense) being the captain of the S.S. Dolphin in Pikmin 3, too, despite it having been sold off in the beginning of Pikmin 2, so it's very well still relevant and possible to show up.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other, but I'm saying there's a very good chance that Olimar's entrance and final smash will be the exact same while we have the Hocotate Ship as an item. Having the Hocotate Ship as an item confirms nothing about having a new final smash is all I'm getting at.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well, i'm off to bed. But here is the first of my Super Smash Boards rosters! I'm going installment by installment, meaning i'm starting with 12, and will bump it up to 26 next time.

Here we are!

Here were my picks for Super Smash Boards 64:

Entei = GoldenYuiitusin
Booker DeWitt = Scoliosis Jones (shameless self inclusion :awesome:)
Toon Link = FalKoopa
Shulk = Xenoblaze
Roy = Chronobound
Mega Man = Super Smash Bros. Fan
K.Rool = BKupa
Ivysaur = Swampasaur
Mario and Sonic = Mario and Sonic Guy
Ridley = Oasis
Guile = JohnKnight
Diskun = SaturnGamer64
Solid start to the roster. I will argue that Saturn probably should have been replaced by Diddy Kong, he's more of a vet than Saturn is.

There always is Super Smash Boards Melee though...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Just a quick question for y'all. Why does everybody continue to have all Brawl veteran returning when most of don't expect (I think it's most of us) all of them returning in the first place? It's more of a curious question.
I think it's because by now it's extremely hard to guess who'll be cut. Snake has as much reason, if not even more, to join now as he did before Brawl. Ike is the only lord to have a sequel game. All the Pokémons have relevance currently and can represent different things.

Combine that with Toon Link's return and early reveal, and I think that it got people pretty optimistic about the idea of no cuts.

Personally I think Wolf, Lucas and Ike are the ones in front of the bullseye.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I liked when I could go on there, and would just see a randomly announced character from nowhere. Except now, there are characters we may not see for many, many months, who would actually spark interesting conversation, such as Ike.
This. It would certainly be a huge mark against the whole "recency" debate.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its interesting how so many potential reveal dates this month basically fall on November 21-22nd.

- Toad (release of Super Mario 3D World)
- Little Mac (Japanese release date for Punch-Out)
- Zelda (release of A Link Between Worlds)
- Captain Falcon (Japanese release date of the first F-Zero)
- Diddy Kong (Japanese release date of DKC2)

I think though if we get a newcomer, its going to be shown off first in a Nintendo Direct.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wouldn't it be awesome if Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct on November 21 or 22 and they confirmed returning veterans Zelda, Captain Falcon, and Diddy Kong and confirmed new newcomers Toad and Little Mac in a new SSB4 trailer?!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, i'm off to bed. But here is the first of my Super Smash Boards rosters! I'm going installment by installment, meaning i'm starting with 12, and will bump it up to 26 next time.

Here we are!

Entei = GoldenYuiitusin
Booker DeWitt = Scoliosis Jones (shameless self inclusion :awesome:)
Toon Link = FalKoopa
Shulk = Xenoblaze
Roy = Chronobound
Mega Man = Super Smash Bros. Fan
K.Rool = BKupa
Ivysaur = Swampasaur
Mario and Sonic = Mario and Sonic Guy
Ridley = Oasis
Guile = JohnKnight
Diskun = SaturnGamer64
Maybe I will be in Super Smashboarders Brawl, but then I have competition against Steve the Pikmin ;-;

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The problem I'm having with the roster is that I don't know what icon to use for particular members, like N3ON.

Also, if I don't add you right away, don't feel insulted. I have 4 installments to get through overall. My laptop **** the bed because i'm an idiot. So I may download roster maker on my desktop.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Wouldn't it be awesome if Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct on November 21 or 22 and they confirmed returning veterans Zelda, Captain Falcon, and Diddy Kong and confirmed new newcomers Toad and Little Mac in a new SSB4 trailer?!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Counting Samus/Zamus and Zelda/Sheik as 2 and Pokemon Trainer as one, if all Brawl Veterans return there's 23 reveals to go.

I wonder how many will be unlockable this time.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Here we are!

Seeing Roy has already been taken, I think I'll settle with Fancy Mewtwo/Bearded Ike if I appear in Super Smash Boards Melee :p

Unless I'm Chronobound's mustachioed clone.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
For Super Smash Boards Morbid needs to be Jigglypuff, and Groose needs to be, well, Groose.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
The problem I'm having with the roster is that I don't know what icon to use for particular members, like N3ON.

Also, if I don't add you right away, don't feel insulted. I have 4 installments to get through overall. My laptop **** the bed because i'm an idiot. So I may download roster maker on my desktop.

DivineDiety as MetaKnight? :troll:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
On the topic of who we could be seeing next, I think we could potentially see a filler character like Ness, Lucas, Meta Knight, or any other "obvious" character to give time for either Zelda or Ganondorf. Personally, I expect Ganondorf for LBW.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
On the topic of who we could be seeing next, I think we could potentially see a filler character like Ness, Lucas, Meta Knight, or any other "obvious" character to give time for either Zelda or Ganondorf. Personally, I expect Ganondorf for LBW.
Well there haven't been any "filler" characters as of yet. All character reveals had relation to something, whether it be a new game or anniversary.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
She was revealed on the 28th Anniversary of Super Mario Brothers, which was basically her 28th birthday.
I actually looked that up to check to see if that was what you meant by anniversary. Now, I shall be looking for more anniversaries xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom