• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've already drawn my blade, though.
And once the blade is drawn, it must taste blood.
Then slay your anger.

This demon feeds off of rage and anger.

One must be calm to deal with the beast.

(Getting angry really isn't going to help.)

Regardless, to get back to on topic discussion....

How would you feel if :sheik: was seperated from :sheilda:, :zerosuitsamus:was seperated from :samus2: and :charizard:, :ivysaur: and :squirtle: were their own characters?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Then slay your anger.

This demon feeds off of rage and anger.

One must be calm to deal with the beast.

(Getting angry really isn't going to help.)

Regardless, to get back to on topic discussion....

How would you feel if :sheik: was seperated from :sheilda:, :zerosuitsamus:was seperated from :samus2: and :charizard:, :ivysaur: and :squirtle: were their own characters?
A bunch of wasted slots.
Although it'd be interesting to think up new down special moves for them.

D

Deleted member

*kills random guy off the street*

Sorry, but anger does not give off blood.

The split will never happen, by the way.
If it comes to changing them for limitations' sake, the alternate states would be cut entirely.
No Sheik, no Zamus, and possibly only Charizard for Trainer (as in no Squirtle or Ivysaur).

But the split will never be done. It's either together or only one.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Mmmk

For fun I decided to include a starter roster

Maybe a different retro character than Takamaru but for new franchise rep I absolutely gotta have Isaac.

I dropped Snake but kept Sonic for now.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Zamus being separated from Samus would actually be the best possible thing to happen to both of those characters. Tying them together serves no real purpose aside from rendering players unable to use the Smash Ball if they want to continue playing as their preferred character, and it's not like either Final Smash is good enough to justify such a transformation.

I was ecstatic to see that PM had broken them apart, and the knowledge that they will likely be tied together again in SSB4 saddens me.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Zamus being separated from Samus would actually be the best possible thing to happen to both of those characters. Tying them together serves no real purpose aside from rendering players unable to use the Smash Ball if they want to continue playing as their preferred character, and it's not like either Final Smash is good enough to justify such a transformation.

I was ecstatic to see that PM had broken them apart, and the knowledge that they will likely be tied together again in SSB4 saddens me.
SSB4 should at least give us the option to switch between them on the selection screen, like Zelda and Trainer Red.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Guys.

While I agree that Noah's a moron, don't you think you're getting just a tad too angry?

I mean, I think he's a troll to be honest. You're giving him what he wants.
Yeah it's kind of silly for people to get so mad at him, but I actually talked to him and I could tell he's not a troll.

He hasn't talked about clones at all during Smash 4 development.
Ok, I figured as much, I just wanted to make sure, although Toon Link potentially being cut makes me think he's getting rid of clones, unless he's replacing him with another kid Link, which just seems weird to me.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
-Replace one char with Ridley.

Is the question mark supposed to be a 4th Pokemon char?
I'd say either N, (fighting alongside Reshiram, Zekrom, and Zoroark) Victini, or just Zoroark by itself.

Mewtwo may or may not be seen as a 6th gen rep if he has his "eclair" form.
Yeah, the 4th one could be Mewtwo seeing as Sakurai said it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Also replace toon rinku.

That said, I don't think Ridley will be playable as a character. Again. :>

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
SSB4 should at least give us the option to switch between them on the selection screen, like Zelda and Trainer Red.
Yeah, I'd like them to formalize her as a toggleable character. Having to hold down shield every time got old.

Yeah, the 4th one could be Mewtwo seeing as Sakurai said it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Also replace toon rinku.

That said, I don't think Ridley will be playable as a character. Again. :>
I'm iffy on Ridley just because he's such a good boss for Metroid that Sakurai may want him to remain one.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah it's kind of silly for people to get so mad at him, but I actually talked to him and I could tell he's not a troll.
I've talked with him too. Believe me, he has some troll in him.

That and he hates my guts....

On another note. Why is everyone suddenly making their rosters so small?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm thinking since people made such unrealistic sized rosters back in pre-Brawl hype days and were extremely "disappointed" that the roster size only increased by less than a dozen, when they fell, they fell hard. And don't want to repeat that with this game.

Another reason could be the ignorant "3DS limitations" argument, which has to deal more with specific examples like IC than it does holding both versions back.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I've talked with him too. Believe me, he has some troll in him.

That and he hates my guts....

I don't know... It seems odd since after the trailer everyone was saying that they thought the roster would be big. Now everyone's being all conservative. I bet in the future sakurai will say something like, "we are expanding on the series with this game" and people will go crazy and predict 60 characters.

I personally like to think that the roster will be 45-50 characters, no more but maybe less more like 43 could be possible if cuts were to happen. I really don't mind how many characters there are as long as we get at least 12 new characters. Newcomers are what hype me up for smash bros and if some cuts are required to get the wanted number of characters, so be it, I can play with them in brawl and Melee.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm starting to think that if we don't get a 2nd Link this time around that Sheik will get removed and we will see Impa with Sheiks moveset as a seperate character. I didn't like this idea at first because it wouldn't feel like a new character seeing how she would just have an old characters moveset, but I can see Ganondorf getting an all new moveset that way it's sorta like getting a new character in a weird way. A new character with an old moveset and an old character with a new moveset. I'm still on the fence about it because it kind of takes away from Zelda and removes the unique ability of transforming.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think it's because Sakurai said he may need to reduce the roster to a certain degree because the 3DS version may not be able to contain as many characters as he would like and he doesn't want the two versions to be uneven in roster size.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He never said roster.

He said certain characters.

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
He never said roster.

This has been debated at some length, and it has become pretty clear that Sakurai means characters like Ice Climbers who have more intricate AI requirements. He's not talking about the overall roster size.

It's very important to keep in mind that everything Sakurai says is being filtered through a layer of translation before reaching us, and translation is often inaccurate, particularly for a language like Japanese.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
He never said roster.

Unamused Pitch works well with your posts, but I also liked the staring Bulborb.

Certain characters? Does that mean there will be version exclusive characters after all, but with both versions sharing the same roster size?
I keep hearing people discuss that, and I used to assume that WFT and Villager would be WiiU exclusive.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
He said "We may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree" then he added "but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible." It sounds like he's talking about removing character's planned or possibly transformation characters like Sheik or ZSS.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Unamused Pitch works well with your posts, but I also liked the staring Bulborb.
I change my avatar whenever I beat a game for the first time, so expect something from a certain Mario game soon.

D

Deleted member

I half agree with you about Pac-Man. I don't see it happening. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. Personally, Pac-Man doesn't have much interesting to bring to the table in regard to playstyle. And it seems Sakurai's focus with this game is unique characters with unique fighting styles. Meaning clones like Ninten or boring characters like Pac-Man are out of the question. But you never know, Sakurai is very unpreictable.
Unfortunately, there is nothing to disprove the Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii rumor. It is likely that Sakurai heard about the leak and changed when they would be revealed.

So it still looks as Pac-Man is all but confirmed for the game. Which is too bad really, I really wanted it to be false.
That's not too much of a stretch, I would say more around the 35-40 range would be good for Smash, I mean the 3DS may have a small memory cache but it should have enough for that at least. I mean if it holds it back then it will be minor setbacks.
Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS managed to have thirty-five characters with 2 GB. If a game can do that, then with 8 GB and good compression, we could very well hit a roster in the early fifties (transformation included) if not higher.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, there is nothing to disprove the Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii rumor. It is likely that Sakurai heard about the leak and changed when they would be revealed.

So it still looks as Pac-Man is all but confirmed for the game. Which is too bad really, I really wanted it to be false.Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS managed to have thirty-five characters with 2 GB. If a game can do that, then with 8 GB and good compression, we could very well hit a roster in the early fifties (transformation included) if not higher.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still holding on to the idea that the rumor is just that, a rumor. Mostly cause I'd be very bummed to see the Mii get in alongside PacMan.

I mean, there's nothing concrete to PROVE the rumor is there? It could all just be a very good coincidence. Anyone have links to this supposed leaker and his claims?

D

Deleted member

Maybe it's just me, but I'm still holding on to the idea that the rumor is just that, a rumor. Mostly cause I'd be very bummed to see the Mii get in alongside PacMan.

I mean, there's nothing concrete to PROVE the rumor is there? It could all just be a very good coincidence. Anyone have links to this supposed leaker and his claims?
Here it is.

This is the same person that predicted Wii Fit Trainer. I don't think there is anything we can do at this point but grit out teeths for Pac-Man's (nearly) inevitable inclusion and hope that Pac-Man is the last "bad" addition made to the game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow, another ****storm.
About roster sizes, I'll keep my roster size prediction at 50 slots.

D

Deleted member

Here it is.

This is the same person that predicted Wii Fit Trainer. I don't think there is anything we can do at this point but grit out teeths for Pac-Man's (nearly) inevitable inclusion and hope that Pac-Man is the last "bad" addition made to the game.
Well, here's some more of his predictions for E3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=58046232

Some of them were off, like the name of LttP2 and stuff, among other things.

Likewise, maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but he called the Villager, "Animal Crossing Guy." I'm still not too quick to believe this guy. I feel he just got real lucky with WFT. If he hadn't called that one, no one would have believed anything.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
In retrospect the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer felt pretty obvious, even though I guess many thought that Mii would suffice. Just that nobody really wanted her that bad.

So I think "educated guess" still holds. All his predictions makes sense to be in the game imo.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
On the issue of the rumor it just seems too crazy to claim a leak and in that leak guess WFT, people predict rosters a lot but not claim it was a leak. Also animal crossing guy instead of saying villager probly just means one of two things: the leaker only saw the game on action not some official list and noticed the characters OR the leak is claimed to be second hand and the guy who posted it said animal crossing guy cause villager doesn't point to who he's talking about there are villagers in a million games so he had to specify what he ment. The leaker also has credibility for past leaks so like it or not the leak is most likely true. Especially considering the Only thing stopping it is that 3 characters weren't revealed at E3 which only points to the leaker probably just seeing the game and not being told by nintendo what they plan on revealing: leaker sees game with those characters- assumes they are all E3 reveals- tells Internet- turns out nintndo didn't want to reveal them all just had some unfinished demo with possible characters to reveal. < this also fits with calling villager animal crossing guy, all the leaker did was SEE the game not get the inside scoop from nintendo, also might have been in Japanese for all we know.

On the subject of roster size, I'm not getting my hopes up for something huge like I did with brawl. 45 given the 9 rows on the smash site seems likely to me tho we could get 40 with 5 more move sets (shiek/impa, zero suit, charizard, squirtle, ivysaur) totaling 45...OR 45 spots with those five character move sets that don't take up a "spot" equaling 50 total "characters". My guess is either of those scenarios but I'm pulling for 45 spots with 50 movesets.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So do we think the first character reveal is going to be a veteran or a newcomer once the Dojo get's back up and running officially?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom