• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm someone who would love it if no characters were cut and if all melee cuts were brought back as well as having a variety of newcomers, including new clonified characters. Of course original movesets are preferred, but if more clones were to mean more characters, I'm fine with that. Still, I don't see the need to feel a large amount of cuts and low number for the total roster would be a total disappointment. For example, I made this rather quickly:

*Sonic should be Mega Man in this picture*; my mistake~

I feel even with some disappointing cuts, that's a roster I would find exciting and enjoyable.
I would definitely not find that roster enjoyable personally. Cutting Lucas, Falco, Ike, Lucario, Snake, and Sonic for Chrom, Pac-Man, and MII would be utter anti-hype for me.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I feel if a character like wii fit trainer got in we will get a significant amount imo.
But then we have the entire problem with the 3DS holding back the Wii U version. So it's likely that we wont get over fifty characters. We'd be lucky to even reach fifty to be honest.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
But then we have the entire problem with the 3DS holding back the Wii U version. So it's likely that we wont get over fifty characters. We'd be lucky to even reach fifty to be honest.
I think we will get at least 15 brand new characters and very minor character cuts (I think toon link will be the only one cut) 60 is probly too much, but I think it will reach 50 for sure, I just think all of those characters in my list are realistic choices, sakurai will have to make the choices on who gets in this time though, cuz I cant figure it out I was only able to narrow it down to that roster I posted.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I really think people are going overboard on cuts. Even after Melee, which had several characters added just for the sake of fluffing up the roster, we only had a few cuts, only one of them a unique character. Since Brawl had only one full clone, I don't think there's going to be much of cuts for that, and I doubt we're going to lose many characters just to cram in more newcomers when Sakurai's trying to focus on refining vets in this game.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think we will get at least 15 brand new characters and very minor character cuts (I think toon link will be the only one cut) 60 is probly too much, but I think it will reach 50 for sure, I just think all of those characters in my list are realistic choices, sakurai will have to make the choices on who gets in this time though, cuz I cant figure it out I was only able to narrow it down to that roster I posted.
Of course they would be realistic but i doubt we'll see 15 new characters either. Theres also the fact that Sakurai said that fifty characters would be enough. Anything over seems to be overfilling the roster in his eyes.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Personally I'm someone who would love it if no characters were cut and if all melee cuts were brought back as well as having a variety of newcomers, including new clonified characters. Of course original movesets are preferred, but if more clones were to mean more characters, I'm fine with that. Still, I don't see the need to feel a large amount of cuts and low number for the total roster would be a total disappointment. For example, I made this rather quickly:

I feel even with some disappointing cuts, that's a roster I would find exciting and enjoyable.
Cuts do dissapoint me a bit, but a lack of new characters is definetly something that would dissapoint me most about this game. I can deal with cuts do to the fact that I own the other smash games and if I get the urge to play with old characters, I can play the old games. I definetly would not be disappointed as much with this roster as others due to the many newcomers. I feel that if the 3ds version does hold the roster number back, veterans should be cut before newcomers. Newcomers are what makes smash exciting, they not only draw in new players, but bring back old ones. Sure there is a dream of an ideal smash roster with zero cuts and still many newcomers along with returning Melee characters, but with a roster the size of smash's that dream is not a reality.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
My Newly updated realistic roster

54 characters seems a little big, at least cut it down to 50.
If it were me I would get rid of King Boo, Impa, Samurai Goroh, and Saki just because they seem unlikely.
As much as I love Lucas and Lucario. I would cut them.
I would change the pokemon trainer to a new trainer.
I would change Pac-man to Lloyd.
I'm honestly fine with any FE rep, but I don't think it will be Roy.
And if I had to make another change, I might cut Wolf, but only to clear up space.
Other than that it seems fine.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
So, how's everyone feeling about the Wii Fit Trainer? I, personally, love the idea
I'm fine with her, just as long as my faves still get in too.
If not, however, RAGE.

Why get rid of the most iconic and popular trainer for a newer, less popular one that Sakurai will have to start from scratch rather than building off an established moveset?
Edit: sorry for the double post

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
54 characters seems a little big, at least cut it down to 50.
If it were me I would get rid of King Boo, Impa, Samurai Goroh, and Saki just because they seem unlikely.
As much as I love Lucas and Lucario. I would cut them.
I would change Pac-man to Lloyd.
I'm honestly fine with any FE rep, but I don't think it will be Roy.
And if I had to make another change, I might cut Wolf, but only to clear up space.
Other than that it seems fine.
Pac-Man seems a lot more likely then Lloyd now believe it or not. It has nothing to do with the stupid rumor. It's actually how Sakurai acted when he was asked by the IGN reviewer about third parties and how he seemed curious about the idea of Pac-Man.
Changing the Pokemon Trainer is a bad move since the Gen 1 trainer is the most iconic. (He also has one of the most popular Pokemon ever. Charizard)

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Here Is a more cut realistic roster
Well why did you cut Falco all of a sudden?
Also I forgot to mention earlier that I would cut the mii as well because they just don't seem relevant now after the villager and WFT.
I however will go back on the pokemon trainer thing. I mean now that I think about it, it would be stupid to have Gold or something over Red who is the original.
The only reason that I don't think Pac will make it over Lloyd is that he isn't very interesting. Yes he is a big video gaming star but nowadays with his 3-D form I think he has gotten worse and worse. His move set also seems like it would be pretty boring, while Lloyd has more potential for a more interesting character and fighter. However if I were to have a back up Namco character it would be Pac.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
A lot of people have Isaac, Saki, and Shulk on their rosters, so I like to refer to them as the three "BHDs" (Blond haired dudes)

Personally, my favorite is Shulk. (I watched a walkthrough of Xenoblade and I fell in love with the voice actors, characters, music, setting, and storyline)

Golden Sun has a good following behind it despite being a small series, so I have no problem with either Isaac or Matthew.

I haven't watched any walkthroughs of any of the two Sin and Punishment games, so I don't really have an opinion of Saki or Isa Jo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait. Toon Link's gone too?

Nope.

Three strikes. Don't like it anymore.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Well why did you cut Falco all of a sudden?
Also I forgot to mention earlier that I would cut the mii as well because they just don't seem relevant now after the villager and WFT.
I however will go back on the pokemon trainer thing. I mean now that I think about it, it would be stupid to have Gold or something over Red who is the original.
The only reason that I don't think Pac will make it over Lloyd is that he isn't very interesting. Yes he is a big video gaming star but nowadays with his 3-D form I think he has gotten worse and worse. His move set also seems like it would be pretty boring, while Lloyd has more potential for a more interesting character and fighter. However if I were to have a back up Namco character it would be Pac.
I cut falco since he is closest thing to a clone behind toon link, also Pac is desired more by sakurai and is more iconic, also I dont want the mii either but I have a feeling that it will be in it regardless, I mean if you look at wii fit trainer and the mii it represents the casual nintendo history of the wii....

I like it, although I don't agree with replacing Falco for Krystal and Zelda only having 3 characters while Mario and Pokemon have 5
this my bare bones cut, I dont want it this small but this is what it looks like when cut to 50 (not including transforms).

sry for double post (EDIT)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I cut falco since he is closest thing to a clone behind toon link, also Pac is desired more by sakurai and is more iconic, also I dont want the mii either but I have a feeling that it will be in it regardless, I mean if you look at wii fit trainer and the mii it represents the casual nintendo history of the wii....
Sakurai never actually said he preferred Pac-Man. Where did you get that idea?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That Ign article I believe, Ill reread it again if I got the wrong impression, he was asked if he were to pick a namco rep who would it be and im pretty sure he said pacman. It was the one about namco characters not receiving special treatment.
No. Sakurai asked the interviewer who the interviewer would pick. Sakurai wasn't asked that.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
That Ign article I believe, Ill reread it again if I got the wrong impression, he was asked if he were to pick a namco rep who would it be and im pretty sure he said pacman. It was the one about namco characters not receiving special treatment.
Sakurai asked the ign guy which Namco character he wanted. Sakurai never said he would prefer Pac-man, that was the other guy.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

As much as I hate to admit it, switch kamek with ROB and that is a very likely roster tho low. I'm pulling for 45 characters due to the website being in rows of 9 and the fact that 45 is reasonable. Still if we are at 40 then make that one switch and that's basically my roster guess, if it's 45 bring back sonic and snake and then there's 3 spots to play around with, Possiblly lucas or falco returning or someone else who's cuttable but could also stay and then only like 1 or 2 spots for other newcomers ( mattering to how many of the remaining 3 spaces you make returning characters like the examples i mentioned instead of open spots for newcomers ). Takamaru I also feel is likely and either is in instead of Ridley or occupies a remaining spot over a returning semi-clone.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
A lot of people have Isaac, Saki, and Shulk on their rosters, so I like to refer to them as the three "BHDs" (Blond haired dudes)

Personally, my favorite is Shulk. (I watched a walkthrough of Xenoblade and I fell in love with the voice actors, characters, music, setting, and storyline)

Golden Sun has a good following behind it despite being a small series, so I have no problem with either Isaac or Matthew.

I haven't watched any walkthroughs of any of the two Sin and Punishment games, so I don't really have an opinion of Saki or Isa Jo.
Blond Haired Male Characters usually end up being cool.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
As much as I hate to admit it, I think pacman is the only likely namco rep at this point. Like sakurai said adding third parties is a special occasion and since he isn't adding a namco character just since they are helping in the game. I think the only characters overall who are iconic enough to fill the role of 3rd party would be pac-man, professor Layton, a square character like black Mage (not geno, I feel like his time has come and passed. If square gave black Mage to Nintendo for Mario 3 on 3, they would probably do the same for smash, anyway black Mage is way more recognizable), and bomberman. I personally think any other third party doesn't have a shot in hell after what sakurai said (I still support yoshimitsu though, just cuz). I personally would love black Mage and bomberman and would be fine with Layton, pacman would dissapoint me but that's all.

Also I asked this before but I don't think anyone saw it or something... What would you guys think of sakurai simply scrapping the whole pokemon trainer idea and instead just bringing back charizard with his own down B due to him being the most popular pokemon and stuff.

Blond Haired Male Characters usually end up being cool.
inb4 counter examples

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
*Sigh* I've waited a while for this.

1. Your constant inability to use the sources at hand, or more pressingly to misconstrue them is truly phenomenal. I mean honestly. By day I'm a history student and you put some neo-nazis to shame through your inability to look at sources properly. Here's an example, the Pac-Man discussion yesterday, all you did is claim it proved that Pac-Man wouldn't be in the game. I'm sorry but it didn't. There was not a single sentence that backed that up. By all means use it to say he was less likely, you could have argued that, but you insisted in causing a massive argument by blindly ignoring the facts in return for no other reason than to stunt the conversation.

2. Your biting ability. For all I care you could have a roster full of Magicarps. I honestly couldn't care less, we're just a bunch of smash fans whittling down the days through hearty discussion. Everyone else on this forum responds courteously and puts forward their evidence or thoughts. You are alone in responding in the most disgusting manner. As soon as someone takes issue with you you straight away launch into a tirade of abuse while keeping your fingers in your ears and not listening to anyone. A little advice Noah, if you want to succeed not just on the forums or the internet, you need thicker skin then you currently have.

3. I've saved the best till last, hypocrisy. For someone so obsessed with the presentation of evidence (which I respect and find commendable yet me thinks your motives are not quite as genuine) you present none. You fume as someone calls you names yet you respond by insulting our intelligence and fabricating names we've called you. Today is the first time I'm ever really responded to you in any meaty capacity but you've already taken issue with me. By all means but do us all a favour and try to be civil in future.

To conclude, Noah, I'm happy you're passionate about but can't you see you killing the conversation for everyone else? If you truly were a smash fan, you'd listen to what people have got to say and discuss it in a civil way. I've not called you any names, I've not told you to get lost, nor have I raised any major issues with your roster here. All I ask is you stop twisting sources, bite at every opportunity and stop being a hypocrite.

Many Thanks.
Ugh, why do your senseless posts have to be so long. I hate having to prove wrong so much bull**** at once. But, I guess I have to. :tired:

shame through your inability to look at sources properly. Here's an example, the Pac-Man discussion yesterday, all you did is claim it proved that Pac-Man wouldn't be in the game. I'm sorry but it didn't. There was not a single sentence that backed that up. By all means use it to say he was less likely, you could have argued that, but you insisted in causing a massive argument by blindly ignoring the facts in return for no other reason than to stunt the conversation.

Okay so, what part of this do you NOT understand: "Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game."

Here's the source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

having present participle of have (Verb)

Verb
  1. Possess, own, or hold.
Sakurai has never AT ALL considered the roster possesing or holding Namco characters, because of them helping in the game.

all you did is claim it proved that Pac-Man wouldn't be in the game. I'm sorry but it didn't. There was not a single sentence that backed that up.

yeah, except the part where he said"that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game."

we're just a bunch of smash fans whittling down the days through hearty discussion. Everyone else on this forum responds courteously and puts forward their evidence or thoughts. You are alone in responding in the most disgusting manner.

Oh, you mean like THIS: "You are just being a pretentious douche that believes himself to be 100% correct every time; all the time when in fact you are not. You are a waste of my time to argue/debate with." - Venus

which was a response to me saying:
Did you read my post and the quote in it from Masihiro Sakurai? "Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game,"-Masahiro Sakurai. In fact that's pretty much what I said when I first joined this sight. Now Sakurai has confirmed what I told you all several times before. when you said "Sakurai never dismissed a Namco rep but just said they won't be given special treatment." you just straight up lied. Not to mention: Why would he say that if he was ever planning on putting them in the game or thought he ever would. He has had plenty of time to consider that and never did. If after this you still think Pac-Man could be in the game (as if it wasn't already kinda silly.) no offense, but that's kind of like denial. I mean I know you guys want him in the game, but just because you want someone doesn't mean they are gonna be in it. I'm not trying to shove stuff in your face or like stomp on your faith or anything, but come on. It's all kind of wrapped up already. He's not gonna be in it. He never was gonna be in it. There isn't really anything else to say otherwise than to just pretend what Sakurai said so clearly doesn't mean anything. Even I admit when a character is unlikely, but this?

Please post this disgusting post I made. Or are you too simply calling it disgusting because you don't agree.

I've saved the best till last, hypocrisy. For someone so obsessed with the presentation of evidence (which I respect and find commendable yet me thinks your motives are not quite as genuine) you present none.

Okay let me present it for the 20th time then.
"Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game" - MASAHIRO SAKURAI (he's the creator of SSB by the way.)

To conclude, Noah, I'm happy you're passionate about but can't you see you killing the conversation for everyone else?

Like how I started complaining when you guys brought evidence against a character I wanted and then called you a douchebag who thinks he's always right. I'm PRETTY sure that was someone else.

If you truly were a smash fan, you'd listen to what people have got to say and discuss it in a civil way.

Remind me: Who was the one that started childish name calling?

"You are just being a pretentious douche that believes himself to be 100% correct every time; all the time when in fact you are not. You are a waste of my time to argue/debate with." - Venus

Please show this "uncivil" post I made. Oh, wait let me guess: It's just another post you simply don't agree with.

All I ask is you stop twisting sources, bite at every opportunity and stop being a hypocrite.

Example?

Twisting sources, like replacing particular words in Sakurai's quote with different words, like replcaing "Consideraition" with "Treatment" wait, that was Venus.

I've not called you any names
(Noah, King of the Smash trolls.)

See here's the thing, all I did was bring proof against Pac-Man and everyone goes nuts. Simple as that.

So let me get this straight, you DON'T have any proof why Pac-Man is still likely. If not you should move on.

But, feel free to call names and claim that it's pointless to argue with me if you don't have actual reasons why it IS other than that you don't agree.

Unless somebody posts a source that says Sakurai is still considering Namco characters I'm not going to respond to this whole Pac-Man subject anymore. I've made it VERY clear why he won't be in the game. So go ahead and just post how you think I'm stupid or pointless to argue with because of it, if that's the best you can do.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sakurai: I'm not going to add a Namco character just because Namco is helping with the game, however I did add one for other reasons.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
On the bright side.

Noah's post has lots of pretty colors!

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
I just temporarily unblocked Noah.
I can't stop laughing.
I did as well. That is a very long post. Noah seems to have forgotten that Sakurai never just went out and said that there wouldn't be any Namco characters in the game. Sakurai only said that Namco doesn't get special treatment. Namco has to earn there spot by having a good and different character that is popular with the fans and for one thing, popular with Sakurai. So if Noah can give proof were Sakurai says specifically "No Namco characters" then hey good for him. Unfortunately for him no such proof exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom