• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh bones

Smash Lord
According to some random Earthbound wiki, Ness's resemblance to Ninten was left as ambiguous by Shigesato Itoi (the creator of Mother) intentionally. Ness is similiar to Ninten so the player can consider him to be the same character if he wants. However they are two separate characters.
Ninten is ness's father rite? He gave ness his bat. That's what I heard from the wiki

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey,I have a new topic,Yoshi!
Do you think that the Watermelon powers can be used this time?

Do you think that Egg toss will have a new look?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Looking at the other veterans, I think Yoshi will be just like he used to, but with different numbers.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Hey,I have a new topic,Yoshi!
Do you think that the Watermelon powers can be used this time?

Do you think that Egg toss will have a new look like in his games?
I've been wanting the Egg Toss to be like his games, exactly like that picture. I just think it would be a problem to modify because he would lose his ability to control if it goes near or far.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I love the idea of Yoshi being able to use Egg Throw in Smash like he does in the Yoshi series. I'd just be a bit worried about what could be done for his already limited recovery options.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Egg Toss,needs to be improved,but not only in look,the egg needs to be stronger,with K.O potential,needs to go in a straight line and bounce on walls.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ninten is ness's father rite? He gave ness his bat. That's what I heard from the wiki
Hasn't been outright confirmed, but it seems there's a good chunk of hints towards it. Like Ness getting his red cap from his father, Ness' mother looking quite a lot like Ana from Mother 1 who was Ninten's love interest (she also has a frying pan in her official clay art, which was Ana's main weapon), Ness knowing PSI without having studied it, Pollyanna playing in Ness' home (which was pretty much the main overworld theme of Mother 1).

One could consider Ninten to be Ness' father because of these hints, but there's never been a confirmation one way or the other, so it's left to the player's own interpretation.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Although, aiming while in the air and trying to recover could be very hard to do, perhaps this can only be used on the ground to aim.
I agree with this, while in air he should just randomly throw the egg, but on ground he gets to aim the egg in whatever direction he can
this way It will be a very effective buff, while not changing much of Yoshi's gameplay (or unless you don't like to use the egg throw)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How about we talk a little bit about Mario? Most likely newcomer?

I think if we ever get a new Mario character in Smash it'll either be Toad, Bowser Jr., or Paper Mario. Toad I don't really care for, but Jr. and Paper Mario would be cool to see down the line. After those three I'd probably put characters like Waluigi and Daisy, not all that likely, but they do show up in most of the spin-offs and whatnot.

What series you think deserves a rep that doesn't have a rep yet?

Punch Out!! for Little Mac. Golden Sun for Isaac. The only other series that I'd be that excited for I guess would be Xenoblade, but that series is pretty new, so it might not make it.

I like to think series that are massively large would be okay at 5, but nothing more than that. I really think Mario is getting Jr. Zelda will most likely stay at 4 unless Sakurai really wanted to make Toon Zelda. And obvioulsy Pokemon needs 5.

As for "game balance" I think F-zero deserves 2. It's an original series of Smash, and it does have more games than Mother and Starfox. Who cares if it's not relevant, muh recent, or is dormant. The good Captain, in my mind, would do well with having another character. Mother is 3x smaller and F-Zero's last game was only 2 years before Mother. If Mother gets 2, F-zero should get 2. I mean hell Starfox has 3. Plus Sakurai loves the F-Zero series.

They should add Black Shadow. Besides, who wouldn't want to see Vegeta vs. M.Bison? :troll:

EDIT: Double post, my bad.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Hasn't been outright confirmed, but it seems there's a good chunk of hints towards it. Like Ness getting his red cap from his father, Ness' mother looking quite a lot like Ana from Mother 1 who was Ninten's love interest (she also has a frying pan in her official clay art, which was Ana's main weapon), Ness knowing PSI without having studied it, Pollyanna playing in Ness' home (which was pretty much the main overworld theme of Mother 1).

One could consider Ninten to be Ness' father because of these hints, but there's never been a confirmation one way or the other, so it's left to the player's own interpretation.
That's a cool theory! And the face of Ness's father is never shown, so that's another hint. I don't know why not show Ness's father. In the ending credits, when all characters are shown, the sprite for Ness's father is the black phone.

waddle dee has a spear, not a staff
It's almost the same.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
If Shulk doesnt make it to the game, what do you think his chances of being DLC is?

His series is pretty new, but with "X" supposedly being a sequel or spiritual successor to Xenoblade, he could be more relevant to Nintendo in the coming months.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
If Shulk doesnt make it to the game, what do you think his chances of being DLC is?

His series is pretty new, but with "X" supposedly being a sequel or spiritual successor to Xenoblade, he could be more relevant to Nintendo in the coming months.
probably high, I always expected him or his "X" successor to have some sort of form in smash, most likely playable status (or at the very least a stage)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeah, I had a theory that in Mother 3 that Alec is Ness, because the second "Don't Care" name for Ness in Earthbound is Alec. Also it would make sense why Flint has Franklin Badge then. Mother is a series that let's you interprets how character's relate and etc, since Itoi intentionally left it to the Player's imagination. So in truth head cannon is ok for the mother franchise.

Espio264

Smash Ace

That's awesome. I'll totally buy it.

I think the chances of Shulk making the main roster are a lot higher than getting any DLC at all.

Touchdown Panthers!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Again, why are people saying that we'll get DLC when it's already been confirmed for not being planned?
It was confirmed at the time of the interview that they don't currently plan on it.

As in, "We're focusing on getting everything we can in now."
As in, "We're not going to hold content back just so we can charge more for it later."
As in, "We don't plan on doing DLC now, but we're not saying it's an impossibility later."

Either way, Sakurai did show interest in a patch system in the future, which is effectively the same as DLC, only free.

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
Shulk has a really good shot of making it in my opinion.

Ness and Lucas will be the only representatives for Earthbound/Mother ever unless a new game is released.

Captain Falcon is all F-Zero needs. I could've seeing another rep in Melee, but at this point it is too late. Unless F-Zero Wii U is on the horizon (extremely unlikely) then Captain Falcon will be by himself.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Again, why are people saying that we'll get DLC when it's already been confirmed for not being planned?
Because people like to take every little thing he said literally. The word they are taking literally is "yet".

I think, due time after release, Sakurai may release a bundle of, say, past stages. But he would never leave out a character and put them as Downloadable Content, even if we do somehow get it.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ness and Lucas will be the only representatives for Earthbound/Mother ever unless a new game is released.
I find ever to be too strong of a word, it's still possible to have a 3rd rep, since Sakurai is one to throw curve-balls at speculators.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In terms of more characters from F-Zero getting in, I don't know that not having a new game renders its character choices any less desirable, per se, moreso that they may not have ever been that desirable to begin with under any criteria other than "REPS," which is currently defunct due to "RELEVANCE." Sure, in Smash 64, you can reskin the Dragon King prototype fighter out of convenience and give him a memetic catchphrase to make him appealing. However, other than maybe Samurai Goroh, who's only vaguely unique for being "reckless" the same way Toad is unique for being "small and strong," there's not much else you can do with the others to render them worthy as additions as anything other than last-minute clones...and even the likeliest candidate for that is Sak-blocked due to the horrendous decision to keep Captain Ganondorf.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the only reason why people would bring up F-Zero is because of the proposition of franchise balance, though in my eyes it's much more satisfactory to have characters that can offer something and satisfy the most. Trying to fill in a spot for the sake of filling a spot feels weak, if you want to include something you've got to explain why it's a good idea.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I think the only reason why people would bring up F-Zero is because of the proposition of franchise balance, though in my eyes it's much more satisfactory to have characters that can offer something and satisfy the most. Trying to fill in a spot for the sake of filling a spot feels weak, if you want to include something you've got to explain why it's a good idea.
This is why I support a few Mother characters. Since many people think it doesn't deserve another rep for being such a small series. I support the characters like Porky and Masked Man because they provide something interesting like being in a menacing spider mech or having a cyborg with mechanical wings, a sword, arm cannon and a lot at his disposal.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is why I support a few Mother characters. Since many people think it doesn't deserve another rep for being such a small series. I support the characters like Porky and Masked Man because they provide something interesting like being in a menacing spider mech or having a cyborg with mechanical wings, a sword, arm cannon and a lot at his disposal.
I'm sure, if either of those two were more requested, more important within the Nintendoverse as a whole, or (in Porky's case) Sakurai didn't suffer from potential toobigotry, they'd have decent odds at making a roster. Maybe next time around?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love the idea of Yoshi being able to use Egg Throw in Smash like he does in the Yoshi series. I'd just be a bit worried about what could be done for his already limited recovery options.
Yoshi needs to have multiple jumps like in the Yoshi's Island games.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
They dont plan DLC, doesnt mean it wont happen. A few months after the game comes out, Sakurai may think "oh, I forgot about this character" or " This character came out after My game,but would fit right in"

This, combined with possible time constraints and cut characters, which he also addressed as very likely, as well as pressure from Nintendo to profit more,its very possible.

Nintendo handles their DLC very well, so I would welcome any DLC possibilities.

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
On a side note, here's my updated roster. This isn't what I want, its what I expect. Chrom & Lucina is based off of a supposed "leak", and I don't expect that to happen.

3DS Roster.png

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While I do agree such arguments happen (Ex. Mario/Zelda/Pokemon) and that they are shallow, generalizing everyone's opinions like that is ridiculous. What is satisfying is subjective.

While I have come to terms with F-Zero most likely not getting a newcomer, I support Samurai Goroh because I like him as a character and I can see a functional and interesting moveset in my head.

Grvnger

Smash Rookie
Really wanna see Shaq and or Master Chief in the next smash

in all seriousness though, the only characters that I really, really want to make new appearances are Geno, Boo, or Lloyd. The rest I'll probably be indifferent or fine with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom