• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh bones

Smash Lord
But he only appeared in one game. Porky appeared in two. His importance over Nintendo is great, but better-known and more frequent characters like Mewtwo and Porky should get in before Giegue.
Giegue/Giygas appeared in 2. Pokey and Giygas have equal chance.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
But he only appeared in one game. Porky appeared in two. His importance over Nintendo is great, but better-known and more frequent characters like Mewtwo and Porky should get in before Giegue.
Giegue appeared in Mother 1 and Earthbound as Giygas from becoming overwhelmed by power. He may not look like his physical self but he is still Giegue in spirit.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I thought it was left open to the player's interpretation that Ninten and Ness could be the same person. I may be wrong, but it's what always made sense to me. He got new shoes and turned his hat the other way, but everything else is exactly the same. Just because they took away Superman's red underwear, he didn't cease to be the same character.

Also, I wasn't aware of Giegue before SureNsync's post. I looked him up and he's awesome. I'd love to see him alongside Mewtwo, even if they are similar.

And Masked Man is rad. My knowledge of Mother is minimal, so please forgive me for my ignorance in any of these statements.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I thought it was left open to the player's interpretation that Ninten and Ness could be the same person. I may be wrong, but it's what always made sense to me. He got new shoes and turned his hat the other way, but everything else is exactly the same. Just because they took away Superman's red underwear, he didn't cease to be the same character.

Also, I wasn't aware of Giegue before SureNsync's post. I looked him up and he's awesome. I'd love to see him alongside Mewtwo, even if they are similar.

And Masked Man is rad. My knowledge of Mother is minimal, so please forgive me for my ignorance in any of these statements.
So basically you think Ness is like 3 hundred years old in his game.

Actually, they are different people but they look the same anyway i guess.

Espio264

Smash Ace
So basically you think Ness is like 3 hundred years old in his game.

Actually, they are different people but they look the same anyway i guess.
I wasn't aware there was such a time gap between the two games, once again, forgive my ignorance.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Honestly, based on the "game balance" rule, there a few series that I wouldn't add characters to.

Those being Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Star Fox, and Mother.

Mario and Zelda because you have the necessities as it is, F-Zero because it hasn't had a game in like 10 years, Star Fox because it hasn't been active like F-Zero, and Mother because for a 3 game series, 2 characters is a pretty good character count.

(don't get me wrong. The more characters the better. But there are certainly other series who should get new characters first.)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, based on the "game balance" rule, there a few series that I wouldn't add characters to.

Mario and Zelda because you have the necessities as it is, F-Zero because it hasn't had a game in like 10 years, Star Fox because it hasn't been active like F-Zero, and Mother because for a 3 game series, 2 characters is a pretty good character count.

(don't get me wrong. The more characters the better. But there are certainly other series who should get new characters first.)
I'm actually okay with Mario getting some more characters given that there are still characters that have valid merits for getting in this game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Luigi is too similar to Mario, then.
Tbh, EarthBound's complete, anyways.
But Luigi doesn't need to be unique to justify getting in as he's Luigi, man!

On a different subject, what would your reaction be if, hypothetically speaking, Diskun and Toon Zelda actually made it in this game?

josh bones

Smash Lord

Zelda may be but toad completes Mario for me. Mario is nintendos biggest series, giving it 4 while Zelda has 5 isn't repping it well at all.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Takamaru looks too much like Ike to be added.

(though would kinda rather have Takamaru)
FALSE!

Ike's a man. Takamaru wears flip flops. NOT THE SAME!

But Luigi doesn't need to be unique to justify getting in as he's Luigi, man!

On a different subject, what would your reaction be if, hypothetically speaking, Diskun and Toon Zelda actually made it in this game?
Toon Zelda is a distinct possibility, but an unnecessary addition. The only reason anyone brings up Diskun is because there are a few individuals in this thread that think that their random *ss favorite character is more credible than your random *ss favorite character on the basis that they are them and you are not.

But if either is added, I'd treat it the same way as any other reveal, one more step towards an amazing game.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

I like to think series that are massively large would be okay at 5, but nothing more than that. I really think Mario is getting Jr. Zelda will most likely stay at 4 unless Sakurai really wanted to make Toon Zelda. And obvioulsy Pokemon needs 5.

As for "game balance" I think F-zero deserves 2. It's an original series of Smash, and it does have more games than Mother and Starfox. Who cares if it's not relevant, muh recent, or is dormant. The good Captain, in my mind, would do well with having another character. Mother is 3x smaller and F-Zero's last game was only 2 years before Mother. If Mother gets 2, F-zero should get 2. I mean hell Starfox has 3. Plus Sakurai loves the F-Zero series.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I actually just made a thread about completing series, called the Complete Series Discussion.
Sorry if it looks like self advertising, but I decided that the topic was frequent enough to warrant a thread, plus that's what we're talking about now.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Here's a question I often think about:

If we were to get a Rocket Trainer character, similar to Pokemon Trainer, how exactly might it work?

Would it be modeled after one of the anime characters that have ties to the games? (Jessie, James, Giovanni, Cassidy, Domino?) Or a generic Grunt trainer? (Guy or girl or both).
Would the trainer have 3 pokemon or less?
Is Meowth a necessary inclusion to the team?
Would they have Pokemon from a specific generation, would they need to then be Generation One, or could they be cross - generational?

(Meowth/Gengar/Nidoking), (Scizor/Sneasel/Houndoom), (Meowth/Scizor/Zoroark)

Does the combination of Meowth, Arbok and Weezing even work?
Would a Team Magma/Aqua or whatever character be more appropriate/relevant?

Anyway you slice it, I think that a Rocket character would be a welcome addition and would be a proper Pokemon Villain.

There's also the possibility that I'm kidding myself and that this is the dumbest idea you've ever heard? Really I just want to talk about Scizor and Gengar whenever possible.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I played all 3 mother games and I'm a big fan, but what I'm saying he will mostly become a Mewtwo clone/semi-clone, because most of his attacks in both games are incomprehensible, most of the time it's a overwhelming physic attack that cannot be known in shape, form, and even name. While, Porky on the other hand links the two games who already have reps for the franchise, and has a boss battle to show how he can be seen in battle in Brawl. Personally my mother reps in most go in this order, Porky, Masked Man, Giegue, Ninten, other party members. I know most of them won't have a chance in smash. Yet, the top 4 are competing like crazy for the 3rd spot if there even is one.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
1. A Rocket Trainer would be filling the role of PT (Red) in which Red does it better.
2. There are more important characters to add, such as Mewtwo, Zoroark, ect.

?????????????

Smash Master
On the topic of a new Mario character...

I think I've said it before, but one of the main reasons I have a new Mario character in my own roster is because I don't think any series should have more characters than the Mario series, yet I would really like to see 5 Pokemon characters.

To be honest, I think Bowser Jr. has the best shot.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I played all 3 mother games and I'm a big fan, but what I'm saying he will mostly become a Mewtwo clone/semi-clone, because most of his attacks in both games are incomprehensible, most of the time it's a overwhelming physic attack that cannot be known in shape, form, and even name. While, Porky on the other hand links the two games who already have reps for the franchise, and has a boss battle to show how he can be seen in battle in Brawl. Personally my mother reps in most go in this order, Porky, Masked Man, Giegue, Ninten, other party members. I know most of them won't have a chance in smash. Yet, the top 4 are competing like crazy for the 3rd spot if there even is one.
That's why I mentioned Giegue could be added to Super Smash Bros only playing the role as a boss at least.

My order is Claus/Masked Man, Giegue, Porky, and Ninten.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
According to some random Earthbound wiki, Ness's resemblance to Ninten was left as ambiguous by Shigesato Itoi (the creator of Mother) intentionally. Ness is similiar to Ninten so the player can consider him to be the same character if he wants. However they are two separate characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom