• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I honestly wouldn't mind if Ganondorf still had some similarities to Captain Falcon. Some moves do fit Ganon well enough, and in Brawl he was de-cloned a bit. I just feel that he can be made even more unique from Captain Falcon if he had a few more differences. Maybe change his Neutral B change the angle of his Down B in the air. Give him a new Forward Smash too.

Also, I think Ganon should be much faster than he is in Brawl. I get that he is a heavy hitter, but he should be way more nimble than Bowser. Maybe he could be at Donkey Kong's speed.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Here's a good topic for Ganondorf:
If Ganondorf had to remain a clone, but a clone of someone else besides Falcon, who would it be?
I'd say Ike, I just think it fits.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Exactly. Really, the only moves that feel different for me are his Side Special and his Volcano Kick, they feel like they are actually his.

Don't forget the Sparta Kick, that move is sick. Heck, I even like his Down Air and Down A, those seem like some fitting moves for Ganondorf to use.

@Bidoof Yeah, if he was someones clone other than Falcon, Ike seems plausible. Not that I'd want it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Right! Ganondorf doesn't punch, kick, and grab post Melee. I also don't recall Captain Falcon doing anything racer related in Melee.

Just as new as Brawl Ganondorf.
Here's the thing though.

Sakurai made up the moveset for Falcon because there wasn't much to work with. Because, as you said, Falcon basically races. But that is the problem. Ganondorf, who is a character who has a massive array of powers, has been limited to basically a really ineffective form of martial arts. While he may use magic in his attacks, the magic people most likely want are his iconic magic attacks.

The magic volley from the OoT final boss fight, and in the phantom Ganondorf fights in Wind Waker are probably the best examples of this. It would be the perfect opportunity to have a projectile that can be struck back and forth between characters. I think that would be a rather cool mechanic.

As far as the ground pounding thingy, I think that could be implemented nicely. If they gave it the effect like Jax in Mortal Kombat, it would be pretty cool I think.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I must have missed the game where Ganondorf Falcon Kicks Link.
I missed the game where he chokes and magic punches Link,
Was that the CD-I games, or Twilight Princess.
Because Twlight Princess is one of this games where I find it too boring to beat, I have a couple others.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Here's a good topic for Ganondorf:
If Ganondorf had to remain a clone, but a clone of someone else besides Falcon, who would it be?
I'd say Ike, I just think it fits.
if we wanna use a sword, than Ike would b the way to go.
if we want him to be physical with a little bit of a magic basis to him, Lucario.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Then Ganondorf is fine how he is.
Note how I said a move, not an entire moveset.
It's okay for Ganondorf to have, let's say, a similar U-Special as Falcon just as much it is okay for Mewtwo to have similar N-Special as Samus.
It's not okay for him to have his entire moveset based on Falcon just as much as it isn't okay for, let's say, Palutena to have an entire moveset based on Zelda.

?????????????

Smash Master
Now, like I said, Brawl already made a lot of improvements in this area. The "Sparta Kick," as well as a lot of the other normal moves, as well as the Flame Choke, are all good references to the movements and abilities Ganondorf used in Twilight Princess.

But I think there's still enough strange stuff in there, like Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick. Why SHOULDN'T Ganondorf use an attack where he volleys magic instead? It's pretty iconic.

On top of that, Ganondorf's a pretty "weak" character in Brawl as he is with his lack of range, projectiles, speed, and jumping ability. A good projectile move would help.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Let's not forget the game where he electro Falcon Dives Toon Link.
Oh golly, how could I have forgotten that one! Remember when he found Tetra, and Falcon Shoulder-Bashes her? What an awesome game. So original!
Now, like I said, Brawl already made a lot of improvements in this area. The "Sparta Kick," as well as a lot of the other normal moves, as well as the Flame Choke, are all good references to the movements and abilities Ganondorf used in Twilight Princess.

But I think there's still enough strange stuff in there, like Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick. Why SHOULDN'T Ganondorf use an attack where he volleys magic instead? It's pretty iconic.

On top of that, Ganondorf's a pretty "weak" character in Brawl as he is with his lack of range, projectiles, speed, and jumping ability. A good projectile move would help.
Yeah, he really just needs range and a projectile. I don't think his speed is that bad, he could be a bit faster, but his overall mobility needs to be improved.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Let's just stop all this Ganoncrap stuff.
Let's be serious for 5 minutes!
So, who wants to critique my new roster?
image.jpg

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I see this thread is back to its old self (didn't last long... >_>), beating the same dead horse whose skeleton is probably the only thing left of it. Poor thing.

Ganondorf imitating Captain Falcon is something that makes no sense whatsoever when you consider most characters have moves inspired or even taken directly from their source material. Sakurai even admitted he only put Ganondorf in Melee because he was very requested and because he could use Falcon as a basis for the character. In fact, even Snake or any other human character could be a Falcon clone for obvious reasons.

Well... I spoke too much already. I'm outta here. Good night.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Or increased range with his trident.
How about as a FS, Ganondorf transforms into Ganon with a LTtP look.
But he stays that way like Samus and ZSS.
And in that form, he will look similar to DK except standing up straight.
He can use his trident in that form.
For his FS he summons minions then transforms back into Ganondorf.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well I'm going for the night.
Someone respond to my Ganon transformation idea
And someone judge that roster a posted earlier.
Judge it on creativeness.
It's for a fan game I'm making.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I see this thread is back to its old self (didn't last long... >_>), beating the same dead horse whose skeleton is probably the only thing left of it. Poor thing.

Ganondorf imitating Captain Falcon is something that makes no sense whatsoever when you consider most characters have moves inspired or even taken directly from their source material. Sakurai even admitted he only put Ganondorf in Melee because he was very requested and because he could use Falcon as a basis for the character. In fact, even Snake or any other human character could be a Falcon clone for obvious reasons.

Well... I spoke too much already. I'm outta here. Good night.

You and I both know that the skeleton is likely been turned into dust by now. Not that it matters, some of these said discussions can be fun in my opinion. I still stand by what I said earlier with Ganon. He can keep all of his unique moves in Brawl. Throw in some more unique attacks. And to top it all off make him much faster and give him the Dead Man's Volley(or as I like to call it "The Tennis Ball of Doom").

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How about as a FS, Ganondorf transforms into Ganon with a LTtP look.
But he stays that way like Samus and ZSS.
And in that form, he will look similar to DK except standing up straight.
He can use his trident in that form.
For his FS he summons minions then transforms back into Ganondorf.
Sounds good.

What I'd like to see if he had his Trident in his FS is him being able to use attacks similar to the ones he uses in Four Swords Adventures. Such as being able to send his enemies into a pit full of Stalfos and throw his Trident like a boomerang, leaving a trail of blue flames.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Let's just stop all this Ganoncrap stuff.
Let's be serious for 5 minutes!
So, who wants to critique my new roster?
View attachment 3910
Generic Chozo as a Metroid character instead of someone more notable....

I'm not even going to seriously critique Missingno, Harkanian, and similar characters...

Also, who the **** is Sugar Plumps?
Edit: oh. Very...random. Never heard of Little Inferno before.

6/10
Lots of characters (too many for a realistic number, though), but lots of slots that could've been used on better choices.

-----

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's another subject. Just in case Ganondorf is an old subject already.

I'd like to talk about my home slice :snake:

If we look at the fact that Sakurai put Snake in the game, against what his employer wanted, and defended the decision to add him to the game, what does that say to you? I see people allege that his friendship with Hideo Kojima is nothing to talk about, whereas I think it's incredibly important to be aware that they have a distinct friendship.

As I've said before, if Sakurai viewed Kojima as a schmuck, and thought that Metal Gear was unimportant, then it's probable that we wouldn't have seen Snake in the first place.

Not to mention, Snake meets essentially every single criteria.
1) Appeared on a Nintendo console
2) Made people want to play the game
3) Incredibly unique
4) Contributes to game balance

The first requirement does not mean you have to appear frequently. It just means that you had to appear on a Nintendo product, which he had, port or no port. He has a history (however small) with Nintendo, and it continued with the latest port of Snake Eater on the 3DS. So the fact that he is more "associated with Sony" is moot. He isn't a Sony character at all. He's a multiplatform legend.

Sakurai reserves 3rd party spots for what he considers "Legendary 3rd Party characters". So far we've seen Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man get introduced to the Smash Bros Universe. It makes complete sense for all three of them to be there. MGS is a series with a massive following, selling millions upon millions of copies per installment (save for the ports on the GCN and 3DS). If Snake were a character on the same plane as say the red bird from Angry Birds or Rayman or some other third party nobody, then it would be understandable for him to be cut.

Snake being a favor to Kojima is certainly a big part in why he got in. However, if Snake didn't have his own merits, there is no way in hell he'd get in the game. Sakurai most likely takes this series very seriously, because he keeps himself in line with his own guidelines. He isn't going to stuff the game with 3rd parties. He isn't going to stuff the game with 16 Mario characters. This guy knows what he's doing. He added Solid Snake as a complete shock character, and felt that he would generally be accepted by the fanbase.

I'd say he was right in doing so. :snake: !

?????????????

Smash Master
I think Snake has a fair shot at returning. His stance hasn't changed at all since he was introduced in Brawl.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
While not denying Snake's chances of returning, I still would like to see Simon getting in instead...

~You may say I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one...~

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's another subject. Just in case Ganondorf is an old subject already.

I'd like to talk about my home slice :snake:

If we look at the fact that Sakurai put Snake in the game, against what his employer wanted, and defended the decision to add him to the game, what does that say to you? I see people allege that his friendship with Hideo Kojima is nothing to talk about, whereas I think it's incredibly important to be aware that they have a distinct friendship.

As I've said before, if Sakurai viewed Kojima as a schmuck, and thought that Metal Gear was unimportant, then it's probable that we wouldn't have seen Snake in the first place.

Not to mention, Snake meets essentially every single criteria.
1) Appeared on a Nintendo console
2) Made people want to play the game
3) Incredibly unique
4) Contributes to game balance

The first requirement does not mean you have to appear frequently. It just means that you had to appear on a Nintendo product, which he had, port or no port. He has a history (however small) with Nintendo, and it continued with the latest port of Snake Eater on the 3DS. So the fact that he is more "associated with Sony" is moot. He isn't a Sony character at all. He's a multiplatform legend.

Sakurai reserves 3rd party spots for what he considers "Legendary 3rd Party characters". So far we've seen Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man get introduced to the Smash Bros Universe. It makes complete sense for all three of them to be there. MGS is a series with a massive following, selling millions upon millions of copies per installment (save for the ports on the GCN and 3DS). If Snake were a character on the same plane as say the red bird from Angry Birds or Rayman or some other third party nobody, then it would be understandable for him to be cut.

Snake being a favor to Kojima is certainly a big part in why he got in. However, if Snake didn't have his own merits, there is no way in hell he'd get in the game. Sakurai most likely takes this series very seriously, because he keeps himself in line with his own guidelines. He isn't going to stuff the game with 3rd parties. He isn't going to stuff the game with 16 Mario characters. This guy knows what he's doing. He added Solid Snake as a complete shock character, and felt that he would generally be accepted by the fanbase.

I'd say he was right in doing so. :snake: !
You just changed my perspective on a character that I once hated.
Good job Scoliosis. Good job.

?????????????

Smash Master
I like Simon A LOT. He would be my most wanted 3rd party character we've never seen in SSB. But I like Snake more.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm likin' more and more the idea that no one from Brawl gets cut. May or may not actually happen, but I don't think anyone in the Brawl roster is glaringly replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom