• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Let's say Cloud Strife appeared on a Nintendo console. What are his chances?
He actually appeared on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and KH: Re: Coded on the GBA and DS respectively, but he wasn't a main character in those games (and they weren't Final Fantasy games), so I doubt it counts for anything.

If he was the main character in an Nintendo FF game, I'd estimate his chances around...5 or 10%?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Let's say Cloud Strife appeared on a Nintendo console. What are his chances?
id say they'd be pretty good. he is one of the most popular characters from one of Squares biggest franchises. id say even if he had one starring role on a Nintendo console that would increase his chances significantly. but all in all, he hasn't. his only appearances are in Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and Theatrythm Final Fantasy. neither of which he stars in really. now im not a fan of FF but I know that so many people would go crazy for Cloud if he did join and he would be a very good character to have.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wait, Wait, Wait! Cloud technically DID appear on Nintendo Consoles? Then how does that not count!? Why is he not a likely nominee!? Just because he wasn't the main character? I don't think that's a reason!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wait, Wait, Wait! Cloud technically DID appear on Nintendo Consoles? Then how does that not count!? Why is he not a likely nominee!? Just because he wasn't the main character? I don't think that's a reason!
Wait a minute, Heavy appeared on a Nintendo console!
The WiiU! On the Internet Browser!
That has to count for something, right?

Well I guess I'm going.
And in my sleep I'll think of more reasons to justify my heavy thread.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well in Kingdom Hearts hes just a boss. not even all that difficult or anything.if u wanna count that go ahead. but in that case id personally say Sora would be the better choice as he is the main character in that game as well as multiple other at this point. while in theatrythm, it has literally every main FF character in it and no character takes precedence as its pretty much a rhythm game. his point is to just be there to represent his game as Theatrythym was made to celebrate I think the 25th anniversary of the series. he holds no more precedence than... hell pick a name.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wait a minute, Heavy appeared on a Nintendo console!
The WiiU! On the Internet Browser!
That has to count for something, right?

Well I guess I'm going.
And in my sleep I'll think of more reasons to justify my heavy thread.
Wait a minute, so I guess the Mods really mean they won't open my thread unless TF3 is for WiiU.
Looks like I'll have to go straight to the top, and I don't mean Sakurai.

DUNSPARCE! GET ME PLANE TICKETS TO BELLVUE, WASHINGTON!
GABE NEWELL HERE I COME!!!!!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Nobody answered?

"What if the next third party was...let's say...

...the Servant Grunt from Amnesia? :awesome:"

Also, Cloud being a boss in a game outside his own is a very weak argument suggesting he isn't likely or shouldn't be in.

(as for why Clould could be likely or should be in, or why he isn't likely or shouldn't be in, I don't know. I have nothing else to say on the matter as I don't know much about Final Fantasy)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Cloud hasn't had much significance to Nintendo, and that's all there is to it. There are better Nintendo-tied Square-Enix characters to choose from. The Dragon Quest Hero is still my personal choice.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
My biggest reason for doubting Cloud is that he isn't a sole mascot of Square-Enix. He is the poster-boy of Square's biggest franchise. How about Enix' biggest franchise, Dragon Quest? Since the Hero is, while not the mascot, the most important character of each game, I believe he fits best as an Enix representative.

Of coarse, there could be a special case for Cloud that completely overthrows my argument, but there's no way to predict whether or not such a thing shall occur.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, looks like I'm the only one still here.........................I wonder if I'd get banned if I made Smile Dog my icon (I'm not actually going to do that.)

Well, I should say something on topic so I don't get accused when people come back..................................um, would Mii take up more time than most characters?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
.um, would Mii take up more time than most characters?
Depends on the approach they go with.

If he's truly customizable. It'll take a LOOONG time.

If all you can change is weight than he wouldn't take too long.

D

Deleted member

So, what have I missed tod-

-sees last few pages-

I'll try again Monday. Forgot weekends tend to bring the most derp out of people.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Yet you clearly can't stand to have them playable and think it's an abomination for them to be in.
My personal opinion =/= Considering what others think.
Andy maybe. But, then there is also Starfy and so many other characters.
Andy was merely an example, Starfy would also be perfectly viable among other characters.
DLC should be for characters people want, but couldn't originally get into the original game. People like Dr. Mario & Pichu.
People do want those characters. Case Closed.
People do want those characters as alternate costumes.

Close Cased.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
At first, I didn't know why Heavy Weapons Guy was brought up in the first place, but then I realized this is the Roster Discussion Thread.

He has no chance, therefore he's not even worthy of being discussed. It's pointless to argue about a character that doesn't meet Sakurai's criteria. What's so hard to understand about this?

Before someone brings the "Sakurai can change his mind" argument, let's not forget that he was very strict regarding third parties. He clearly doesn't want to add any third party, since it would lose the focus of the game.

Sakurai said:
“I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena. However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down.”
So far, Sonic and Mega Man are in, but they are major video game characters, recognized both in and outside of Japan. Snake is the protagonist of the Metal Gear series, which is also a very acclaimed series and Snake is a well known character.

Heavy Weapons Guy has nothing of that, not to mention he's never appeared in Nintendo consoles. The fact that he comes from a Western game doesn't help either, since most Western games don't do well in Japan.

Long story short: Heavy Weapons Guy won't be in due to not meeting Sakurai's criteria and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
At first, I didn't know why Heavy Weapons Guy was brought up in the first place, but then I realized this is the Roster Discussion Thread.

He has no chance, therefore he's not even worthy of being discussed. It's pointless to argue about a character that doesn't meet Sakurai's criteria. What's so hard to understand about this?

Before someone brings the "Sakurai can change his mind" argument, let's not forget that he was very strict regarding third parties. He clearly doesn't want to add any third party, since it would lose the focus of the game.

So far, Sonic and Mega Man are in, but they are major video game characters, recognized both in and outside of Japan. Snake is the protagonist of the Metal Gear series, which is also a very acclaimed series and Snake is a well known character.

Heavy Weapons Guy has nothing of that, not to mention he's never appeared in Nintendo consoles. The fact that he comes from a Western game doesn't help either, since most Western games don't do well in Japan.

Long story short: Heavy Weapons Guy won't be in due to not meeting Sakurai's criteria and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.
Obviously, you didn't even read my Heavy thread.
I never said he would be in smash.
I said it would be really cool if he was.
I'm not an idiot.
Well, I'm not that big of an idiot l.

Also, are you a fun police in training?
image.jpg

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This ain't GameFAQs. Post your Heavy Weapons Guy thread over there, not here.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This ain't GameFAQs. Post your Heavy Weapons Guy thread over there, not here.
If Sakurai announces a non-Nintedo character that never appeared on a Nintendo console, my head will friggin explode.

So Venus said he closes threads to make SmashBoards a "professional" place.
He obviously never came to this thread.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You could have posted in that thread about impossible characters, not make a whole separate thread.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So now you're going to be angry at Smashboards because they shut down a day-old thread that may or may not have worked out anyway?
You have to take chances, and if they don't work, who cares?
When I opened up my Super Smashboards 4 Thread, I didn't know how well it would do or if it would get shut down. I was lucky enough to have it become pretty successful and last for about 2 weeks. They shut it down, but there was a reason. I was disappointed, but I love this blog. I'm not leaving because I think something's "unfair."
So you shouldn't either. Suck it up Bidoof, and turn the other cheek.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
He also said that Villager can't be in Smash Bros because he is too peaceful.
Now he's the most psychotic character in smash!
Leave it to all the people who drew up all of those Villager pictures. I don't think Nintendo ever meant for the Villager to be treated as a monster.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm pretty sure Sakurai should have a reveal sometime soon. It's been near a month and people on here are going crazy. The only sane group is the Wii U discussion page, but they're just talking about Pokemon. Everything else is in a shambles.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Obviously, you didn't even read my Heavy thread.
I never said he would be in smash.
I said it would be really cool if he was.
I'm not an idiot.
Well, I'm not that big of an idiot l.

Also, are you a fun police in training?
View attachment 3656
I did read your Heavy thread and it's blatantly obvious why it was locked. Then you acted butthurt here because your thread was locked.

If you want to suggest impossible characters and make jokes, this thread exists for that reason: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/which-impossible-character-do-you-want-to-see-for-smash-4.324357/

We're not GameFAQs where stupid threads are opened every day. These guidelines, rules and the "fun police" make these boards more respectable.

There are many characters I think they would be cool in Smash, but I know they don't have a chance and don't meet Sakurai's criteria and therefore, I don't open threads about them.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
If Sakurai announces a non-Nintedo character that never appeared on a Nintendo console, my head will friggin explode.

I close threads that break guidelines, pure and simple.

As for a topic, what are the chances of more than one retro character appearing? (Not counting Little Mac).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom