• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Thats 49 not 54, so its quite good. Not hefty at all (unless you were talking about alt forms then my apologies :p) the only problems I have are preferential which could realistically go either way. Characters like K Roolover Dixie, PM over bowser junior, etc.

Ridley is so up in the air I dont really care about that one (although I do put him in my rosters)
Yeah, I meant alternate characters. Not sure how many characters we will get, I don't know if we will get up to 50. But there's always a slim chance.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Yeah, I meant alternate characters. Not sure how many characters we will get, I don't know if we will get up to 50. But there's always a slim chance.
Its gonna be more than 40, less than 50 slots I would think. Im thinking it will be 45 slots, based on the rate at weve been getting characters. (12 in 64, 26 in melee, 35 in Brawl after cutting a few from melee, assuming no cuts this time, 45 is pretty reasonable

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On that note:
View attachment 3593
Here's my Roster. I took a big risk not putting in Ridley, but my defense is threefold:
  • While iconic and certainly deserving to be in as a playable character, I feel as if Sakurai has decided where Ridley's place in the game should be, as a boss. It's possible he may be promoted to playability, but I'm still doubtful.
  • While the Pyrosphere stage certainly does not deconfirm him, I do think that it may lower his chances. Sakurai could either be playing mindgames, or just telling us Ridley's role in the game, and I am guessing the latter.
  • In all, Ridley, to me, would be difficult to work on and a bit awkward. This is 100% bias, so you don't have to consider it. It's just my opinion, and I'd like it if you respect it.
The two big issues with my roster, in my opinion, is its size, which 54 total characters (alts included) is quite a hefty amount (I'd be surprised if we break 50), and the thought from some people that it is a bit "vanilla" and safe. Well, I think a good predictable roster doesn't have to be bursting with unlikely retros to be predictable. I fully believe Brawl wasn't that shocking as a final roster. Apart from some cuts, the shockers, IMO, were Pit, ROB, and to an extent the Pokemon Trainer. We've already gotten two shocking characters, so I expect maybe one or two more, but nothing to completely throw it off.

Thoughts?

It's still a good roster nonetheless. Even without Ridley. Not too sure about Takamaru though. But its hard to make any predictions on retro characters anyway.

Gune

Smash Lord
On that note:
View attachment 3593
Here's my Roster. I took a big risk not putting in Ridley, but my defense is threefold:
  • While iconic and certainly deserving to be in as a playable character, I feel as if Sakurai has decided where Ridley's place in the game should be, as a boss. It's possible he may be promoted to playability, but I'm still doubtful.
  • While the Pyrosphere stage certainly does not deconfirm him, I do think that it may lower his chances. Sakurai could either be playing mindgames, or just telling us Ridley's role in the game, and I am guessing the latter.
  • In all, Ridley, to me, would be difficult to work on and a bit awkward. This is 100% bias, so you don't have to consider it. It's just my opinion, and I'd like it if you respect it.
The two big issues with my roster, in my opinion, is its size, which 54 total characters (alts included) is quite a hefty amount (I'd be surprised if we break 50), and the thought from some people that it is a bit "vanilla" and safe. Well, I think a good predictable roster doesn't have to be bursting with unlikely retros to be predictable. I fully believe Brawl wasn't that shocking as a final roster. Apart from some cuts, the shockers, IMO, were Pit, ROB, and to an extent the Pokemon Trainer. We've already gotten two shocking characters, so I expect maybe one or two more, but nothing to completely throw it off.

Thoughts?
Has Lucario Megaman Ness and Luigi im satisfied.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Funny you mention that, because I'm PRETTY SURE I clearly stated that I'm perfectly fine with alternate versions of existing characters.
Yet you clearly can't stand to have them playable and think it's an abomination for them to be in.

Andy? Not deserving? I find that very hard to believe. Perhaps some evidence would assist your argument more on that part.
Andy maybe. But, then there is also Starfy and so many other characters. DLC should be for characters people want, but couldn't originally get into the original game. People like Dr. Mario & Pichu.

Why would anybody want that? If you're expecting someone to pay for additional content, should you make it something the consumer would want. Do you know what the general fan base of Smash doesn't want?

Clones / Semiclone characters.
People do want those characters. Case Closed.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Andy maybe. But, then there is also Starfy and so many other characters. DLC should be for characters people want, but couldn't originally get into the original game. People like Dr. Mario & Pichu.
Don't wanna get into it, but I'm pretty sure Pichu was legitimately cut. The only characters they attempted to bring back were Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy. Young Link was virtually replaced by Toon Link, while Pichu was cut in favor of other characters. I don't think they would bring back a character they did not want in the games at all. Characters like Roy and Dr. Mario would be perfect DLC.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
To be honest, I'm not surprised by that at all. The level of hype for Smash 4 really isn't all that great
You can never top the hype of
  • 11 highly requested characters
  • 5 characters form new Nintendo franchises/installments
  • The most popular and requested Pokemon (at the time)
  • The addition of Third-Parties
  • Sonic The ****ing Hedgehog
  • A second Metroid & EarthBound character
  • 3 Extra Pokemon & The Trainer
  • Completley unique characters like Olimar and Pokemon Trainer

Morbi

Scavenger
Don't wanna get into it, but I'm pretty sure Pichu was legitimately cut. The only characters they attempted to bring back were Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy. Young Link was virtually replaced by Toon Link, while Pichu was cut in favor of other characters. I don't think they would bring back a character they did not want in the games at all. Characters like Roy and Dr. Mario would be perfect DLC.
The evidence was fairly circumstantial, but I am an advocate of the Pra_Mai theory alluding to Plusle and Minun. Hence, Pichu would have a spiritual successor. I have no doubt that he was legitimately cut, he was the obvious one at the time (just as Pokemon Trainer is the overt option currently). However, if Plusle and Minun were intended to be in the game, he hasn't completely dismissed the notion of a smaller electirical rodent. In succession with this new Pikachu game, I truly believe that Pichu has a shot at returning. He isn't precisely the most difficult character to develop. Anyone that was a fan of a challenge or a Pikachu hater gravitated towards him. Now even if he was cut, I don't think Sakurai didn't want him in the game AT ALL. Roy would be in a similar scenario, yet the predictions are 50/50 for Roy. Pichu is really under-valued. It is like Toad, no one thinks it will happen, but the chance is still there. I still have faith.

In my POV, DLC should only go to cut characters. No new characters.
The development cycle of Smash isn't too long, maybe 3 years. Yet the games come out every... 6 years maybe. So that is a lot of absent time that they could be adding DLC and making money. I am not an advocate of micro-transactions, but Smash is one of those games that Nintendo should milk (if they are serious about making some money and a console seller).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The evidence was fairly circumstantial, but I am an advocate of the Pra_Mai theory alluding to Plusle and Minun. Hence, Pichu would have a spiritual successor. I have no doubt that he was legitimately cut, he was the obvious one at the time (just as Pokemon Trainer is the overt option currently). However, if Plusle and Minun were intended to be in the game, he hasn't completely dismissed the notion of a smaller electirical rodent. In succession with this new Pikachu game, I truly believe that Pichu has a shot at returning. He isn't precisely the most difficult character to develop. Anyone that was a fan of a challenge or a Pikachu hater gravitated towards him. Now even if he was cut, I don't think Sakurai didn't want him in the game AT ALL. Roy would be in a similar scenario, yet the predictions are 50/50 for Roy. Pichu is really under-valued. It is like Toad, no one thinks it will happen, but the chance is still there. I still have faith.
Very true. He certainly has a chance if Sakurai wants to plainly beef up the roster with a few more characters.

I just don't think Sakurai is trying to beef up the roster anymore. I think by this game he's just going to go for truly good, unique characters. Then again, Toon Link could destroy my argument, but you get my point... I think.

Morbi

Scavenger
You can never top the hype of
  • 11 highly requested characters
  • 5 characters form new Nintendo franchises/installments
  • The most popular and requested Pokemon (at the time)
  • The addition of Third-Parties
  • Sonic The ****ing Hedgehog
  • A second Metroid & EarthBound character
  • 3 Extra Pokemon & The Trainer
  • Completley unique characters like Olimar and Pokemon Trainer
Yes, yes they could. I honestly think the desecrated hype has less to do with what is in the game, and more to do with the console Smash 4 is coming out of. Most people expect an improvement on a sequel, or a new IP from the company. Smash 4 is literally going to be Brawl with minimal cuts, minimal additions, no story mode (casual cat nip), and improved graphics on a console nobody owns. At the time, everyone owned a Wii (it was the best selling console), there were tons of hype 1st party games coming out. This time, no one owns a Wii U, no games are out, and people were let down by Brawl. If they weren't left down, Brawl is certainly enough to satisfy them. They wont throw 300 dollars down for a game that is a spiritual successor.

I obviously know what you are getting at. Sonic's reveal this time was less staggering... actually it wasn't really surprising or hype at ALL. Obviously there will be less twists, but it has less to do with the characters and more to do with the game.

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
I just wanted to let everyone here know, I will be leaving SmashBoards until my Heavy thread is unlocked.
I find it unfair that users are not allowed to show creativity and make a thread for a character that probably won't be in Smash.
If people don't want to support the character, that's his/her own choice.
So if anyone needs me, I'll be on GamFaqs.
Dunsparce, if the thread is unlocked, call me.
Well you had a good run

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Isn't Krystal part of the top 10 requested characters?
It wasn't really that huge actually, it was just very loud. Believe it or not, Wolf was the more popular choice in long run, Krystal only started to show up based on a hyperbole over a statement regarding to Sakurai and female characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I love how people suggest that Dark Pit would have his own items and Krystal would have a staff, when according to patterns: Sakurai would not actually give them these things.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I love how people suggest that Dark Pit would have his own items and Krystal would have a staff, when according to patterns: Sakurai would not actually give them these things.
If Dark Pit gets in the game (somehow) as his own character, then he will probably be a clone, I'm not gonna lie.

I think Krystal has a good chance to be unique if she gets in. Characters like Falco and Wolf, he didn't have a huge arsenal to work with, they aren't the type of characters that are "bursting with moveset potential". Krystal does have something, she has the staff.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Well if Sakurai didn't give Dark Pit different items he'd most likely stay as a palette swap instead of the worst clone ever =P

Morbi

Scavenger
It would honestly be the same thing with Bowser Jr. they wont give him is paint brush or anything like that.

What if, hypothetically speaking, they never make any DLC characters for this game?

Maybe, maybe not.
It would only make my distaste for the game absolute. This isn't a yearly series. These games have (about) a 3 year development cycle and they come out (about) 6 years apart. It REALLY needs DLC to keep some players playing. I will play it regardless, but there really isn't much to the game to retain interest. The days I used to eat, breath, and sleep Smash 64 are gone. The days that I used to play Melee for hours EVERY day are long gone. The days I used to play Brawl a little bit every other day are gone.

The least Sora Ltd. could do is release characters that were cut in development. They have time, I honestly think that Nintendo could have released a Smash every 3 years instead. It wouldn't be considered "milked" and they might have sold some more Wii Us too. If they don't release DLC, I won't be distraught, I will be disappointed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Krystal has a good chance to be unique if she gets in. Characters like Falco and Wolf, he didn't have a huge arsenal to work with, they aren't the type of characters that are "bursting with moveset potential". Krystal does have something, she has the staff.
Apparently a rogue feral claw based combat in the form of Wolf wasn't good enough, because I will say that was admittedly distinctive. Krystal is going to fall into a similar type of thing Wolf had regardless on how you look at this, in fact all Star Fox characters are going to fall into that no matter what you do.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I just wanted to let everyone here know, I will be leaving SmashBoards until my Heavy thread is unlocked.
I find it unfair that users are not allowed to show creativity and make a thread for a character that probably won't be in Smash.
If people don't want to support the character, that's his/her own choice.
So if anyone needs me, I'll be on GamFaqs.
Dunsparce, if the thread is unlocked, call me.
Oh, I passed over this.

It is unfair, but I can see why they did it... So yeah. But I do firmly believe that even if he has no chance (and there really doesn't need to be a thread for him), it is a bit unfair. But I do see why the mods decided to do what they did.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good Evening all, hope you're all doing well as it's clear you people are bored out of your minds at the lack of subject matter to discuss. Everything and anything has been talked about to some extent at least once, and others were overtalked and brought back from the dead time and time again before people said "shut up" and buried that monster for good, or at least for the time being. Am I off or am I getting the gist of it?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The least Sora Ltd. could do is release characters that were cut in development. They have time, I honestly think that Nintendo could have released a Smash every 3 years instead. It wouldn't be considered "milked" and they might have sold some more Wii Us too. If they don't release DLC, I won't be distraught, I will be disappointed.

To be fair.... The New Super Mario Bros games are usually released roughly about every 3 years from each other and they are already considered milked after a few games. I think it's for the best if Smash stays a generational thing.

I'm not going into any New Super Mario Bros related debates though knowing how loathed this series this....

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, guys, who do you think the historical rep will be? Do you think we're getting a historical rep at all (like G&W and ROB)? My bets are on Daitoryo, personally.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Very true. He certainly has a chance if Sakurai wants to plainly beef up the roster with a few more characters.

I just don't think Sakurai is trying to beef up the roster anymore. I think by this game he's just going to go for truly good, unique characters. Then again, Toon Link could destroy my argument, but you get my point... I think.
I can definitely see Sakurai trying to add as many characters as reasonably possible, pushing the limits. If running out of time, I can definitely still see a few, last-minute semi-clones.

Morbi

Scavenger
To be fair.... The New Super Mario Bros games are usually released roughly about every 3 years from each other and they are already considered milked. I think it's for the best if Smash stays a generational thing.

I'm not going into any New Super Mario Bros related debates though knowing how loathed this series this....
I don't really know a thing about that, I don't play Mario any more. It has become old, it was never really a creative concept to begin with. I just wait for the generational ones like Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. However, that is no where near as milked as games like Call of Duty. I can see where people are coming from though. Even though Smash is successful, it doesn't really feel "special" coming out each generation. That is obviously subjective.

Good Evening all, hope you're all doing well as it's clear you people are bored out of your minds at the lack of subject matter to discuss. Everything and anything has been talked about to some extent at least once, and others were overtalked and brought back from the dead time and time again before people said "shut up" and buried that monster for good, or at least for the time being. Am I off or am I getting the gist of it?
It has been like this for awhile, I don't mind though. I can talk about the same topics over and over again while being satisfied. Hopefully we get an announcement next week. Most people are probably still busy playing X and Y. Haha.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It has been like this for awhile, I don't mind though. I can talk about the same topics over and over again while being satisfied. Hopefully we get an announcement next week. Most people are probably still busy playing X and Y. Haha.
Really? Even with a busy life and College, I've still had time to fully complete both games and have a full level 100 team on both versions. I can't even replay them until Pokemon Bank comes out so I can transfer my pokemon over to X and continue to replay Y, as I prefer Yveltal to Xerneas (Or as I fittingly nicknamed mine, Ragnarok)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So, guys, who do you think the historical rep will be? Do you think we're getting a historical rep at all (like G&W and ROB)? My bets are on Daitoryo, personally.
Any Hanafuda concept can happen, but Daitouryou seems the most the most definite concept for now. The other choices I see are Harry or Diskun.

Morbi

Scavenger
[quote="MorbidAltruism, post: 15937421, member: 221172"It has been like this for awhile, I don't mind though. I can talk about the same topics over and over again while being satisfied. Hopefully we get an announcement next week. Most people are probably still busy playing X and Y. Haha.
Really? Even with a busy life and College, I've still had time to fully complete both games and have a full level 100 team on both versions. I can't even replay them until Pokemon Bank comes out so I can transfer my pokemon over to X and continue to replay Y, as I prefer Yveltal to Xerneas (Or as I fittingly nicknamed mine, Ragnarok)[/quote]

I don't know how long it takes an average player to beat Pokemon. I know I took my time and caught every Pokemon in the game (minus maybe a dozen) and defeated the Elite 4 in 30 hours. It was exactly 30 hours. I was proud. I also have a pretty busy college schedule, but I played all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I finished it Monday after my classes. I am a hardcore player though. You never know, it could take somebody a month to beat the game if they only play an hour a day. My sister hasn't beaten her file yet.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I don't know how long it takes an average player to beat Pokemon. I know I took my time and caught every Pokemon in the game (minus maybe a dozen) and defeated the Elite 4 in 30 hours. It was exactly 30 hours. I was proud. I also have a pretty busy college schedule, but I played all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I finished it Monday after my classes. I am a hardcore player though. You never know, it could take somebody a month to beat the game if they only play an hour a day. My sister hasn't beaten her file yet.
It doesn't take long, and since X and Y remove the need of grinding a full team to balance levels with the almighty EXP. Share, breezing through the game is really simple to do. And really? Being able to play all Friday, Saturday AND Sunday? Where do you go to college and when can I sign up? I'm lucky to get a few hours to myself to play ANY game in said three days. Hell, even when I'm on here, I'm almost always multitasking, very rarely ever just focused on the thread.

Edit: By the way, congrats on 2,000 posts! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom