• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Then it's not overly difficult, no?

Keep in mind, I like Dillon, but I just don't think he's likely. I'd like to be proven wrong, but he doesn't seem all that much like an all-star to me. It's the same reason I don't like characters like Saki being suggested for Smash. Are they cool? Sure. Are they Nintendo all-stars? No.
Dillon, Saki, and plenty of other characters are just as much "Nintendo all-stars" as the Ice Climbers, Falco, and Lucas.

If any other characters get an actual costume (or in Villager's case, also gender swap) swap instead of a color swap, I'd want Outset Link and Mr. L.
I'd like the Purple Wind/Thief Wario outfit from Wario: Master of Disguise.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Dillon, Saki, and plenty of other characters are just as much "Nintendo all-stars" as the Ice Climbers, Falco, and Lucas.
Ice Climbers were a retro character.
Falco and Lucas were second characters for a pre-existing series.

I don't see them as popular enough to warrant their inclusion, especially if they're bringing in an entirely new series with them.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Ice Climbers were a retro character.
Falco and Lucas were second characters for a pre-existing series.

I don't see them as popular enough to warrant their inclusion, especially if they're bringing in an entirely new series with them.
I see your point, I just don't like the "muh allstar" argument because of what the back of a box says.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I see your point, I just don't like the "muh allstar" argument because of what the back of a box says.
Explain, please?

What I'm basically saying is that there are far more important characters to be considered that are actually Nintendo all-stars, such as Mewtwo and Ridley, that simply out-prioritize Dillon. If it's a choice between Dillon and a more popular character, I'm going to choose a more popular character.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
that's actually the one of the main points to include them.
they will bring mildly popular franchise to get more representation in smash. they'll be expanding to much weaker but important parts of Nintendo's history. and who knows what might happen if they end up in the roster.(hey just Saki being an assist trophy is enough to bring back sin & punishment, imagine what dillion might do)

D

Deleted member

Imagine what Dr. Mario would do. :troll:

Thank you! I'll be here all night!
(not really; I'll eventually go to sleep)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
that's actually the one of the main points to include them.
they will bring mildly popular franchise to get more representation in smash. they'll be expanding to much weaker but important parts of Nintendo's history. and who knows what might happen if they end up in the roster.(hey just Saki being an assist trophy is enough to bring back sin & punishment, imagine what dillion might do)
Which is something that someone else pointed out earlier; we should not be looking at what being in Smash Bros. will do for a series, we should be looking at what the series can bring to Smash Bros.

While inclusion in Smash Bros. would obviously help a series grow, it's not what Smash is about. The only series that I see as having gotten in for the sake of increasing its popularity was KI, as Sakurai wished to revive the series. What other series has been included for that reason?

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Which is something that someone else pointed out earlier; we should not be looking at what being in Smash Bros. will do for a series, we should be looking at what the series can bring to Smash Bros.

While inclusion in Smash Bros. would obviously help a series grow, it's not what Smash is about. The only series that I see as having gotten in for the sake of increasing its popularity was KI, as Sakurai wished to revive the series. What other series has been included for that reason?
(thinks heavily)
you win there, pacman
but, dillion can still bring something to smash, while a part of his move set has been done (more or less) by sonic, he'll probably add more western influence to the game, he is also one of the most workable and popular characters (more or less) from the Nintendo eshop, and would perfectly represent it.
(saki I got nothing for, let someone else talk about him)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
(thinks heavily)
you win there, pacman
but, dillion can still bring something to smash, while a part of his move set has been done (more or less) by sonic, he'll probably add more western influence to the game, he is also one of the most workable and popular characters (more or less) from the Nintendo eshop, and would perfectly represent it.
(saki I got nothing for, let someone else talk about him)
Haha, I guess I'll take that victory.

I do agree that, if any character gets in that originated from the e-shop, it should be Dillon. He's one of the more popular e-shop characters out there, and moveset potential is not a problem.

(though I've honestly always found the Wild West thing a bit bland, since I live in it. You tend to become more fond of something when it's not part of your history class.)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The only series that I see as having gotten in for the sake of increasing its popularity was KI, as Sakurai wished to revive the series. What other series has been included for that reason?
Fire Emblem 6? Not a series, but part of it nonetheless.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Rather than directly doing a favor to the series, I kind of see Smash Bros as a way to simply show various lesser known series to people, so that they could at least acknowledge their existence. If people start to show interest in said series, a possible revival might happen, but I feel that is more of an afterthought than something that was planned from the get go.

Oh, and I've got this:
oc25-001.png

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
whelp mates, it has been a fun night with you guys, but it appears to be past midnight and I have to hit the good old wool mat so I can get back to the books in the morning, before I leave this picture and a statement with you guys

wake me up when a wolf O'Donnell reference is made

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
whelp mates, it has been a fun night with you guys, but it appears to be past midnight and I have to hit the good old wool mat so I can get back to the books in the morning, before I leave this picture and a statement with you guys

wake me up when a wolf O'Donnell reference is made

Can't let you do that, son.

Rather than directly doing a favor to the series, I kind of see Smash Bros as a way to simply show various lesser known series to people, so that they could at least acknowledge their existence. If people start to show interest in said series, a possible revival might happen, but I feel that is more of an afterthought than something that was planned from the get go.
I agree with that.
I see SSB as sort of a "museum" of sorts, that shows various parts of Nintendo's history, including obscure ones, although I don't know if it impacts a character's chances. I don't think I would've known about games like Cubivore, Custom Robo, Card Hero, or Kuru Kuru Kururin if it wasn't for Melee.

-----

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It does the series the favor of putting it among other Nintendo all-stars and, as such, making it seemingly important. Keep in mind, though, the only times that this has happened were when the series was a retro series or the character was representing something historic. Otherwise, any character in Smash Bros. has some reason to be there other than simply to make it popular. I do think references in the form of assist trophies, normal trophies, stages, or stickers are strictly for showcasing Nintendo's history or for referencing a lesser known series, though.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Okay, I need to rectify myself.

Success of a series due to Smash Bros. has happened with KI and FE.
Well you need to ad Earthbound too, because of the Virtual Console release, without Ness and Lucas in Smash probably the game will not have so many sales.
.n_n.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So guys if you need to choose one which one will you choose?
Dillon or Muddy Mole?
.n_n.
dont make me choose

you horrible person

---

The point was that you hate alternate versions of characters. So I hope it was.
Funny you mention that, because I'm PRETTY SURE I clearly stated that I'm perfectly fine with alternate versions of existing characters.
I wouldn't consider them just lower priority, I would consider them characters that don't deserve to be playable in the first place and don't fit in (even as DLC). I don't think they would have priority in the first place even if there were 60 slots.
Andy? Not deserving? I find that very hard to believe. Perhaps some evidence would assist your argument more on that part.
I can agree with Krystal to an extent, but she still is a popular character choice (Besides, it was merely an example anyways).
Are you saying people would prefer less characters over more characters??? Are alts that bad?
I am suggesting that people would prefer the characters you specifically mentioned as alternate costumes.
Keep in mind I don't see completely different characters as something that should be DLC. I feel those completely different characters should either be available from the start or not at all. I feel DLC should be for planned/removed characters and alternate versions of existing characters. (And no I don't think Krystal & Andy will ever be planned characters, thus I don't think they'll be planned DLC either.)
You're basically saying DLC should mainly be restricted to having only clone / semiclone characters. Why would anybody want that? If you're expecting someone to pay for additional content, should you make it something the consumer would want. Do you know what the general fan base of Smash doesn't want?

Clones / Semiclone characters.

Case closed.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I suppose so.

For me, while I personally believe Saki and Dillon would most likely not be in this game, I am definitely open to the possibility of being proven wrong. Taking as many reasonable possibilities into account is the best way to ensure that I don't get easily surprised.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
So hey guys, have you seen the Golden Joystick awards?
Apparently a game I didn't even knew it's existance(Witcher 3: Wild Hunt) won over SSB4 in the "Most Wanted Game" award.

I know they're just silly prizes but... what the hell? :dizzy:

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'm not surprised by that at all. The level of hype for Smash 4 really isn't all that great, especially compared to the mass hype that was built around Brawl. Other than a few characters, there hasn't been anything major announced that could bring hype to the masses, at least, not yet. I feel as though they are waiting for 2014 to arrive, then they will start the reveal more of the good stuff as the game gets closer to release. As for now, there isn't much to warrant Smash earning that award.

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
Well ... stll recovering from being sick with Strep throat, but i'm popping in to say.. my psychic powers are telling me they will be confirming Ness or Lucas next week on Halloween

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well ... stll recovering from being sick with Strep throat, but i'm popping in to say.. my psychic powers are telling me they will be confirming Ness or Lucas next week on Halloween
My L0TUS powers are telling me not to get excited and just go where the river takes me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Confirming Lucas on Halloween would probably be the most ironic choice possible. He's small, cute, meek, and timid, a bit of a contrast from what Halloween is all about.

Then again, expecting something on Halloween to begin with is too rash.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Halloween eh? maybe we can have a character or King Boo as a Boss or a Luigi's Mansion stage but most probably it will be a crappy Luigi screenshot.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
most likely we'll see something that has to do with luigi's mansion (wether it be the stage, or the poltergeist)
though I'll love to see ness or Lucas confirmed (mainly Lucas so I can stop worrying that he'll be cut)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom