• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Better chances than Roy, but it could be Robin. /blunt.
Yeah. I'm confident of an Awakening rep, but I don't really know which one they'll choose. Robin would be difficult to include, so they might avoid MU, but it could still be done.

I'd call it a tossup between Chrom and MU, with Lucina as a less likely third due to her extreme similarities to Marth visually and Anna as an extremely distant fourth who is only in the running due to being something akin to a series mascot who was made into a "fighting" character by Awakening.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As much as it would suck to see Ike get taken out, It seems possible that he'll be cut. Most likely in favor of Chrom or "Robin". Though it's still somewhat possible that he'll be playable along with Chrom and Marth. Also I personally don't see Roy coming back. I dunno I feel like he had his chance. And the only reason I see Ike coming back is that he's quite popular outside of Smash, from what I understand. And he has a more standout moveset from Marth.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As much as it would suck to see Ike get taken out, It seems possible that he'll be cut. Most likely in favor of Chrom or "Robin". Though it's still somewhat possible that he'll be playable along with Chrom and Marth.
I really could see FE bump to three slots, but it's far from certain. If it bumps to 3 slots it'll most likely be because of Awakening's popularity, which virtually guarantees an Awakening character that third slot.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I also don't think that the argument of "too many blue-haired swordsmen!" has any merit regarding who will be included. Hair color is such a trivial part of character design to harp on about. Hair shape, outfit, weapon, voice, personality; these are what make characters different. Ike and Marth feel like they have almost nothing in common despite both of them having blue hair.

Might as well complain about multiple blonde-haired princesses.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
See, I am really against ideas like this, because what's to stop people from trying to use Miis in casual offline play even if they're banned from tournaments? Absolutely no character should be made with the intention of not being balanced. I don't want to end up having to deal with people throwing fits because I don't want them using their super special OP custom Mii in casual play.

I'm also against customization in this much depth because that will require the team to divert a hell of a lot of resources to the Mii, and I'd rather see those resources spread more evenly among a wide cast of newcomers. Even just balancing the Mii for varying heights would be difficult.

An Awakening rep's chances have always been better than Roy's, and with that reveal they just got even better. For my money, Ike is sweating out keeping his spot against an Awakening rep.

Totally fair point about the online... I dunno. Maybe you could set the match settings to disallow customized characters.

If it's assumed that the Miis aren't balanced characters, though, the Mii would take a lot less time to be incorporated than your average character, even with customization options. But yes, I'd also rather see the resources be spread to actual character-characters as well.

I seriously feel like putting in the time to make character slots have alternate costumes/characters would solve a lot of the Fire Emblem problems. They'd only have to have the story include the primary character (Chrom or whoever) but then still have have reps from all around. All it'd take is an alternate model with colors, one session of voice acting, and a tiny amount of programming.

Combine Marth+Lucina+Chrom, combine Ike+Priam, and combine Roy+Eliwood. It'd work out just fine, I think.

Edit: I think the blue-haired thing has some merit, but not too much. I think Smash is a good opportunity to show that Fire Emblem isn't just filled with the same character over and over again... however, the problem with that is that Fire Emblem is filled with blue-haired sword using protagonists. That's the issue with having protagonists be the descendants of other protagonists.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I seriously feel like putting in the time to make character slots have alternate costumes/characters would solve a lot of the Fire Emblem problems. They'd only have to have the story include the primary character (Chrom or whoever) but then still have have reps from all around. All it'd take is an alternate model with colors, one session of voice acting, and a tiny amount of programming.

Combine Marth+Lucina+Chrom, combine Ike+Priam, and combine Roy+Eliwood. It'd work out just fine, I think.
Yeah, for certain. Marth and Chrom might be a bit tougher to combine, but you absolutely could combine Lucina and Marth with ease to get an Awakening rep without bumping out another FE character.

Really hoping that they go whole hog on alt character skins this time.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Why does everybody think robin has such a high chance now? I mean up until the reveal everybody thought he/she was less likely than Chrom, Roy, Lucina, lyn, or even Anna. Now he suddenly skyrockets to just as likely as Chrom? And everybody thinks that cuts such as Ike, toon link, lucario, and snake are much more likely now, all after one reveal. It funny because this is my exact mindset :colorful: I think people are starting to agree with me!

Personally I'd like both robin and Chrom, but would rather have Chrom because over the past few weeks I have spent so much time defending him that I've grown rather attached to him. Any body see robin and Chrom both making it (though that would cause Ike to get cut which would make me sad)

Also different characters on one slot has alternate costumes is a horrible idea. It's a costume not a face swap. If they were to don the other characters clothes it would be more reasonable, but still wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, especially for like Ike who already has a multitude of in game costumes to choose from. And anyway, until Priam has his own game he isn't a major character, and I doubt he will have his own game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Also different characters on one slot has alternate costumes is a horrible idea. It's a costume not a face swap. If they were to don the other characters clothes it would be more reasonable, but still wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, especially for like Ike who already has a multitude of in game costumes to choose from.
Lucina's outfit is more or less exactly the same as Marth, and she wears a mask and pretends to be him for part of the game. Couldn't be easier to do an alt costume for Marth that represented her; he already sounds like a girl, after all. :p

Why does everybody think robin has such a high chance now? I mean up until the reveal everybody thought he/she was less likely than Chrom, Roy, Lucina, lyn, or even Anna. Now he suddenly skyrockets to just as likely as Chrom? And everybody thinks that cuts such as Ike, toon link, lucario, and snake are much more likely now, all after one reveal. It funny because this is my exact mindset :colorful: I think people are starting to agree with me!
I think Robin's less likely because people get so attached to their MU that they would be disappointed if the Smash version doesn't match theirs. Nintendo will want to avoid that. Sure, they could just do default male MU or put a hood over MU's head, but let's be real, that latter option is pretty lame.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I agree that throwing Marth+Chrom together seems a bit hard, but they are related and supposedly are wielding the same weapon. In theory their combat styles aren't identical, but I feel like putting relatives in the same slot seems the best way to throw alt characters in.

Robin could also be Robin (Male), Robin (Female), Robin (hooded) and... I dunno, some other magic user, haha.

I've given up trying to predict what Sakurai will do... At this point, I can only say what I would do and just wait and try to be pleasantly surprised.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Lucina's outfit is more or less exactly the same as Marth, and she wears a mask and pretends to be him for part of the game. Couldn't be easier to do an alt costume for Marth that represented her; he already sounds like a girl, after all. :p

I think Robin's less likely because people get so attached to their MU that they would be disappointed if the Smash version doesn't match theirs. Nintendo will want to avoid that. Sure, they could just do default male MU or put a hood over MU's head, but let's be real, that latter option is pretty lame.
I think Marth with a masked Marth outfit has a good chance of happening, but not as Lucina. I just think masked Marth would be awesome.

To be completely honest, hood Robin sounds alright... I think what they would do is have one costume for each of the six body types (with different hair and such, no recolors) and then one with just the hood. And then the jacket would be a different color for each too. I don't know it really would be hard to incorporate the whole idea of robin.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hooded and shadow-faced Robin would make the character look utterly evil, which would be a total misrepresentation of the character and greatly confuse anyone who hasn't played Awakening. Thematically it just doesn't work.

FourStar

Smash Ace
idk with the wii fit trainer now in the game anything is ****ing possible. hell we can get chun li for all we know

D

Deleted member

Hooded Robin (which reminds me of that character from Super Mario Bros. Super Show) makes a lot of sense.

At this point, if we're to get an Awakening character, it's pretty damn hard to determine who it would be.
Chrom
Lucina
Robin
Tharja
Anna

And then we have non-Awakening characters like the veterans Marth, Ike, and Roy, as well as other characters people talk about.

Wish we'd get a confirmation already to spare the wars.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hooded and shadow-faced Robin would make the character look utterly evil, which would be a total misrepresentation of the character and greatly confuse anyone who hasn't played Awakening. Thematically it just doesn't work.
Oh, kinda like how Villager is misinterpreted as a psychotic serial killer, amirite? :awesome:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Oh, kinda like how Villager is misinterpreted as a psychotic serial killer, amirite? :awesome:
There's a difference between fan headcanon and a theme deliberately conveyed by the game itself through obvious and recognizable visual cues. Shadowy hood over face screams "evil" and would juxtapose very oddly with default Robin's pretty upbeat voice and personality.

Hooded Robin also does nothing to solve the problem of still needing to a declare a gender, so it ultimately fails at preserving the ability to imagine Robin as your MU, which is the only argument for a hood in the first place.

If they want to include Robin, better to just include default Robin instead of beating around the bush with efforts to accommodate every FE:A player.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's a difference between fan headcanon and a theme deliberately conveyed by the game itself through obvious and recognizable visual cues. Shadowy hood over face screams "evil" and would juxtapose very oddly with default Robin's pretty upbeat voice and personality.

Hooded Robin also does nothing to solve the problem of still needing to a declare a gender, so it ultimately fails at preserving the ability to imagine Robin as your MU, which is the only argument for a hood in the first place.

If they want to include Robin, better to just include default Robin instead of beating around the bush with efforts to accommodate every FE:A player.
Or they could not beat around the bush and just add the actual protagonist of the game, Chrom.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I also don't think that the argument of "too many blue-haired swordsmen!" has any merit regarding who will be included. Hair color is such a trivial part of character design to harp on about. Hair shape, outfit, weapon, voice, personality; these are what make characters different. Ike and Marth feel like they have almost nothing in common despite both of them having blue hair.

Might as well complain about multiple blonde-haired princesses.
Or "too many white girls", which is another complaint in regards to WFT other than just being underserving. Sometimes, I wonder if Kamiya is right about Smash Bros. fans being idiots. -_-

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I agree that throwing Marth+Chrom together seems a bit hard, but they are related and supposedly are wielding the same weapon. In theory their combat styles aren't identical, but I feel like putting relatives in the same slot seems the best way to throw alt characters in.

Robin could also be Robin (Male), Robin (Female), Robin (hooded) and... I dunno, some other magic user, haha.

I've given up trying to predict what Sakurai will do... At this point, I can only say what I would do and just wait and try to be pleasantly surprised.
So by that logic, Mario and Luigi should share the same slot.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Or they could not beat around the bush and just add the actual protagonist of the game, Chrom.
Which I think is the most likely option, and one I'd prefer to see over MU. MU isn't an "avatar" character in quite the same sense as Villager or Mii, but 1-3 avatar characters (if you count Miss Fit and believe Mii is in) are quite enough.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh, I'm fine with the hooded avatar seeming evil... I actually would want Evil Avatar as an alt. I'd probably just want the hooded/evil avatar to be unabashedly male. There's no real solution that'd leave people happy, but... well, at least there are solutions that'd leave me happy. :p

The difference between Mario & Luigi and the FE characters is that (usually) FE descendants are actually designed to be remarkably similar to their ancestors. Mechanic changes in between the relatives aren't a change of the characters, but a change in the unit class. The ancestors pass down both their talents and their weapons.
Also, while the Bros have had a number of games to differentiate themselves, most FE characters aren't present in multiple games, and even when they are they usually aren't in essence very different from their previous portrayals.

So, in short: Relatives in general in the same character slot? No. Fire Emblem ancestors/descendants? Yes.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
So by that logic, Mario and Luigi should share the same slot.
I like you.:lick: I was literally thinking the same thing.

And also in regards to the whole blue hair thing, Mario, luigi and wario literally have the exact same costume with different colors fit to their body proportions. So three guys having blue hair and that being the only similarity doesn't matter, especially 3/4 of the lords have blue hair anyway.

The difference between Mario & Luigi and the FE characters is that (usually) FE descendants are actually designed to be remarkably similar to their ancestors. Mechanic changes in between the relatives isn't a change of the characters, but a change in the unit class. The ancestors pass down both their talents and their weapons.
Also, while the Bros have had a number of games to differentiate themselves, most FE characters aren't present in multiple games, and even when they do they usually aren't in essence very different from their previous portrayals.

So, in short: Relatives in general in the same character slot? No. Fire Emblem ancestors/descendants? Yes.
No... Just no. Please no. Marth and Chrom being in the same slot... No. Lucina as an alt... No. Priam as an alt... He's cool but god no. Eliwood as an alt... Maybe but I doubt that would happen.

The only thing I could or want to see happening in regards to "descendants as alt costumes" is masked Marth costume for Marth, but it would not be canon masked Marth (in other words Lucina) but it would be Marth with a mask on and in his awakening costume. His regular costume will probably be his shadow dragon costume. His awakening costume kind of makes him look like a sissy, like Ike.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
So IGN have run an interview with Sakurai with some new developments. Tripping's removed, no DLC is planned and the final names are SSB Wii U and SSB 3DS. There's also a chance that the two games may not be released on the same day, apparently there's some more problems on the 3DS than Wii U version.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-smash-bros-will-not-use-touch-screen-controls
Finally, as the above article shows there's no touch screen controls.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
1. I do expect at least one more character announced before the E3 week is over

2. Does anyone think the Wii U and 3DS rosters will have at least a certain amount of exclusive characters? Just asking because Villager and Wii Fit Trainer both don't have any 3DS pics. On top of the handheld and console exclusive stages. Like maybe the 3DS version will have more handheld characters and the Wii U version will have more console characters. Quite a few people I have seen think this might be the case.
I honestly believe the rosters will be the same. The "poster" of villager going for the smash ball thats on the main site has both logos on it, pointing at him being in both. Sakurai's words were some what vague saying same total amount but then he went on to say there would be different stages not different number of stages, seriously might just be a translation thing here, feels to me like he IS talking same exact roster with some exclusive stages. If there was a different roster he would have said so clearly like he did the stages.

Also Villager and WFT may only have wiiU pics because they haven't finished programing them into the 3DS yet and therefore no finished pics of that. I haven't heard anyone make this point yet and we are talking about an unfinished game...2 unfinished games being developed at the same time so don't count out the fact that characters in the game might not be finished yet.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I guess the name would be too long if it was called, for example: Super Smash Bros. Fisticuffs for 3DS/ for Wii U.

I mean, they do have to set them apart, to avoid confusions between versions.

Anyway, the name isn't really of my concerns. If anything, them saying that this is Brawl meets Melee halfway, kind of sounds like SSB (64) to me. So the name is fitting in my opinion.

Would it be unproffessional if it was named Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U/3DS instead?

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Let me kill myself. :smash:
Lets be honest here super smash bros clash, rumble, dazzle-dazzle etc. sound lame. Super smash bros wii u and 3ds is fine, although super smash bros u and super smash bros 3d would've sounded better.

No Super Smash Bros Universe or Super Smash Bros Rumble?
That's...bland.
"Oh I'm getting super smash bros rumble" "what system is that for?" <<< reasoning behind the name.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
Need help?
Yes, do you have the suicide hotline number on you. :(

But on a serious note, why can't they come up with proper title for these games? All they gotta do is google search synonyms for "melee" or "brawl" and pick a name.

Edit: It seems as though the above posters have made me change my opinion. :estatic:

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I'll take the generic sounding names as they've taken out tripping. To be honest, after Brawl all the decent sounding synonyms had been used up and they needed two of the things. Yeah it sounds awful but asking a friend 'do you want to play smash?' has always been my chosen method of proposing a round of SSB.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I find it nice that currently one of the most liked pictures drawn on miiverse so far is a drawing of Lloyd.

Come on Sakurai, you know you want him instead of Pacfreak >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom