• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The Mii's saving grace would be if it was a customized character.

I do not view the Mii as any parallel to Wii Fit Trainer solely because of being part of the Wii series games. Miis are Miis; they're fricking EVERYWHERE. Wii Fit Trainer specifically represents Wii Fit.
While Villager covers the "random attack usage" motif (which had been done before through Mr. Game & Watch), Miis have more to work with because, again, they're EVERYWHERE.
That being said though, Mii as that one character that you essentially "make" seems very plausible. Especially since, going by what the leaker said, it is "your" Mii.

So like Mario Kart, I feel there may be something like a "Smash License" where you choose the Mii to represent it; that Mii is the one you play as by default. (Though, others that have been customized can be used as well through download; possibly part of that "level up and transfer" gimmick Sakurai mentioned last year.)
At least that's how I see the possibility.

Yeah, I agree with this all around (including the part about the Villager sharing G&W's shtick). The customizable option seems best, since the available gimmicks seem taken.
I like the concept of the Mii having a fairly generic standards moveset and then some heavily customizable specials and stats.

-You have points to spend in the character's speed, weight/size, power etc.
-You can individually assign the four specials to the Mii, taken from any character you've unlocked
-Assumed to not be tournament legal or balanced.
-Either be saved via player names (Smash License, essentially) or via each individual Mii.

It could be really fun to create as broken of a character as possible and throw them against your friends' broken characters.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
So who are we ranking as "most likely"? I honestly can't tell because I don't know what to expect. I'll be posting my new prediction roster shortly.

Alright, here it is:

Chrom is exchangeable with Roy, as I now do not see Fire Emblem getting two. I am going to believe the rumor and include Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac.

Takamaru is removed because my confidence in him has been shriveled down to very little, but we won't know until it is official.

Comments?
Swap Shulk for Takamaru and I think it's close.
But like people have said, it's really a toss up between K.Rool and Dixie now.
Not sure about Chrom either. Robin seems slightly more in line with the sort of reveals we're getting so far.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Sakurai says the TOTAL chars of 3DS and WiiU game will be the same. But he doesn't confirm that all will be the same, did he ?
If doesn't , I still believing completely in my roster.( -K.Rool, +Dixie).

He can make some smart moves like choose Falco in 3DS and Wolf for the WiiU game, put one new rep for Mario in 3DS and other in WiiU ...
Amazing possibilities.At least it's a nice market move, making people take the 2 versions.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai says the TOTAL chars of 3DS and WiiU game will be the same. But he doesn't confirm that all will be the same, did he ?
If doesn't , I still believing completely in my roster.( -K.Rool, +Dixie).

He can make some smart moves like choose Falco in 3DS and Wolf for the WiiU game, put one new rep for Mario in 3DS and other in WiiU ...
Amazing possibilities.At least it's a nice market move, making people take the 2 versions.
Well Pokemon has been doing it for ages.

I just hope we can get version exclusive characters on the other version somehow.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I love how before the reveals, everyone was saying that king k and takamaru and shulk were so certain to be in this game now everyone is going back on their words. It's kind of laughable since most of you were so certain they were shoo-ins especially the first 2. At this point the only ones I would be surprised if they didnt make it are Chrom, palutena, and mewtwo but that's it the rest is up for grabs.

Swap Shulk for Takamaru and I think it's close.
But like people have said, it's really a toss up between K.Rool and Dixie now.
Not sure about Chrom either. Robin seems slightly more in line with the sort of reveals we're getting so far.
Not all of the reveals are going to be like this you know. I'd say that Chrom is the second most likely newcomer now especially due to his having a stage directly from his game already announced. I also don't think his announcement is far off.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What do you guy's think of exclusives such as Toon Link for the Wii U version and Young Link for the 3DS version? Both have the same moves but their design's are exclusive to their respective consoles.

Of course there is little point to that but still I guess...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not all of the reveals are going to be like this you know. I'd say that Chrom is the second most likely newcomer now especially due to his having a stage directly from his game already announced. I also don't think his announcement is far off.
I'm not so sure. *Looks at Smashville in Brawl*

Regardless, the stage is awesome.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not so sure. *Looks at Smashville in Brawl*

Regardless, the stage is awesome.
That was a stage because Sakurai wasn't sure if to make an Animal Crossing character playable due to their atmoshpere being peacefull at the time, but he still wanted to represent the series somehow. Of course he changed his mind afterwards. I guess a better comparison would be the Skyloft stage yet the lack of Skyward Sword designed Link being playable. (Unless he's an alternate costume of Twilight Princess design Link I guess...)

1. I do expect at least one more character announced before the E3 week is over

2. Does anyone think the Wii U and 3DS rosters will have at least a certain amount of exclusive characters? Just asking because Villager and Wii Fit Trainer both don't have any 3DS pics. On top of the handheld and console exclusive stages. Like maybe the 3DS version will have more handheld characters and the Wii U version will have more console characters. Quite a few people I have seen think this might be the case.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Great, a lot of people predicted those two. Do you know how many people so far in the history of Smash have predicted the Wii Fit Trainer? As far as we can tell, only one person, a day before they were revealed, also predicting the other two that were revealed, and claiming to have known the information last week (which at this point seems pretty true).
Eh, each to their own I guess. Just dropping my two cents like everyone else is :p

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I honestly feel like Shulk might be more likely then Takamaru at this point. Especially since it's been confirmed that Nintendo Land doesn't mean anything. (Balloon Fighter ability for the Villager)

I also see A Link Between Worlds Link being used instead of Toon Link. (I already said this lol)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So who are we ranking as "most likely"? I honestly can't tell because I don't know what to expect. I'll be posting my new prediction roster shortly.

Alright, here it is:

Chrom is exchangeable with Roy, as I now do not see Fire Emblem getting two. I am going to believe the rumor and include Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac.

Takamaru is removed because my confidence in him has been shriveled down to very little, but we won't know until it is official.

Comments?
I would put Dixie over King K. Rool, and there's no retros anymore (Assuming Little Mac is no long one, and the fact Sakurai wanted more retro characters), you should really add a retro. Maybe either Takamaru and /or Prince Sable.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah I can see Dixie instead of K.Rool only for the fact that they sort of made K.Rool irrelevant with both new DKC games. (Hey, I still like K.Rool). And them reintroducing Dixie Kong in Tropical Freeze. (But this will be like 1 of... tops 3 supporting characters to be introduced, I wager)

I don't see Roy over Chrom, but I can see a scenario with both Roy AND Chrom. Roy sporting his Melee moveset, but emphasizing on his most unique abilities. Meaning, Marth will keep playing like Brawl Mart, but Roy will keep playing like Melee Roy, but with tweaked moves, and perhaps new ones (for example, a different Sword Dance).

EDIT: Shulk seems fine. XD

Toon Link, IMO is a definite go. Either in favor of Young Link from "Link Between Worlds" or just to cut down on Zelda characters. (Then there's always Tingle, the Skyward Sword villain, or heck, even Impa, but I honestly see either YL or No 4th Zelda rep, over these last three. Again, what I feel).

Palutena seems like a likely candidate. One of the few supporting characters I think we'll be seeing this time.

Ridley... Well here's the thing: I feel Nintendo thinks they owe Metroid fans something. They ignored the Metroid Anniversary celebration. And Metroid Other M wasn't exactly a critical success... So they will want to make up for us Metroid fans, and I see Ridley as the way to do it. (Along with the return of Zero Suit Samus, Other M style just for trollz)

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I'm not so sure Shulk will be in the roster, Sakurai sounded a bit too picky with 3rd parties when he was talking about Mega Man. "I don't simply allow ANY 3rd party character to be in Super Smash Bros." Sounds to me that it needs to be more than just a successful IP on a Nintendo platform. It sounds to me that it has to be of legendary status. And I'm not sure Xenoblade achieved that. I could be wrong, as I haven't played it. XD
Just so you know, Shulk is 1st Party.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Why does everyone keep thinking that Shulk is third party? Lol
Because Monolith Soft used to be third-party. There are people who still aren't aware that Nintendo bought a lot of the company, and that Xenoblade was developed after the switch.

Speaking of which, is The Last Story an Nintendo game, or a third-party game?
It doesn't seem to be developed by a company related to Nintendo; the game was only published by Nintendo.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because Monolift Soft used to be third-party. There are people who still aren't aware that Nintendo bought a lot of the company, and that Xenoblade was developed after the switch.

Speaking of which, is The Last Story an Nintendo game, or a third-party game?
It doesn't seem to be developed by a company related to Nintendo; the game was only published by Nintendo.
It's a Nintendo IP, as is Pandora's Tower.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mistwalker (Last Story devs) are third-party with a shared second party Nintendo IP, just like Platinum, Treasure, TOSE, etc.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh this takes me back to 2006-7-ish with all the Brawl hype, and me investigating characters all around, learning which suggestions were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd party.

Can't believe it's that all over again.

It's great that this feels so much more civil than back then too. (Though that might be because it was a different forum back then. Nsider I believe).

I might end up making my own predicted roster soon. Feels like I'm late to the party though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
SO, now that N3ON has informed me that Arena Ferox is in the 3DS version, what do we think of Chrom's chances now?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
No body ever wants to think that SSB4 may remove some characters from Brawl. I think it's extremely likely a few won't return.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No body ever wants to think that SSB4 may remove some characters from Brawl. I think it's extremely likely a few won't return.
I think it's a bit too early to tell if that will be the case.

On a seperate note, Sakurai also will be going against a past notion that Mii's are "too casual" for Smash.

That would be two things he has gone against. Maybe Ridley is number 3.:awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SO, now that N3ON has informed me that Arena Ferox is in the 3DS version, what do we think of Chrom's chances now?
I think there are many ways to represent a game without needing to give it a character. Just because we got an Awakening stage doesn't mean we'll definitely get an Awakening character, though there's a decent chance.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is a little amusing how some people seem to be in denial over the looming possibility of Chrom getting in SSB4 over Ike and Roy and they are grasping onto the "just because there's a stage doesn't mean there will be a character!" argument.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really hope they don't cut anybody and include Chrom. At this point, it at least wouldn't make sense to me to include Roy and then a stage from the newest game. But that's just me.

I don't care if it's 3 Blue Haired Swordsmen. I see Chrom getting in over Roy. I suppose more info would be needed to make a proper assumption, but for now this is what I think.

not to mention a majority of the lords from FE are blue haired or sword users, so it isn't a false representation like most think.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm no Fire Emblem expert (only played AND beat Shadow Dragon). But I think Chrom is a likely candidate seeing how successful it was worldwide. (Series was going to end if it didn't do well).

As for Roy... well... if Sakurai feels it's not too much trouble to bring back the scrapped characters, then why not? I'd leave his Melee moveset, but make his attacks knock you away in akward angles to make up for his lack of power.

Any ideas when they might reveal a new character (damn I'm spoiled...) I heard today's the last day of E3 and we might get some last minute surprise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It is a little amusing how some people seem to be in denial over the looming possibility of Chrom getting in SSB4 over Ike and Roy and they are grasping onto the "just because there's a stage doesn't mean there will be a character!" argument.
Until every stage we get in Smash has a corresponding character from that game, it's a valid argument.

Plus someone in denial probably wouldn't say there's a decent chance of an Awakening character. :smirk:

Any ideas when they might reveal a new character (damn I'm spoiled...) I heard today's the last day of E3 and we might get some last minute surprise.
Probably later today, but if not... then probably not for a while. Don't know what to make of that "leak" if we don't get those newcomers revealed relatively soon.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Because NO ONE was removed in the transition from Melee to Brawl, right? :smirk:

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing analogous characters either removed or being console exclusive assisting in the expansion of roster diversity.

Sakurai already said the roster won't be enormously larger than Brawl's.

D

Deleted member

Stage = character?

Nintendog confirmed!
Or at the very least a Nintendogs + Cats inspired version of Sakurai's Cat. :smirk:
(Which then advertises for the next version of the game which features the Scottish Fold breed of cats :troll:)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Stage before a character, character before a stage.

Anything can happen this time. We got a PIctochat stage back in Brawl, and we got Captain Falcon + Ness in the original SSB. Both cases were standalone.

As for revealing a stage before a character.... I need to refresh my memory, but wasn't the Fire Emblem castle in the trailer before either Ike or Marth were revealed back in Brawl?

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I think the fact that they revealed arena ferox this early speaks a lot for chroms inclusion as well. At least I think. But I'm starting to think that maybe we will get a character that directly correlates with the stage, in which case a flavia and basilio combo is confirmed :troll:

I had a thought. What if Marth had an unlockable masked Marth costume and to unlock it you have to do an event where you have to defeat masked Marth at arena ferox with Chrom. I would love that.

Also has arena ferox been shown for both systems or just 3ds?

EDIT: you guy's stage examples area bogus. What you think we would have gotten a picochat character? A hanenbow character? Or a nintendog in 4? The reason Chrom is different is the fact that he is a viable character option. Villager or Tom nook could've been in brawl but sakurai said otherwise. So unless sakurai says something against his inclusion, it's looking pretty likely.

FourStar

Smash Ace
ok so now that we saw the trailer did anyone notice the boxing ring as one of the stages? I'm almost absolutely sure that is for little mac and that HE WILL be in the next game

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
ok so now that we saw the trailer did anyone notice the boxing ring as one of the stages? I'm almost absolutely sure that is for little mac and that HE WILL be in the next game
Possibly. But that stage clearly has a Smash Bros. logo on it, so i'm not sure that that is his stage.

But i'm sure that he will be announced soon.

Fire Emblem is a series that already has representation in playable form, so seeing that stage is kinda different from say Pictochat, Electroplankton or NIntendogs.

It was just a thought too. There isn't anyway to prove it at this point.

D

Deleted member

After Wii Fit Trainer, claiming someone like a Nintendog as unviable is stupid. :laugh:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

He HAS to be! :D He's more than earned his right to be in this game now.

And I like his new design a thousand-fold more than Brawl's.

I'm almost possitive that the Smash Logo in the boxing ring is either just a placeholder texture, or the stage is called SMASH CIRCUIT.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, I agree with this all around (including the part about the Villager sharing G&W's shtick). The customizable option seems best, since the available gimmicks seem taken.
I like the concept of the Mii having a fairly generic standards moveset and then some heavily customizable specials and stats.

-You have points to spend in the character's speed, weight/size, power etc.
-You can individually assign the four specials to the Mii, taken from any character you've unlocked
-Assumed to not be tournament legal or balanced.
-Either be saved via player names (Smash License, essentially) or via each individual Mii.

It could be really fun to create as broken of a character as possible and throw them against your friends' broken characters.
See, I am really against ideas like this, because what's to stop people from trying to use Miis in casual offline play even if they're banned from tournaments? Absolutely no character should be made with the intention of not being balanced. I don't want to end up having to deal with people throwing fits because I don't want them using their super special OP custom Mii in casual play.

I'm also against customization in this much depth because that will require the team to divert a hell of a lot of resources to the Mii, and I'd rather see those resources spread more evenly among a wide cast of newcomers. Even just balancing the Mii for varying heights would be difficult.

An Awakening rep's chances have always been better than Roy's, and with that reveal they just got even better. For my money, Ike is sweating out keeping his spot against an Awakening rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom