• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Honestly I'm fine with any WTF characters as long as I get Shulk, Takamaru, and Saki...

I'm not getting any of those, am I? :/

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Honestly I'm fine with any WTF characters as long as I get Shulk, Takamaru, and Saki...

I'm not getting any of those, am I? :/
Shulk has a good chance, everybody seems to think takamaru is a shoo-in, but I really don't know. Saki is looking like he doesn't have a great chance but you never know, especially with how things are going so far.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Villager - I think is awesome. I thought he'd be in Brawl, but that obviously didn't happen.

Megaman - Amazed at how well he fits and his moveset.

Wii Fit Trainer - My favorite newcomer thus far.

Mac - I expect to see, if the rumor is true. I'd like to see him regardless.

Mii - Again ,someone I'm expecting. With what I've seen of Villager and Trainer, I think this'll be another fun character.

Pac-Man - *shrug* I don't really mind him either way.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know what to think about Takamaru. He might be a second retro( assuming Little Mac were to be in as one, which is arguable). But we won't know until he is confirmed/proven to be excluded.

Shulk...I again don't know. I'm a huge supporter. But for some reason, the first reveals have my confidence in several characters shrinking in size.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai was referring to a retro that has yet to be revived as the one he's chosen, it's not going to be Little Mac. Little Mac doesn't count as a retro anymore, same as Pit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Villager reaction - Yay! Sakurai changed his mind! OMGANAXEUSERYES. (I always had a soft spot for the Villager, and felt AC should get a rep)
Mega Man - wean wfgn we jgwegwgvdcv cxt4rtg 4 2tgn 24tig. Except I screamed it. Maybe add an extra sdgj as for good measure. Hype.
Wii Fitness Trainer - Wat. WAT. And then I proceeded to laugh. Quite the WTF character.

on the leak

Little Mac - YAY! One of my most wanted newcomers!
Pac Man - My response. I actually like him, but he isn't exactly a top priority for me.
Mii - Normally I wouldn't mind. But after the Villager and WFT? He/She/It/They just seem(s) redundant.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I don't know what to think about Takamaru. He might be a second retro( assuming Little Mac were to be in as one, which is arguable). But we won't know until he is confirmed/proven to be excluded.
Little Mac had forsaken his retro status four years ago for a wii game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Little Mac had forsaken his retro status four years ago for a wii game.
Yes I know. I honestly don't even know why I didn't just delete that out of the comment.

Hmmm...I think we'll honestly have to wait for the next 3 to be revealed to make a proper assumption of anything. Who knows, if this rumor is true, that doesn't mean it's everything. There could very well be one or two others that the leaker didn't know about.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the leaker accidentally put Pac man instead of Lloyd. Common mistake right? Come on Lloyd, I'm still pulling for yah.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Little Mac: Great choice. i think he's a good Nintendo icon and would be a very solid choice.
Pac-Man: he's always been my third party choice. i see it pretty likely given how much emphasis Namco is putting into that series this year and even before that just his icon status in general. i definately want him
Mii: I've never had an issue with them. they do feel somewhat redundant now however i wouldnt say their inclusion is impossible.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai was referring to a retro that has yet to be revived as the one he's chosen, it's not going to be Little Mac. Little Mac doesn't count as a retro anymore, same as Pit.
I honestly doubt Takamaru counts as one as well, considering that he has, in a way, already been revived. I've been saying this for awhile, but I only see Mach Rider making sense as that choice.

Yet we could very well know of six newcomers tomorrow and we don't know how many more additions will be made. It just seems that much harder to see two retro reps this time around and now I know I have to pick between one of them for my next prediction roster.

One thing is for certain, the scene is going to be really, really heated for other newcomers; especially if the leak regarding Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii gets confirmed very soon.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
One thing is for certain, the scene is going to be really, really heated for other newcomers; especially if the leak regarding Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii gets confirmed very soon.
I actually think it could maybe be better for newcomers if we get 6 reveals at E3. 6 reveals suggests a roster size increase and reveal pace comparable to that of Brawl's, which gave us 18 new characters in total (16 if you count PT as one announcement). Brawl revealed 5 characters at E3 with roughly a year left on its development cycle, and SSB4 is probably looking at a similar amount of time remaining in development.

They wouldn't drop over half the roster of newcomers at E3 with over six months minimum to go, which means that 6 reveals out of an indeterminate larger number quite possibly results in more newcomers overall than 3 reveals out of, say, 10 or 12.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Shulk...I again don't know. I'm a huge supporter. But for some reason, the first reveals have my confidence in several characters shrinking in size.
Not just the Smash reveals, but the new Monolith game seems void of Shulk and the Monado.
Shulk getting in was kind of reliant on at least the Monado being a recurring fixture for Nintendo.

Shulk and Takamaru both still have good odds.
Nah Shulks chances have been shattered by the X reveal.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
If we do get a new reveal I'm hoping it can maybe be the new Mario rep if there is one, or Lloyd even though that might not happen at all. Ridley would be nice to know if we are getting him or not. Or king k. Rool. So if there is another reveal. This is what I hope to see for it.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Whenever I see Mike Jones brought up, I can't help but think of the awful rapper...

It's a pity he wasn't given a better name. In any case, I think it's very unlikely we'll get any retro West-only characters.

But, hey, who knows?

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
I keep watching the wii fit trainer trailer and I can't stop laughing. I wasn't even annoyed when she was announced. Please some one from Nintendo release another trailer so I can put my mind on something else so I don't laugh to death.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I honestly doubt Takamaru counts as one as well, considering that he has, in a way, already been revived. I've been saying this for awhile, but I only see Mach Rider making sense as that choice.

Yet we could very well know of six newcomers tomorrow and we don't know how many more additions will be made. It just seems that much harder to see two retro reps this time around and now I know I have to pick between one of them for my next prediction roster.

I don't think cameos and an appearance in Nintendo Land really count as a series revival, considering none of those games were actually part of the series. In any case, I would agree that it might not be Takamaru (though tbh I think his greatest competition - which I also agree is Mach Rider - is leagues below him in likelihood), but him not counting as a retro is questionable any way you want to look at it, unlike Mac and Pit, who have clearly been revived.

And I've been saying that about including two (standard) retro reps for a long time... :p;)

But yeah, considering a handful of these confirmed and supposed newcomers aren't ones we predicted or had a lot of popularity, the competition for the rest of the actual usually discussed candidates seems to be a lot tighter, I agree. Unless there's some aspect of the roster Sakurai hasn't revealed yet...

Nah Shulks chances have been shattered by the X reveal.
Not really, the original protagonist usually remains the most (or one of the most) popular and tends to become the face of the series. Unless X's protagonist gets multiple titles (which wouldn't effect SSB4 anyway), Shulk still has the edge over him I'd say.

What if the retro character turns out to be Mike Jones...
If it leads to a new StarTropics I won't complain. But it's not gonna happen.

And actually I'd rather have a new Takamaru game anyway. Or a new Mach Rider game.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
For now the Sonic fans should pray Sonic is back (I think he is in a good place), and for the love of god Sonic fans should never mention Tails,Knuckles and Shadow.... Sakurai said it himself , that they are very careful when it comes to third party...

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Not really, the original protagonist usually remains the most (or one of the most) popular and tends to become the face of the series. Unless X's protagonist gets multiple titles (which wouldn't effect SSB4 anyway), Shulk still has the edge over him I'd say.
While I don't disagree with that, it isn't my reasoning for why I think his chances are lowered.

Most of us expected X to be a sequel to Xenoblade and see the return of the Monado (if not Shulk too). That would have made the Monado user a regular Nintendo character type and would warrant a SSB slot.
Now that we know the Monado user was a one time deal (for now) there is no more reason to think Shulk has an especially good shot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While I don't disagree with that, it isn't my reasoning for why I think his chances are lowered.

Most of us expected X to be a sequel to Xenoblade and see the return of the Monado (if not Shulk too). That would have made the Monado user a regular Nintendo character type and would warrant a SSB slot.
Now that we know the Monado user was a one time deal (for now) there is no more reason to think Shulk has an especially good shot.
People thought Shulk had a good shot before X was even announced. Sure if it is related to Xenoblade it helps his chances, but he has enough going for him if it isn't to still be a possibility. Couldn't say that for the X protagonist yet though.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
People thought Shulk had a good shot before X was even announced. Sure if it is related to Xenoblade it helps his chances, but he has enough going for him if it isn't to still be a possibility. Couldn't say that for the X protagonist yet though.
I agree he still has a real chance.
But it's nowhere near the chance he would've had if it became a staple series like we thought it would.
He's gone from being one of the my most expected to probably less than likely.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So who are we ranking as "most likely"? I honestly can't tell because I don't know what to expect. I'll be posting my new prediction roster shortly.

Alright, here it is:

Chrom is exchangeable with Roy, as I now do not see Fire Emblem getting two. I am going to believe the rumor and include Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac.

Takamaru is removed because my confidence in him has been shriveled down to very little, but we won't know until it is official.

Comments?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So who are we ranking as "most likely"? I honestly can't tell because I don't know what to expect. I'll be posting my new prediction roster shortly.
I stand by Ridley, Mewtwo, Takamaru, and Palutena. K. Rool has taken a small hit I'd say, but his chances are still pretty good imo.

And Little Mac ofc, but I'm not counting him anymore.

D

Deleted member

I'll wait until confirmation before I post my new roster or make my predictions again. Let's hope they come tomorrow...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Takamaru is removed because my confidence in him has been shriveled down to very little, but we won't know until it is official.
Why? It's not like we've gotten another retro in his place. Little Mac isn't the retro in question.

Other than that your roster's pretty good. Actually on the small side.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'll wait until confirmation before I post my new roster or make my predictions again. Let's hope they come tomorrow...
Is there any sort of notion that anything is getting revealed tomorrow? Or are people just guessing at this point?

@N3ON, honestly, I don't know. I just have a feeling.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

Alright, here it is:

Chrom is exchangeable with Roy, as I now do not see Fire Emblem getting two. I am going to believe the rumor and include Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac.

Comments?

While your rosters are great as always I would change it just a touch by adding Isaac and Takamaru.

D

Deleted member

Is there any sort of notion that anything is getting revealed tomorrow? Or are people just guessing at this point?

@N3ON, honestly, I don't know. I just have a feeling.
I think if the rumor is true that we will most likely see Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii confirmed tomorrow.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thoughts on newcomers!

Confirmed:
Villager: "...Wait....What? But he said... He went back...THAT'S AWESOME!!!!"
Megaman: "I was kinda expecting it to be honest, but nevertheless: FDHAFEWNFJWIEFJNEKWAGTWHRIREWNKRQL!!!11!1!"
Wii Fit Trainer: At first. "FECK NO! I hate life..." But after I while I learned to love her. She's just so wacky! I love it.

Uncomfirmed:
Little Mac: If he got it, Megaman might have competition for my new main!
Pac-Man: Eh... He's okay. I'd prefer Lloyd but... I won't complain here. He's earned it too.
Mii: Before Villager and WTF I was for them...But afterwards I kinda don't want them anymore. I can't really explain it. Although I can't really understand why they get so much hate.

D

Deleted member

The Mii's saving grace would be if it was a customized character.

I do not view the Mii as any parallel to Wii Fit Trainer solely because of being part of the Wii series games. Miis are Miis; they're fricking EVERYWHERE. Wii Fit Trainer specifically represents Wii Fit.
While Villager covers the "random attack usage" motif (which had been done before through Mr. Game & Watch), Miis have more to work with because, again, they're EVERYWHERE.
That being said though, Mii as that one character that you essentially "make" seems very plausible. Especially since, going by what the leaker said, it is "your" Mii.

So like Mario Kart, I feel there may be something like a "Smash License" where you choose the Mii to represent it; that Mii is the one you play as by default. (Though, others that have been customized can be used as well through download; possibly part of that "level up and transfer" gimmick Sakurai mentioned last year.)
At least that's how I see the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom