• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Add:

Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia) - I guess he's a big possibility but Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game and I'd love to see a rep in smash bros, his special techniques could be pretty cool transfered into a smash game.

Robin (Fire emblem Awakening) - I'd actually prefer this to Chrom as Robin can use swords and magic, giving a more diverse moveset to a fire emblem character, since they all just use swords thus far in the smash series...and I believe I read somewhere that customization is something they want to really focus on, why not allow us to choose between male or female Robin, maybe even be able to change their look like the presets in Awakening, who knows.

Mewtwo Awakened Form (Pokemon) - He doesnt HAVE to replace Lucario, but I'd love Mewtwo to come back with a new look and some new moves. And since lots of people want the original Mewtwo that could be an alternate color/outifit for him, shouldn't affect the moveset as Mewtwo doesn't look TOO different now.

Professor Layton - Probably bias because I love the games but I think they could make him fit in a fighting game, he could make it. Besides being a great fencer he hasn't shown any other real fighting skills and his character wouldn't toss him into a fight so if he doesn't make it i wont be heartbroken. I'd love tossing hint coins at people though :3

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) - Another Donkey Kong rep, we already have two Kongs, who needs Dixie?

Matthew / Isaac (Golden Sun) - Hopefully we get a playable Golden Sun rep, it's a great series and they could really do some great stuff with a full moveset. I'm talking sword attacks, unleashes, psynergy, djinn and maybe even summon Judgement as is Final Smash?

Krystal (Star Fox) - A female staff user would be pretty awesome, I love Fox but he and Falco are so similar...and Wolf is cool as well but still, I think Krystal could add more.

Waluigi (Mario) - I just think he deserves a spot, people hate him but I think he's awesome and could be a fun character.

My two cents, I haven't posted here in a long time, it's great to be back and see all this discussion :)

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Noler, it's Smashboards. You clearly missed Brawl's leaks where anyone with a ten inch pole said "___" is gonna be in the game and is actually believed for another 6-60 pages. No joke.
I didn't miss them I was just in fifth grade, way to young to know and predict things in brawl. Everything that happened I was just like "ohhhh cool!! Waluigi and knuckles should TOTES be in this game. Oh nd I saw a leak that master chief is in the gaem. kooooowll." But now I'm going into my junior year so I'm not as much of a ****head little kid.

And none of brawls leaks were true right?.... Right? I mean if there is a high potentiality of leaks being true, I might have to leave the site, nothing against you guys but I reeeeally hate leaks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And none of brawls leaks were true right?.... Right? I mean if there is a high potentiality of leaks being true, I might have to leave the site, nothing against you guys but I reeeeally hate leaks.
There were four leakers that collectively but separately leaked the whole roster (they each had different info that together painted a complete picture of the roster) a few months before the game released, however there were so many false prophets no one believed them any more than the others fake leakers, for the most part. Serebii (who was one of the four) was an exception, as he already had quite a reputation.

There is a good chance of there being leaks again eventually (technically we might've already had one), but the closer we get to release the harder it'll be to tell which ones are true, as there will be such an abundance of fake ones, so they might go unheeded again.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Bah! You're just mad Wii Fit Trainer can beat you into shape.
WFT is fine. I didn't know about the leak before she was unveiled. But I sure as hell don't want 3 more characters announced today especially those three. I haven't waited this long to get 3 meh characters (pacs, WFT, mii) and 3 characters I don't have an opinion on (although meggs and the VILLain look great)

I want somebody who will both make people pee their pants and is first party. That means Ridley or Chrom or king k. Or even a mewtwo rereveal.

There were four leakers that collectively but separately leaked the whole roster (they each had different info that together painted a complete picture of the roster) a few months before the game released, however there were so many false prophets no one believed them any more than the others fake leakers, for the most part. Serebii (who was one of the four) was an exception, as he already had quite a reputation.

There is a good chance of there being leaks again eventually (technically we might've already had one), but the closer we get to release the harder it'll be to tell which ones are true, as there will be such an abundance of fake ones, so they might go unheeded again.
I actually do remember the serebii one, I had been a serebii reader since I got my pearl version. Still kinda am, just to get info on the new mons. Wasn't it that a sticker said that lucario could use it? I also seem to recall a picture of the whole roster, though I remember it being blurry.

But that frightens me a lot. I hate leaks because I always remember them, every single one. I'll stay on the site for now, but if this leak turns out true I'm gone I can't handle that kind of pressure.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I definitely see this happening:

It's probably too much, but it's realistic in terms of number of characters in each series.
Disregarding roster size, four KI characters is hardly realistic in terms of number of characters in each series. And a lot of your misc. choices are pretty... unlikely. So are six third-parties.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Disregarding roster size, four KI characters is hardly realistic in terms of number of characters in each series. And a lot of your misc. choices are pretty... unlikely. So are six third-parties.
Well I added the 6 third parties if Sakurai wanted to satisfy all people with the 2 third-party veterans back again.
And the misc represents:
Dillon- EShop
Prince Sable- Gameboy
Mii- Well probably the Mii (lol)
AR Man- AR Games
Wii Fit Trainer- Wii Fit
Villager- Animal Crossing
Edit: I only added 4 characters to KI because I believe Sakurai will go full on with his new KI characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I actually do remember the serebii one, I had been a serebii reader since I got my pearl version. Still kinda am, just to get info on the new mons. Wasn't it that a sticker said that lucario could use it? I also seem to recall a picture of the whole roster, though I remember it being blurry.
That wasn't Serebii, that was just a trailer that accidentally confirmed Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Ness. Also seemed to validate Serebii's claimed leak, that Mewtwo was gone and Lucario was in.

Aren't bayonetta and red hero second party? Although I still doubt bayonetta after her developers angry words toward smash fans.
Bayonetta is third-party, Wonder Red is second-party and counts as a Nintendo character.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
That wasn't Serebii, that was just a trailer that accidentally confirmed Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Ness. Also seemed to validate Serebii's claimed leak, that Mewtwo was gone and Lucario was in.

Bayonetta is third-party, Wonder Red is second-party and counts as a Nintendo character.
Well regardless I definetly remember seeing those picture on serebii. He probably posted both, maybe he didn't put his specific leak on his website. And I didn't see sonic so I guess that does equate to 6. Although I don't quite understand how red hero is second party and bayonetta is third when they are both wii u exclusives and are both being made by platinum.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I added the 6 third parties if Sakurai wanted to satisfy all people with the 2 third-party veterans back again.
And the misc represents:
Dillon- EShop
Prince Sable- Gameboy
Mii- Well probably the Mii (lol)
AR Man- AR Games
Wii Fit Trainer- Wii Fit
Villager- Animal Crossing
Edit: I only added 4 characters to KI because I believe Sakurai will go full on with his new KI characters.
He didn't care about satisfying all the third-party requests last time. We didn't get Geno, Mega Man, Bomberman, or many of the other popular requests back then.

And where do you get off being so sure we'll get a gameboy and eShop rep? When has Sakurai expressed any interest in a rep specific to a system or platform, other than retro/classic characters, which encompass a time period, not a specific system.

And the AR games hardly had the same impact Wii Fit did, I wouldn't count on it, but who the hell knows anymore.

Lastly, do you know how utterly unlikely three new characters are to a series like KI? The only series that ever got three characters added in one game were Mario and Zelda (two of the big three) and that's only because the roster more than doubled. It took Sakurai until Brawl to add two highly popular requested characters from a major series like Kirby, do you really think there's going to be four characters from a series with only three games? That's a bit laughable.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lastly, do you know how utterly unlikely three new characters are to a series like KI? The only series that ever got three characters added in one game were Mario and Zelda (two of the big three) and that's only because the roster more than doubled. It took Sakurai until Brawl to add two highly popular requested characters from a major series like Kirby, do you really think there's going to be four characters from a series with only three games? That's a bit laughable.
Well, Sakurai regards KI as big franchise of Nintendo now (the big 8 in the trailer).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well regardless I definetly remember seeing those picture on serebii. He probably posted both, maybe he didn't put his specific leak on his website. And I didn't see sonic so I guess that does equate to 6. Although I don't quite understand how red hero is second party and bayonetta is third when they are both wii u exclusives and are both being made by platinum.
The difference is Nintendo co-owns the W101 IP with Platinum, making them partially Nintendo-owned characters, while Nintendo is just funding and publishing Bayonetta, they don't own any of the rights to the character or the IP, likely just to that specific game and distribution.

Well, Sakurai regards KI as big franchise of Nintendo now (the big 8 in the trailer).
That still doesn't really prove my point wrong... it's no Mario or Zelda, and the roster isn't going to expand enough to warrant three new character for any series, let alone one that has only gotten one new game. KI is without a doubt the smallest of all the series shown in the trailer.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He didn't care about satisfying all the third-party requests last time. We didn't get Geno, Mega Man, Bomberman, or many of the other popular requests back then.

And where do you get off being so sure we'll get a gameboy and eShop rep? When has Sakurai expressed any interest in a rep specific to a system or platform, other than retro/classic characters, which encompass a time period, not a specific system.

And the AR games hardly had the same impact Wii Fit did, I wouldn't count on it, but who the hell knows anymore.

Actually he did with Sonic. He didn't have time for the others but he did pick the most popular and added him in late.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually he did with Sonic. He didn't have time for the others but he did pick the most popular and added him in late.
Satisfying one third-party request =/= satisfying all the third party requests

I didn't say he didn't satisfying any of them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because KI has interesting characters that Sakurai made, and could possibly affect his opinion on repping KI.
Sakurai is humble remember.

That hurts their chances, not helps...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Because KI has interesting characters that Sakurai made, and could possibly affect his opinion on repping KI.
You do realize how incredibly subjective it is?

Sigh, you'll never learn. :facepalm:

I can't even put you on ignore because of the hilarity of your posts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well let's see how Sakurai deals with a series he revived.
He's either going to treat it like a personal series which he's too humble to do anything about until the demand gets overwhelming (which it certainly isn't for Dark Pit and Hades), or like a regular series and add maybe one character, because they merit it. He's not going to go crazy and say "KI is mine now, flood the roster with my characters! I'm only making this roster for me!" That's silly.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai is humble remember.

That hurts their chances, not helps...
Sure didn't hurt Kirby as a franchise in Brawl. Not only did Kirby get two reps, but Kirby characters dominated the story in the single-player mode.

KI is popular enough right now that a second rep is quite likely, particularly if Nintendo wants to expand KI into another one of their more successful franchises.

No more than two, though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sure didn't hurt Kirby as a franchise in Brawl. Not only did Kirby get two reps, but Kirby characters dominated the story in the single-player mode.
Well, they were added only after two games, so that's something.

KI is popular enough right now that a second rep is quite likely, particularly if Nintendo wants to expand KI into another one of their more successful franchises.

No more than two, though.
Agreed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, late to the party talking about this, what is everyone's thoughts on the three newcomers announced yesterday?
Just go through the last few pages.

In short,
MegaMan made everyone super happy and super hyped.
Villager was an unexpected but awesome addition.
There was a lot of butthurt over WFT, but we began to appreciate her after seeing her moveset.

Also, a good number of people think that that the roster size will be larger than what we expected till now.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
So, late to the party talking about this, what is everyone's thoughts on the three newcomers announced yesterday?
From what I can tell, everybody **** their pants when megaman was announced. The villager was poorly received at first, but over the day became much much more liked and already seems to have a cult following. I personally fit that definition, I honestly think villager looks cooler than Tom nook could have been and that's saying a lot since I loves the idea of Tom nook before. I still think he will be somewhere in the game, just not as a playable character. As for WFT, she was announced at the wrong time. People were just getting over and starting to like villager and then BAM even more obscure, unwanted character. She looks like she plays fine so many people are kind of writing her off and hoping that we don't get any more characters like that. I'm hoping for no more Nintendo specific characters like the mii, but instead characters from IPs like Ridley Chrom and shulk.

As for the third parties I think I have an idea as to what sakurai could do and what he did do. I think for the last game he picked two third parties, one being the most highly requested, sonic, and one because he personally wanted to add him. I don't think any amount of begging could have gotten snake in brawl if sakurai didn't like snake in the first place. Now for this game regarding the likely two new 3rd parties I think he will do something similar. I don't know whether he is bring ing back snake and sonic or not, but that doesn't effect my proposition. I think maybe megaman was once again his popular pick. But his obscure personal pick may be the namco character. Because if you go down to it, Pacman may be popular but ever since you know PAC-man all of his games are kind of crappy (don't know specific scores, but pacman games are not something you hear about much, so I'm kind of assuming). So instead he could go for a less popular namco character. While I don't know much about namco, the games that come to my mind are tales and soul calibur and tekken. Of these I think any tales character is viable at this point because it just has to do with who sakurai likes. If he decides to go for the fighting games I think he will try to go for somebody more colorful instead of the likes of heihachi or Jin (at least I hope). I think if he wants to go for these games he will either go for yoshimitsu, or maybe like king from tekken (honestly dont know a whole lot about tekken, but a guy with an animal head seems reasonably colorful, obviously armor king would be a recolor), or maybe Siegfried with a nightmare alternate costume (or the other way around)

Personally I really hope he decides to go for yoshimitsu, that would make everything okay.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Megaman - I've played all the originals and loved them, can't wait to play as him.

Wii Fit Trainer - Like everyone else I WTF'd, but oddly enough i love this addition and I'm looking forward to playing her just as much or even more than Megaman.

Villager - I don't really enjoy animal crossing, but he seems like a fun character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yoshimitsu would be an even worse fit for Smash's atmosphere than Snake. The dude has gotten pretty grotesque recently.

I doubt we'd get a Tekken character in the first place; they just don't jive with the feel of Smash and, unlike Snake, most likely won't have a close acquaintance of Sakurai's pushing for their inclusion. Pac-Man is probably the most likely candidate, with the Tales characters after that as we know their team would like to see them in Smash.

View attachment 897
What do you guys think of my roster? ANy way that I could improve it?
Are you looking for comments on feasibility? You've got Pokemon at 9 reps, which will almost certainly not happen, although Eevee is the only character who really sticks out as a long shot from the Pokemon group.

Seems mostly reasonable past that, with a few long shots, but every roster should have a few long shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom