• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Some rumor site, but I highly doubt it now after further research. I'll edit. However, I really think we shouldn't lose faith in our character choices. If WFT is in, we've gotta at least get a few we wanted.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Some rumor site, but I highly doubt it now after further research. I'll edit. However, I really think we shouldn't lose faith in our character choices. If WFT is in, we've gotta at least get a few we wanted.
If the rumors are true, Little Mac is coming soon, so that's a popular request right there.

I'm pretty expectant of Palutena as well. KI is popular right now, she's a fun character, and Sakurai is of course heavily involved with Kid Icarus.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
That rumor does make me worry about Lloyd's chances a bit. Ok a lot. Even if we don't know if that rumor is true or not.

But it also seems pointless to have the mii character in as well, when we have the villager and WFT.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Did you read the reasoning behind why people are believing it now? It's pretty solid.

No one else, like in the history of ever, has predicted the Wii Fit Trainer to be in Smash, let alone with the Villager.

Still, never trust a rumor. If you trust every single rumor, you'll get into some really deep ****. It's common sense regardless of the scenarios provided.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Kinda sucks for Japan, as, if this rumor is to be believed, they really only get one character confirmed that's popular over there (Mega Man).

I mean they like Pac-Man ok, but Tales characters are much more requested there than he is. I suppose they like the Villager, but he also wasn't too expected there either.

Still, never trust a rumor. If you trust every single rumor, you'll get into some really deep ****. It's common sense regardless of the scenarios provided.
There's a difference between trusting every rumor and trusting the believable ones with sound evidence. :smirk:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thing is. This rumor apparently told us about Wii Fit Trainer BEFORE E3!

That makes me wonder.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't seem to be a rumor, but more or less a leak.
The guy was from NeoGAF (and you know how apparently they are always right or they get banned), is a respectable user, and listed the six characters before the trailer showed up on GAF as his "unlikely predictions".

I'm going with Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii being all but officially confirmed at this point.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm still very much in doubt of the idea of Miis getting in, considering that not only have Villager and WFT completely handled the casual demographic of Nintendo, but the policy regarding which games Miis are included in has strict guidelines against representing the player in a violent setting.

On a random note, why are the most notable 3rd party characters all -mans? Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, Bomberman... How many 3rd parties besides Sonic don't end in Man?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Little Mac is awesome!

Pac-Man isn't Lloyd but he's warming up to me.

While I didn't mind Mii before, I kinda don't want him now that we got Wii Fit Trainer.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I am skeptical toward most rumors by habit. This one has some solid evidence in the form of somebody who predicted WFT, Mega Man, and Villager before E3 started. It could still be a guess, but it'd take the guess of the century to predict Fitness Trainer and Villager together.

The only sticking point is that he did not specify the order in which they would be revealed, which does make me a bit skeptical. Surely someone somewhere could have realized that the Wii Fit's immense popularity meant that Sakurai would troll us with Wii Fit this time, and that Animal Crossing was popular enough among all audiences to make a rep attractive.

Little Mac is awesome!

Pac-Man isn't Lloyd but he's warming up to me.

While I didn't mind Mii before, I kinda don't want him now that we got Wii Fit Trainer.
I'm dreading the aesthetic clash if he gets in. Even Villager has a much more detailed design than the Mii. Miis work fine in the games designed around them, but look terrible if placed into a game that actually has detail like Mario Kart or Smash. Doubly so if users can create any kind of Mii for play in that game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
On a random note, why are the most notable 3rd party characters all -mans? Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, Bomberman... How many 3rd parties besides Sonic don't end in Man?
Snake, Geno, Lloyd, Layton,etc.

Lots.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well if the rumor is true... bloody hell the newcomers this time around are going to be bloody terrible. Mega Man cannot carry all that weight by himself, and to a smaller extent Little Mac.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well if the rumor is true... bloody hell the newcomers this time around are going to be bloody terrible. Mega Man cannot carry all that weight by himself, and to a smaller extent Little Mac.
Villager was pretty cool.

And Trainer is charming.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As somebody who hates the Mii, doesn't care about Pac-Man, and has not played Animal Crossing, I'd honestly still be pretty excited. Little Mac and Mega Man are awesome, Villager seems fun, and Wii Fit Trainer will be funny enough and still fits within the game's aesthetic. Mii would kill some of my hype, but that's nothing compared to how much has been generated.

Plus, this way at least I know we've gotten my worst-cast scenario for a newcomer out of the way first and I have only fun reveals to look forward to without worrying about whether or not Miis are in.

I should clarify that I'm sure Mii would have a fun moveset if he's in. He'll just look really, really terrible next to all the other characters, even Villager and Game & Watch.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I need to know. Gimme a link to the guy who said these things. I want to read it for myself.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I need to know. Gimme a link to the guy who said these things. I want to read it for myself.
Don't have the tab open anymore. Take a look in the Social thread, you can find it there. Pretty much all it is is some dude on a forum calling Trainer and Villager a few hours prior to E3.

D

Deleted member

In case the rumor is true, here are my thoughts on the three new characters:

Little Mac: Really deserves to be in and I do look forward to the representation surrounding the franchise, but I'm just not that interested in him as a character.

Pac-Man: Meh. I no longer hate the idea of him since Mega Man is in, but nothing appeals to me as well. Then again, could be worse.

Mii: Won't lie, this could actually be pretty exciting to see. Mii's would be great to see and they really do deserve a spot.

Hopefully Little Mac and Pac-Man can actually be made into exciting characters. I mean, Wii Fit Trainer actually looks kind of exciting at this point and I NEVER expected to do anything but whine about her inclusion.

I'll be waiting to see if this comes to pass. Perhaps we'll know about them tomorrow or on Thursday should they be in?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Villager was pretty cool.

And Trainer is charming.
Well... that is subjective ofc. WFT is much more devisive than a character like Mega Man or Little Mac. Though if Sakurai hadn't of made those statements about AC, people would be celebrating the Villager as the inclusion of one of the most popular requests. (Or hating that he got in over Tom Nook :laugh:).

D

Deleted member

That's why I'm placing my hopes that Ridley, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Mewtwo and Roy can squeeze in the other five slots if it is true.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's why I'm placing my hopes that Ridley, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Mewtwo and Roy can squeeze in the other five slots if it is true.
Jeezus, it didn't even occur to me that the newcomers might be half-revealed after tomorrow. That... kinda sucks. Now I do want Sakurai to actually expand past fifty. :laugh:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1. Like saying your roster is "better" is any different than saying it's more "realistic" That kind of implies
that it's better.

2. Yeah, uh no. You are making baseless claims to prove no point. Like Starfy is a starfish, or saying Lyn is unlikely and then give no explanation. I have used several points to back up my characters. So please don't pretend like you didn't see them. I'm getting tired of re posting them just because you don't want to accept it.

3. Yeah, just say "I can't argue with that" when you are proven wrong. I guess that is proper to say than, because you obviously can't say anything to back it up.

4. When you say "I'm trying to be nice" when you're trying to make a point. I feel you're saying. "If you keep disagreeing with me, than you're not being nice and I can be rude because of that." Don't assume that disagreeing = people out to get you.

And I have every right to critisize whatever roster I want as long as I'm being polite, and saying something like Toon Ganondorf & Dr. Mario is a bad idea is not being rude. This thread was made so we can speculate character predictions and discuss each other's opinions. So don't go telling me I'm not in any position to complain about other rosters. If you have a problem with me stating my disagreements with characters than don't read the posts. You on the other hand are talking about how you think your roster is more realistic than mine. I didn't tell Croph my roster was more realistic than his. I'm not doing anything wrong, so leave me alone.
Arguing further is pointless. We clearly won't listen to each other, so I'm going to do what I should've done long ago by saying "Good bye" and leaving you to your own accord. I look forward to seeing your characters! :)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well... that is subjective ofc. WFT is much more devisive than a character like Mega Man or Little Mac. Though if Sakurai hadn't of made those statements about AC, people would be celebrating the Villager as the inclusion of one of the most popular requests. (Or hating that he got in over Tom Nook :laugh:).
WFT is divisive, but opinion on her seems in the majority favorable.

I doubt that they'd only give us five more Nintendo reps after this batch of announcements. If we proceed under the hypothetical scenario that the rumors are true, that means only seven newcomers from real Nintendo game franchises (Little Mac, Villager, 5 more) as compared to the 15 or so of Brawl. Seems a bit low. Sakurai does love his troll and wacky picks, but he's also very good about serious picks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
WFT is divisive, but opinion on her seems in the majority favorable.
Yeah, once characters get included, they usually become mostly positively-received (from a character perspective, not always from a gameplay perspective), but clearly no one wanted her before-hand, as opposed to characters will actual existing support. She's still going to be much more divisive than many of those characters.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I mainly hate her bad timing giving people a bad impression about the newcomers. It wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't revealed now, but because that's not the case there is paranoia with what's going to happen in the future.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, once characters get included, they usually become mostly positively-received (from a character perspective, not always from a gameplay perspective), but clearly no one wanted her before-hand, as opposed to characters will actual existing support. She's still going to be much more divisive than many of those characters.
Certainly.

It also occurs to me that with probably around a year left in development, there's no way they would blow their load on E3 if they've only got a few more newcomers left to announce. If newcomers are really that scarce, I don't think we'd be seeing more than the reveals we saw today, and certainly not the Namco third-party rep. If we get three more reps tomorrow I'll take that as a positive sign that Sakurai still has a decent amount of surprises in store for us.

I mainly hate her bad timing giving people a bad impression about the newcomers. It wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't revealed now, but because that's not the case there is paranoia with what's going to happen in the future.
This is seriously the best time for her to be revealed. Get the troll picks out of the way immediately, generate a ton of hype for the game due to the uproar, and then move on to picks that will generate more unanimous excitement.

Would you rather go from Wii Fit girl to [insert your favorite pick here] as the game's release approaches, or vice versa?

D

Deleted member

Jeezus, it didn't even occur to me that the newcomers might be half-revealed after tomorrow. That... kinda sucks. Now I do want Sakurai to actually expand past fifty. :laugh:
It's why I'm hoping the leaker just got incredibly lucky with Wii Fit Trainer getting in because if he's not, then the scramble for new spots is going to be absolutely brutal. There's also a guarantee (or as close as you can get to) of us getting a retro character, which would be Takamaru. Oh and Mewtwo is going to get its new form when Mewtwo returns so he's could end up with two move sets, meaning two characters.

Damn this rumor and the validity of it. I'll have to literally rethink the pool for newcomers.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's why I'm hoping the leaker just got incredibly lucky with Wii Fit Trainer getting in because if he's not, then the scramble for new spots is going to be absolutely brutal. There's also a guarantee (or as close as you can get to) of us getting a retro character, which would be Takamaru. Oh and Mewtwo is going to get its new form when Mewtwo returns so he's technically going to be two characters.

Damn this rumor and the validity of it. I'll have to literally rethink the pool for newcomers.
Remember, we did get a massive amount of newcomers for Brawl. A smaller amount of newcomers for SSB4 could happen, but we should not assume that this is the case, especially given the prodigious size of Sakurai's team.

I doubt Mewtwo's forms would be two characters. Alt costumes seem possible based on Mega Man's intro trailer, as well as general industry standards.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd gladly take Takamaru and worry about Wii Fit Trainer later.
Eh, fair enough. Personally I'd prefer to go from less hype to more hype rather than being let down by a troll pick closer to the game's release. E3 announces enough reps at once that odds are you'll have at least one you can get excited for even if you don't care for the others, and the same can't be said about single-character reveals leading up to launch.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it wasn't for all the statements of Sakurai saying how he was limiting the roster, not expanding greatly, keeping the newcomers to a lower amount, or things in that vein, I would say that getting around the same amount of newcomers we got for Brawl (or more) seems likely, with the way they're going about revealing them. I'M CONFLICTED. :dizzy::laugh:

Sakurai is getting waaaaay too good at trolling. :glare:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think its important to take rumors cautiously. While they may seem legit and by alla ccounts official, I prefer to get it from an official source. However, some rumors are hard to avoid getting excited about - esoecially if we are thristy for more information.

D

Deleted member

Remember, we did get a massive amount of newcomers for Brawl. A smaller amount of newcomers for SSB4 could happen, but we should not assume that this is the case, especially given the prodigious size of Sakurai's team.

I doubt Mewtwo's forms would be two characters. Alt costumes seem possible based on Mega Man's intro trailer, as well as general industry standards.
Sakurai has said that if he were to make a new game, there wouldn't be many characters on it. We're not sure if this has changed, but it's best to apply this mindset unless Sakurai states otherwise.

I think Sakurai will try to get two form of Mewtwo; one for the original and one for the new form. They are, after all, going to be in the new movie and I think the ideal situation would be to incorporate both forms to appeal to the most audience, though it is possible that we just get Mewtwo's new form.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If it wasn't for all the statements of Sakurai saying how he was limiting the roster, not expanding greatly, keeping the newcomers to a lower amount, or things in that vein, I would say that getting around the same amount of newcomers we got for Brawl (or more) seems likely, with the way they're going about revealing them. I'M CONFLICTED. :dizzy::laugh:

Sakurai is getting waaaaay too good at trolling. :glare:
This is the same Sakurai that once said Animal Crossing could not be made to work in Smash, yeah? I'll take anything he says with a healthy dose of salt. :grin:

I think its important to take rumors cautiously. While they may seem legit and by alla ccounts official, I prefer to get it from an official source. However, some rumors are hard to avoid getting excited about - esoecially if we are thristy for more information.
Believe me, I'd love it to be false. Hopefully it's the one guy out of the six billion souls on this planet who thought "Wii Fit is really popular, it will probably get a rep".

Regarding Mewtwo:
I just can't see two more Pokemon reps when Pokemon is already the most represented franchise in Smash by one or two reps. Even if you cut Lucario that's seven Pokemon reps at the end of the day. I think a skin swap is more likely.

LucaSmash

Smash Cadet
Although it would be cool to bring Mewtwo back, I don't think they will. Only because it was removed, and is now in the removed characters hall of fame, so it would be weird to bring it back again. But you never know, huh.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Takamaroooo where are yoooo?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Just kidding I hate scooby-doo.

But I want Takamaroo. Ninten would also be nice (I'm a huge Mother fan) Let's hope to see another character tommorow.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We can't trust what Sakurai has said in the past!

Villager was confirmed.

Starfy actually has a chance now.

D

Deleted member

One thing I just realized.
Maybe Toon Link isn't going to be in this.
Remember A Link Between Worlds? (The Link to the Past sequel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom