• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What do you guys think of my roster? ANy way that I could improve it?
Yeah, like FalKoopa said, it's harder giving advice now, but I'd still consider keeping Lucario above Eevee and/or N.

So, late to the party talking about this, what is everyone's thoughts on the three newcomers announced yesterday?
My thoughs...
Villager: :)
Mega Man: :awesome::colorful:
WFT: :dizzy::mad:

I'm less upset about WFT now, but I still wish she hadn't of been included. I'm probably only going to play as her when I have to.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yoshimitsu would be an even worse fit for Smash's atmosphere than Snake. The dude has gotten pretty grotesque recently.

I doubt we'd get a Tekken character in the first place; they just don't jive with the feel of Smash and, unlike Snake, most likely won't have a close acquaintance of Sakurai's pushing for their inclusion. Pac-Man is probably the most likely candidate, with the Tales characters after that as we know their team would like to see them in Smash.

Are you looking for comments on feasibility? You've got Pokemon at 9 reps, which will almost certainly not happen, although Eevee is the only character who really sticks out as a long shot from the Pokemon group.

Seems mostly reasonable past that, with a few long shots, but every roster should have a few long shots.
I know that yoshimitsu is getting pretty grotesque, but that's the kind of thing that you can change for smash, I'm quite certain snake did some things in his games that would be no-no for brawl too. I'd rather not have any tekken character that isn't yoshimitsu to be honest. I dislike those games, but yoshimitsu is on both soul calibur and tekken. I think yoshimitsu could if done right fit perfectly with the smash cast too. He's so goddamn funny just take out all of the sadistic parts and he can still be awesome (sorry no seppuku). If he were in this game he would have an instant cult following (not that he already doesn't), the difference with snake is the hardcore nature of him and his games. It's hard to take the hard-ass military guy out of a hard-ass military guy. Yoshimitsu is much more lighter other than the fact that he is sadistic. I'm not saying its that likely although the chance is rising IMO. The only thing PAC-man has going for him is his recognizability and his popularity. I think sakurai did the popular choice first and for namco would rather go with the story driven diverse super not bland characters like Lloyd or yoshimitsu.

Also what do you guys think of having a yarn yoshi alternate costume or probably more frowned upon, replacing Olimar with alph with the same moveset (except rock and winged pikmin of course). I could see both possibly happening.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm quite certain snake did some things in his games that would be no-no for brawl too.
Yeah, but Snake had a strong personal advocate, and he also wasn't a fighting game character to begin with, which amusingly enough helps his chances as fans won't be expecting him to perform certain moves from a completely different game engine.

Namco's rep is probably going to be Pac-Man, in any case. I really doubt that we'd see a Tekken character.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yeah, but Snake had a strong personal advocate, and he also wasn't a fighting game character to begin with, which amusingly enough helps his chances as fans won't be expecting him to perform certain moves from a completely different game engine.

Namco's rep is probably going to be Pac-Man, in any case. I really doubt that we'd see a Tekken character.
Once again, he is in soul calibur too, and I don't see how being in a fighting game hurts his chances. Just make him have similar moves with the side scrolling screen. Was he is tekken X street fighter? If he was than they even have a 2d moveset to work with. I know PAC-man is the most likely, but his likelihood is going down.

Also wouldn't it be lame if both third parties end with -man? Maybe bomberman can be in instead of snake to make the triple threat :troll:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Once again, he is in soul calibur too, and I don't see how being in a fighting game hurts his chances. Just make him have similar moves with the side scrolling screen. Was he is tekken X street fighter? If he was than they even have a 2d moveset to work with. I know PAC-man is the most likely, but his likelihood is going down.
SFxTekken is still a fighting game with fighting game movesets, however.

I know he's in Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur is the game which features a group of people competing to win a grotesque monster sword. Soul Calibur's atmosphere is very far removed from Smash as well, and Yoshimitsu is one of the more grotesque characters from that series.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
SFxTekken is still a fighting game with fighting game movesets, however.

I know he's in Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur is the game which features a group of people competing to win a grotesque monster sword. Soul Calibur's atmosphere is very far removed from Smash as well, and Yoshimitsu is one of the more grotesque characters from that series.
I think you are reading too much into the story of the games to discern whether characters are worthy are not. If I am correct some of links games are pretty dark (in fact he was in soul calibur) yet no one questions his appearance. It's the character not necessarily the story. And other than his sadistic nature which can easily be written out, he is a lighthearted extremely funny character that would fit well into smash bros. also if being in a fighting game hurts your chances, why was heihachi in psasbr a game with much similar fighting to smash bros. and his moveset rocked. Being in a fighting game just gives you moves to work with, and yoshimitsu has lots of unique ones.

Also megaman alternate costume anyone? I would play more than his regular one.
image.jpg

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Me thinks that the costumes are going to be based on Zero, Bass, Classic 8-bit, Box Art Megaman, and probably Metal Man.
maybe Protoman, X, Volnutt, helmetless or even an EXE skin but i highly doubt any of those skins u mentioned, minus 8-Bit but thats a dif story, could make it cause of the drastic body differences.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
It has been a long while since I posted here but I got so excited when Mega Man was announced that I thought I'd take a crack at a roster prediction again.

I'm going to be very conservative with this one.

There's 41 slots on the select screen but 45 move sets.

To avoid having nothing but first Gen Pokémon, Mewtwo could be the new form and Pokémon Trainer could have Pokémon from different regions, preferably 3 different regions instead of all from the same region.

The only cuts I made from Brawl are Toon Link, Wolf, Lucario and Ike. If I were to cut one more in favor of a newcomer it would probably be Lucas. I've had people suggest to me for Dedede, R.O.B. and G&W to be cut but I don't think that's going to happen nor do I want it to.

It's all the same to me if Snake and Sonic do not return but I kept them for now.

If I were to implement having unique characters on each version I'd consider having Ness on the Wii U and Lucas on the 3DS and as much as I want Isaac on both they could put Shulk on Wii U and Isaac on 3DS likewise with Chrom and Ike for 3DS and Wii U respectively. They could have at least 1 different Pokémon rep on each version as well. Wii Fit Trainer could be on both but maybe makes more sense to just have on Wii U and 3DS could have AR Man or something equally bizarre and unique to portable systems. Perhaps Professor Layton would be a 3DS exclusive 3rd party fighter as well.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
m
It has been a long while since I posted here but I got so excited when Mega Man was announced that I thought I'd take a crack at a roster prediction again.

To avoid having nothing but first Gen Pokémon, Mewtwo could be the new form and Pokémon Trainer could have Pokémon from different regions, preferably 3 different regions instead of all from the same region.

The only cuts I made from Brawl are Toon Link, Wolf, Lucario and Ike. If I were to cut one more in favor of a newcomer it would probably be Lucas. I've had people suggest to me for Dedede, R.O.B. and G&W to be cut but I don't think that's going to happen nor do I want it to.

It's all the same to me if Snake and Sonic do not return but I kept them for now.

If I were to implement having unique characters on each version I'd consider having Ness on the Wii U and Lucas on the 3DS and as much as I want Isaac on both they could put Shulk on Wii U and Isaac on 3DS likewise with Chrom and Ike for 3DS and Wii U respectively. They could have at least 1 different Pokémon rep on each version as well. Wii Fit Trainer could be on both but maybe makes more sense to just have on Wii U and 3DS could have AR Man or something equally bizarre and unique to portable systems. Perhaps Professor Layton would be a 3DS exclusive 3rd party fighter as well.
most realistic roster sadly

and not just because he's my main but i really doubt they'll remove lucas

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
It is a little sad considering the massive potential with all the characters possible when even Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are playable but I think I'd be very content with that. At this point I'm very easy to please now that Mega Man is confirmed. I just want Isaac above all else and would like Little Mac and Chrom (even if he has to replace Ike but they could include all 3 and vary them enough).

Sakurai somewhat took the wind out of my sails when he said the 3DS and Wii U would have the same amount of characters when it's obvious the Wii U could handle more than the 3DS.

My gripes with Brawl were I felt Wolf and Toon Link were wasted potential and entirely unnecessary but still fun to play as. I didn't like the inclusion of R.O.B. at first but now I don't really want to see him get cut. I don't mind clones but they could have done much more with Wolf, Toon Link, Lucas, Ganondorf and Falco to differ them from Link, Ness, Falcon and Fox if they were not going to stay straight up clones and I'd have opted to give Luigi the Poltergeist before giving Mario FLUDD even though I don't actually want Luigi to play differently since he's my main. And repeating final smashes is just lazy, especially having 3 characters with the same final smash.

All that said I have to admit they did assemble a cast of iconic Nintendo characters that were fun to play with. Keep most of the Brawl fighters, fix online play, get rid of tripping and throw in Isaac and I'll be very content with this game. Mega Man was a big pre-requisite for how happy I would be with the final game and that's already taken care of and unlike Sonic he doesn't seem like wasted potential.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I definitely see this happening:

It's probably too much, but it's realistic in terms of number of characters in each series.
Well first off, you used my character boxes without permission. Please give credit to me next time you use them.

---
Four Kid Icarus characters is over-representation. Cut it down to 2.

Get rid of Bayonetta, and possibly Wonder Red.

AR MAN would be another WTF character, but I'm not sure how likely he is.

View attachment 897
What do you guys think of my roster? ANy way that I could improve it?
Replace Eevee with Lucario. That's really all I can say for now.

josh bones

Smash Lord

Keep all the cut characters and no version exclusives, and you got something

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well first off, you used my character boxes without permission. Please give credit to me next time you use them.

---
Four Kid Icarus characters is over-representation. Cut it down to 2.

Get rid of Bayonetta, and possibly Wonder Red.

AR MAN would be another WTF character, but I'm not sure how likely he is.

Replace Eevee with Lucario. That's really all I can say for now.
I only intended to use the boxes for imagination, the roster boxes looked neat. But I'll credit you next time

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was the final roster for a SSB4 with the same number of slots.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know the vast majority of people don't speculate Smash or know all the likely candidates, therefore they wouldn't find more conservative rosters nearly as boring or safe as we do, because it all would still seem new to them...

D

Deleted member

I've made new Icons for everyone confirmed.
Thanks. We'll make sure to make a new prediction roster once Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii are confirmed.
So, late to the party talking about this, what is everyone's thoughts on the three newcomers announced yesterday?
Villager: Great surprise there, looking forward to playing as him.

Mega Man: OMG HE IS FINALLY INNNNN! ASLDFJ SANIOFNAINFDOAISFNASL

Wii Fit Trainer: WTF IS GOING ON HERE? *later*

Maybe she'll be a cool addition after all.
I think you are reading too much into the story of the games to discern whether characters are worthy are not. If I am correct some of links games are pretty dark (in fact he was in soul calibur) yet no one questions his appearance. It's the character not necessarily the story. And other than his sadistic nature which can easily be written out, he is a lighthearted extremely funny character that would fit well into smash bros. also if being in a fighting game hurts your chances, why was heihachi in psasbr a game with much similar fighting to smash bros. and his moveset rocked. Being in a fighting game just gives you moves to work with, and yoshimitsu has lots of unique ones.

Also megaman alternate costume anyone? I would play more than his regular one.
View attachment 899
I could see us getting a Bad Box Mega Man color skin happening.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
My thoughts overall?

Villager: Yeah. I'm not that shocked at this because this was actually one of the higher requested characters (Along with Nook) back on NSider, so...

Mega Man: HELL YEAH BRO'S Love the reveals so far and the-

Wii Fit Trainer: I'm actually shockingly okay with this. If this is our WTF, it's my favorite WTF.

And the possibilities:

Little Mac: I'm not going to sugarcoat this but literally one of the most boring new series. I'm sorry, but when a company has Shulk, Dillon, Isaac, and even CHIBI-ROBO... Yeah. Not sugarcoating that..

Pac-Man: Boring choice for Namco is boring. I guess I'm fine with this, especially if he fits. I didn't care all too much for Snake or Sonic. If things get better it's awesome.

Mii: ...Why? No, really, why? Also I might as well start shouting "SUKAPON" from a three story building because this is really showing Sakurai and other producers aren't something to take 100% when they say a line.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm the only one who had this guy on my wish roster not my realistic roster of course.
I wonder how people would have reacted if this had been the WTF character.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Disappointing to find out about 3 characters through a leak. I'm sure Sakurai had some much more spectacular way to present them to us.
Oh well, will still be interesting to see how they look and play (if it's true ofcourse).

Pac n' Mac are pretty exciting additions.
I'm guessing Mii has some sort of moveset customisation ability which will make it interesting too.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think I'm the only one who had this guy on my wish roster not my realistic roster of course.
I wonder how people would have reacted if this had been the WTF character.
I'd love any kind of Wars rep, as it's criminal that the series doesn't have one, but the Grunt would definitely be the WTF choice out of possible Wars reps.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
I'd love any kind of Wars rep, as it's criminal that the series doesn't have one, but the Grunt would definitely be the WTF choice out of possible Wars reps.
Heck I just love the little guys. They always kept me laughing when I played that game. When they were talking in the background and their run. They just cracked me up. I should go play the first one again.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Has there been any information in regards to anymore characters being revealed.

I know the guy predicted the first three, but until they are revealed, I will remain skeptical. For all we know, he may have found about about the first three, and then guessed the second because they are likely choices.

Again, we won't know until it happens.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Alright wait. Has the leak about Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Mii been confirmed?

I MUST KNOW.
So far, not that I know of. I so hope it's not though...

And why is everyone being so conservative all of the sudden? Sure the fans may not notice specific characters but they will notice if only 6 slots are added. What fans who don't know characters that well want is more characters.

Has there been any information in regards to anymore characters being revealed.

I know the guy predicted the first three, but until they are revealed, I will remain skeptical. For all we know, he may have found about about the first three, and then guessed the second because they are likely choices.

Again, we won't know until it happens.
You know I think it is remotely possible that he could have guessed those three. Like maybe what he did is take a character from the top three non-reped Nintendo games (animal crossing, wii [whatever], and punch out), and then the two most likely third parties, and then Miis who seem likely to a lot of people. I mean it's unlikely this could have happened but so many predictions have been made that one being spot on isnt entirely out of the question.

I also thought of this, if he did have insider information, why didnt he use the official name of the characters? He said the wii fit person, and the guy from animal crossing. Yet it seems pretty likely that his "source" would have used the official name, at least for the villager.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As far as I know no one at Nintendo has made any more hints towards revealing any more characters this E3, and if it wasn't for the leak/rumor, people probably wouldn't be expecting any more either. Maybe they're saving them for like a July Direct or something... like last year's post-E3 Direct. Eh, probably not.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
As far as I know no one at Nintendo has made any more hints towards revealing any more characters this E3, and if it wasn't for the leak/rumor, people probably wouldn't be expecting any more either.
To be fair, they'd want to keep any further reveal a surprise like WFT, especially if it's Pac-Man.

That said, I will stop buying this rumor if we go through the last day of E3 and there's no announcement. "They could have delayed it last-minute", etc, yeah yeah. Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man are all still likely inclusions, but if you predict a specific date for a reveal and part of that reveal doesn't happen, the default assumption has to be that you simply made a very good guess.

I also thought of this, if he did have insider information, why didnt he use the official name of the characters? He said the wii fit person, and the guy from animal crossing. Yet it seems pretty likely that his "source" would have used the official name, at least for the villager.
The poster was serving as a medium to convey the alleged leaker's information, so it could have simply gotten muddled in the process, but we definitely do need to consider every detail.

And why is everyone being so conservative all of the sudden? Sure the fans may not notice specific characters but they will notice if only 6 slots are added. What fans who don't know characters that well want is more characters.
I think WFT caused a bit of the roster predictor version of an existential crisis. :grin:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just because everyone's giving their own two cents:

Villager - Was always my personal pick for an AC rep. Would be surprised if the female Villager wasn't an alt like Wario has. Looks fun to play as.

Mega Man - Plays exactly like I dreamed he would, definitely hype inducing. Still getting used to his first true 3D model.

Wii Fit Trainer - Still pretty WTF. Saw her first in the Developer Direct so Sakurai did help me like her more. Her trailer was also pretty dang funny, and she looks fun to play as.

Little Mac - Should the rumor be true, would definitely be in competition with MM and vets for my possible main. I like his simplicity, could get a Star system like in the games, and Doc Louis potential is something that I can't ignore.

Pac-Man - Still kinda dull IMO, but there are far worse choices to be made. He's still Pac-Man, so it's not like he doesn't deserve to be Smash or that he doesn't fit. Honestly will probably be a character I hate at first but then get over 5 minutes later. Definitely want to see him in action though.

Mii - Was fine with before, but now that we have the Villager, they seem a lot duller than before. Will really depend upon their moveset or if they show any charm like WFT in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom