• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai made a favor, that's how he got in. I'm just saying, take away that favor, and what does Snake have compared to Sonic and Mega Man? Unless Sakurai makes that favor again, or Sakurai has a no cut policy this time around, I wouldn't be shocked to see his removal, or if he was the only removal at all.
As SaturnGamer said, if there are cuts, there will likely be more than 1 in the first place. Snake has certainly earned a repeat appearance just as Sonic did.

There's nothing to say that Sakurai wouldn't make the favor again either. The initial appearance of Snake in Smash Bros. stirred some commotion, but it turned out to have a great response. Everybody knew about it when Snake was revealed.

Snake was also one of the most unique newcomers to Smash Bros. Having an explosive moveset that nobody else had, Snake stood out from the rest and became fairly liked in the competitive scene. He was miraculously made to fit the game. Of course, that's just Sakurai working his magic.

Snake DOES have history with Nintendo. He has a port of Metal Gear Solid 1 on the Gamecube (The Twin Snakes), there's the original Metal Gear, and then the port of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater on the 3DS.

Sure, Snake doesn't have nearly the same connection to Nintendo as say Sonic or Mega Man may, and it is a definite possibility that Pac-Man will be in. But there really isn't a solid ( :awesome:) reason to cut or exclude him. Being an outsider to the world of Nintendo in a way presented him in a much different light. That fact alone adds to his uniqueness.

I'd like to reflect back on the favor. I'm not entirely sure how long the two have been friends, but there are likely a few factors as to why Sakurai allowed Snake in the game.

First, is the relationship with Kojima. If Sakurai viewed Kojima as a complete schmuck, then it is entirely plausible that he would have straight up said, "Hell no to that." However, that's not how it turned out. There's a difference there. He is close enough with Kojima to grant his wish and fight Nintendo for it, so it's fair to say that the favor will be upheld.

Second, Sakurai has a very strong requirement for 3rd party characters. They have to be of "Legendary" gaming icon status. I think it's safe to say that Snake fits this category just as much as Sonic and Mega Man do. Nuff said here.

Lastly, the effect he has on Smash Bros. Not only was Snake the first 3rd party, but he was a widely accepted 3rd party character. If there was complete and utter disdain for the addition, then I could see him getting the ax. But there wasn't. As I said before, Snake is used often in tournament play, and I myself as a Snake user loved the addition.

I'm not trying to be a **** here, so I apologize if I came across that way. I am just very passionate about my home slice :snake: .

Espio264

Smash Ace
There's also Marth, Chrom, and Anna as a possibility.
I understand the appeal, and the ever growing fan base, but aren't there better female Fire Emblem choices than Anna? I honestly don't know though. I haven't played any of the games, but based on artwork alone, I see a few others that seem like they'd be a little more fierce of competitors.

fegirls.jpg

Or maybe I'm just a sucker for great legs and a pretty face.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You never do give any support to your arguments, do you?
Not when it's something that shouldn't require it. :p

But since you asked:

Snake is an incredibly beloved, popular, and unique Smash Character and gaming icon. And you think he's going to be thrown away like a piece of trash??? Like a weakling baby that damages itself and takes the place of 400 other more unique characters of it's respective franchise? Does that argument really require support?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
It wouldn't necessarily be Sakurai's schedule.
Snake could easily be a character planned to be cut from the get-go, in the vein of Pichu or Young Link.
THIS. It's like he's completely missing the part where I said time isn't an issue. He'd be cut from the get-go.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
As SaturnGamer said, if there are cuts, there will likely be more than 1 in the first place. Snake has certainly earned a repeat appearance just as Sonic did.

There's nothing to say that Sakurai wouldn't make the favor again either. The initial appearance of Snake in Smash Bros. stirred some commotion, but it turned out to have a great response. Everybody knew about it when Snake was revealed.

Snake was also one of the most unique newcomers to Smash Bros. Having an explosive moveset that nobody else had, Snake stood out from the rest and became fairly liked in the competitive scene. He was miraculously made to fit the game. Of course, that's just Sakurai working his magic.

Snake DOES have history with Nintendo. He has a port of Metal Gear Solid 1 on the Gamecube (The Twin Snakes), there's the original Metal Gear, and then the port of Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater on the 3DS.

Sure, Snake doesn't have nearly the same connection to Nintendo as say Sonic or Mega Man may, and it is a definite possibility that Pac-Man will be in. But there really isn't a solid ( :awesome:) reason to cut or exclude him. Being an outsider to the world of Nintendo in a way presented him in a much different light. That fact alone adds to his uniqueness.

I'd like to reflect back on the favor. I'm not entirely sure how long the two have been friends, but there are likely a few factors as to why Sakurai allowed Snake in the game.

First, is the relationship with Kojima. If Sakurai viewed Kojima as a complete schmuck, then it is entirely plausible that he would have straight up said, "Hell no to that." However, that's not how it turned out. There's a difference there. He is close enough with Kojima to grant his wish and fight Nintendo for it, so it's fair to say that the favor will be upheld.

Second, Sakurai has a very strong requirement for 3rd party characters. They have to be of "Legendary" gaming icon status. I think it's safe to say that Snake fits this category just as much as Sonic and Mega Man do. Nuff said here.

Lastly, the effect he has on Smash Bros. Not only was Snake the first 3rd party, but he was a widely accepted 3rd party character. If there was complete and utter disdain for the addition, then I could see him getting the ax. But there wasn't. As I said before, Snake is used often in tournament play, and I myself as a Snake user loved the addition.

I'm not trying to be a **** here, so I apologize if I came across that way. I am just very passionate about my home slice :snake: .
Dude I have the bad end of the stick in Golden arguments, that was a very good response with no rudeness whatsoever, so thanks!

And I agree with all of your points. I'm just saying that Snake wouldn't be unjustified compared to the rest of the Brawl cast when it comes down to cuts. That's it. It is not unreasonable to think Snake could be the only cut, sheesh. I'm not even saying his cut is likely, just that he is still the most justifiable one. Yes, he's a great addition to Smash, but does he stand up to Sonic and Mega Man this time around? Not sure, but I hope so. Again, I don't want him cut. I just wouldn't be surprised if he was.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
THIS. It's like he's completely missing the part where I said time isn't an issue. He'd be cut from the get-go.
Why Sakurai wouldn't even ATTEMPT to fit him in? Cuz he was a request from a friend? That doesn't change how deserving Snake is. He isn't garbage or a lazy clone addition to Sakurai like you are suggesting.

I swear, it's like you just completely passed over my previous posts....I'll just let you try and find that one where I said time constraints are the reason for his cut...good luck.
I swear, it's like you just completely passed over my previous posts....I'll just let you try and find that one where I said there is no way time constraints would be to the point of only ONE character getting cut...good luck.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Unless, you know, in the end, Konami doesn't want Snake in at all.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Most people base cuts one who THEY think should be cut. That's why it spirals into pure stupidity and is a waste of time to discuss. This is why people actually thought the child Link would be cut. Because THEY don't think 2 Links are important. :facepalm:

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Why Sakurai wouldn't even ATTEMPT to fit him in? Cuz he was a request from a friend? That doesn't change how deserving Snake is. He isn't garbage or a lazy clone addition to Sakurai like you are suggesting.

I swear, it's like you just completely passed over my previous posts....I'll just let you try and find that one where I said there is no way time constraints would be to the point of only ONE character getting cut...good luck.
What? How do you not comprehend what I was saying? And when did I suggest he was a lazy/clone/lame addition? Find these exact quotes for me, please do. And while you're at it, go ahead and find a quote with me mentioning that Snake gets cut due to time constraint reasons.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Unless, you know, in the end, Konami doesn't want Snake in at all.
This is implying Third-Parties don't get into Smash because they deserve to be in a Nintendo Fighting game, but rather that they are the mascot of a company (which should not matter because that company is not Nintendo.)

What? How do you not comprehend what I was saying? And when did I suggest he was a lazy/clone/lame addition?
You suggested he'd get cut without any attempt to be fit in in the first place. Sounds like you don't see him as much more important than a last minute Melee clone. (the only character who was ever cut from the get-go)

Espio264

Smash Ace
Snake is an incredibly beloved, popular, and unique Smash Character and gaming icon. And you think he's going to be thrown away like a piece of trash???
You're right, but Snake would never be thrown away like trash. He would a be a part of the legacy of Smash, appreciated for his contribution in the third installment, and his involvement will forever be a part of his legend within the video game universe. That being said, he shouldn't be cut, but if he were not included this time, I don't believe it'd be a huge shock. He was a true guest, and we should be thankful we got him.

And Sonic is essentially an obscure Mario character at this point, leaving him out is like leaving Wario out.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Most people base cuts one who THEY think should be cut. That's why it spirals into pure stupidity and is a waste of time to discuss. This is why people actually thought the child Link would be cut. Because THEY don't think 2 Links are important. :facepalm:
"Since cutting Ike is a bad idea and there's no good reason to do it, I can guarantee that Sakurai won't cut Ike" - Generalization of Saturn's comments on Ike's potential cut - 2013

I'll rewrite your own message, plugging in your own words about it:

"This is why I can guarantee Ike won't be cut. Because there isn't a good reason to do so."

You apply to your own complaint, and actually take it to the next level by "guaranteeing" it, so I suggest either fixing that, or not complaining about it.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
"Huh? When did I ever say that was a factor? Not once. I stated Snake being cut makes the most sense of any cuts at this point. He's a 1-timer, 3rd party, and was only added as a favor. If he's cut, it's not a time constraint thing at all, it's because he didn't warrant a return. That's it. Please understand an argument properly instead of bringing up a moot point I never addressed nor was ever relevant to what I was saying.

Also, to think a time constraint problem will happen is ludicrous. SSE is gone, and that killed tons of dev time, not to mention the fact that Sonic delayed the game further with his late addition. Plus he hasn't even nailed down a release date or even a month. Just 2014. They won't run out of time, trust me. That's the point of the vague release date, no pressure to get everything Sakurai wants done" -Me

See that's what you glossed over.

You suggested he'd get cut without any attempt to be fit in in the first place. Sounds like you don't see him as much more important than a last minute Melee clone. (the only character who was ever cut from the get-go)
And now you're just making assumptions, as I said, because you can't find where I state what you claim. Know why? Cuz I don't believe he's a lazy/cheap/clone character of whatever you tried to say I stated. And I also never even spewed that nonsense. I think he'd be cut because he was a 1-time favor, and it was cool to have him once but isn't necessary to Smash. And I don't even think he'll be cut, for the billionth time, I just think he is the most justifiable if it comes down to any. I believe a no cut roster is happening. Please get that through your thick skull. And I mean that in the nicest way possible because, as I'm sure you know, you're a stubborn guy who likes to argue, usually even ignoring posts for the sake of arguing more.

You're right, but Snake would never be thrown away like trash. He would a be a part of the legacy of Smash, appreciated for his contribution in the third installment, and his involvement will forever be a part of his legend within the video game universe. That being said, he shouldn't be cut, but if he were not included this time, I don't believe it'd be a huge shock. He was a true guest, and we should be thankful we got him.

And Sonic is essentially an obscure Mario character at this point, leaving him out is like leaving Wario out.

Exactly.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You apply to your own complaint, so I suggest either fixing that, or not complaining about it.
It's not based on who I think is more important. It's based on who IS more important. That's like criticizing me for saying "Mario is more important, he won't get cut." It's not debatable like Toon Link, where as people thought Toon Link would get cut because they don't give a **** about alternate versions of characters, it made Toon Link an unimportant character to THEM.

Go find someone else to spend your entire day ******** about.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
It's not based on who I think is more important. It's based on who IS more important. That's like criticizing me for saying "Mario is more important, he won't get cut." It's not debatable like Toon Link, where as people thought Toon Link would get cut because they don't give a **** about alternate versions of characters, it made Toon Link an unimportant character to THEM.
More important or not, there's no guarantee the character will be in the game until Sakurai says so. That's all there is too it. Likelihood is a different discussion altogether.

Go find someone else to spend your entire day *****ing about.
Don't flatter yourself.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
This is implying Third-Parties don't get into Smash because they deserve to be in a Nintendo Fighting game, but rather that they are the mascot of a company (which should not matter because that company is not Nintendo.)

I'm not implying anything, I'm just saying that its up to Konami. If Konami doesn't want him back, then he won't be back.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I stated Snake being cut makes the most sense of any cuts at this point. He's a 1-timer, 3rd party, and was only added as a favor. If he's cut, it's not a time constraint thing at all, it's because he didn't warrant a return.
I can safely say there can be no benefit from continuing this conversation further. I think we're done here.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Go find someone else to spend your entire day *****ing about.
Except the fact the "importance" is a very subjective thing and is different for everyone. So, again, you fall into your own complaint, as Lotus says. The only importance that comes down to character inclusions is Sakurai's perception of whom is important. That's the point of these discussions, yet no one seems to understand. People should be arguing from Sakurai's perspective because his is the one that matters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm not implying anything, I'm just saying that its up to Konami. If Konami doesn't want him back, then he won't be back.
They must really hate Snake and Nintendo.

People should be arguing from Sakurai's perspective because his is the one that matters.
That's what I'm doing in the best fo my ability. I'm complaining about people who barely try to argue from his perspective and don't even think twice before cutting Lucario & Toon Link.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
There's also Marth, Chrom, and Anna as a possibility.
Neither supporting nor prediction is usually moving characters around for another.
I remember one person who said that Marth should be removed for Lucina's sake. I was saddened.
I personally prefer Marth, Ike, and Anna as the best likely outcome, given Sakurai's statements about not liking to cut folks.
Oh, and I do see Anna happening without Corn.

Do your best, Blue!

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Except the fact the "importance" is a very subjective thing and is different for everyone. So, again, you fall into your own complaint, as Lotus says. The only importance that comes down to character inclusions is Sakurai's perception of whom is important. That's the point of these discussions, yet no one seems to understand. People should be arguing from Sakurai's perspective because his is the one that matters.
How can we argue from Sakurai's perspective? We have no idea what he's thinking. Though, I guess that might be what you're getting it.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Doin' it since day 1.
How can we argue from Sakurai's perspective? We have no idea what he's thinking. Though, I guess that might be what you're getting it.
Using what little we do know, such as that he doesn't like to cut characters, takes a peek at popularity, and only lets characters in that he thinks can work, uniqueness being the most important factor. With these loose criteria we can predict to some degree to suit our own agendas, for with such general statements Sakurai has plenty of flexibility.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
That's the damn point, to say it bluntly. We're arguing an unknown. Proper roster predictions should boil down to how WE think Sakurai is thinking. Of course we don't know, that's the point of discussions, but instead we get all these Noah rants, incohesive arguing from some users, and endless circles of idiocy.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
While Saturn (no offense) gets a bit annoying at times, he's still a pretty cool person, or at least to me (says the guy who thinks almost everyone is cool on Smashboards) and you've got to admit, he's way better roster prediction wise and argument wise than he used to be.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Well, in some cases we might be able to get an idea of what he thinks based on what he HAS said in prievous interviews and such.
Exactly. People should be using history AKA the past games, to help them gain an insight into his decisions, as well as supplementing that history with his various interviews and statements.

And thus, that's what sucks about arguing Snake, because he's only been a 1-time deal as of now. It's stupid to argue that, "Oh Sonic made it, that means Snake is in." Sonic is notches above Snake in iconic status and popularity. So we can't use that as a legitimate argument. Thus why I'm not even picking a side, just merely stating that Snake has the least going for him in regards to returning vets due to his 3rd party and 1-time status.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
While Saturn (no offense) gets a bit annoying at times, he's still a pretty cool person, or at least to me (says the guy who thinks almost everyone is cool on Smashboards) and you've got to admit, he's way better roster prediction wise and argument wise than he used to be.
He's clearly gotten a lot smarter, but I also think he's much more insistent on things and overall, more infuriating to try to have a logical conversation with. After all, he'll put words in your mouth and storm off when you call him out on it.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Adding a small amount of water to an empty large glass doesn't make the glass full.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I agree, but sometimes he goes on and on about a topic that could have een over in 5 minutes, no offense.
He's cool if you are on good terms with him.
But if you are on bad terms, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom