• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Premium
Waddle Dee is a little kush ball. I want a bad ass. Also, what's with the shine on Chrom's lower back? Is that area really hot to the ladies?

Morbi

Scavenger
I'll deal with you once I get off work.
I wouldn't bother, I have made my point multiple times. I will read whatever response you take the time to write up, don't expect a response though. At this point, if you cannot understand what my post entails, I am never going to convince you. I was under the assumption that I was very concise. If you don't think there is a pattern, that is fine. I will always argue the objective fact, regardless of what my own opinion is. I do; however, respect you for having an adamant opinion. I just don't necessarily understand why the concept is so difficult for you to grasp. I can discern my personal opinion from the reality of the situation. You can have the last word though. I am sure that people are sick of reading our interpretations on what a pattern is and throwing insults at each other. Have a good night at work, I eagerly await your response.

Morbi

Scavenger
Took me forever. How did Magikarp make it to my Top 5? :crazy:
Magikarp is the Pokemon that people love to hate. Personally, I have always been a big Magikarp fan. He was just so appealing, his design is aesthetically pleasing and his shiny form was gold. I love Magikarp for the same reason I am not a big fan of Charizard. My hipster pride makes me gravitate more towards Pokemon/Characters that nobody likes. I love Charizard in conception; however, his exposure and innate appeal to casuals have really desecrated whatever values I attached to him. This is not always the case, I am a big fan of Gyarados who happens to be fairly popular.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Magikarp is the Pokemon that people love to hate. Personally, I have always been a big Magikarp fan. He was just so appealing, his design is aesthetically pleasing and his shiny form was gold. I love Magikarp for the same reason I am not a big fan of Charizard. My hipster pride makes me gravitate more towards Pokemon/Characters that nobody likes. I love Charizard in conception; however, his exposure and innate appeal to casuals have really desecrated whatever values I attached to him. This is not always the case, I am a big fan of Gyarados who happens to be fairly popular.

Yeah, Mewtwo won mine. While Charizard is cool, I prefer the more "energy, mystic" Pokemon. Magikarp gets a bad rep, since he turns into Gyrados as well.

Pikachu and Meowth barely made the top 25 on mine. Jigglypuff was #7, so you probably enjoy that, Morbid. :awesome:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yes I've played all FE's she's a gol-digga.... "someday I'll love you more than money" wtf is that bs lol.

But-but she's a recurring character! Ok lets add omochao cause he showed up in most sonic games.

Hong's moveset: oh yes let's just slap random stuff on random character like anna, sol katti as a jab is laughable, that weapon deserves more respect than that (why the hell is she using iconic weapons from OTHER lords?). If were gonna slap random moves from a game on a character it would best suit a character like the tactician, mii, and the villager. Not Anna.

Anyways I still think sakurai is gonna stick with the lords, because of obvious reasons, It'll probably end up marth, ike, roy.
If I wanted a spear character I'd rather have waddle dee.

Edit: Staffs heal in FE they are not attack based, so the staff thing is moot.
all I can see her legitimate using is a levin sword/with some possible spears. but again I don't see her happening over the other FE choices.
You forgot the part where she said it playfully, and then gravely said "no, seriously." I was being silly, you didn't notice or didn't care, and still am, look at that, it's part of her character, would you deny her that? I find her whimsical cheerfulness exactly that.
Also, recurring doesn't have much to do with it, it's the sum of her roles that's important, a number isn't useful without significance after all.
While I agree that Lyn's blade deserves much more respect than that, I agreed moreso with one folk's later suggestion that it just be generics instead of legendaries. Besides that, the prompt for me to show the moveset is to show what can be done with her than with other characters, would you not agree that it's more believable for Anna to use all sorts of weapons as opposed to any other high profile candidate? I have no illusions that she'd use Sol or Mana or any of the other legendaries, but she just might (use the more obscure legendaries).

As for sticking with Lords, all I can offer is my opinion on that, and my estimation of what Sakurai has said (regarding uniqueness, and his ability to seemingly randomly see potential in a character, over popularity which he still takes into account), is that no precedent for something of a lower order, lower order being the corollary game class/designation, is sacred when compared to what I view as a more strict adherence to a higher order pattern, that of keeping specific characters regardless of their designation within the game at that time.

For staffs, you ignore pretty much every other implication, is every move in Smash an attack? Peach pulling turnips? Ivysaur's healing in Project: Melee? Who's to say he won't use the warp concept for her recovery that we've talked about? I think it would be wonderful, and certainly possible. who says she can't heal a certain amount before the staff breaks from use for that stock, maybe 15% representing 15 uses for a Mend? I am happy that you acknowledge the certain possibility of spears. For the Levin Sword, I'm not sure if we're clear on this, but it is more like a magic tome than anything else, so that's great. I don't really see what seeing things has to do with this either, I'm no seer nor time traveler.

Morbi

Scavenger
1. Gengar
2. Jigglypuff
3. Gyarados
4. Mewtwo
5. Alakazam

That is what I got for the results, it is pretty accurate.

Yeah, Mewtwo won mine. While Charizard is cool, I prefer the more "energy, mystic" Pokemon. Magikarp gets a bad rep, since he turns into Gyrados as well.

Pikachu and Meowth barely made the top 25 on mine. Jigglypuff was #7, so you probably enjoy that, Morbid. :awesome:
Yes, I enjoy that very much. Jigglypuff needs to be on everyone's list!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I took it and then forgot my results.

Something like
1. Tauros
2. Rhydon
3. Alakhazam
4. Wartortle
5. Gengar?
Ey, Jiggs and Wiggs were like right after that too, right after Mewtwo too.

I hope Sakurai senpai sees our votes and brings Mewtwo back, and maybe Gengar and stuff! That would be just silly, though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was just wondering the other day this very same thing.... Which ARE my favorite (gen1) Pokemon anyway?

It's really hard to choose, as I got a sort of attatchment to so many...
But I guess:

Lapras (I completely destroyed a friend of mine with her in Lvl 15 tournament in Pokemon Stadium)
Hitmonchan (FIXED!)
Eevee (So many options :3)
Scyther (even over Scizor)
And I guess Meowth because I just adore THE Team Rocket. Even after the show became a snoozefest, Meowth and Team Rocket were the only reason for which I'd watch the show.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
My results were:
1. Scyther
2. Dragonair
3. Lapras
4. Ninetails
5. Haunter

The only one that I don't like that much is Lapras, it should be Electabuzz.

.n_n.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You forgot the part where she said it playfully, and then gravely said "no, seriously." I was being silly, you didn't notice or didn't care, and still am, look at that, it's part of her character, would you deny her that? I find her whimsical cheerfulness exactly that.
Also, recurring doesn't have much to do with it, it's the sum of her roles that's important, a number isn't useful without significance after all.
While I agree that Lyn's blade deserves much more respect than that, I agreed moreso with one folk's later suggestion that it just be generics instead of legendaries. Besides that, the prompt for me to show the moveset is to show what can be done with her than with other characters, would you not agree that it's more believable for Anna to use all sorts of weapons as opposed to any other high profile candidate? I have no illusions that she'd use Sol or Mana or any of the other legendaries, but she just might (use the more obscure legendaries).

As for sticking with Lords, all I can offer is my opinion on that, and my estimation of what Sakurai has said (regarding uniqueness, and his ability to seemingly randomly see potential in a character, over popularity which he still takes into account), is that no precedent for something of a lower order, lower order being the corollary game class/designation, is sacred when compared to what I view as a more strict adherence to a higher order pattern, that of keeping specific characters regardless of their designation within the game at that time.

For staffs, you ignore pretty much every other implication, is every move in Smash an attack? Peach pulling turnips? Ivysaur's healing in Project: Melee? Who's to say he won't use the warp concept for her recovery that we've talked about? I think it would be wonderful, and certainly possible. who says she can't heal a certain amount before the staff breaks from use for that stock, maybe 15% representing 15 uses for a Mend? I am happy that you acknowledge the certain possibility of spears. For the Levin Sword, I'm not sure if we're clear on this, but it is more like a magic tome than anything else, so that's great. I don't really see what seeing things has to do with this either, I'm no seer nor time traveler.
Her Role is being a merchant, most characters picked for smash are the main protagonists/villains, which anna is not. I don't see the point of her using multiple weapons when someone like the tactician would be far suited for that imo. The lords can be unique, marth is unique, ike is unique, and roy can be made unique, in fact any character can be if sakurai wished. I just don't see him picking someone like anna over roy sorry. Peach using turnips is an attack yes, You must know that the PM team and sakurai's team's are Very different. Warp as up-b? yeah maybe but warp doesn't work on the user :p Yes anna has a chance buts its very minimal at best compared to the other FE choices.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, it's midnight over here. I'm going to go to bed and check it tomorrow morning. G'night, everyone!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
All this voting made me secretly wish something.

I'd love to play a Pokemon fighting game sorta DBZ Tenkaichi style, where each player chooses 1-6 Pokemon and duke it out in a battlefield. With changing terrain, mid-battle evolving, and other bunch of things.
It would be a console exclusive experience, kinda like Gale of Darkness for the Gamecube.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Her Role is being a merchant, most characters picked for smash are the main protagonists/villains, which anna is not. I don't see the point of her using multiple weapons when someone like the tactician would be far suited for that imo. The lords can be unique, marth is unique, ike is unique, and roy can be made unique, in fact any character can be if sakurai wished. I just don't see him picking someone like anna over roy sorry. Peach using turnips is an attack yes, You must know that the PM team and sakurai's team's are Very different. Warp as up-b? yeah maybe but warp doesn't work on the user :p Yes anna has a chance buts its very minimal at best compared to the other FE choices.
What was that about second seals not being? As for warp, we had a similar discussion in the thread about that, and we pitched the ability to swap places if it hits the enemy, not very plausible at all, but still more warp-y, right? :p Anyone can be unique, my curious task is to try and somehow demonstrate that x or y character is more likely to be unique under Sakurai's watch than any other, but that's possibly the most flimsy territory we have in prediction, it's not safe either way, but it's easy to say that Anna has more base potential than many other options. The P:M team also has it where if you use the heal often enough that Ivysaur gets a hyperbeam, so yeah it's an attack too. I was grasping for examples, couldn't think of many~ Oh, G&W's bucket, Pika's up-B isn't that often used in offensive roles, cape is used more for the turning than the damage, FLUDD is just a spacing tool as well.

I thank you for at least considering my point of view, and I think we both gained an understanding. Goodnight!

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
All this voting made me secretly wish something.

I'd love to play a Pokemon fighting game sorta DBZ Tenkaichi style, where each player chooses 1-6 Pokemon and duke it out in a battlefield. With changing terrain, mid-battle evolving, and other bunch of things.
It would be a console exclusive experience, kinda like Gale of Darkness for the Gamecube.
Well my Pokemon Game dream would be a open world MMO with all the regions + other ones from the anime and the manga where the mechanic of the battle would be a Tales of Series system (hard to explain in more detailed way).
.n_n.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well my Pokemon Game dream would be a open world MMO with all the regions + other ones from the anime and the manga where the mechanic of the battle would be a Tales of Series system (hard to explain in more detailed way).
.n_n.

Well I had your mechanic idea in the back of my mind when I wished it. :D I just didn't remember who came up with it. But yeah, that'd be pretty sweet.

Imagine the tournament scene would be epic. Especially if it was made to work with the same Pokemon you train on the mainstream Pokemon games.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
What was that about second seals not being? As for warp, we had a similar discussion in the thread about that, and we pitched the ability to swap places if it hits the enemy, not very plausible at all, but still more warp-y, right? :p Anyone can be unique, my curious task is to try and somehow demonstrate that x or y character is more likely to be unique under Sakurai's watch than any other, but that's possibly the most flimsy territory we have in prediction, it's not safe either way, but it's easy to say that Anna has more base potential than many other options. The P:M team also has it where if you use the heal often enough that Ivysaur gets a hyperbeam, so yeah it's an attack too. I was grasping for examples, couldn't think of many~ Oh, G&W's bucket, Pika's up-B isn't that often used in offensive roles, cape is used more for the turning than the damage, FLUDD is just a spacing tool as well.

I thank you for at least considering my point of view, and I think we both gained an understanding. Goodnight!
No i'm not done with you :evil:, lol jk lets see here.

Second seals will probably not be used to base a moveset off a character yes.
no not very plausible, this ain't no manaphy item were talkin about here.
I disagree that she has the highest base potential, if were gonna do that the award should go to the tactician, for being able to use tomes/swords in a standard class.

Solarbeam not hyper, imo Ivysaur was perfectly fine with his moveset, its just his recovery just plain sucked, but I do like how they gave him more offense to offset that. and yes you were :p attack, but still used, mindgames really, yes.

I guess i have, that her shot is very minimal at best but IF by some stroke of randomness she's in, i'd bet sakurai could make her into a fun character (he can do that with any character really), just like he has always has. Goodnight.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well I had your mechanic idea in the back of my mind when I wished it. :D I just didn't remember who came up with it. But yeah, that'd be pretty sweet.

Imagine the tournament scene would be epic. Especially if it was made to work with the same Pokemon you train on the mainstream Pokemon games.
Oh now I will have sweet dreams :awesome: .
-n_n.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
My poke favorites:
1. Pikachu (even tho i dislike his spamness in smash, be more aggro pikachu!)
2. Typhlosion
3. Scizor
4. Samurott
5. Lucario
6. Gardevoir
7. Mew
8. Suicune
9. Lugia
10. Jigglypuff :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I understand that you extremely adamant about your opinion, that is a good thing. However, once you start dismissing that notion that a pattern exists arbitrarily... there is a problem. About the logical fallacy thing, I quoted your post, it was there. I respond and reread what you wrote, it was gone. It was most likely a mistake on my part, I am not sure why you would fallaciously assert the same thing over and over again. So that is most likely a mistake on my part. So I apologize for that. It seemed like it at the time.
And you are adamant about yours. I'll give you that much.

However, people agreeing with you are literally unintelligent. I will just call it like it is.

Habanero, you want to say something here? I'm pretty sure Morbid's calling you an idiot.

If you dismiss the premise that a pattern can be two circumstantial events, you do not know what a pattern is. If you cannot look past your own perspective and admit that a pattern is subjective and exists (regardless of its relevance or significance) you are simply ignorant. There IS a pattern, I am not asserting that you have to assume it is objective and that there are going to be 2 retros. I am just stating the overt and obvious. That is it, that is why I can't take you seriously.
I'm not arguing that "two circumstantial events" can't be a pattern. I'm saying (and what has been MY main point this entire ****ing thing that you cannot seem to comprehend) is that the pattern you keep jacking off to doesn't exist. Melee had only 1 "retro" while Brawl had 2. The only "pattern" is that there's been at least one revival in the two games, which I ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGED. However, it tied into my 2nd main point (the one you keep saying you agree with but still ***** at me for your own failure to grasp the first point) in that patterns don't dictate the future. Which I'm not convinced you actually agree with, since according to you, we're likely to get 2 "retros" just because Melee and Brawl did (when only Brawl did; pretty sure not even you can argue that one time, a pattern does not make).

Moral of the story; that was what I was getting at. I mentioned that notion a plethora of times. I was very concise about it.
Spouting off the same bull**** hundreds of times does not make it not bull****.

As for your edit... I don't understand why you cant see that this is a devils advocate post. I do not necessarily believe that Sakurai intentionally created a pattern. However, a pattern was established. To question that, would be to question my sanity. That doesn't mean I think 2 retros will be in Smash 4. That doesn't mean that I think Sakurai is going to stick to the pattern. That doesn't mean that Sakurai even knows that a pattern exists. It just means that there IS a pattern.
Because you fail at Devil's Advocate.
Funny that you bring up questioning your sanity, since with all the contradictions you make, it's any wonder why I still try to butt heads of logic with you.
First you say we're likely to get 2 retros because of a fabricated pattern, now you say you don't think it's going to happen just because of the same fabricated pattern. Just....what?

You still do not understand the premise of my argument. You cannot kill the notion that there was a pattern unless Sakurai blatantly dismisses the premise that he will use the same formula. I never alluded to retros being added for retros sake, that is another straw man fallacy. You already KNOW that they are implied retros. Not to mention I personally don't even call the latter half retro characters. So there is NO way you defeated that argument (without the use of a straw man).
Wait a minute....why would you even claim the "2 retros" pattern exists, if you don't even consider "the latter half" to be "retro"?
This is a true logical fallacy right here, because by all means, you shouldn't even believe in the pattern since it goes against what you believe!
MORE contradiction!

Since you want to bring a religious example later into the argument, I'll use it too.
You are the same as an atheist that argues in favor of God's existence.

Just as a final note, because that appears to be all that you read. I agree with you; however, I can put my opinion aside for objective fact (there is a pattern). What we do with that is up to our discretion, it is your prerogative to believe it is bull****, and it is up to the guy I was defending to believe what he wants to believe. You have no evidence to support your claim, just opinion based on evidence (which is circumstantial evidence or empirical evidence at best).[/quote]
You know, it's heavily hypocritical to claim my statement as "just an opinion based on circumstantial evidence", while claiming your "pattern", which is nothing but an opinion of yours based on circumstantial evidence (that isn't even accurate) as an objective fact.
When will the contradiction end?!

Not to mention Sakurai already mentioned he would be adding a retro character (paraphrasing). So we are literally arguing about whether or not he will push the boundaries and add a second. That is what it boils down to. I don't think it was worth it. It is similar to trying to convince a religious person that nothing spiritual exists, it is impossible. They will use their own source material as fact, and deny the very sciences that they claim God created. Those are just circular as can be. So is this, I have stated my main point in almost every wall of text sent your way, if you cannot comprehend it, I am done. You can have the final word.
Sakurai never said that. You can't even paraphrase it that way.
What he said was that he planned on doing his best to breathe new life into older characters through Smash Bros., and that he's fortunate for the opportunity.
That doesn't mean there without a doubt will be one. Just that Sakurai is interested. Which is nothing new.

And nice copout, by the way. "If you don't accept my bull**** no matter how many times I fling it at you, I quit!" I actually wish people would do that more often; saves me the displeasure of having to make them stop trying to feed me their bull.

1. There IS a pattern (regardless of relevance or significance, whether or not Sakurai is even aware of it, or did it intentionally is not important).
"There is a pattern because I say so! Who cares if it's one that goes against what I believe and doesn't hold together, it exists damn it!"

2. Adding a second retro character is feasible even if there was not a pattern.
Irrelevant to the point.
No one's arguing the feasibility of it, especially since through evidence (not patterns), we know Sakurai is fond of reviving classics for the modern age.
What is being argued is the whole concept of the "pattern" being reason it's going to happen, which you flip-flop about.

3. Patterns are subjected and interpreted by the individual. So it is dependent on the individual.
Yet even more contradiction!
So, you claim that there being a pattern is objective fact and are going ape**** because I say there isn't....yet claim patterns are subjective and dependent on the individual?
Make up your ****ing mind; you can't have it both ways.

4. No one is ignorant for choosing to believe a pattern that is clearly there.
But-but patterns r subjective n dependent on the individual...

5. By going against the herd, you are following a pattern of your own, so choosing one pattern over the other and dismissing the notion of the latter is ridiculous.
With all your accusations of me not understanding what a pattern is, this is rather ironic.
If I don't be an ignorant sheep that blindly follows a false pattern, I'm not following an alternate pattern, I'm following no pattern at all.

I also love the subtext with this. "It's ok to choose one pattern and dismiss another if people follow that pattern as a group! If you don't follow the group, then woe to you!"

6. I apologize about the fallacy thing. I am not used to people editing their posts like crazy after I respond to them.
Because two ****ing posts is "like crazy".
Only thing "like crazy" about this whole thing is you, MorbidContradiction.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Got:
1) Dratini
2) Kabuto
3) Beedrill
4) Kabutops
5) Mew

I just realized I have pretty odd favorites...
My poke favorites:
1. Pikachu (even tho i dislike his spamness in smash, be more aggro pikachu!)
2. Typhlosion
3. Scizor
4. Samurott
5. Lucario
6. Gardevoir
7. Mew
8. Suicune
9. Lugia
10. Jigglypuff :awesome:
Not sure what this has to do with the thread but okay.

My favorites:

1. Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile
2. Meganium
3. Flygon
4. Charmander
5. Mawile
6. Seviper
7. Armaldo
8. Snivy
9. Nidoqueen
10. Greninja
11. Lugia
12. Helioptile

And, holy...
Morbid's gonna have a rude awakening later.

----

Gune

Smash Lord
Well its official this month sucked ass in terms of smash content I guess a pokemon reveal was to much to ask of gamefreak and Sakurai, Oh well moving on to the next month.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The picture with Mario and Luigi in the boxing ring stage confirms Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man.

People were saying that they might be confirmed today because of Punch-Out!!'s anniversary and release dates of both Wii Party U and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.

The boxing ring refers to both Wii Sports and Punch-Out!! That is obvious but Pac-Man is subtle. See, this is how it goes...

Mario and Luigi = Mario Bros. (arcade)
Boxing ring = Punch-Out!! (arcade)

Both are arcade games and Pac-Man is an arcade game.

:troll:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1.) Abra
2.) Alakazam
3.) Raichu
4.) Meowth
5.) Kadabra.

Apparently my favourite line is pretty clear cut. Abra's pretty ace.

Shame none of my top 5 will ever appear in Smash outside maybe a Pokeball for Meowth. I sometimes envy those who like Charizard, Mewtwo, Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Jigglypuff.

Also is it just me or is today's screenshot the first time Luigi looks like he's making fun of the other person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom