• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The others, I get (aside from Kamek; he's not exactly retro).
Perhaps you are right on Kamek, but even still, Kamek is still mostly remembered from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island the most.

That and Kamek really hasn't had a constant slate of appearances since the gold old Super Nintendo days, really. I'm still sad that Kamek was cut from Mario Kart, and that Kamek likely won't appear in another Mario Kart game any time soon. :(
But why do people bring up Star Man when Fighter Hayabusa was the "main" character of Pro Wrestling?
Is there something I don't know about in regards to him?
As for not choosing Fighter Hayabusa or the Amazon and instead choosing Starman... I don't know much of anything about Pro Wrestling. I played it a few times back in the day, but that's it. I mostly just chose Starman because of videos like this and videos like this that won me over.

Oh, and while we're at it, the guys in this video should be playable in Smash Bros., too. They could teach Mewtwo a thing or two about proper form on using hypnosis! :rotfl:

Blackmamba618

Smash Rookie
I have made what i think is the perfect roster

Notes:
45 slots- seems logical after melee (25) and brawl (35)
total of 50 characters-nice round number
characters under the 45 block are transformations
Cuts: Jiggs( hate her, more deserving pokes), Snake (pacman seems to fit more)
My trainer has Froakie, Bayleef, and Blaziken (all popular and owned by anime main characters)
All 6 gens of Pokemon are represented

What do y'all think?

Notes:
My trainer has Froakie, Bayleef, and Blaziken (all popular and owned by anime main characters)

What do y'all think?

sorry for double post

Attachments

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Notes:

What do y'all think?
So much pokemon....

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

Notes:

What do y'all think?
Went a little over board with Pokemon, I see that your trying to represent all 6 GENs but it's just too much and cutting Jigglypuff.

Any particular reason Shadow Mario is there?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One more than brawl... Doesn't seem illogical to me
OH!

I thought you meant that there was a Johto Trainer and THEN those pokemon.

Whoops.

Regardless, when it comes to pokemon characters, most people view the Brawl Roster + Mewtwo as the best solution.

And why not both Snake and Pac-Man?

D

Deleted member

Doesn't the fact that those games function as galleries and that there are modes that referring to Game & Watch as "classic" mean that, by definition, Game & Watch was still considered retro back then? The whole novelty of them was for allowing younger players to play the ever retro games, was it not? I think through that, Mr. Game & Watch would be considered retro for that reason.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not into the pattern bull**** either. I speak from common sense though when I say that Mr. Game & Watch was considered one of the "retro representatives" in Melee. If he wasn't made to capture that nostalgia value, I don't see why he was made into being a 2D entity with a severe lack of frames much like the classic 1980 games.
"Retro" within context of Smash typically refers to characters risen from the depths of irrelevancy. Ice Climber had nothing since it's one title in '86. Pit was dormant for over a decade. Aside from making cameos and being a secret character in Mario Kart DS, R.O.B.'s franchise died in a short amount of time quite some time before Brawl.
The Game & Watch franchise, having what can labeled as remakes (that coincide with rereleases of the original versions), was not irrelevant prior to Melee.

As for Game & Watch himself.....he didn't exist prior to Melee. There was no "Mr. Game & Watch"; he's essentially an original character who serves as a representative of the G&W franchise by being an amalgam of numerous unnamed characters.
G&W was more of an homage to an important piece of Nintendo history and a surprise character than he was a "retro" like the Ice Climbers.

Blackmamba618

Smash Rookie
Went a little over board with Pokemon, I see that your trying to represent all 6 GENs but it's just too much and cutting Jigglypuff.

Any particular reason Shadow Mario is there?
Bowser Jr transformation

OH!

I thought you meant that there was a Johto Trainer and THEN those pokemon.

Whoops.

Regardless, when it comes to pokemon characters, most people view the Brawl Roster + Mewtwo as the best solution.

And why not both Snake and Pac-Man?
I don't see why it has to be that way. In my roster, we get an upgrade from Jiggs- Genesect (my opinion). Plus, the new trainer has the same mechanics as the old one except all gens of Pokemon are represented while still using relevant, popular pokes

And I would have liked to keep Snake too but wanted to keep my slots to 45

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Notes:

What do y'all think?
First off, welcome to the Smashboards! As for your roster-

You may hate Jiggs, but that's your opinion. Genesect has a very slim chance, and theres no way he would get in along with Lucario AND Mewtwo. I can't really see the orginal Pokemon Trainer from Brawl getting replaced, but I guess I'd be OK with a new Pokemon Trainer. Snake is a bit more understandable cut. Lastly I think we'll be getting a Fire Emblem newcomer, for a total of 3 Fire Emblem characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Flare is rather cookie-cutter, in that sense. They did seem more Nazi-like than the rest, however, considering how willing they are to kill for a master-race beautiful world.
Well if there's ever a full on Nazi group (btw, such group should just try to wipe out certain groups of people like the Nazis did), this needs to be what happens to them at the hand of like a God Pokémon...

That would literally be the most epic thing to happen to Pokémon in forever... :shades:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't see why it has to be that way. In my roster, we get an upgrade from Jiggs- Genesect (my opinion). Plus, the new trainer has the same mechanics as the old one except all gens of Pokemon are represented while still using relevant, popular pokes

And I would have liked to keep Snake too but wanted to keep my slots to 45
Here's the thing though. Jiggs and the Kanto Starters are much more popular and (with X and Y) relevant than the other pokes there. The only comparable one is Blaziken which is still a couple notches down. Besides, why do we have to have all Gens represented in the first place? Sakurai doesn't care about that. And even if he did, there are other ways of representation like Bosses, stage hazards, pokeball summons, etc.

Ah. So slot restraints. Okay.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why cut two of the top tier all-time smash bros characters=???

Jigglypuff is amazing. Just watch double rest.

As for Snake... him and Olimar in Brawl showcased amazing potential and realized a lot of it, but man, they still both got a ton of untapped potential.

Seriously, did you even play Smash 64 or Melee Jigglypuff, or Snake in Brawl=??? (Jigglypuff in Brawl is an abomination) Because they were awesome.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps you are right on Kamek, but even still, Kamek is still mostly remembered from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island the most.

That and Kamek really hasn't had a constant slate of appearances since the gold old Super Nintendo days, really. I'm still sad that Kamek was cut from Mario Kart, and that Kamek likely won't appear in another Mario Kart game any time soon. :(
How many modern Mario games have you played?
Kamek's been making a bunch of appearances in the past decade. :laugh:

As for not choosing Fighter Hayabusa or the Amazon and instead choosing Starman... I don't know much of anything about Pro Wrestling. I played it a few times back in the day, but that's it. I mostly just chose Starman because of videos like this and videos like this that won me over.
I understand. Though when I said that, I was referring to people in general, not just you.
Star Man seems to be getting acknowledged by more people lately, and I'm really wondering if those homages had something to do with it...
To be fair, I suppose people would be more interested the pink bodysuit star-face guy than some random Japanese dude.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think I said anything on the subject earlier, but it makes a surprising amount of sense that the Pokemon Company is standing between Sakurai and a Pokemon reveal. If we're going to get a 3DS image reveal, I'd bank on it being next week due to there already being 2 3DS screenshots this week, but otherwise, it's clearly anyone's guess. Hopefully we get something tomorrow or Friday other than this dull cutesy crap we've been choking down for a little while.
I think we'll likely get something big in the next 2 weeks involving Pokémon; my guess being a stage.
I think this is the time of night where Saturn gets frustrated because we don't agree with him to the point where he leaves and tries to imply we're all idiots and he's the only one with a brain.
I think the poor guy needs a hug from a real Smash Brother from another Smash Mother.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Cuts: Jiggs( hate her, more deserving pokes)
What do y'all think?
ya i don't want to be repetitions of what every one else had said but puff isn't going anywhere, she has been in all 3 smash bros games, and now she has a new type too.
if there was a time to cut her it would have been pre-brawl and they didn't. i believe its safe to say jiggs isn't going anywhere

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How many modern Mario games have you played?
Kamek's been making a bunch of appearances in the past decade. :laugh:
The only ones I can think of are Yoshi's Island DS, both Mario Galaxy games, Paper Mario, and one of the NEW Super Mario Bros. games (I think).
I understand. Though when I said that, I was referring to people in general, not just you.
Star Man seems to be getting acknowledged by more people lately, and I'm really wondering if those homages had something to do with it...
To be fair, I suppose people would be more interested the pink bodysuit star-face guy more than some random Japanese dude.
Well yeah, that is of course where it came from! :laugh: Apparently Starman (or rather, that guy dressed as Starman) was a huge hit on some national wrestling program.

Also, yeah, Starman sticks out a lot. He's supposedly from another planet, and he's in a pink suit. C'mon, why wouldn't Smash Bros. need a guy in a pink suit=???

But seriously speaking, I got minimal interesting in Pro Wrestling (other than some awesome quotes or big time fails), but I would love the heck out of one of those characters as a playable character, or heck, even a sequel to that randomly awesome game! :chuckle:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The only ones I can think of are Yoshi's Island DS, both Mario Galaxy games, Paper Mario, and one of the NEW Super Mario Bros. games (I think).
He's also in 2 Mario Partys , Dream Team and New Super Mario Bros U.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It might NOT be Kamek in Super Princess Peach given how the glossary of him refers to him as a Kamek, the Japanese name of Magikoopas, though it also the name of Kamek himself in Japan. It makes sense that Kamek would be a powerful Magikoopa and be chosen to guard Luigi though.

D

Deleted member

Also, yeah, Starman sticks out a lot. He's supposedly from another planet, and he's in a pink suit. C'mon, why wouldn't Smash Bros. need a guy in a pink suit=???

But seriously speaking, I got minimal interesting in Pro Wrestling (other than some awesome quotes or big time fails), but I would love the heck out of one of those characters as a playable character, or heck, even a sequel to that randomly awesome game! :chuckle:
What, Mac's hoodie isn't enough? :troll:

But admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing Star Man. (Is it Star Man or Starman?) Or Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven (maybe with some Pro Wrestling techniques, including Star Man's.....?).

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I suddenly want Little Mac to have that as an alternate costume.

NAMCO BANDAI!

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!

(although to be fair, Little Mac doesn't wear the mask)
they better take advantage of it, or it will be a bigger let down then battle revolution
(okay not that much of a let down but still it would be a wasted opportunity)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What, Mac's hoodie isn't enough? :troll:
It's not enough alien man to satisfy a sophisticated person like myself. *strokes his neck*
But admittedly, I wouldn't mind seeing Star Man. (Is it Star Man or Starman?) Or Wrestler from Rhythm Heaven (maybe with some Pro Wrestling techniques, including Star Man's.....?).
I think it's Starman, oddly enough. But yeah, him or the wrestler from Rhythm Heaven (POSE FOR THE FANS!!!) would be amazing playable characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So guys...

...judging by these Dojo pictures...

...I think Mario is confirmed guys.

I really do.

I think we should all rest easy now.

Hopefully Link will be confirmed next.

I fear Link won't return.

Link just isn't recent or relevant enough.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
So guys...

...judging by these Dojo pictures...

...I think Mario is confirmed guys.

I really do.

I think we should all rest easy now.

Hopefully Link will be confirmed next.

I fear Link won't return.

Link just isn't recent or relevant enough.
Link is a weak, slow, pathetic clone of Toon Link. I think Sakurai will scrap him like he did with Pichu. =(

-----

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Link is a weak, slow, pathetic clone of Toon Link. I think Sakurai will scrap him like he did with Pichu. =(

-----
What are you talking about, Pichu is a shoe-in.

Heck, Pichu is an arm in, too.

The only characters more confirmed than Pichu are Dr. Mario, Blue Toad, Purple Toad, Slightly Orange but mostly Brown Toad, Dr. Kawawhatever, Andross' Brain, Patrick Star's Rock, Darth Vader's scar tissue, and Mega Man's breasts.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Link is a weak, slow, pathetic clone of Toon
-----
what is sad is that actually feels true:(
What are you talking about, Pichu is a shoe-in.

Heck, Pichu is an arm in, too.

The only characters more confirmed than Pichu are Dr. Mario, Blue Toad, Purple Toad, Slightly Orange but mostly Brown Toad, Dr. Kawawhatever, Andross' Brain, Patrick Star's Rock, Darth Vader's scar tissue, and Mega Man's breasts.
View attachment 3501

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I just meant he's gay. So yeah, monster is synonymous.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just meant he's gay. So yeah, monster is synonymous.
You just know that you will not stop my quest to become the best aggro as can be Toon Link for a second and third time.

That is why not just am I the Lucario, Ridley, and Smash Boards undisputed WORLD CHAMPION, but the ALL-TIME DEFENDER OF THE WAYS OF THE TOON!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Dixie has in fact appeared more than K. Rool and also represented the mainstream Donkey Kong series outside it's own series in games such as Mario Sports, Diddy Kong Racing, and almost Brawl (yes I know she was supposedly a duo mechanic, but you can still play as her like you can play as Nana).
Oh yes, Dixie has ONE more appearance than K. Rool. Which is all thanks to the Mario spin-off titles. You're overplaying that a bit too much for just one additional appearance, don't you think? After all, K. Rool pretty much been the main villain for most of the Donkey Kong games (not including Konga, Returns, and Tropical Freeze [to our knowledge]). So with that in mind, Dixie is still fairly insignificant to the franchise as a whole when you compare her to the main antagonist. It isn't like she has Zelda or Peach status, she's just another sidekick that tags along. She isn't nearly as important as everyone makes her out to be, but Dixie still fits as a fourth playable character. K. Rool would still be the best choice for a third one, due to his role as the overarching antagonist.
Most wouldn't consider being playable in a game series more to be a plus, but in the case that it rivals a character's importance I would count this.
So then, you're suggesting a secondary sidekick is more important than the overarching villain of the franchise?
Not to mention Dixie Kong starred in her very own game. She seems to be very popular in Japan as well and Kongs just seem like the more preffered characters in the Donkey Kong Country series. Granted King K. Rool not being a Kong would bring diversity, but still. Even if K. Rool is the villian, she's just as iconic to the series if not slightly more.
Yes she stared in her own game, with K. Rool remaining as the main villain. She then didn't appear in the following game that had three new characters replace her, but it still had K. Rool as the main villain.

Your reasoning for Dixie being more important to the Donkey Kong franchise as a whole is poorly constructed, she isn't a main heroine, she's a sidekick's sidekick primarily. Being playable doesn't suggest that a character is overwhelmingly important.

---
PS: Lysandre is best Pokemon villain. :p
I don't like Lysandre all that much, Cyrus / Giovanni / N (Even though not really villain) will always remain on top to me.

[collapse="lel xy spoilers"]Lysandre's intentions weren't really all the interesting, "wow i hate the world cause its not pretty so ill just kill everybody waah"
It doesn't help that it all could have been avoided if Sycamore just spoke to Lysandre for like 5 minutes about it.
AZ is like my fav char of this gen tho, but I just think the way they introduced him was really weird. But I did like his backstory a bit, pretty well thought out (even though I feel that he could have had a much more impact on the actual plot than just showing up at one point to confirm his existence).

Also Looker quickly became like my favorite Pokémon character like ever and he barely does anything in x and y[/collapse]

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Eh, none of the possible Zelda newcomers seem very likely. I can see either Toon Zelda/Tetra or Tingle getting in, maybe Impa. I honestly don't think any Zelda newcomer is very likely at this point.
Tingle is the most likely, while Tetra is in a close second, and Impa is not very likely since she is an old little lady again in LBW.

?????????????

Smash Master
On the topic of main Pokemon antagonists...

My favorite is Giovanni. I actually like the fact that he DOESN'T have a big grand scheme. He's just a mafia boss.

In a world like Pokemon, I think that makes the most sense. The greatest villain is someone who becomes so obsessed with being the best, having the best Pokemon, that they lose the emotional reasons they became a trainer in the first place.

I think every other villain has had an overblown, biased, not very well thought out plan (especially Magma and Aqua). N wasn't bad, but he was essentially tricked, and Ghestis was more or less similar to Giovanni.

On Dixie vs. K. Rool...

K. Rool clearly has more prominent importance to the series as a whole.

First, what are we constituting as the main DK series? For me, it's the first DKC 1-3, DK64, and DKC: Returns, as well as Tropical Freeze. I view everything else as a "side series," but that might just be me.

King K. Rool, then, was created at the start of the series and is the only recurring villain of the series (I would say the main villain of the series). Dixie phases in and out as an additional partner. She is the main heroine of DKC3, and that's notable, but K. Rool is still the returning villain of that game.

If Dixie gets in SSB4 over K. Rool, it will be because K. Rool hasn't appeared (to our knowledge) in the "Donkey Kong Country Returns" series. For what it's worth, it is entirely possible (and maybe probable) that Dixie is a more well-known character to the younger generation because of spin-off appearances. And maybe that's worth a lot. But I don't think it lessens K. Rool as a character.

On other topics...

I think Tetra is the most likely new Zelda rep. Little Mac is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom