• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well good luck to getting it, and feel free to add me, it's always fun to play with friends. :)
I'll get it soon, I think I have Gamestop giftcards.... I just don't have that much money right now. Ah well.

Wow, my expectations for this site have dropped dramatically. I'm gonna go do other stuff.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The notion of 4 DK characters being unnecessary is ridiculous if you ask me. DK is one of the Nintendo's larger franchises, and K. Rool and Dixie both have potential (espescially K. Rool) and most other franchises don't have any remaining characters that can compare to them in term of importance, potential, and also support. (Dixie may not have as much support as K. Rool) Krystal and Bandana Dee for examples, they can't compare to K. Rool and Dixie, though they could also be the 4th characters for their respective franchise. The DK franchise is easily the next best choice to have 4 characters.

Bandana Dee is more important than Mario.:cool:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
[Imagine Nintendo without Donkey Kong arcade machines.
Radar Scope and Love Tester for SSB4!:troll:

Just wondering: who do you guys think is more important? Toad or Dixie Kong? How about Bowser Jr. vs Dixie Kong?

----
What do you mean.
Important their respective series, or likely for Smash?

EDIT: Noooooooo!!!!! A double post!!!!

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'll get it soon, I think I have Gamestop giftcards.... I just don't have that much money right now. Ah well.

Wow, my expectations for this site have dropped dramatically. I'm gonna go do other stuff.
What? expectation dropped? Was I not sarcastic and dickish enough? :c

How about "Come on and challenge me scrub" or "Your opinion is boring and stupid!" or better yet "Endless Mndless Rambling!" :c Am I meeting the expectations yet? :c

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Off topic: I just realized there isn't a Skull kid support thread!
I'll be right back!
I'm just gonna make a thread.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
What do you mean.
Important their respective series, or likely for Smash?

EDIT: Noooooooo!!!!! A double post!!!!
HERE COMES THE INFRACTION FAIRY
GONNA HAND OUT UR INFRACTIONZ

You can right click "reply" on someone else's post, open it in a new tab and copy it, and then paste the reply into your own post through editing. It's useful if nobody replies after you.

just add Dixie and K Rool. both bring something different to the table and the series definitely warrants the 2 slots.
How does Dixie bring something different to the table? (besides the helicopter hair?)

-----

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Only appeared once more, it seems, but beside the point. Being in more Spin-Off games (not even DK games, for the most part) makes her more important? I guess that's your opinion. Okay.
You can choose to disagree, but it counts regardless. Dixie being in any game counts as appearing and representing Donkey Kong Country more than King K. Rool has.

This already says "opinion".
I said most wouldn't consider it to be a plus. But it is a plus.

Again, I don't consider Spin-Off games as valuable resources for "importance".
They are. It represents characters and sometimes franchises and thus it counts as representation of both in the Nintendo universe.

Look at Mario Kart 7
um........why?

False. She co-starred in a Donkey Kong game along with her cousin, Kiddie Kong.
False. She was the main character. Kiddy was an infamous side kick. Donkey Kong didn't "Co-starr" in Donkey Kong Country. He was the main character. Both Dixie and Donkey Kong had more importance than their side kicks.

Somehow, I wouldn't consider this factual.
And yet it is. You don't have to consider this or count this, but regardless it counts and has meaning. I bet you would count this stuff if it was in favor of King K. Rool. I really do.

Anyway, this is clearly an opinionated argument
Yeah, not really. It's mostly just you saying that Dixie appearing in a video game doesn't count as Dixie appearing in a video game. You even go as far to dismiss her major role as a main character and just not count her pluses. Cute.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
We already had one dood. We've had one since like day one.

Seriously, 2 or 3 people quoted you and posted a link to the other one trying to stop you from making it! :laugh:
Oh. I feel stupid now.
How do you delete a thread?

And before I do this, Is there a BanjoKazooie support thread?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
How does Dixie bring something different to the table? (besides the helicopter hair?)

-----
As far as moveset is concerned, k rool really only brings an additional heavy weight character. Then there's the more arbitrary crap some ppl care about.

K.rool adds a villain,Dixie adds a female. Dixie has recency and more appearances in her favor, while krool speaks to the entirety of the franchise. That's why I say just add both cause both offer something that the other doesn't supply.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Metal Mario, Honey Queen, Wiggler, and Lakitu, yet no Waluigi.

Gotta admit, Lotus proves a point. Spin-Off rosters aren't always the best places to look for in terms of importance.
Ummm, the relevance? Dixie never appeared in a Mario Kart game. Funky Kong did, but that's Mario Kart being crazy with the roster so there is no reason to count Mario Kart. Mario Kart's roster tends to be different from most Mario rosters. It's about which character has been represented in the Nintendo Universe more and that Nintendo has chosen Dixie to be their DKC character in the sports games more often than King K. Rool. Same goes for Diddy Kong Racing.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Ummm, the relevance? Dixie never appeared in a Mario Kart game. Funky Kong did, but that's Mario Kart being crazy with the roster so there is no reason to count Mario Kart. It's about which character has been represented in the Nintendo Universe more and that Nintendo has chosen Dixie to be their DKC character in the sports games more often than King K. Rool. Same goes for Diddy Kong Racing.
Exactly, though. There's no reason to count Mario Kart, one of the most well-known spin-offs, because the roster is crazy. That said, couldn't the same logic apply to other spin-offs? The only true measurement at that point becomes main-series titles, where there are no games to "not count". That's where King K. Rool suddenly has as much merit as Dixie King.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
We lose Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Toadette, Dry Bones, Birdo, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr, Waluigi, King Boo, Funky Kong and Dry Bowser for Metal Mario, Honey Queen, Wiggler, and Lakitu.

Metal Mario is even an actual character in Mario originally, a Mario character but in Smash Bros. Not even a Mario spinoff, its technically a spinoff of a spinoff!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And before I do this, Is there a BanjoKazooie support thread?
Check the directory thread.

But probably, although honestly, there's no point in making one since there's literally a 0% chance Banjo will be playable unless Microsoft sells him to Nintendo or a 3rd party company.

Basically, Banjo has as much of a shot at being a playable character as Skyloft.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That said, couldn't the same logic apply to other spin-offs?
Not really, they have a different style than Mario Kart. Mario Kart isn't about adding the most important characters. I count Dixie's appearances as being more important in the Nintendo Universe due to being featured more. She's more important to the Nintendo Universe and not just franchises in particular. It adds on to the importance she already has. I don't know why we are using a game that doesn't even feature Dixie Kong as an example though.

There's no reason to count Mario Kart because it doesn't have Dixie Kong. Not because it has a crazy roster.

We lose Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Toadette, Dry Bones, Birdo, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr, Waluigi, King Boo, Funky Kong and Dry Bowser for Metal Mario, Honey Queen, Wiggler, and Lakitu.
A: People prefer newcomers
B: Apparently there were limitations.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
You can choose to disagree, but it counts regardless. Dixie being in any game counts as appearing and representing Donkey Kong Country more than King K. Rool has.

I said most wouldn't consider it to be a plus. But it is a plus.

They are. It represents characters and sometimes franchises and thus it counts as representation of both in the Nintendo universe.

um........why?

False. She was the main character. Kiddy was an infamous side kick. Donkey Kong didn't "Co-starr" in Donkey Kong Country. He was the main character. Both Dixie and Donkey Kong had more importance than their side kicks.

And yet it is. You don't have to consider this or count this, but regardless it counts and has meaning. I bet you would count this stuff if it was in favor of King K. Rool. I really do.

Yeah, not really. It's mostly just you saying that Dixie appearing in a video game doesn't count as Dixie appearing in a video game. You even go as far to dismiss her major role as a main character and just not count her pluses. Cute.
"You can choose to disagree, but it counts regardless. Dixie being in any game counts as appearing and representing Donkey Kong Country more than King K. Rool has."

If I can disagree, it must mean that there isn't anything proving it as true or false --> opinion

"I said most wouldn't consider it to be a plus. But it is a plus."

If THEY can disagree, it must mean that there isn't anything proving it as true or false --> opinion

"um........why?"

Because its roster is filled with unimportant characters, meaning that it isn't a reliable source for important characters.

"False. She was the main character. Kiddy was an infamous side kick. Donkey Kong didn't "Co-starr" in Donkey Kong Country. He was the main character. Both Dixie and Donkey Kong had more importance than their side kicks."

Depends how you interpret "co-starring", I guess. Oh well, not worth arguing over the definition of a "co-star", obviously.

"And yet it is. You don't have to consider this or count this, but regardless it counts and has meaning. I bet you would count this stuff if it was in favor of King K. Rool. I really do."

If I can disagree, it must mean that there isn't anything proving it as true or false --> opinion

What's even more ironic is that King K. Rool has appeared in quite a few Spin-Offs as well, but I don't recall ever trying to use them to prove his importance. I rely on the fact that he's the main villain of the series to prove he's important.

"Yeah, not really. It's mostly just you saying that Dixie appearing in a video game doesn't count as Dixie appearing in a video game. You even go as far to dismiss her major role as a main character and just not count her pluses. Cute."

Just because I didn't happen to mention Dixie's actual importance doesn't mean I don't think she has any. I was arguing why I thought King K. Rool was more important. Dixie is rather important, but I don't think her appearances outside of the Donkey Kong series compete with King K. Rool's recurring role as the main antagonist in the Donkey Kong games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, King K. Rool is one of the last people who should be considered a shoo-in when Dixie Kong basically rivals all his merits.
Like being a footnote within her franchise for 18 years and the only two reasons people consider her likely having jack squat to do with her merit as a playable character?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Dixie is basically a second Diddy
It is like if Mario had a third brother.
The third most important protagonist,
But is she as important as the antagonist.

I guess I'll try to change the topic;
So, what about that N64 logo?
It's a thing.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Not really, they have a different style than Mario Kart. Mario Kart isn't about adding the most important characters. I count Dixie's appearances as being more important in the Nintendo Universe due to being featured more. She's more important to the Nintendo Universe and not just franchises in particular. It adds on to the importance she already has. I don't know why we are using a game that doesn't even feature Dixie Kong as an example though.

There's no reason to count Mario Kart because it doesn't have Dixie Kong. Not because it has a crazy roster.
How do they have a different style than Mario Kart? What's your source for this? Spin-offs are spin-offs, so unless I'm given more objective reasoning than that, I'm inclined not to agree.

And if we really must count games with Dixie Kong, how about Mario Superstar Baseball? Noki, Pianta, Paragoomba, and Monty Mole are all real important, right?
Super Mario Sluggers? We couldn't live with Tiny Kong or baby everyone.
Mario Hoops 3-on-3? Final Fantasy characters.
Diddy Kong Racing? The various nobodies that didn't appear in a single title after that game.
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast? Look at all those beloved Kremlings. Kip, Kass, Kopter, Kludge...

If this becomes about who appears the most frequently, then why are we even considering Dixie for that? Waluigi appears in more of the same games than she does. That's what we're using, right? Most recurrent characters in spin-offs? If that's Dixie's reason for being in over K. Rool, that should apply to someone who over-archingly trumps that, too.

The only fair comparison for this is within the Donkey Kong series canon. At least in those, we have a constant in the form of it having universally to do with the series in question and the roles characters play in it, not a matter of who just happened to make an appearance in a spin-off.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, I'd say 4 DK reps is unnecessary and should be save for other franchises.
BKupa666 said:
["Repping" is] more of a coping mechanism for people with some variation of OCD, don't you think? It's as though people can't stomach the idea of Mario or Zelda not getting more characters than a lesser-selling series with superior characters to offer, so they throw in filler characters from those series just to satisfy those compulsions, or alternatively, leave out the superior ones to begin with.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

This continued discussion is what I like to call "Going absolutely nowhere". Please get off the topic at the nearest stop and do not even think about stepping on the train again, for it's not if you win or lose the debate, it's the fact that you can't beat the ignorance of defeat that will continue to drive you on and on until you eventually pull the topic apart :p

So please, for everyone's sake...shut up about the monkey and the crocodile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom