• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
More sense than Tom Nook. That was the point, that Tom Nook is more pointless even in comparison to Ninten. (although if Ninten didn't wear a hat this would be a different discussion.)
so wait a minute, according to you the first protagonist from mother, (a game that not many people even recognize) is more important than the shop keeper that helps you build house, gets you started, lets you purchase all the supplies and furniture you need/want, bills you (that sneaky tanoki), and has been in all four animal crossing games and is even a recognizable figure to Nintendo as a whole. really?!?
The pan is the fact that both are deconfirmed. We are the car. This is the result:

if that happens I'll be in Antarctica where you guys will never be able to get me

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That's probably the last problem you should consider when thinking of Ninten. I was thinking more along the lines that MOTHER 2 being so similar to MOTHER 1 is what makes his representation pointless. Him being obscure doesn't really matter in the case of completing the trio and adding the first protagonist of MOTHER. He's probably not that obscure in Japan, especially after the GBA port.

But. like I said. He has problems a little bigger than obscurity... :lol:
Though, IF we get a Mother newcomer, it's probably gonna be Porky. Notice the "if" in there.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
so wait a minute, according to you the first protagonist from mother, (a game that not many people even recognize) is more important than the shop keeper that helps you build house, gets you started, lets you purchase all the supplies and furniture you need/want, bills you (that sneaky tanoki), and has been in all four animal crossing games and is even a recognizable figure to Nintendo as a whole. really?!?
Then by your logic Lucas and Ice Climber are less important to Smash Brothers than Tom Nook. Also anybody in Japan should easily recognize Ninten due to the GBA port.

This isn't exactly the alternate conversation I was hoping for to be honest.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, King K. Rool is one of the last people who should be considered a shoo-in when Dixie Kong basically rivals all his merits.
Please...

...just stop.

K. Rool is much more of a Sakurai friendly character, he's got way more potential as a playable character, he's way more unique from the rest of the roster than Dixie, and on top of that, he's been a staple of said franchise longer and in more games.

Just because Dixie appeared in 1 of the 2 DK games that matter that he isn't in doesn't mean much more than a hill of ants.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'd rather have a lot of characters instead of Pale Tuna, because quite frankly, her potential just doesn't spark my imagination, and from what I gather, most people only want her because they like Kid Icarus: Uprising, they want another Kid Icarus character, they like her character instead of/without thinking about her potential as a smash bros playable character, or because they feel Smash needs more side boob.
Well, I will not lie. I loved KI:U, I like her character in the game, but we already have enough side boob in this game, already. WFT, anyone?

No, what attracted me to her was of course her in Uprising, and her surge in popularity after the game, but I still think she is deserving enough, an important character to Nintendo, and to me does have potential. But it could all be thrown out the window so what do I know? No one can truly know anything at this point, with the exception of the small announcements Sakurai makes.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, I will not lie. I loved KI:U, I like her character in the game, but we already have enough side boob in this game, already. WFT, anyone?

No, what attracted me to her was of course her in Uprising, and her surge in popularity after the game, but I still think she is deserving enough, an important character to Nintendo, and to me does have potential. But it could all be thrown out the window so what do I know? No one can truly know anything at this point, with the exception of the small announcements Sakurai makes.
The fact that Sakurai will never make a KI game in too many years makes this Palutena's last chance.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Though, IF we get a Mother newcomer, it's probably gonna be Porky. Notice the "if" in there.
More preferable choice, but I think Ninten would be the only justification in even having 3 MOTHER reps.

Please...

...just stop.

K. Rool is much more of a Sakurai friendly character, he's got way more potential as a playable character, he's way more unique from the rest of the roster than Dixie, and on top of that, he's been a staple of said franchise longer.
Having a better move set won't necesarily make you more important or deserving. Also Dixie has been in the franchise just as much if not 1 or 2 games more than King K. Rool has.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Then by your logic Lucas and Ice Climber are less important to Smash Brothers than Tom Nook. Also anybody in Japan should easily recognize Ninten due to the GBA port.

This isn't exactly the alternate conversation I was hoping for to be honest.
ice climbers yes (in a Nintendo expectation, not smash), Lucas no, mother 3 was an emotional and memorial game, he is diffidently one of Nintendo's better IPs
also if this isn't the conversation you were hoping for, then why were you the one to constantly argue about him again :smirk:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Pale Tuna could be great, but I'd rather have Swordfish, thank you very much.
I would prefer Halibut anyways. It's got so much more potential. You can roast it, deep fry it, or put cheese on it and it still tastes amazing.

Plus it tastes better plain anyways.
Does this place look like some kind of sea food restaurant? :lol:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The fact that Sakurai will never make a KI game in too many years makes this Palutena's last chance.
I wouldn't find that too big an issue. Sure, there are characters who missed the boat. Generation 3 and maybe Gen 5 now missed it, and I believe Micaiah from Radiant Dawn was popular to an extent. However, they have nothing on Palutena, she's important enough to be in the game, and even if Sakurai said he won't make a new game, you never know. I don't think him adding the Villager will be a sign that Sakurai will go against everything he has ever said before, but again, if he thinks about it, he could reconsider, or a new director will make it.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
More preferable choice, but I think Ninten would be the only justification in even having 3 MOTHER reps.
Having a better move set won't necesarily make you more important or deserving. Also Dixie has been in the franchise just as much if not 1 or 2 games more than King K. Rool has.
Even though secondary protagonists tend to have a priority over main villains (:luigi64::falcomelee::diddy:), I think it'd be weird for a non-Fire Emblem franchise to get THREE hero characters and no villainous ones, specially given how well recognized the villains in question are.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Just because Dixie appeared in 1 of the 2 DK games that matter that he isn't in doesn't mean much more than a hill of ants.
It's more justifiable than "muh moves" :awesome:

Lucas no, he is diffidently one of Nintendo's better IPs
also if this isn't the conversation you were hoping for, then why were you the one to constantly argue about him again :smirk:
This is opinion completely. I personally thought Ninten was cooler. Anyway, I wasn't hoping for an actual discussion about Ninten. I simply made a statement that it's not as pointless as 2 Animal Crossing characters in terms of what their purpose is and there moves. But, since you guys seem to want to talk about it anyway....:smirk:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Yeah, King K. Rool is one of the last people who should be considered a shoo-in when Dixie Kong basically rivals all his merits.
Ummm, how? Dixie has recent appearances, and I think that's all she has over him.

Overall importance: K. Rool wins by a long shot

Moveset Potential: K. Rool, but Dixie shouldn't be difficult to make unique.

Demand: K. Rool, but Dixie is still high up there. I think she beats him in Japan.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also now apparently gameplay doesn't matter at all? Then why the hell do we even play Super Smash Bros., to look at the opening sequence?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Nope. Not true. Kid Icarus will always be remembered as a great Nintendo franchise and Palutena is just as deserving now as she will be in the future. Plus Sakurai probably will make another by the time Smash 5 is out.

Ummm, how? Dixie has recent appearances, and I think that's all she has over him.
*snickers*

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
That'd explain why people think Brawl is the weakest entry in the series.
(among many, many other reasons)
Sorry to get off-topic, but imagine the trailer for the game. Something like Melee's opening, something big. I will take a wild guess we will see the full-on trailer that they will make the opening by next year.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also now apparently gameplay doesn't matter at all? Then why the hell do we even play Super Smash Bros., to look at the opening sequence?
Apparently so, because people would rather have pretty good characters instead of absolutely drop dead amazing characters playable (in terms of gameplay potential).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
K. Rool has been the main villain of almost every Donkey Kong game up until Retro showed up. His overall importance to the series is much greater than that of Dixie, and his potential is far higher than Dixie's. Really, Dixie's recent appearance in Tropical Freeze is all she has over K. Rool, who last appeared in Mario Super Sluggers in 2008.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Sorry to get off-topic, but imagine the trailer for the game. Something like Melee's opening, something big. I will take a wild guess we will see the full-on trailer that they will make the opening by next year.
I once imagined the intro would involve the original 12 running along on a stormy night on their Smash 64 models, then transition into Melee's graphics with all newcomers from that game appear along them as well, followed by Brawl's and finally SSB4's.

If that actually happens, I'll have the largest, most ecstatic smile for weeks. Even if the game is ****.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even though secondary protagonists tend to have a priority over main villains (:luigi64::falcomelee::diddy:), I think it'd be weird for a non-Fire Emblem franchise to get THREE hero characters and no villainous ones, specially given how well recognized the villains in question are.
WAIT.
It's time for LOUIE G'S STUPID THEORIES.
Okay, so...
Luigi was a newcomer in 64. He got the villain of his franchise in Melee.
Falco was in Melee. He got Wolf in Brawl.
Since Diddy was in Brawl, that means K. ROOL WILL BE IN SSB4.
I know your mind is blown, don't try and deny it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think we'll likely get the opening revealed some time in November of next year to January of next year, unless of course hidden characters are always in the opening again.

Also, I miss the Smash 64 ending of the intro where they showed the hidden characters at the end. :( They should do that in every smash game, except with epic highlights of them as well! :shades:

Seriously though, I still watch Melee's intro every time. Seeing that bomb-omb go off after we saw glimpses of some epic Nintendo history is way more epic than freaking watching a thousand shots of Meta Knight's ship after a bunch of random shots of various characters.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
WAIT.
Okay, so...

still though that theory makes more sense than some of the theory I heard around here

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
WAIT.
Okay, so...
So, if we get Pale Tuna in SSB4, we'll get Medusa in SSB5!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
WAIT.
Okay, so...
My God, it's uncanny!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think we'll likely get the opening revealed some time in November of next year to January of next year, unless of course hidden characters are always in the opening again.

Also, I miss the Smash 64 ending of the intro where they showed the hidden characters at the end. :( They should do that in every smash game, except with epic highlights of them as well! :shades:

Seriously though, I still watch Melee's intro every time. Seeing that bomb-omb go off after we saw glimpses of some epic Nintendo history is way more epic than freaking watching a thousand shots of Meta Knight's ship after a bunch of random shots of various characters.
I'm guessing there will be a Sm4sh Direct.
They will announce the second set of newcomers if that leak is true.
And those newcomers will be shown in a new, epic trailer.
Along with a couple vets, and probably the rest of the original 12 if they aren't announce by then.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I asked a legitimate question and explained why I asked it. Instead of blowing me off, please answer properly. It would be much appreciated.
Dixie has in fact appeared more than K. Rool and also represented the mainstream Donkey Kong series outside it's own series in games such as Mario Sports, Diddy Kong Racing, and almost Brawl (yes I know she was supposedly a duo mechanic, but you can still play as her like you can play as Nana).

Most wouldn't consider being playable in a game series more to be a plus, but in the case that it rivals a character's importance I would count this. Not to mention Dixie Kong starred in her very own game. She seems to be very popular in Japan as well and Kongs just seem like the more preffered characters in the Donkey Kong Country series. Granted King K. Rool not being a Kong would bring diversity, but still. Even if K. Rool is the villian, she's just as iconic to the series if not slightly more.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
sorry for double quoting but . . . .
WAIT.
Okay, so...
according to that logic, we got zero suit samus in brawl that means . . . . . .
RIDLEY CONFIRMED FOR SMASH 4

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparently so, because people would rather have pretty good characters instead of absolutely drop dead amazing characters playable (in terms of gameplay potential).
Because gameplay doesn't matter it's all about sales and relevancy anything relating to wanting to play as something amazing is terribad.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I'm guessing there will be a Sm4sh Direct.
They will announce the second set of newcomers if that leak is true.
And those newcomers will be shown in a new, epic trailer.
Along with a couple vets, and probably the rest of the original 12 if they aren't announce by then.
Oh yeah, closer to release we'll definitely be seeing a Smash-dedicated direct. I'd expect loads of gameplay and some new shizz when we get one.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because gameplay doesn't matter it's all about sales and relevancy anything relating to wanting to play as something amazing is terribad.
I hate people who think Dixie shoots down King K. Rool entirely because of Tropical ****ing Freeze.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
WAIT.
Okay, so...
What about Lucas, he was added in Brawl, so Giygas for ssb4!

PS. Is it bad that I JUST realized your name is a pun on Luigi?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To add to this argument...
The main reason most people (not specifically SaturnGamer) have Dixie on their roster instead of K. Rool is because of Tropical Freeze.
You can't deny it, everyone's a sucker for recency.
What about Lucas, he was added in Brawl, so Giygas for ssb4!

PS. Is it bad that I JUST realized your name is a pun on Luigi?
I honestly wouldn't mind that at all.
And no, I'm almost positive there's still someone out there who hasn't figured it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom