• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You mean Super Ultra Mega Hyper Takamaru's Crazy Giant Cheese Wheel Castle Adventure Super Weenie Hut Jr. Turbo Championship Edition HD Collection Battle Royale Bros. & Knuckles
Still sounds more interesting than the Super Smash Bros.: The Subspace Maze Edition.
The "bad" choices are seriously underlooked.
None of them will be playable. Accept it.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
well look on the bright side, even though some like, blue pikmin's rosters are . . . . . interesting. It helps make this thread not so predictable and/or boring.
if everybody had the same roster all the time most of would probably be sitting at our computers looking like this
I'm pretty sure we all already look like that.

Everybody is Toon Link drinking coffee. No exceptions.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Because some people think that apparently including stuff people wouldn't know about is a sin against humanity and if it ever does happen World War III would happen. Which is funny because we should be at World War XXIX by now.
If this game's roster was decided by 'Which Characters Mr. Guy Smiley on the Street Could Name,' you could count the number of newcomers on one hand, and the number of cuts would be astronomical.

It's also more than just that, though, since few of those people add in -every last one- of Toad/Waluigi/Bowser Jr./Mii/Pacman, they just penalize guys like Mewtwo or Lucario, or K. Rool or Dixie out of some desire to suppress the number of characters that fall under certain icons, or to artificially inflate the number of characters under others.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
They are bad because they are bad, they have almost no chance of being in. dr. train your brain? seriously?
i'm out hopefully when i return things get better yeah right.
People still think a floating head is a bad concept for a character, when it's something we have never seen before in a Smash Bros. game.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's called "logical deductions".

Sakurai doesn't add random mildly important characters to a franchise like Anna, he adds main/major characters like Marth, Ness, and Wolf.
Logical "deductions" are not objective fact. They are still subjective. BluePikmin is right, they do have a chance. Until Sakurai gives as an absolute confirmation that one of those characters will not be in the game, it would be fallacious to say otherwise. It would be more proper to say that they do not have a significant likelihood of being in the game. If you want to claim something, you need evidence to support that claim as the asserting party.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
People still think a floating head is a bad concept for a character, when it's something we have never seen before in a Smash Bros. game.
I've never seen a Call of Duty character in Smash.
Nor do I want to.
Just because it's something we haven't seen doesn't make it a good concept.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anna isn't happening, Dr. Kawashima has like no tangible moveset that seems unique (if you want a floating head character with a moveset, choose Andross), and Tom Nook at least is possible.

I still don't know what/who that is below Wario.

Anyways, I am done with this topic.

Let's talk about panda Pokémon instead, and why they should be playable.

Oh, and just because we've never seen a floating head character is Smash doesn't mean it's a good idea. I mean, just because I never had gonorrhea doesn't mean I should get it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hypothetical situation: Sakurai has just finished development of the 3 popular characters, K. Rool, Ridley and Palutena. Then he thinks, "why not add Tom Nook while were at it. We did all the popular choices, so why not we give AC another popularly requested rep while we have the chance?"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hypothetical situation: Sakurai has just finished development of the 3 popular characters, K. Rool, Ridley and Palutena. Then he thinks, "why not add Tom Nook while were at it. We did all the popular choices, so why not we give AC another popularly requested rep while we have the chance?"
Sakurai doesn't add reps, he add characters.

We don't play as reps, we play as characters.

Stop using the "r" word. It kills all your points.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
But the choices are at the very least possible, Dr. Kawashima, Tom Nook, and Anna have the potential to be likeable newcomers to play as.
yep, all those character have a chance at the very least, not likely yes, impossible, no (in fact I'm rooting for tom nook myself)
Everybody is Toon Link drinking coffee. No exceptions.
done :laugh:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't really think Tom Nook is highly requested. He should focus on Little Mac next, not waste his time on a Villager clone.
Technically, a Call of Duty soldier would have similar moveset to Snake. Sakurai says no to guns, so it's only explosives for the CoD guy.
Whatever, you know what I mean. Just because a concept was never used doesn't make it good.

Morbi

Scavenger
It could happen, I would say that introducing a huge franchise like Animal Crossing to Smash (in the form of playable characters) might warrant two. It isn't like Tom Nook isn't popular. Not to mention the notion that many people accept that K. Rool, Ridley and Palutena are great choices that are likely; however, that doesn't mean Sakurai feels the same way.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I always respect your out of the box roster predictions, however there is no way that he'd think that Tom Nook was the next logical progression after the other three.

"Big, goofy villain... Vicious space dinosaur... Hottie Goddess chick.... Oh Duh! Why not the Raccoon in the sweater! It writes itself!"

No, I just don't see it happening. Not to say he'll never be considered, just not in the same thought bubble as the other three.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If this game's roster was decided by 'Which Characters Mr. Guy Smiley on the Street Could Name,' you could count the number of newcomers on one hand, and the number of cuts would be astronomical.
I think the only characters that would survive this ordeal would only be the Pokemon and Mario characters. Ironically, focusing solely on this series is something that is trying to be avoided as much as possible.

It's also more than just that, though, since few of those people add in -every last one- of Toad/Waluigi/Bowser Jr./Mii/Pacman, they just penalize guys like Mewtwo or Lucario, or K. Rool or Dixie out of some desire to suppress the number of characters that fall under certain icons, or to artificially inflate the number of characters under others.
People adding in weaker choices simply because they are known does not exactly create an ideal prospective on things. Case in point, the amount of people that would actually like Toad in Super Smash Bros. would be deceptive, sure he's a well known character but is he REALLY going to be the thing that catches someones eye from the prospective of gameplay and diversity? Even someone that is obscure like Takamaru could in theory create more interest despite not being known, because there is factors that can exploited to drive a point home that "Hey, this is your new favorite, pick him/her NOW!"

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Technically, a Call of Duty soldier would have similar moveset to Snake. Sakurai says no to guns, so it's only explosives for the CoD guy.
Tom Nook can be different, besides it would look weird if Tom Nook was growing a tree or using a slingshot. He would use furniture and raccoon-Mario powers IMO.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai doesn't add reps, he add characters.

We don't play as reps, we play as characters.

Stop using the "r" word. It kills all your points.
I have already elaborated on this point a couple of times, they are used interchangeably on the forums.
1. Sakurai distinguishes franchises that don't need to be distinguished (unnecessarily) such as Yoshi and Wario. Yet he doesn't distinguish others like Dr. Mario.
2. The roster in Smash is usually determined based on the franchise, in the case of Brawl, the representatives are vertical. This keeps the franchises clear and concise while dividing them.
3. They inherently represent the franchise because the game mechanic that illustrates the players health is dependent on which character is being used and what franchise they represent.

When people say representative, they are actually alluding to the abstract premise that the character is actually a part of the franchise. They are not explicitly stating that they represent the franchise and nothing more. It is just a portion of what "character" means. If anything they are just being more specific. In a colloquial environment, this is understandable and preferred (as it is shorter to type and easier to understand).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not to mention the notion that many people accept that K. Rool, Ridley and Palutena are great choices that are likely; however, that doesn't mean Sakurai feels the same way.
That's the unspoken caveat of all of our speculation. Barring Sakurai specifically addressing a character, we have no idea how he feels about anyone, only that he tries to obscure his predictable behavior with unpredictable actions. Because of this, placing all characters on even footing as far as Sakurai goes is the way to go. Sure, a character might have all the criteria in the world seemingly in his favor, only for Sakurai for *laugh* in their face, but because we have no way to predict that, it's a bit futile to even bother.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Tom Nook can't be in SM4SH. Rocket Raccoon was in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

And we must not forget, one of the lost 15 commandments, "Thou shalt not put Raccoon based characters in more than one fighting game within the same decade."

This is the word of the Lord.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So wait, have we really gone to the point of pushing a ****ing Call of Duty character?

No, what I said was that just because we haven't seen something yet doesn't make it a good concept.
I related it to the stupidity of adding a COD character, saying that even though I've never seen it in Smash, I sure wouldn't want it.

Edit: You can ask any friend of mine: I despise Call of Duty more than almost anyone else out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom