• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
While I do agree with this notion (I am misanthropic myself), I don't like the implications of that statement. It is antithetical.
Lol habanero and golden are just joking (even tho they are annoyed), because if they weren't, they'd be insulting themselves since they are humans as well.

There may be different opinions and stuff that may get you both annoyed. but no human is above anyone else i don't understand what the insults are for.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, Sakurai can for sure break a pattern whenever he wants to depending on the situation on deciding newcomers.
The only pattern there is is that Sakurai breaks patterns if and only if he realizes that speculators are noticing patterns that he created.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think it's safe to say we either get 1 retro character and 1 hardware character or just 1 retro character. There's not much to choose from for Hardware characters except Diskun.

*cough* *cough* N64 *cough* *cough*

And If Mario Brother get in somehow, and look like they do in dream team (slightly different from regular designs) there would be a HUGE rage here.
But them people said it was part of some big elaborate pattern that involves Metroid and Ice Climbers somehow.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That is the beauty of patterns, you can choose whether or not they are valid. You might dismiss the retro pattern just as easily as most competent people would dismiss the Pokemon pattern. That is irrelevant. The only reason I responded to you was because you implied (more like directly stated) that there was NO pattern. This is fallacious. There IS a pattern. IT doesn't have to mean anything.
Actually there is no pattern.

A pattern needs at least three things before it can be called a pattern.

We have two coincidences that might become a pattern but we don't have a pattern yet.

Aside from Starfox getting a new character each game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I could see many other franchises having their turn to have at least one playable character.
You do realize there are other ways to represent these "oh so popular" franchises. Stages, Assist Trophies, Items. Brain Age & Nintendog makes 100% more sense as a stage and is the absolute perfect way to represent them. Having them playable would be forced beyond belief.

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually there is no pattern.

A pattern needs at least three things before it can be called a pattern.

We have two coincidences that might become a pattern but we don't have a pattern yet.

Aside from Starfox getting a new character each game.
Actually a pattern can be two... look it up?

What's a femtwo?
The new Mewtwo is a female, or at least a female voice actor was cast.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
When it comes to character, feature, stage, etc. selection, I doubt he has a set pattern he mulls over and makes sure he follows it consistently. I think he likes the idea of adding more retro/classic characters, but I would not call that a set pattern that Sakurai follows. Nothing is, in my opinion.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The new Mewtwo from the 16th movie, who is a different Mewtwo from the more malice one from the past and is treated more like a hero instead of a anti-hero/villain.
Oh, I hate the new anime anyway.
I would have watched if it was the awesome, classic mewtwo
If it's in smash, it better have that deep, psychic voice!

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Wouldn't mind Genesect, he's replaced Lucario in some of my rosters, but now I see Lucario as the more likely and more important character.

Genesect would definitely be a better Gen 5 rep than Victini, Zoroark, or Gen 5 Trainer.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, I hate the new anime anyway.
I would have watched if it was the awesome, classic mewtwo
If it's in smash, it better have that deep, psychic voice!
I love when he makes the zombie noise.

Wouldn't mind Genesect, he's replaced Lucario in some of my rosters, but now I see Lucario as the more likely and more important character.

Genesect would definitely be a better Gen 5 rep than Victini, Zoroark, or Gen 5 Trainer.
It would happen if we had 6 Pokemon characters........DLC!!!!!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If I could describe my feelings for Gen 5 in one world, it would be Meh.
I literally did not beat White 2 and I'm not planning to because it is too boring.
It is exactly the same as white.
ERMERGERD TEAM PLASMERS BAK!!!! I DERDINT SEE DAT COMBING!!!

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Sora is located in Japan, where Tingle is a beloved character.
I you had a company located here, would you care if a popular character was hated in Japan?
Now of course, don't get me mistaken here - I would more than desire Tingle's presence as a playable character, as I actually like the character. However, if popularity is one of the factors to be considered (and it is), then Tingle's polarizing divide (between those who favor him and does who specifically do not) needs to be carefully considered, especially since the character has always been controversial even in his own series. Would Sakurai really risk alienating the geographic fan-base of one country in favor for his own, or even risk alienating a sizable portion of Zelda fans who would complain about Tingle replacing one of their favored characters (whether or not that would even be true)? I'm not exactly sure that has happened before with any character's inclusion.

That said, perhaps I'm overstating Tingle's so-called unpopularity in the United States, and am simply factually wrong in this regard. Please, then, correct me if I'm wrong.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
:facepalm: I hope that isn't directed towards me for pointing out that there WAS a pattern.

Off Topic: Didn't realize you were from Parker. I am in Denver.
No, its pointed out at everyone that isn't him. That's how he is lol don't take it too seriously he's always doin that kind of stuff.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I suppose it can't be helped. You certainly meet a lot of different individuals on the forums. Haha.
Yeah i've been lurking since 03 so I know how some people on here operate, but yeah you just gotta roll with it. (even tho I can't stand egoistical people)
but habanero is cool tho.
Edit: I think I misinterpreted that post....whatever lol.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You do realize there are other ways to represent these "oh so popular" franchises. Stages, Assist Trophies, Items. Brain Age & Nintendog makes 100% more sense as a stage and is the absolute perfect way to represent them. Having them playable would be forced beyond belief.
You still don't sde the potential of a floating head. :p

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I suppose it can't be helped. You certainly meet a lot of different individuals on the forums. Haha.
I've been here for not even 2 months, and so far I've had an "interesting" experience, if you can say that.

You still don't sde the potential of a floating head. :p
You mean Andross? Wham Bam Rock? Bongo-Bongo? The Temple if God's boss in Wind Waker? That Sand Pyramid boss in Mario 64? Whoever it is, his weakness must be his hand, and once his hands are gone, it's his eye.
And I think a Classroom Stage for 3ds would be cool! With Kawashima as a hazard!

D

Deleted member

That is the beauty of patterns, you can choose whether or not they are valid. You might dismiss the retro pattern just as easily as most competent people would dismiss the Pokemon pattern. That is irrelevant. The only reason I responded to you was because you implied (more like directly stated) that there was NO pattern. This is fallacious. There IS a pattern. IT doesn't have to mean anything.
You can find irrelevant patterns in everything if you try hard enough. Look! In all three Smash games, Sakurai has added at least one guy with a swollen nose and a mustache! By that pattern, we're getting Waluigi in Smash 4!

If your argument is that there is some degree of a pattern, then fine, yes, for two games, Sakurai has added a character that debuted on the Famicom that has been irrelevant in the new millennium.
That is not, however, logic to dictate we're getting a "retro" character for the sake of getting a retro character to follow a pattern. This is where the "no pattern" statement comes in. That, and the fact the pattern is fan-made. Because again, Sakurai only picked the Ice Climbers for the sake of being "retro".

Morbi

Scavenger
You can find irrelevant patterns in everything if you try hard enough. Look! In all three Smash games, Sakurai has added at least one guy with a swollen nose and a mustache! By that pattern, we're getting Waluigi in Smash 4!

If your argument is that there is some degree of a pattern, then fine, yes, for two games, Sakurai has added a character that debuted on the Famicom that has been irrelevant in the new millennium.
That is not, however, logic to dictate we're getting a "retro" character for the sake of getting a retro character to follow a pattern. This is where the "no pattern" statement comes in. That, and the fact the pattern is fan-made. Because again, Sakurai only picked the Ice Climbers for the sake of being "retro".
This is all based on empirical data, there is nothing absolute about it. That is the subjective nature of speculation. I have already told you, the only reason I responded was because you made the objective statement about the pattern (or as you would put it, lack of a pattern). That is all, I do believe that the retro pattern has slightly more validity than the straw man fallacy you are throwing my way.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Now that you think about it, a lot of arguments are kind of fan made. I mean in the case of being relevant it's only been mentioned once for the Pokemon franchise, sales have never been stated to be a factor for influence, in a similar vein neither is reception, stating requests don't matter when it clearly does, catering to only things that the general audience will understand despite being defied a lot of times, so on.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Hey! I just found a pattern! If you look closely, every couple of pages, YOU BE A COMPLETE JERK AND STEP ON EVERY IDEA THAT IS NOT COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!!
THIS ISNT EVEN ON TOPIC TODAY!!!

EVERYONE WHO WANTS THIS GUY TO STOP TALKING SAY AYE!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You mean Andross? Wham Bam Rock? Bongo-Bongo? The Temple if God's boss in Wind Waker? That Sand Pyramid boss in Mario 64? Whoever it is, his weakness must be his hand, and once his hands are gone, it's his eye.
And I think a Classroom Stage for 3ds would be cool! With Kawashima as a hazard!
The main character of the popular Brain Age is only Dr. Kawashima. Those other guys you mentioned are pretty irrelavent in their respective franchises.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If I could describe my feelings for Gen 5 in one world, it would be Meh.
I literally did not beat White 2 and I'm not planning to because it is too boring.
It is exactly the same as white.
ERMERGERD TEAM PLASMERS BAK!!!! I DERDINT SEE DAT COMBING!!!
It... wasn't. In Black/White Team Plasma was PETA in Pokémon form, B2W2 they were just plain terrorists.

And honestly, why wouldn't they be back? It's like in Gold/Silver where Team Rocket is in the region next door, so why not bring them back and expand on them?

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Now of course, don't get me mistaken here - I would more than desire Tingle's presence as a playable character, as I actually like the character. However, if popularity is one of the factors to be considered (and it is), then Tingle's polarizing divide (between those who favor him and does who specifically do not) needs to be carefully considered, especially since the character has always been controversial even in his own series. Would Sakurai really risk alienating the geographic fan-base of one country in favor for his own, or even risk alienating a sizable portion of Zelda fans who would complain about Tingle replacing one of their favored characters (whether or not that would even be true)? I'm not exactly sure that has happened before with any character's inclusion.

That said, perhaps I'm overstating Tingle's so-called unpopularity in the United States, and am simply factually wrong in this regard. Please, then, correct me if I'm wrong.
Even Retro studios knows that Tingle is disliked in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom