• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
GUYS!!!!

November 21st in Melee's 12th Anniversary in Japan, and December 3rd is said anniversary date in North America.

For related tie-ins, Sakurai should confirm wavedashing as a playable character then!!! :awesome:

And then on either January 31st or March 9th (Japan's and North America's respectively 6th Anniversary of Brawl's release date), random tripping can be confirmed as a playable character. :awesome:

Not funny :/

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Even if they weren't clones, I wouldn't have exactly said that Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were exactly "beloved" in the same sense people think of the rest of the Melee roster. It's a valid philosophy, but outside of Young Link, Ganondorf, and Falco, I don't feel like Melee really showcases it that well.

The ironic thing about it is that despite being the more patient person, you'd get a copy of the game right then and now. Zero patience whatsoever and vast patience seem to overlap with a hypothetical like that, funnily enough.

Are you sure you want to be hyped for SSB4 then? M.U.G.E.N. sounds a lot more like your game if that's really the case.
Of course I will be impatient to get the game, I want to play with Mega Man and Villager but If I know that every two months we will get a character, I would not mind the wait for the full roster.
.n_n.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He did say that he could have made King Dedede in the time it took to make all of those clones.
He also stated it would probably take more work, and that he didn't feel like adding his character.

Also, who is to say King Dedede wouldn't be a semi-clone or clone=??? I mean, he is very similar to Kirby, and it could have been easily done.

But judging by the end results, Sakurai clearly made the right change. Falco and Ganondorf in particular were excellent additions to the roster.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's a hypothetical/patience survey.

Sakurai and his team release Smash Bros. with only the currently revealed characters, but they are all absolutely refined and perfected in every sense, completely balanced with one another. The game is a competitive dream, in other words. Now, the plan is that over the course of time, Sakurai implements patches that will add a character every 2 months, long after they are heavily tested and balanced so they can fit into the roster without any problems. So over time, we will have all of Brawl's roster back and more. The issue becomes a matter of how SSB4 won't truly start to feel as big as Brawl did for approximately two more years.

Would you play a base version of the game now to get an absolutely flawless version in the game in the distant future, or would you rather take the game with its quirks and flaws sooner?

I would personally take the incomplete version. It gives me something to play now and more to look forward to all year each year in the future.
I would take the incomplete version as well, for being able to enjoy what we've seen so far in Smash in a near perfect state. And I'm used to waiting for MMORPGs to recieve a new update, I'm sure I could handle it just as well for Smash 4, it gives me more things to look forward to.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mewtwo's new Down B should flip a portion of the ground beneath the nearest enemy. Being hit by it, can pop the opponent upwards with some lag.

So if Fox is using his reflector, Mewtwo could flip the ground underneath Fox which would pop him up, stunned which would make his reflector shut off, and then toss his Shadowball for a KO.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Fun Fact: The guy who voices Sonic also voices Batman in Arkham Origins, Ezio in Assassin's Creed, Siegfried in Soul Calibur, Eddy Goro in Tekken, and Chris Redfield in Resident Evil.

So that means his voice thus confirms not only Sonic, but those characters... :grin: :laugh: :troll:
Lets not forget Paper Mario TTYD, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart Double Dash.
.n_n.
I agree with all of those games... except Mario Kart: Double Dash!! That game is overrated IMO. It's too wonky and too random IMO. If the items weren't as match changing, I'd like that game more. The same goes with Mario Kart Wii.
Are you sure you want to be hyped for SSB4 then? M.U.G.E.N. sounds a lot more like your game if that's really the case.
M.U.G.E.N. isn't that good because its' physics are kinda crappy, whereas Smash has amazing physics and gameplay.

Also, like I said, we can Project M-ify it. Thus, it isn't M.U.G.E.N... at all. :p

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'd say that N64 is that one character I support, everyone has one,
Who's yours?
Zero from Mega Man X. :p

Mewtwo's new Down B should flip a portion of the ground beneath the nearest enemy. Being hit by it, can pop the opponent upwards with some lag.

So if Fox is using his reflector, Mewtwo could flip the ground underneath Fox which would pop him up, stunned which would make his reflector shut off, and then toss his Shadowball for a KO.
Or he could, you know, use his current side B, Confusion, to do that.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Fun Fact: The guy who voices Sonic also voices Batman in Arkham Origins, Ezio in Assassin's Creed, Siegfried in Soul Calibur, Eddy Goro in Tekken, and Chris Redfield in Resident Evil.

So that means his voice thus confirms not only Sonic, but those characters... :grin: :laugh: :troll:

I agree with all of those games... except Mario Kart: Double Dash!! That game is overrated IMO. It's too wonky and too random IMO. If the items weren't as match changing, I'd like that game more. The same goes with Mario Kart Wii.

M.U.G.E.N. isn't that good because its' physics are kinda crappy, whereas Smash has amazing physics and gameplay.

Also, like I said, we can Project M-ify it. Thus, it isn't M.U.G.E.N... at all. :p
I like MK DD because of the double characters gimmick, I consider it very fun and refreshing for the series.
.n_n.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like MK DD because of the double characters gimmick, I consider it very fun and refreshing for the series.
.n_n.
I do agree it is an interesting approach, but IMO, it should just be a game mode option instead of a full game dealio.

Also, like I said, Crono would be the best obscure-ish 3rd party character ever. His moveset potential is off the charts, and his game is one of the all-time greats, but sadly, it likely will never happen... :cry:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Roy were pretty mediocre choices. Well, in the case of Roy it was more so the gameplay then the character.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think Mewtwo's D-special is fine. I think it COULD have some new specials, or it's original ones improved, but I'm not certain which ones I would change.

It's aerials definitely need to be revamped though.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So, anybody excited for Lego Marvel Super Heroes tomorrow?

..no?

OK, let's talk newcomers. If we go the Brawl route and they're all completely original, how many will we get and who will they be? (INCLUDING Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer. Melee veterans are veterans, not newcomers.)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's one issue I have with the aerials. It's tail attacks are rather weak, and it's F-aerial, while not a tail attack has a very, very short range.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Mewtwo just looks ridiculous hitting with its tail...
I'm the most powerful Pokemon with incredible psychic powers...Tail attack!!!
I dunno, it just seems logical for a creature with a long, versatile tail to use it as a weapon.

That's one issue I have with the aerials. It's tail attacks are rather weak, and it's F-aerial, while not a tail attack has a very, very short range.
That Nair is fantastic, though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mewtwo just looks ridiculous hitting with its tail...
I'm the most powerful Pokemon with incredible psychic powers...Tail attack!!!
Well considering the tail provides good range with several of his attacks, I'm not complaining.

His tail is kind of like Marth's Falchion actually.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mewtwo was ripped apart to form Lucas and Lucario (notice that they both start with Luca).

*Lucas got his Down Smash and neutral A and Lucario got Shadowball.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I do agree it is an interesting approach, but IMO, it should just be a game mode option instead of a full game dealio.

Also, like I said, Crono would be the best obscure-ish 3rd party character ever. His moveset potential is off the charts, and his game is one of the all-time greats, but sadly, it likely will never happen... :cry:
Well we can start a petition for Smash 5. :awesome:
.n_n.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, I don't have a problem with it's N-air. The fact that it hits multiple times makes up for it's poor range. I also like how it slows Mewtwo's falling speed a bit.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo's gotta put that 200+ lbs to use, and since it ain't to keep him from being sent flying, might as well put all of it in his tail to smack people with. :troll:

Both. I'm just so high on smoked Gouda cheese and sleepiness.

But if you want a more serious answer, I suppose why the Wrestler is not infamous is because you treat the proposition as a lighthearted thing. You know, basically not pushing it to the brink of death.
Good point.
Rather than push it too far, I have done the opposite and push it too little.

I suppose to find the right balance, I should simply make a thread like I planned on....if I wasn't too damn lazy.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Anyone remember that time when I hated Mewtwo and I became somewhat infamous for a while because of it?

Yeah, kinda funny that. I suppose replaying Melee and being hyped for Project M v. 3.0 would change that.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Pretty sure that if Mewtwo returns he'll be substantially heavier than he was in Melee.

Proof? All the ice cream he had to eat to ease his depression after being removed from Brawl. :troll:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Pretty sure that if Mewtwo returns he's be substantially heavier than he was in Melee.

Proof? All the ice cream he had to eat to ease his depression after being removed from Brawl. :troll:
And now he's back for revenge against all those that made it to Brawl instead. His first victim: Lucario

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And now he's back for revenge against all those that made it to Brawl instead. His first victim: Lucario
Actually Lucario and Mewtwo are all BBF, it's just that Mewtwo couldn't join the game because he went into the wrong cab and basically spent so much time driving around the city in vein.

Marth on the other hand is a smug asshole. Don't put them together, I'm warning you.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyone remember that time when I hated Mewtwo and I became somewhat infamous for a while because of it?

Yeah, kinda funny that. I suppose replaying Melee and being hyped for Project M v. 3.0 would change that.
That's what poor execution of nearly limitless potential can do.

I mean, if Mewtwo was amazing in Melee and got cut from Brawl, Sakurai probably would have gotten an earful from Nintendo.

It's funny how previously playable incarnations of the non "must have" characters (ie: Zelda, Mario, DK, Samus, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikachu, etc) effect how we view their potential, often to a fault. If Roy had been amazing in Melee and a bit more different than Marth, he could be five times as popular. The same is true of basically all the Melee clones, sans maybe Dr. Mario! :laugh:
I thought Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Roy were pretty mediocre choices. Well, in the case of Roy it was more so the gameplay then the character.
Roy was a decent choice, just poorly executed. Same with Pichu, although obviously not as good of a pick.

Dr. Mario was just a bad pick. Toad IMO would have been the preferred Mario super clone.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Alt costumes with different hitboxes/effects then sure I can easily live with it.

I don't think that is a good idea,it will add balance problems to the game,like I prefer Dr.Mario than Bee Mario because he is more powerful,and then you will see an army of Dr.Marios and no Bee Marios :c

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Alt costumes with different hitboxes/effects then sure I can easily live with it.
Just don't give us different characters as alternate costumes. That'd be dumb as crap. :urg:

Things like Dr. Mario as an alternate costume of Mario, Mr. L as an alternate costume of Luigi, Dry Bowser as an alternate costume for Bowser, Outset Clothing as an alternate costume for Toon Link,and Armor for Mewtwo would all be pretty awesome additions.
Well we can start a petition for Smash 5. :awesome:
.n_n.
One of these 2 forthcoming games is Smash 5, so it'd be Smash 6. :glare:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So, anybody excited for Lego Marvel Super Heroes tomorrow?

..no?

OK, let's talk newcomers. If we go the Brawl route and they're all completely original, how many will we get and who will they be? (INCLUDING Villager, Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer. Melee veterans are veterans, not newcomers.)
Let's see... Villager, Megaman, WFT, Pacman, Dixie or K. Rool, Mario character (Toad or Paper Mario), Takamaru, Ridley, Saki or Shulk, Lip, Palutena and Dillon

Twelve.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Newcomers: Villager, WFT, Takamaru, Little Mac, Mii, "Historic Character", King K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Mega Man, Pac-Man.

Just don't give us different characters as alternate costumes. That'd be dumb as crap. :urg:

Things like Dr. Mario as an alternate costume of Mario, Mr. L as an alternate costume of Luigi, Dry Bowser as an alternate costume for Bowser, Outset Clothing as an alternate costume for Toon Link,and Armor for Mewtwo would all be pretty awesome additions.

One of these 2 forthcoming games is Smash 5, so it'd be Smash 6. :glare:
Well fine... Smash 6, are you still up to it or not?
.n_n.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So we're not including veterans=???
Well let's see.
I expect 51 characters as my pinpoint number (roughly 48-52 is my estimated range).
I expect all of the Brawl playable characters plus Mewtwo will be back, thus taking 50 spots.

So that means I expect 11 newcomers.
The Villager, Mega Man, and The Wii Fit Trainer have already been confirmed.
So that means I think there are 7 unconfirmed newcomers.

I think they are (in order of likelihood) Miis, K. Rool, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Ridley, Shulk, (lots of dots) and Zoroark.

What I think those 7 unconfirmed characters (in order of how much I want them) are Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac, Shulk, Plusle and Minun, Nintendogs (for the lulzs), and Dixie Kong.
Well fine... Smash 6, are you still up to it or not?
.n_n.
Hell yeah I would want Crono playable in Smash 6, 7, or any number. He's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom