• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I AM DONE WITH PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE STUPID N64 LOGO BEING IN SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM TIRED OF ALL THESE MOTHER******* N64 LOGOS ON THIS MOTHER******* THREAD!
image.jpg

Here's a fun topic:
If Ness was added now, as a newcomer and wasn't in Smash64, Melee, or Brawl, and still had the current Earthbound cult, would he be an obscure Retro character or just a normal Retro character.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think the N64 had more GOOD original games then the NES. But that is true about the Snes.
I will take the original Legend of Zelda over Ocarina of Time any day of week. The same is true with Mario 3 over Mario 64.

But still, the N64 had some fantastic games. I just think the NES library has so many more amazing hidden gems, like Castlevania 3, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, and Mega Man 6.
Also I just realized, G&W is from the early nintedo Gaming industries, ROb is from the NES days, so logically, we should have an obscure SNES next, unless Ness counts as a SNES character, or was the SNES too recent at that time.
Ness was a recent character back when Smash 64 was released.

As for a largely forgotten important SNES-era character, why not Samurai Goroh=??? After all, Captain Falcon was originally the SNES' mascot.

However, if I could choose any SNES era made character, I'd choose Crono without a second thought (seeing as how K. Rool looks like a lock).

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I think the N64 had more GOOD original games then the NES. But that is true about the Snes.

Also I just realized, G&W is from the early nintedo Gaming industries, ROb is from the NES days, so logically, we should have an obscure SNES next, unless Ness counts as a SNES character, or was the SNES too recent at that time.
Well the SuperScope was the peripheral of that time, there is other option too, the one we cannot name, the one that Nintendo try to erase from their history and the mind of many consumers, the one that we cannot speak it's name...Virtual Boy.
.n_n.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Whether this time around, the next time around, or some far in the future smash game, yes, we should get both.
I would prefer this time, but if push comes to shove waiting next time around wouldn't hurt. I mean with the statement of bringing back old characters I do have confidence we'll get at least one of them. Would also be content with the likes of Muddy Mole, Sukapon, and Mach Rider too.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Here's a fun topic:
If Ness was added now, as a newcomer and wasn't in Smash64, Melee, or Brawl, and still had the current Earthbound cult, would he be an obscure Retro character or just a normal Retro character.
normal retro. considering how widely acclaimed Earthbound is he wouldn't be that obscure.

D

Deleted member

Because he's actually a solid choice.

Same with Magcargo.
I am confused whether or not you're being genuine because you like Magcargo....

Our lord Sakurai givethe and taketh, unfortunately my friend, he hath taken your power.
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII!

Not having played the game, is he important enough within the context of the game to merit inclusion over Karate Joe (who I've seen suggested a few times), or is he just the more awesome alternative (the Hades to Joe's Palutena, so to speak)?
Eh, I would say more of the latter, but it's hard to label Joe as more "important" TBH. I mean, sure, Karate Joe is a recurring character, but that's really all he's got. Rhythm Heaven doesn't really have a defined "important" character, though. Just a huge ensemble cast of minor characters some of which being more recurring such as Karate Joe and Samurai Steve (or "The Wandering Samurai" in some versions).

But in context of the Wrestler, I'm confident in saying he's most likely the most recognized character in the franchise despite debuting in the latest game, since the Ringside game in RH Fever is the most parodied game in both Japan and America, and Nintendo did kind of push him in marketing for some reason.
I would say he's rather memetic in that sense. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable.

In any case, IMO, a hyperactive posing wrestler seems more interesting to me than a karate MS Paint guy.

The part where you left out the fact that a challenger is approaching for Rhythm Wrestler's niche.

Come at him, senor.
Lol, I wouldn't mind Hawlucha, actually. Too bad he wasn't marketed more. Could've easily taken the role of Gen. 6 mascot.

Someone has placed a curse on you *Hocus Pocus*
It was Sakurai!
SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Ehhh.... I think Smashchu's Karate Joe already beat your Wrestler to the punch. :troll:
SAKU-
Oh wait.
SMASHCHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

All this yelling....

The Legion of Dairy Super Sand Lesbian returns!!!

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I will take the original Legend of Zelda over Ocarina of Time any day of week. The same is true with Mario 3 over Mario 64.

But still, the N64 had some fantastic games. I just think the NES library has so many more amazing hidden gems, like Castlevania 3, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, and Mega Man 6.
It's funny how we are so different in tastes I never get a Super Nintendo and was stuck with my Nes for 6 years until the come of N64, so for me, my favorites games are from the N64 and GameCube era.
.n_n.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'd half to say there aren't really any obscure characters from the Snes era, mate Virtual Boy if it counts. So I'd say skip right to the N64 era and add that logo in.

I'd say that N64 is that one character I support, everyone has one,
Who's yours?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I am confused whether or not you're being genuine because you like Magcargo....
Both. I'm just so high on smoked Gouda cheese and sleepiness.

But if you want a more serious answer, I suppose why the Wrestler is not infamous is because you treat the proposition as a lighthearted thing. You know, basically not pushing it to the brink of death.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I'd half to say there aren't really any obscure characters from the Snes era, mate Virtual Boy if it counts. So I'd say skip right to the N64 era and add that logo in.

Who's yours?
Well if you count Tin Star, Mike Anderson, Lip, Dr. Wright, Hakkun, F-Type, Marvelous (Dion, Jack and Max). Virtual Boy: Nester and Harry. We can still have some retro, obscure character. :p
.n_n.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Who's yours?
Its Ganbare Goemon. Hes Konami owned so his chance is low, but im still supporting that magnificant blue haired ninja. It would be so cool to beat people up with his wooden pipe. IMO, Mystical Ninja and Goemons Great Adventure are some of the best games for the N64 (the latter moreso)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I am kinda young so the N64 was the first system I played, SM64 was my first game ever. I started playing in about 2004 when I was 4.
I played that until I got a Wii. And my first game for the Wii beside Sports was Galaxy and Brawl.
First I played Brawl, then Melee, then 64.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Since we were talking about unlockables earlier, thought I should post this

I cannot stress how much I want Skull Kid in.
If I could choose one unlikely character, it would be N64.
If I could choose another, it would be Skull Kid.
N64 was my childhood. To this day Paper Mario & Donkey Kong 64 are my favorite games and I will always be an N64 fan.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Here's a hypothetical/patience survey.

Sakurai and his team release Smash Bros. with only the currently revealed characters, but they are all absolutely refined and perfected in every sense, completely balanced with one another. The game is a competitive dream, in other words. Now, the plan is that over the course of time, Sakurai implements patches that will add a character every 2 months, long after they are heavily tested and balanced so they can fit into the roster without any problems. So over time, we will have all of Brawl's roster back and more. The issue becomes a matter of how SSB4 won't truly start to feel as big as Brawl did for approximately two more years.

Would you play a base version of the game now to get an absolutely flawless version in the game in the distant future, or would you rather take the game with its quirks and flaws sooner?

I would personally take the incomplete version. It gives me something to play now and more to look forward to all year each year in the future.

N64 was my childhood. To this day Paper Mario & Donkey Kong 64 are my favorite games and I will always be an N64 fan.
Swap out Lucas for Ness and I'd pretty much agree with and love a starting roster like this. Alternatively, drop Marth and Meta Knight.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

That explains the 64 in SaturnGamer64
Also , I was really little, like 5 when I played my N64
And I remember, in between my N64 an Wii days, there were dark days
Dark days with the PS2, and MOVIE TIE-INS!! EVERY PS2 GAME I HAVE IS A MOVIE TIE-IN!!
But the N64 games did play when I was little was Mario64 and Dk Racing, and BK.
But know Majoras Mask is my favorite Zelda game, I got it last year for Christmas and it is my favorite games ever, next to Mario 64 and BK.

EDIT: I will cry tears of joy if the MM remake is for WiiU and not 3ds.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That explains the 64 in SaturnGamer64
Saturn is my favorite word and planet, I'm a huge gamer (and want to be a game designer), and N64 is my favorite console as well as the coolest thing to put at the end of a game's name. Every game sounds cool with "64" on the end of it. So that's basically the origin of my name.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ GRC
I'd prefer a thousand unbalanced characters to 60 perfectly balanced ones, because eventually through patches or fan mods, the thousand unbalanced characters could be balanced.

I mean seriously, my favorite part of the "Forbidden 7" in Brawl is now that Brawl mods can increase the roster size to up to 46 characters. That's a lot (of awesomes).
I would prefer this time, but if push comes to shove waiting next time around wouldn't hurt. I mean with the statement of bringing back old characters I do have confidence we'll get at least one of them. Would also be content with the likes of Muddy Mole, Sukapon, and Mach Rider too.
I agree with all of this (as long as all the Brawl characters plus Mewtwo, K. Rool, Ridley, and maybe Roy get in first), although I think if it is Lip or Takamaru, the latter is much more likely.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Saturn is my favorite word and planet, I'm a huge gamer (and want to be a game designer), and 64 is my favorite console. So that's basically the origin of my name.
That's exactly the same with me, except my favortie word is Bungee, or maybe Marshmallow.
I'll become a premium member and change my name to BungeeGamer64!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's funny how we are so different in tastes I never get a Super Nintendo and was stuck with my Nes for 6 years until the come of N64, so for me, my favorites games are from the N64 and GameCube era.
.n_n.
I will say this: I think the GameCube is probably the most underrated console of all-time.

I mean, it's got the best version of Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, and underrated exclusives like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, the Wind Waker (although the Wind Waker HD obviously did it better), Mario Sunshine, and of course, Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Anyway, can someone explain to me what has been going on as I was talking about N64 and my childhood.

so many tie-ins.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm glad Melee went the way it did. I'd rather have 9 beloved Nintendo characters be clones than 1 that's not a clone.
Actually, from what I gather, Sakurai sounds like he was going to either do nothing/just extra content bullcrap (maybe the only good thing would be that Animal Crossing cafe or that Fire Emblem stage) or add every clone in Melee (sans Luigi, who was already in the game).

So yeah, I think that was a good move.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually, from what I gather, Sakurai sounds like he was going to either do nothing/just extra content bullcrap (maybe the only good thing would be that Animal Crossing cafe or that Fire Emblem stage) or add every clone in Melee (sans Luigi, who was already in the game).

So yeah, I think that was a good move.
He did say that he could have made King Dedede in the time it took to make all of those clones.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Here's a hypothetical/patience survey.

Sakurai and his team release Smash Bros. with only the currently revealed characters, but they are all absolutely refined and perfected in every sense, completely balanced with one another. The game is a competitive dream, in other words. Now, the plan is that over the course of time, Sakurai implements patches that will add a character every 2 months, long after they are heavily tested and balanced so they can fit into the roster without any problems. So over time, we will have all of Brawl's roster back and more. The issue becomes a matter of how SSB4 won't truly start to feel as big as Brawl did for approximately two more years.

Would you play a base version of the game now to get an absolutely flawless version in the game in the distant future, or would you rather take the game with its quirks and flaws sooner?

I would personally take the incomplete version. It gives me something to play now and more to look forward to all year each year in the future.

Swap out Lucas for Ness and I'd pretty much agree with and love a starting roster like this. Alternatively, drop Marth and Meta Knight.
I will go with the incomplete version, I´m a patient person so no rushing the perfection is fine by me.
.n_n.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Quick off topic question: Should Nintendo attempt to change its public image (kiddy, happy company) to something more serious, (not completely dark and gritty) so they will be taken more seriously in the console wars (they haven't been taken seriously since the N64, now everyone sees them as Pokemon and Mario, and don't even know about the other series like Metroid and Zelda.

And also, how can they do this.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
GUYS!!!!

November 21st in Melee's 12th Anniversary in Japan, and December 3rd is said anniversary date in North America.

For related tie-ins, Sakurai should confirm wavedashing as a playable character then!!! :awesome:

And then on either January 31st or March 9th (Japan's and North America's respectively 6th Anniversary of Brawl's release date), random tripping can be confirmed as a playable character. :awesome:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
GUYS!!!!

November 21st in Melee's 12th Anniversary in Japan, and December 3rd is said anniversary date in North America.

For related tie-ins, Sakurai should confirm wavedashing as a playable character then!!! :awesome:

And then on either January 31st or March 9th (Japan's and North America's respectively 6th Anniversary of Brawl's release date), random tripping can be confirmed as a playable character. :awesome:
A gust of Wind would be wave dashing
And tripping could just be Master Foot (the brother of Master Hand)

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I will say this: I think the GameCube is probably the most underrated console of all-time.

I mean, it's got the best version of Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, and underrated exclusives like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, the Wind Waker (although the Wind Waker HD obviously did it better), Mario Sunshine, and of course, Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Lets not forget Paper Mario TTYD, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart Double Dash.
.n_n.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Oh look at the time. Looks like I will be leaving.

Lets not forget Paper Mario TTYD, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart Double Dash.
.n_n.
Before I go, I must say that Super Paper Mario is my favorite Paper Mario and better than TTYD.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm glad Melee went the way it did. I'd rather have 9 beloved Nintendo characters be clones than 1 that's not a clone.
Even if they weren't clones, I wouldn't have exactly said that Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were exactly "beloved" in the same sense people think of the rest of the Melee roster. It's a valid philosophy, but outside of Young Link, Ganondorf, and Falco, I don't feel like Melee really showcases it that well.
I will go with the incomplete version, I´m a patient person so no rushing the perfection is fine by me.
.n_n.
The ironic thing about it is that despite being the more patient person, you'd get a copy of the game right then and now. Zero patience whatsoever and vast patience seem to overlap with a hypothetical like that, funnily enough.
I'd prefer a thousand unbalanced characters to 60 perfectly balanced ones, because eventually through patches or fan mods, the thousand unbalanced characters could be balanced.
Are you sure you want to be hyped for SSB4 then? M.U.G.E.N. sounds a lot more like your game if that's really the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom