• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Let's talk about who's going to be starters and who's going to be unlockables
I'm going to go off of my roster.

Starters:
Palutena
Chrom
Villager
Little Mac
Takamaru
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii

Unlockables:
Paper Mario
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Ridley
Mewtwo
Shulk
Mega Man
Pac-Man

I may have forgotten someone.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Starters: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Takamaru

Unlock: K. Rool, Ridley, Megaman, Mewtwo, Tetra/Toon Zelda, Paper Mario, Tactician, Samurai Goroh, Masked Man
I think Robin should be a starter.

(And that Masked Man should be replaced with Ninten :troll: )

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
WFT is added like when ROB and GnW got added, so wouldn't that make WFT more likely to be a unlockable?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Apparently Ice Climber is a highly regarded and successful franchise now.
Ice Climber was the worst launch title on the NES and Famicom. That game is sheer and utter crap.
I don't know about All-Star. Wasn't Mother 3 a flop and only released in Japan.
MOTHER 3 is better than anything Nintendo has produced since its' release, sans maybe Xenoblade Chronicles.

Then again, Nintendo seems to have forgotten how to make good games altogether on the Wii and home consoles in general.

So yeah, I think being the main character of Nintendo's (arguably) best game qualifies Lucas as an All-Star.

Also, it wasn't a flop in Japan.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why do people think King K. Rool should be unlockable???
Why do people even like unlockable characters, or care so much about it=???

You do it once in 10 hours of play easily, and then never do it again after you own and play the game for 10 years.

At least, that's what I did with Smash 64 and Melee, and what I've done thus far for Brawl (although I dreaded doing it for Brawl thanks to the crappy SSE).

D

Deleted member

To play Devil's Advocate....isn't Mother 2 (Earthbound) considered the better game in the long run?

I thought Chrono said something about that....

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
...I think it may be too early to be giving unconfirmed characters unlockability status...but I digress. Generally new franchises in Smash usually get a starter character, which why I recommended Isaac, but K.Rool, Ridley and Masked Man/Ninten are almost guaranteed unlockables.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Starters:
Villager
WFT
Mii
Little Mac
Takamaru
Chrom

Unlockables:
Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Roy
"Historic Character" (Mr. G&W / R.O.B.)
Mega Man
Pac-Man

.n_n.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Why do people even like unlockable characters, or care so much about it=???

You do it once in 10 hours of play easily, and then never do it again after you own and play the game for 10 years.

At least, that's what I did with Smash 64 and Melee, and what I've done thus far for Brawl (although I dreaded doing it for Brawl thanks to the crappy SSE).
Oh, here we go again. *hides in a bunker*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But why was this demo given to Meowth?
It could have been given to anyone, but it was given to Meowth, and it was based on the anime.
Pokémon games have lots of anime references.
Meowth's Party, Pokémon Yellow, etc.
The anime is a very important factor in a Pokémon's popularity.
See just about every popular Pokémon out there.
Meowth being able to walk on two legs in the anime is what influenced the Meowth species to start standing on two legs in the games, starting in Pokemon Yellow. And now it is like every other Meowth can walk on two legs in the anime.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Wasn't the WFT trainer the WTF character of the game?
Not really... ROB and G&W were the classic, shocking, WTF retro characters added that not many people expected.

I view WFT as Sheik or ZSS: a character that makes perfect sense and deserves to be in the game, but still shocking. I'd hardly call her the WTF character, as it makes sense to have her in. It was just that people overlooked her.

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik, we've been over this.
Meowth has been shown standing on two legs before the anime.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why do people even like unlockable characters, or care so much about it???
AH, HELL NAW! Unlockable characters are awesome! It creates hype and anticipation in the gameplay and surprises you. Honestly tell me you don't get goosebumps when you see this (not knowing he was in the game):

It's also entirely necessary for unique characters, obscure characters, and clone characters.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Not really... ROB and G&W were the classic, shocking, WTF retro characters added that not many people expected.

I view WFT as Sheik or ZSS: a character that makes perfect sense and deserves to be in the game, but still shocking. I'd hardly call her the WTF character, as it makes sense to have her in. It was just that people overlooked her.
Ok thanks for putting it in a different perspective!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

(You are near your 1500th post..)
Yes, I have to agree on that. I would have not expected a character from a casual franchise because Smash does not normally add those kinds of characters.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
(You are near your 1500th post..)
Yes, I have to agree on that. I would have not expected a character from a casual franchise because Smash does not normally add those kinds of characters.
Is that a big achievement...?

Oh. I reached it.
AH, HELL NAW! Unlockable characters are awesome! It creates hype and anticipation in the gameplay and surprises you. Honestly tell me you don't get goosebumps when you see this (not knowing he was in the game):

It's also entirely necessary for unique characters, obscure characters, and clone characters.
I must agree. Even with us being able to look at the site now and see some unlockable characters (I knew most of the Brawl Roster before the game was released), it still gave me goosebumps to see that screen. A sign of anticipation and desire for that character. In Melee, I remember seeing Ganondorf for the first time, and I didn't unlock him through the Event Match, so it was a genuine shock of "Who the hell is that shadow?" until I started fighting him.

I love unlockables, while not very necessary, they give a sense of challenge for the game.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Out of all veterans, Ness, Captain Falcon and Marth (and perhaps Sonic, if Mega Man is also a starter) would easily become starters, while Lucas and Meta Knight could become unlockables.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To play Devil's Advocate....isn't Mother 2 (Earthbound) considered the better game in the long run?

I thought Chrono said something about that....
Well EarthBound is definitely the more influential game, but both games are about of equal quality IMO, however, they are rather different.
Oh, here we go again. *hides in a bunker*
I'm just saying we waste a lot of time talking about unlockable characters when it really doesn't matter. We'll have the inside scoop on who's in and who's out before we even touch the game.

I mean, either it's in or it's out, but either way, it only happens once... like the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series. :troll:

Even though I somewhat want it gone, it isn't worth the time and effort to debate it really, except that it's annoying Sakurai acts like it's a big secret who's in and who's out even though leaks always happen, and this time, I think we'll get it leaked about 6 months in advance.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Is Smash without unlockables even Smash at all?
Imagine Smash without "Challeger Approaching!"
Think about the great achievement you had as a child that was unlocking every character in the game.
Don't you see, Smash needs unlockables (even though this wasn't an argument).

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Is Smash without unlockables even Smash at all?
Imagine Smash without "Challeger Approaching!"
Think about the great achievement you had as a child that was unlocking every character in the game.
Don't you see, Smash needs unlockables (even though this wasn't an argument).
Would unlockable characters still be seen as unlockables if they were revealed beforehand on the site? (but you still had to find ways to unlock them ingame)

-----

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm just saying we waste a lot of time talking about unlockable characters when it really doesn't matter. We'll have the inside scoop on who's in and who's out before we even touch the game.
Really, the whole deal is so subjective, we shouldn't even bother to discuss whether or it should stay or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom