• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the possible Pokémon newcomers are as follows.

S Tier:
Mewtwo

A Tier:
Meowth

B Tier:
Zoroark
Genesect

C Tier and Down:
Everyone Else

I find myself putting a lot of things into tiers lately...

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think the possible Pokémon newcomers are as follows.

S Tier:
Mewtwo

A Tier:
Meowth

B Tier:
Zoroark
Genesect

C Tier and Down:
Everyone Else

I find myself putting a lot of things into tiers lately...
Pretty much. Although I think C Tier is Blaziken, by a large gap between B and C. Then Everyone Else. He has a very minuscule chance.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Zoroark should be moved up to A tier.
Maybe, but I think that any Gen. 5 Pokémon is basically deconfirmed at this point.
It is already confirmed that we will get Gen. 6 content (see Xerneas), so why would Sakurai go backwards?
Gen 5 will end up like Gen 3: Pokeballs, trophies, stickers, but no playable character.
Meowth is extremely important and has been considered in the past, so his chances are better than almost everyone else's.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I disagree, I don't think Meowth would come before Plusle & Minun, Pichu, or Kalos Trainer.
Before Pichu definitely, maybe before Plusle & Minun if R & S remakes are announced.
And with Kalos Trainer it all depends whether Sakurai wants a new trainer.
Kalos would be my favorite new trainer right in front of May and Gold.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
NEW TIER LIST:

S Tier:
Mewtwo

A Tier:
Meowth
Zoroark
New Trainer

B Tier:
Pichu
Plusle and Minun
Genesect

C Tier:
Blaziken (although may be included with May)
Everyone Else

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I disagree, I don't think Meowth would come before Plusle & Minun, Pichu, or Kalos Trainer.
Why? Pichu was cut. Sure Sakurai has had turnarounds, but he legitimately cut Pichu. He replaced Young Link and attempted to bring back the rest. Pichu was ultimately cut. Plusle and Minum and Kalos Trainer... nah.

I think the anime does play a huge part in the selection process for Pokemon. Meowth, being an icon, gained popularity and is still recurring in the anime today, so I think he should have a great chance over others.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
A Tier:
Meowth
I'm afraid Meowth being above Genesect, Zoroark, and most Pokemon is complete a** s***

Or if Mega Mewtwo or Mega Lucario if they counted as newcomers.
Those aren't even going to be interchangeable forms. They'd be Final Smashes. Not to mention that Mega Mewtwo Y is the only logical Mega Evolution we'd get.
Meowth is extremely important and has been considered in the past, so his chances are better than almost everyone else's.
This is also complete Bull ****. Meowth doesn't have a shred of importance outside of the Anime and he's certainly not as beloved as other Pokemon. Meowth being considered for Smash 64 is believable, but not confirmed.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why? Pichu was cut.
Event that cut character has more importance and popularity in Pokemon than Meowth does. Besides there are so many cooler and unique Pokemon that are more beloved than him anyway.

I like how SaturnGamer just comes on, and just crushes everyone's dreams.
No offense Saturn.
I just really don't see why Meowth is even considered an option. Him being important to the Anime doesn't really put him over Zoroark, Genesect, and others. Realistically Smash 64 was his only chance.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm afraid Meowth being above Genesect, Zoroark, and most Pokemon is complete a** s***
Is Zoroark or Genesect really likely at this point? Meowth has an overall importance to the anime, but the anime is important to Pokémon and even Smash reps.
See Lucario, Pichu, and Jiggs.
doesn't have a shred of importance outside of the Anime
So what?
The anime is still a product of Nintendo, correct? Meowth still qualifies with flying colors.

PS: Zoroark and Genesect are important because of the movies, which is part of the anime, so same case scenario.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Event that cut character has more importance and popularity in Pokemon than Meowth does. Besides there are so many cooler and unique Pokemon that are more beloved than him anyway.

I just really don't see why Meowth is even considered an option. Him being important to the Anime doesn't really put him over Zoroark, Genesect, and others. Realistically Smash 64 was his only chance.
Genesect is more popular now because of the Movie.
And 95% of Pikachu's importance comes from the anime.
Originally Ash was going to have a clefairy as a starter, if this plan went through, Clefairy would probably be in Smash Bros instead of Pikachu.

And also, I don't see a Unova rep very likely considering that in Brawl a Hoenn Pokemon didn't get in because Sinnoh just rolled around.

EDIT: Meowth does have some importance outside of the anime, there was going to be a GC game called Meowth's Party. And he is also heavily featured in some spin-offs. The same games that center around Pikachu.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Is Zoroark or Genesect really likely at this point? Meowth has an overall importance to the anime, but the anime is important to Pokémon and even Smash reps.
See Lucario, Pichu, and Jiggs.
Those characters already had popularity outside the anime and things unrelated to the anime, as well as promotion in games too. Meowth rarely has even the smallest promotion in the games.

EDIT: Except maybe Pokemon Channel and that tech demo of Meowth's Party.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I find it quite funny how during gen 5 whenever Zoroark or Genesect were brought up. People were always complaining about how recentness doesn't matter and whatnot. And now when gen 6 came along. People are now saying that Zoroark and Genesect can't get in because their not recent anymore. Poor Zoroark and Genesect, they just can't win can they? :/

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I know about that, it's basiclaly just a tech demo.
But why was this demo given to Meowth?
It could have been given to anyone, but it was given to Meowth, and it was based on the anime.
Pokémon games have lots of anime references.
Meowth's Party, Pokémon Yellow, etc.
The anime is a very important factor in a Pokémon's popularity.
See just about every popular Pokémon out there.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I disagree. In the Pokemon franchise as a whole, Pichu has nothing. He was in one movie, and isn't as well-known to non-Pokemon players as Meowth is. Like it or not, Meowth gained good chances and popularity through the anime, which is a factor. Also, "cooler" is rather subjective.

Being in the Anime, being iconic, and being recurring gives him an edge.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know, I find it quite funny how during gen 5 whenever Zoroark or Genesect were brought up. People were always complaining about how recentness doesn't matter and whatnot. And now when gen 6 came along. People are now saying that Zoroark and Genesect can't get in because their not recent anymore. Poor Zoroark and Genesect, they just can't win can they? :/
By that logic, Gen. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is dead.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Meowth really does not add much to the game as a character in my opinion. Pichu was popular at the time and an obvious clone choice which was Sakurai's solution to a bigger roster.

Meowth's importance in the video games now seems very minor.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I disagree. In the Pokemon franchise as a whole, Pichu has nothing..
I disagree entirely. He was basically the gen 2 mascot, the baby Pikachu, many anime appearances (including "Pichu Bros.") and he appears in the main games and spin-off games a lot.

I'll admit Meowth does have popularity, but there are much better and likely choices in terms of the other areas of criteria. Pichu was very popular, yet cut for being just another Pikachu. I feel like Meowth is not seen as more than a Pokeball since he lacks move potential and is a dismissive gen 1 Pokemon competing with much hotter Pokemon.

He had Pikachu, Mewtwo, Pichu, and Jigglypuff to compete with.
That's basically what I just said (also the Gen 1 & 2 Starters). He had less to compete with back then. Now he has Lucario, Blaziken, Genesect, Zoroark, plus more.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I find it hilarious that people are actually saying Meowth isn't as popular as he used to be when he's consistently shown to be one of the most famous pokemon of all time, not to mention one of the most recurring. Meowth's popularity lower than it was before? As long as the anime keeps going, Meowth's popularity will never die down.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Its like a huge circle of hypocrisy and contradiction.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Does anyone even watch the anime, people keep complaining that it lost quality through the years.
It did lose its quality around the time they went to Hoenn, but I think it's been doing a good job of getting back on its feet as of late. I just fear how it'll portray Team Flare as, since it's basically a kid's show, the main goal of Team Flare will never be fully allowed to be displayed in the anime, so I prepare myself for Lysandre's character to be screwed over.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I disagree entirely. He was basically the gen 2 mascot, the baby Pikachu, many anime appearances (including "Pichu Bros.") and he appears in the main games and spin-off games a lot.

I'll admit Meowth does have popularity, but there are much better and likely choices in terms of the other areas of criteria.
Why does the baby Pikachu make any difference? I'll give you the anime, mascot, and games, but why does being a baby form of Pikachu make a difference. And please don't say "represents the baby Pokemon", that's even more ludicrous than "We need all Gens repped in Smash!"

But I still stand by the fact that Pichu was only added as a last-minute character, and was legitimately cut. I don't think he should return if Sakurai got rid of him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Despite popularity, I feel that there other areas of criteria taken into consideration for Pokemon newcomers and that Meowth does poorly in these areas. He is very popular, but he's out shined by other potential newcomers for particular reasons.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Meowth really does not add much to the game as a character in my opinion. Pichu was popular at the time and an obvious clone choice which was Sakurai's solution to a bigger roster.

Meowth's importance in the video games now seems very minor.
tbf Jigglypuffs importance to the games are pretty minor as well. just saiyan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom