• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

courte

Smash Lord
Not to mention these reviewers are the reason why we only play as Sonic these days. :(
Always bashing on Sonic's friends when it was the weird Non-Sonic like gameplay gimmicks attatched to them (mech shooting, etc) that were to blame for real.
lol oh no i don't play sonic games. i'll play the old 4 but... haha nope. got two search results last week when i googled my name "Kofi the Hedgehog"
and I did rather like the diversity offered up by Sonic Adventure one. Mind you i'm not saying i jized over playing all of those characters, but ever since then, i've been ok with taking steps away from the blue blur each year. no offense.

and i'd never touch shadow the hedgehog. i can see why people want him in smash... [well no not really. you know the inclusion rules just keep suggestions like shadow and goku and cloud to yourself, shadow and goku and cloud and OC supporters]

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would be comfortable with the current cast of Pokemon. I do think the 5 most expected characters to return do represent the series the best. Plus, I actually did like Lucario a lot. I got so hyped when he was leaked last year.
"Reps" is not a real thing in terms of Smash Bros. playable characters... especially in the way you are presenting it.
Holy crap! I remember that. I bought it so hard! Good times.
YEAH, those were CRAZY!!!

courte

Smash Lord
why has no one else started talks of a pokemon smash? rumble isn't good enough?

knew i should have saved that post in notepad. solid gold

Morbi

Scavenger
Pokemon Newcomers I'd love...

Can we play the "Pick an impossible pokemon" game again? I've got one.
I don't know. I really like Jigglypuff. She doesn't really offer too much though.... .... ..... .... wait.... right! Jigglypuff is one of the original 12! Don't worry I was only messing. Now lets move on to an impossible choice. How about Pichu... ..... .... ..... .... wait.... right! Pichu was in Melee. Haha. How about Lucario? I know he could never replace Mewtwo or anything like that... .... ..... ..... .... right.

I think the point I am trying to make is that we have had some Pokemon selections that seemed impossible.... in EACH game.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Pokemon Newcomers I'd love...

Can we play the "Pick an impossible pokemon" game again? I've got one.

That's Pangoro, aka the Gen 6 Pokémon a lot of us would want (that or that awesome T-Rex Pokémon).

Pangoro would actually be a great choice to go along with the Brawl Pokés plus Mewtwo IMO. He stands out, and quite frankly, the lack of bears in Smash is disappointing.

That comment just made me sad. I WANT BANJO IN SMASH SO BAD!!!! WHY MICROSOFT, WHY!?!?WHY'D YOU KILL BANJO WITH NUTS AND BOLTS!!! :cry:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I don't know. I really like Jigglypuff. She doesn't really offer too much though.... .... ..... .... wait.... right! Jigglypuff is one of the original 12! Don't worry I was only messing. Now lets move on to an impossible choice. How about Pichu... ..... .... ..... .... wait.... right! Pichu was in Melee. Haha. How about Lucario? I know he could never replace Mewtwo or anything like that... .... ..... ..... .... right.

I think the point I am trying to make is that we have had some Pokemon selections that seemed impossible.... in EACH game.

Do you dream of hostile confrontations with Mr.SaturnGamer every night?

I honestly think Pokemon would be represented best if they also added Meowth. It just feels so weird that a reoccurring joke like Jigglypuff could get in over Meowth. The main antagonist who is unique based on the notion that he can speak English. Not to mention he could have tons of crazy gadgets in his play-style. So it isn't like all he has are his claws. Jigglypuff on the other hand... didn't really have much. Double slap and the marker... both of which Sakurai didn't include. It is just mind boggling.

This is coming from a Jigglypuff fan. I am not really sure what he was smoking when he added her over Meowth. Haha.

Considering the animated series' lack of influential forces within Super Smash Brothers series (Jigglypuff being unable to maintain the trademark signatures of her character, for instance), this especially does not empirically bode well for Meowth's scientifically critically-low chances. Indeed, it also puzzles me as to Meowth's perceptible absence. Mind boggling to the masses, in point of fact.

Well, strictly speaking, Jigglypuff's debut within the original Super Smash Brothers technically does return, to some limited degree, some conceptual inspiration from the animated series, based upon her characteristically larger-than-life, magnetic presence alone... yet that is all that stands in terms of influence. Everything else (a considerable bulk, as it should be necessary) is left to the video games, Masahiro Sakurai general criterion.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Dream Pokemon inclusion?

Tyrogue.

His gimmick would be that depending on how you play your first stock, in the next one he will evolve into either Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, or Hitmontop

If you play all out aggressively, he evolves into Hitmonlee, with serious offensive moves!
If you camp and turtle a lot, he evolves into Hitmonchan, boasting great weight to last longer on the arena.
If you play balanced-ly, you turn into Hitmontop, which is the most balanced of the three evolutions, but with a greater recovery move.
(So his true strength lies in the recovery rather than offense or defense)

D

Deleted member

We're on impossible Pokémon?

....could it be any more obvious what my pick would be?

Hariyama! :troll:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC. COME AT ME BRO.

...Is there anybody who feels like trading me a Yveltal in exchange for a Flabebe? :awesome:

Or some other Pokemon? I am doing Wonder Trades for no reason and I got a Pokemon earlier with the nickname "Fat Furry D".

Keeping it classy.
Wrong forum location for this type of question. Please take all Pokemon trade requests to the Poke Center forum.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
"Reps" is not a real thing in terms of Smash Bros. playable characters... especially in the way you are presenting it.
A lie repeated often enough is regarded as truth, unless someone challenges it.

Do you have any evidentiary basis whatsoever for this claim? Are you simply repeating what some apologists have said, or did Sakurai say explicitly in an interview, "I don't care how many characters a certain franchise gets, I put in what I want."?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd rather a Pichu...
I'd rather have Pichu be unique and be a total gamble character like I've said in my character theory talks before, while Raichu is an actual clone.
A lie repeated often enough is regarded as truth, unless someone challenges it.

Do you have any evidentiary basis whatsoever for this claim? Are you simply repeating what some apologists have said, or did Sakurai say explicitly in an interview, "I don't care how many characters a certain franchise gets, I put in what I want."?
Sakurai has never used the word "representative" in regard to playable character additions. All he says is characters, characters, characters, or their name specifically.

If you honestly think they're all like "well, durh, we need 7 Pokémon characters only and at least 3 Fire Emblem characters" then you're probably brain dead.

D

Deleted member

I'd rather have Pichu be unique and be a total gamble character like I've said in my character theory talks before, while Raichu is an actual clone.
Bleh, clones are lame anyway, I'd rather have none of it...

Idc, about how 'unique' they can be in competitive play, original and diverse characters are more fun.

I support the Meowth idea, I think he could have been a lot of fun. Like a mini Taokaka.

I do like what PM did with their Alt Costume engine though.

Morbi

Scavenger

Sakurai has never used the word "representative" in regard to playable character additions. All he says is characters, characters, characters, or their name specifically.

If you honestly think they're all like "well, durh, we need 7 Pokémon characters only and at least 3 Fire Emblem characters" then you're probably brain dead.
To be fair, the entire structure of the roster is representative based. Not to mention they explicitly attempt to make each franchise different. For instance, there is no reason Yoshi really needs to be specified as Yoshi or Wario as WarioWare (if it was just character based). It is just a word many people use, I know you don't like it. I see you opposing the notion almost every single time someone uses the word "representative"; however, it isn't necessarily coming from nowhere. The people using the phrase are not stupid. Perhaps ignorant would be the better title. Even then, I use the word in the context of a character. The term is thrown around a lot. I think most people associated rep as a character. Regardless of the connotations of the word.

DonutFinder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theonlyisaac
3DS FC
0533-6566-7593
Um
I really dont know how to react to the raichu comment... In my opinion complete trash making a remake of pikachu.:facepalm:
Also I agree for meowth I finally have a person who agrees with me on that thought.:awesome:

DonutFinder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theonlyisaac
3DS FC
0533-6566-7593
Bleh, clones are lame anyway, I'd rather have none of it...

Idc, about how 'unique' they can be in competitive play, original and diverse characters are more fun.

I support the Meowth idea, I think he could have been a lot of fun. Like a mini Taokaka.

I do like what PM did with their Alt Costume engine though.

I didn't know that was you cause the new pic lol

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
That is not evidence against representation being a plausible factor. This is one of the most timeless logical fallacies, "A lack of evidence is not evidence against." This is called an argument from ignorance.

I think it's a possibility that he takes it into consideration, and as such, I do let this variable have some power. Throwing an ad hominem at me isn't going to strengthen your argument.

I ask again, do you have evidence that representation is not a thing, or do you only have fallacious pseudo-arguments?

Morbi

Scavenger
That is not evidence against representation being a plausible factor. This is one of the most timeless logical fallacies, "A lack of evidence is not evidence against." This is called an argument from ignorance.

I think it's a possibility that he takes it into consideration, and as such, I do let this variable have some power. Throwing an ad hominem at me isn't going to strengthen your argument.

I ask again, do you have evidence that representation is not a thing, or do you only have fallacious pseudo-arguments?
Calling out the logical fallacies! Damn!

Then you already know that it isn't worth arguing against anyone using ad hominem. A waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom