• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Maybe there was an intention to have Mewtwo and Lucario be Luigified like Mario and Luigi?

I mean, Mewtwo was pretty glitched up, so they had to rework from the ground up. Nobody knows for sure. Brawl seemed to be huge on characters with similar playstyles.
Brawl seemed to be huge on a lot of potentially awesome opportunities that were missed in favor of terrible ideas (SSE, lol!!!).

Seriously, we could have likely gotten at least a half dozen characters instead of the stupid freaking SSE. Could you imagine how much better Brawl's roster would have been with Roy and Mewtwo plus either 3 newcomers, 2 newcomers plus Doc, or 3 newcomers and Doc=???
I gave up on Capcom when I finally realized there will never be another Powerstone 3 and Rival Schools, also DevilMayCry was ruined. I think part of me died when Ultra Street Fighter 4 was revealed and showed 4 "new characters" (which are in SFxT).

In short, Capcom is cancer.
At least Street Fighter IV is a great game, while Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has some pretty good moments (that grand finals at EVO this year was LEGENDARY!!!).

D

Deleted member

Anyone who promotes Baby Bros. or Plusle and Minun as anything but lame clone ideas deserves equal amounts of shun. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Saying Ridley is confirmed to be anything other than in the game in some form is saying too much at this point. :p
Like I said, Ridley's either playable or the team chose the wrong character.

I mean, how many characters offer anywhere near as much awe-inspiring potential as Ridley=??? Out of the current crop of potential newcomers with a feasible chance, I say 4, tops (them being K. Rool, Miis [I think Sakurai will go CRAZY with them], Isaac, and Shulk).
In before "Bawwww, shut up and drool at Sakurai's knees, we're lucky to be getting anything at all, you ungrateful cretin."
Stupid fanboys who defend his every wrong move are tumors. If it were up to me, we'd cut them all off and separate them from Smash Boards.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This was another lame week for updates, hopefully Friday offers something good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still surprised Sakurai basically ignored Pokemon X/Y. Assuming we get no Pokemon tonight, the next potential character reveal related to a new software release might be Wii Party U, which releases next week in North America, and October 31st in Japan.

D

Deleted member

After no reveal for X/Y, not sure how well the "character on every major release" logic holds up anymore.
And before that, we got Sonic weeks before Lost World as opposed to on the day of or even around the day of release.

.....it's like Sakurai goes out of his way to kill any sort of predictions at this point. As if it's his way of saying "you don't know how I roll, *******".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Like I said, Ridley's either playable or the team chose the wrong character.

I mean, how many characters offer anywhere near as much awe-inspiring potential as Ridley=??? Out of the current crop of potential newcomers with a feasible chance, I say 4, tops (them being K. Rool, Miis [I think Sakurai will go CRAZY with them], Isaac, and Shulk).
I agree that should Ridley not become playable it will be quite the missed opportunity, but I doubt the selection process for him would be anything close to them thinking he could work yet despite that still excluding him, chances are he'd get omitted due to problems elsewhere (likely Sakurai not finding him feasible). Not that I'm defending Sakurai, I think he's perfectly feasible, I just think if he doesn't make it chances are they didn't even think of him as a viable choice.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
.....it's like Sakurai goes out of his way to kill any sort of predictions at this point. As if it's his way of saying "you don't know how I roll, *****es".
I am getting that feeling too with Sakurai. I think Sakurai wants to be unpredictable for the sake of being unpredictable. Personally, I think that is a childish sentiment.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyone who promotes Baby Bros. or Plusle and Minun as anything but lame clone ideas deserves equal amounts of shun. :troll:
That's still not as funny as your joke where you say Waluigi should wear Krystal's outfit and use her staff and tag team with Chrom with Habanero's face on it and new booty implants! :rotfl: :troll: :shades:

(man I want that to be a thing now!!!)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm so sick of everything Pokémon related, especially since we rarely have serious talks about Pokémon that aren't in Brawl (or Mewtwo) being playable.

Pichu, Plusle and Minun, Zoroark, that panda Pokémon... all of them could make great playable characters.

GTA V sold over 20 million copies, and the promotion (which was way more than X & Y) definitely helped.
Might as well make a random Pokemon Smash roster with 40-45 fighters then

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Putting the blame on Sakurai for not taking advantage of X/Y is a bit misguided, since it's unlikely he was the one to formulate the promotional-tie-in plan in the first place, that was almost definitely due to Nintendo. So unless Sakurai didn't have any other Pokemon characters ready (pretty unlikely), it'd be their doing X/Y didn't get a character reveal and their doing Sonic was shown for the Direct instead of closer to his release (which makes a lot of sense), not Sakurai's. Sakurai obviously complied with Nintendo, and gave them the ok, but it's not likely either of these things were his idea.

D

Deleted member

That's still not as funny as your joke where you say Waluigi should wear Krystal's outfit and use her staff and tag team with Chrom with Habanero's face on it and new booty implants! :rotfl: :troll: :shades:

(man I want that to be a thing now!!!)
....I never said that.

courte

Smash Lord
told myself i'd hop online and read bunch of video's of peoples top ten wish list and read threads on dream rosters... i looked in the mirror and crossed my fingers

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If I had an option to throw 2 out of 3 drowning people lifelines, one being Sakurai, one being a personified Smashboards, and the other a typical user, I'd throw both at Sakurai and enjoy watching Smashboards drown.

D

Deleted member

If I had an option to throw 2 out of 3 drowning people lifelines, one being Sakurai, one being a personified Smashboards, and the other a typical user, I'd throw both at Sakurai and enjoy watching Smashboards drown.
Too bad Smashboards probably knows how to swim.

I am getting that feeling too with Sakurai. I think Sakurai wants to be unpredictable for the sake of being unpredictable. Personally, I think that is a childish sentiment.
Meh, I'm pretty much on the side of "let him be unpredictable; it's more fun that way".

...I'm not wrong, now am I? :troll: He's like a good guy Joker in a way.
But seriously, at least he knows how to switch between lulz and srs bsns, unlike other trollish developers like Ono.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Too bad Smashboards probably knows how to swim.

Premium members can swim just fine and get life jackets.

New users ('13) can't swim but get half a pair of water wings on the arm of their choice.

The Roster Prediction Discussion gets cement blocks tied to their feet.

courte

Smash Lord
no we're doing this and getting it out of the way. be it through trainer teams or whatever. we're putting a limit on how many legendaries.
if we're going to be realistic, any pokemon fighting game would be crazy to ignore evolution so ground rules:

If we're going trainer teams, brawl style. Each Trainer get's three pokemon and they cycle. they should compliment each other and balance strengths and weaknesses. pokemon in a teams smash style fighter can't evolve.

a nintendo 2d 2ds tie in with a cast of 45 pokemon, no teams, all legendaries, evolve out of your ass.

you have to leave your personal opinions about what's the best behind. also be fair. certain pokemon get a **** deal depending on the terrain, no picks like magickarp. unless he's a stage hazard to be used by any team in a water field.same goes for certain rock types in the same setting.
any pokemon on the console version should be able to evolve. limit to 15 pokemon who cannot. make your fifteen picks powerful to balance out their ability in one way or another[be inventive like a heat rotom with sunny day or something]

these is no 4 move limit. add specials and normals. have some special attacks act as passive and others act subtely for example any pokemon given tail whip does little damage on hit but crazy damage to a shield. to make it unique base damage and knockback of such a type move would be dependent upon the pokemon type attacking and defending as well as Pokemon's weight and height. make stats play a part, but not to the degree that it's a fighting rpg.

for all intents and purposes every pokemon is level 100 but yes can still evolve. work an item mechanic in but design it to not be wacky as balls like the smash balls.

try and make it 10 pokemon evolution strings per generation max. for example charmander-charmeleon-charizard would count as one pokemon. in reality this game would be huge but *** IT POKEMON!

SOD OFF POKEMON RUMBLE

D

Deleted member

New users ('13) can't swim but get half a pair of water wings on the arm of their choice.

I run on water while asleep.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Cement blocks aren't heavy enough.

And joke's on you, I can swim! :p

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
JOKES ON YOU! SMASH BOARDS LEARNED TO SWIM, CLING TO WALLS, JUMP OFF ROOFS, CLIMB LADDERS, AND TRIP IN BRAWL!!!!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
There's no Pokemon newcomer shown because of TPC being specific about something. That's what I'm betting.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Putting the blame on Sakurai for not taking advantage of X/Y is a bit misguided, since it's unlikely he was the one to formulate the promotional-tie-in plan in the first place, that was almost definitely due to Nintendo. So unless Sakurai didn't have any other Pokemon characters ready (pretty unlikely), it'd be their doing X/Y didn't get a character reveal and their doing Sonic was shown for the Direct instead of closer to his release (which makes a lot of sense), not Sakurai's. Sakurai obviously complied with Nintendo, and gave them the ok, but it's not likely either of these things were his idea.
Eh, but still, you think the Dojo hosts would throw us something Pokémon related. I mean, if we got a Pokémon stage finally (we'll probably get 4 new ones this time around, 2 for each game), I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be complaining.

Heck, even just a shot of the Pokéball Item would excite me now. This week has just been ridiculously bad for updates.
...what=???
There's no Pokemon newcomer shown because of TPC being specific about something. That's what I'm betting.
...this might actually be true.

That or they're asking the Pokémon characters in smash to be part of a promotion for other Pokémon games, like all those upcoming spin-offs!!! :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That or they're asking the Pokémon characters in smash to be part of a promotion for other Pokémon games, like all those upcoming spin-offs!!! :laugh:
I mean, maybe they want the new pokemon to be revealed later, and first. I mean, I don't see why he wouldn't just throw up Puff/Lucario, unless he had a specific reason not to.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I mean, maybe they want the new pokemon to be revealed later, and first. I mean, I don't see why he wouldn't just throw up Puff/Lucario, unless he had a specific reason not to.
Oh no, I get you. They could want a specific newcomer on top of getting the Brawl Pokés plus Mewtwo back (which will likely happen), and they might be saving it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I think we can't rule out getting news on a Pokémon newcomer in a Pokémon centered/heavy Nintendo Direct, which we're bound to get a few between now and Smash Wii U and 3DS' release, especially since DLC or a new Pokémon game with a new region seems to be eluded to in X & Y.
....I never said that.
You should have said it. :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm so glad I went with Fenniken. Best final evo out of all of them. Froakie was lame (as I expected), and Chespin wasn't QUITE what I was hoping, but decent.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People told me Wind Waker Link had a lot of potential.
He does. He's the Link that doesn't crap his pants and suck to the point where he is a worthless character in the most recent smash game.

Also, he's still got plenty of potential. Just because Game Arts, aka the people who made that crap fest known as TMNT: Smash Up, couldn't do anything unique with him doesn't mean Namco Bandai's Soul Calibur crew (the kind who make unique movesets for sword users) can't make Toon Link unique.

If you want to see Toon Link be unique, go play the Wind Waker, and see his swordplay. Now imagine that in Smash. Boom! Problem solved!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I think we can't rule out getting news on a Pokémon newcomer in a Pokémon centered/heavy Nintendo Direct, which we're bound to get a few between now and Smash Wii U and 3DS' release, especially since DLC or a new Pokémon game with a new region seems to be eluded to in X & Y.
Masuda said no DLC will be for the games, the best we're getting is Event Pokémon. Also, weren't the allusions to Hoenn rather then a new region?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm pretty sure Masuda said no DLC, the best we're getting is Event Pokémon. Also, weren't the allusions to Hoenn?
It said it wasn't Kanto, it wasn't Johton, it wasn't Hoenn, it wasn't Sinnoh, and it wasn't Unova if memory serves me correctly.

Unless they're going back to Orre or the Sevii Islands, there's nothing else there.

Also, Event Pokémon and areas are still a form of DLC.
I'm okay for DLC, to be fair, just as long as it cheap enough for what it's worth.
...do you really think if Smash ever had DLC that it wouldn't be worth your money=???

There's no way that we'd get something ridiculous like paying $5 for 3 outfits! :laugh:

WOWWW!!!!!

That's an awesome update right there!!!

courte

Smash Lord
It said it wasn't Kanto, it wasn't Johton, it wasn't Hoenn, it wasn't Sinnoh, and it wasn't Unova if memory serves me correctly.

Unless they're going back to Orre or the Sevii Islands, there's nothing else there.

...do you really think if Smash ever had DLC that it wouldn't be worth your money=???

There's no way that we'd get something ridiculous like paying $5 for 3 outfits! :laugh:
but i'd buy it.

and i'd buy all the dlc for that game. if it was directly influenced by fan feedback, i'd buy it all day one. if franchises were all limited to six characters max, i'd get all six of those fire emblem loveable idiots. and tingle and toad i'd buy last and they'd have ZERO play time on my platform. if anyone ever played them i'd wipe all of the data. even my mom

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I'll have to look through the hints again, but I do remember some allusions to Hoenn being in there.

In a sense yes, but I'm pretty sure Masuda was referring more to content like completely new maps rather then stray legendary Pokémon.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Man, Gen 6 is confirmed in Smash is so legit.

I can't wait to see what we get next week. Something tells me we'll slowly build to a stage reveal, a Pokéball reveal, or heck, a character reveal.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'll have to look through the hints again, but I do remember some allusions to Hoenn being in there.
Eh, maybe you're right.
In a sense yes, but I'm pretty sure Masuda was referring more to content like completely new maps rather then stray legendary Pokémon.
Well, I think maybe that Wii U Pokémon actual game (and not stupid lazy spin-off) may be a legit thing...

...or it may yet again be another "meh" game. :laugh: But hey, if it's in HD, at least it could serve a function like Pokémon Stadium did! :chuckle:

courte

Smash Lord
ok real talk on a scale of 1-10, ten being the "no really i swear i'm not just saying it cuz that's what we say around here. this character is important to the story" and one being "he's just there" how important is dark pit. are we talking bowser to mario or are we talking link to dark link in twilight princess cuz that dude wasn't even a thing

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well looks like Sakurai confirmed something with Pokemon X/Y. :troll:
That area looks like the same (mysterious) area from yesterdays' update, and maybe from that earlier space area many of us thought was from Super Mario Galaxy.

Does anyone know where that cloudy area could be if it is potentially a new Pokémon stage=???

Also, I think this is proof Sakurai may troll us by "hyping up" Gen 6, including a possibly newcomer being hyped up. Boy, things are about to get interesting me thinks...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai....

YOU CHOSE THE WRONG FRIDAY!

Status