• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Doesn't matter with all my defense! And I can even equip an item if I want! No way Sylveon is beating my panda. Aren't Slyveon's stats really bad anyway?
I just looked them up, if the website is accurate... Sylveon's stats are great. I don't think they are bad at all. I might even add one to my team. I am getting a competitive team ready for the new Wii U title. Haha. Sylveon looks like my style.

Edit- @Arcanir

Yeah, my bad. Sorry about that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter with all my defense! And I can even equip an item if I want! No way Sylveon is beating my panda. Aren't Slyveon's stats really bad anyway?
I dunno, isn't Pangoro really bad at everything but attack and maybe HP? His defences seem lackluster, not unlike Emboar. These slightly bulky mons really should have better defences.
At least he looks cool.

Talking of 6th Gen Pokemon, it's probably too late to include them as playables, but is there any you'd want to see as Pokeball Pokemon?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not a bad roster, nice to see Lip in the mix.
I appreciate that, thanks.
Although, I'd replace Bowser Jr. with Toad.
@AEM you should replace Bowser Jr. with Toad. He's more important to the series than him.
When it comes to Toad, while I agree the little guy still has a chance, a Toad's reappearance as Peach's Neutral Special again makes me think otherwise. Sure there can be multiple Toads on screen, but I really think that if Toad was going to be playable, the least that could have done was to change the Toad's vest color to red in Peach's neutral special. But that didn't happen, so I feel like Junior's chances are a bit better than any other plausible Mario character at the moment. But I wouldn't be really surprised if Toad did make it playable after all.

Regardless of wether or not I agree with several characters here, the art is so pretty I WANT this roster!
And for the record, I have absolutely no complaints about the character choices. THIS is a roster I can be happy with for SSB4.
Thanks so much!
Looks great.
Much obliged.

---

New roster, thought about adding back Lucario and adding Toad, which makes an a total of 48 characters:
This honestly probably my favorite variation of your roster ever.
While I still feel that Kawashima and Anna are mostly wishful thinking on your part, I can say that I can appreciate Daitouryou and Tom Nook (maybe a little less for Tom Nook though).
However, I still urge you to add another Donkey Kong character instead of taking on Dixie Kong to Diddy Kong.

I also want to say that I'm really happy that you changed up it's overall appearance and organization. Although you could still probably organize it a bit differently...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A reveal is a reveal. I think if Sakurai is going to keep most of the Brawl roster (which could be a possibility with Toon Link hanging around) he should keep up this new pace he set.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lucario no more 'stole' Mewtwo's move then Mewtwo 'stole' Samus' Charge Shot, the moves are similar, that's it.

Also, that's a load of crap. If I was working alongside someone and then got fired/let go while the other finished the project, I was not replaced by my co-worker, I was just kicked out before completion. That's exactly what happened to Mewtwo, both were planned, one just unfortunately got cut for time. Really, there's no reason to believe that Lucario replaced Mewtwo in any meaning of the word, it's just being stubborn to keep adhering to that rumor when it has already been disproven many times over.
It has not been disproven.

Sakurai said there would be cuts in Brawl. He made a priority list knowing there would be cuts. Mewtwo was near the bottom.

One of the new pokemon with a much higher probability than Mewtwo was chosen to be on the roster. He was popular, he had a movie coming out, and his iconic B move was the same as Mewtwo. As a fighting/steel pokemon he could have had any B move. But that one was chosen. Now follow this.

Ike had a projectile for his B move. But Sakurai deemed it unbalanced for Ike's playstyle. So Ike took Roy's B move. But why would he do that when Roy was on the possible list? It could be that because Sakurai knew there were cuts, knew there was a time limit, and knew Roy did not have enough time to balance/flesh out.

Therefore, I believe Lucario was the replacement for Mewtwo wiiiiiith the possibility in the back of Sakurai's mind, that if he did indeed have time he would include Mewtwo. That still counts as replaced.

Replace: to put someone or something new in the place or position of (someone or something)

So while I see where you are coming from, I think you have to simply realize that people are going to feel that Lucario replaced Mewtwo whether you think that is true or not.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
It has not been disproven.

Sakurai said there would be cuts in Brawl. He made a priority list knowing there would be cuts. Mewtwo was near the bottom.

One of the new pokemon with a much higher probability than Mewtwo was chosen to be on the roster. He was popular, he had a movie coming out, and his iconic B move was the same as Mewtwo. As a fighting/steel pokemon he could have had any B move. But that one was chosen. Now follow this.

Ike had a projectile for his B move. But Sakurai deemed it unbalanced if Ike's playstyle. So Ike took Roy's B move. But why would he do that when Roy was on the possible list? It could be that because Sakurai knew there were cuts, knew there was a time limit, and knew Roy did not have enough time to balance/flesh out.

Therefore, I believe Lucario was the replacement for Mewtwo wiiiiiith the possibility in the back of Sakurai's mind, that if he did indeed have time he would include Mewtwo. That still counts as replaced.

Replace: to put someone or something new in the place or position of (someone or something)

So while I see where you are coming from, I think you have to simply realize that people are going to feel that Lucario replaced Mewtwo whether you think that is true or not.
Mewtwo was near the bottom? I guess that's why he's the most complete out of the unused data characters. -_- Mewtwo was planned from the get-go, and he was cut from fans complaints. Lucario came to fill in as a pkmn rep for convenience. That's the way I see it.

courte

Smash Lord
no where but smashboards have i heard someone say mewtwo shadow ball is similar to sharge chot. they have 2% in common in my eyes. Lucario's and mewtwos get a bit closer in similarity but i'd say about... 10% tops. then again i think Mario and Luigi fireballs are 50% similar so pooh on me

It's simble. Cobb is Smashers, Mall is your favorite characters, and the ledge+the effects of inception is Sakurai.
it's simple, we kill the batman

Espio264

Smash Ace
A reveal is a reveal. I think if Sakurai is going to keep most of the Brawl roster (which could be a possibility with Toon Link hanging around) he should keep up this new pace he set.
I think the atmosphere of this game is a little harder to put a finger on at this point. With Brawl, we got Wario, Pit, and Metaknight right off the bat. None of these were really surprising but set a tone for how we would see the rest of the roster fill out. Then there was Snake, that opened up wider possibilities. This time around we've got a handful of obvious veterans, and a few others (Olimar, Toon Link, Sonic) that we wouldn't expect so soon. Plus VIllager and WFT are so unexpected, at least in the case that they're all we got, and that they weren't alongside someone a little more obvious, it makes it tricky to see what the next logical inclusion might be. (Megaman is a category of his own, and with Sonic confirmed, the two of them give a little insight into 3rd parties, but not the entire landscape of things.)

Until we get another newcomer, or characters like Mewtwo, Roy, Lucario, ROB or Wolf, I think it's too early to really feel how the roster will play out. You're absolutely right about the pace he's setting with reveals, but it's so unpredictable still that we could hit a weird speed bump at any moment. A few more spots down the road, and I think we'll begin to see a logical progression. Of course every theory I or anyone else comes up with gets turned on its head the moment we think it so... you know, whatever.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo was near the bottom? I guess that's why he's the most complete out of the unused data characters. -_- Mewtwo was planned from the get-go, and he was cut from fans complaints. Lucario came to fill in as a pkmn rep for convenience. That's the way I see it.
Mewtwo was near the bottom. That is kind of why he isn't in the game.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Maybe there was an intention to have Mewtwo and Lucario be Luigified like Mario and Luigi?

I mean, Mewtwo was pretty glitched up, so they had to rework from the ground up. Nobody knows for sure. Brawl seemed to be huge on characters with similar playstyles.

courte

Smash Lord
I think the atmosphere of this game is a little harder to put a finger on at this point. With Brawl, we got Wario, Pit, and Metaknight right off the bat. None of these were really surprising but set a tone for how we would see the rest of the roster fill out. Then there was Snake, that opened up wider possibilities. This time around we've got a handful of obvious veterans, and a few others (Olimar, Toon Link, Sonic) that we wouldn't expect so soon. Plus VIllager and WFT are so unexpected, at least in the case that they're all we got, and that they weren't alongside someone a little more obvious, it makes it tricky to see what the next logical inclusion might be. (Megaman is a category of his own, and with Sonic confirmed, the two of them give a little insight into 3rd parties, but not the entire landscape of things.)

Until we get another newcomer, or characters like Mewtwo, Roy, Lucario, ROB or Wolf, I think it's too early to really feel how the roster will play out. You're absolutely right about the pace he's setting with reveals, but it's so unpredictable still that we could hit a weird speed bump at any moment. A few more spots down the road, and I think we'll begin to see a logical progression. Of course every theory I or anyone else comes up with gets turned on its head the moment we think it so... you know, whatever.
f#cking thank you so hard

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Then again, Melee was one of the first games for the GameCube, and by the time Brawl development begun, there weren't that many new franchises to be noted other than, say, Pikmin, so I guess it'd make sense why those games didn't got one.
I can't say there is currently one that rivals the importance of other potential franchises anyway. Unless Project X is in fact a sequel to XenoBlade.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Umm, I knew that.
You asked what it was! :O

That is fine, I am going to need a source though.
With little to no search, I couldn't find a source, so I shouldn't say it as fact. That's been the common understanding for years, though. I'm sure the source is somewhere. Either way, my main point stands strong:

Mewtwo was always planned for Brawl, but was cut LATE in development (thus, proving he had priority) for reasons uncertain, and Lucario came to take his place as a Pkmn rep. IMO, Lucario could easily have started programming much sooner, but something stopped Mewtwo from getting in, which gave Lucario his chance. That's the way I see it.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Mewtwo was always planned for Brawl, but was cut LATE in development (thus, proving he had priority) for reasons uncertain, and Lucario came to take his place as a Pkmn rep. IMO, Lucario could easily have started programming much sooner, but something stopped Mewtwo from getting in, which gave Lucario his chance. That's the way I see it.
I'm not questioning your response, rather proposing a hypothetical situation. Would it have made sense to have Mewtwo up on that mountain top pitted against Metaknight in SSE? It would have been cool sure, but would that have been where Mewtwo was plugged into SSE? And if not there, would he have been somewhere else, or have his own, non story inclusion like Jiggs, TL and Wolf? As much as I love Mewtwo, and wanted him to have a bad@ss role in SSE, I think Lucario was planned a whole lot farther ahead in order to fulfill all he did in adventure mode. And if they had planned on Mewtwo to be in SSE, to scrap that much planning at the end would have really changed how it played out.

courte

Smash Lord
You asked what it was! :O

With little to no search, I couldn't find a source, so I shouldn't say it as fact. That's been the common understanding for years, though. I'm sure the source is somewhere. Either way, my main point stands strong:

so no source? i like sources. i'd love to be convinced otherwise

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
so no source? i like sources. i'd love to be convinced otherwise
It's true that I don't have a source, but does that automatically make my idea unreasonable? There is no concrete source about this topic anywhere, so we're kept guessing. This just happens to be my guess. I think Mewtwo had more priority until something happened to change that. That's what I believe, and I don't think anyone can call it unreasonable. After all, just like me, they'll also lack a source.

I'm not questioning your response, rather proposing a hypothetical situation. Would it have made sense to have Mewtwo up on that mountain top pitted against Metaknight in SSE? It would have been cool sure, but would that have been where Mewtwo was plugged into SSE? And if not there, would he have been somewhere else, or have his own, non story inclusion like Jiggs, TL and Wolf? As much as I love Mewtwo, and wanted him to have a bad@ss role in SSE, I think Lucario was planned a whole lot farther ahead in order to fulfill all he did in adventure mode. And if they had planned on Mewtwo to be in SSE, to scrap that much planning at the end would have really changed how it played out.
Interesting. I can't really answer this. There are tons of possibilities, but Mewtwo must have been cut later in development. We have the data to prove that. That being said, I think my best theory to answer this would be that a character's role in SSE is only determined after the character himself is complete. Just a quick theory, though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This honestly probably my favorite variation of your roster ever.
While I still feel that Kawashima and Anna are mostly wishful thinking on your part,
But Dr. Kawashima is a legitimate prediction.
Brain Age is a very popular Nintendo series like Wii Fit and Animal Crossing that it can warrant Dr. Kawashima to be a playable character in the game. But really, the uniqueness of a floating head that fights makes it different from the rest of the Smash cast would make Sakurai add him, just like WFT and Villager.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
But Dr. Kawashima is a legitimate prediction.
Brain Age is a very popular Nintendo series like Wii Fit and Animal Crossing that it can warrant Dr. Kawashima to be a playable character in the game. But really, the uniqueness of a floating head that fights makes it different from the rest of the Smash cast would make Sakurai add him, just like WFT and Villager.

XDDD

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
so a couple days ago I asked if I could create a want roster, I was told I could so I did (remember this is a WANT roster)
3DS Roster.png

this would be the roster that I would be the most satisfied with.
Changes:
[*] 50 total character slots (55 total characters)
[*] one veteran was cut (snake, sorry but when it came down to it, I wanted Bomberman more
[*] Bomberman becomes the final third party
[*]donkey Kong reps turn from 2 to 3 (K. Rool)
[*]Kid Icarus reps turn from 2 to 3 (Palutena and dark pit)
[*]Metroid reps turn from 1 to 2 (Ridley)
[*]Animal crossing reps turn from 0(1 already newcomer) to 2 (tom nook)
[*] three retro reps added (Saki, Takamaru, DHD)
[*] three miscellaneous reps added (Dillon, Shulk, Little Mac)
so what you guys think too far fetch or possible, liked or disliked, thoughts?
Spoiler has my old roster I posted earlier
Edit: apparently I suck at spoilers :(

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
so a couple days ago I asked if I could create a want roster, I was told I could so I did (remember this is a WANT roster)
View attachment 3359
this would be the roster that I would be the most satisfied with.
Changes:
[*] 50 total character slots (55 total characters)
[*] one veteran was cut (snake, sorry but when it came down to it, I wanted Bomberman more
[*] Bomberman becomes the final third party
[*]donkey Kong reps turn from 2 to 3 (K. Rool)
[*]Kid Icarus reps turn from 2 to 3 (Palutena and dark pit)
[*]Metroid reps turn from 1 to 2 (Ridley)
[*]Animal crossing reps turn from 0(1 already newcomer) to 2 (tom nook)
[*] three retro reps added (Saki, Takamaru, DHD)
[*] three miscellaneous reps added (Dillon, Shulk, Little Mac)
so what you guys think too far fetch or possible, liked or disliked, thoughts?
Spoiler has my old roster I posted earlier
a
So . . . . lets get this thread back on its main point

I made this roster a little while ago, character on the left are the actual character slots while the ones on the right are the extra character in specific spots
(don't need to specify which ones)
this is the roster I predict will happen in the end,
Changes:
[*]Total character slots 45 (50 characters)
[*]no veterans were cut
[*]snake returns as the final third party character
[*]Donkey Kong reps turn from 2 to 3 (King K. Rool)
[*]Kid Icarus reps turn from 1 to 2 (Palutena)
[*]Fire emblem reps turn from 2 to 3 (Chrom)
[*]One more retro rep added (Takamaru)
[*]Two more miscellaneous reps added (Little mac, Shulk)
[*]Mewtwo returns
Thoughts?
[/spoiler]
A roster with Dark Pit. All my yes.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
The way I view the character cuts and etc...
Sonic threw a wrench into everything. I think Sonic entered development while Wolf, T Link, and Jiggs were being implemented. Thus why it seems they were "unprioritized." Truth is Sonic must have eaten up any extra time those 3 had to be worked in and further perfected. Then there's Roy and Mewtwo. I feel as though they were next in line to be finished after the low 3, but Sonic coming in halted their dev time. That's how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom