• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nah, it's Rockman. :p

No problem. Too bad I can't help in the Debateamania....
I deliberately didn't join for three reasons:
1. One of the rules is to be civil.
2. I wouldn't be able to keep a tab on schedule.
3. It's like sending an Entei against a horde of Caterpie. :troll:
I approve of your sense of humor, good sir.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's Rock Man.
Actually in Japan they are pushing to call him "Mega Man" in Japan like they do elsewhere.
Ya know.

I've been thinking...

Is the correct term "Mega Man" or "Megaman?"
"Mega Man" is what his name is officially listed on most accurate sources, including on Capcom's games and the Smash Dojo.

But really, it's not a big deal either way.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, there were some glaring problems with Brawl, I'd never deny that, I was just saying Sakurai gets a lot of blame for Brawl, when a lot of his decisions people don't like were intentional, and they seem to ignore all his other games that they fawn over. Sakurai is not god, even though some people treat him as such, he makes mistakes like everybody, I just think people should realize without him we wouldn't even be in this place. And at least he seems to be learning from a lot of his mistakes with Brawl, which is more than can be said for other developers who get too comfortable with themselves.
Well the competitive thing was clearly done on purpose, and he even said so, which is part of the reason for the game "turning people off." After all, if the point isn't to win, who's even playing=??? I've rarely played any matches where someone wants to lose. The closest to that I've seen are Captain Falcon mains, who want to be sexy first, and win second! :laugh:

Really though, Sakurai is just one of many minds "Calling the shots." I think it's time Sakurai and Nintendo unveils the curtain and introduce us to those people and let us peek into their collective minds. I'm pretty sure that one of them came up with the concept of the Wii Fit Trainer, actually (the Villager and Mega Man definitely has Sakurai's finger prints all over it, however).
I think that's largely due to the Wii U and the general current state of Nintendo, which is sort of out of Sakurai's hands.
I think Nintendo's entire home console culture needs to change. This happens every 1-3 generations where video game companies have to change entirely.

Given the success of the Wii and Nintendo's "think different" approach, there's no reason they can't sell easily their best console technology-wise compared to the competition since at least the SNES (and possibly ever) that has got a ridiculous amount of potential. It's disheartening that they aren't marketing that, or making games geared towards that.
I dunno, he might trust his team more, they're more experienced in this area than any of his past teams, but I'd guess he's still pretty involved, that's just his style when making games.
I don't know about more experienced than the HAL team (well they had more smash experience, but not fighting game experience), but yeah, they know their stuff. I'd argue the Tekken team is the best in the fighting game business. As for Sakurai, he certain adds a lot to smash, but like I said, it's a team effort. That's why I refer to the development team or Namco Bandai as the developer, not Sakurai, which is a mistake a lot of people make.
And that's why few tears will be shed should they collapse into themselves. I'll feel bad seeing what the Capcom of old has turned into (I already do), but nowadays they're just... horrible. I don't even remember the last Capcom game I bought, it must've been a few years ago by now anyway.
The last Capcom game I bought was Resident Evil 5 (big mistake), an awesome new version of Street Fighter II, and Mega Man 9 and 10.
Shame they got to keep all of Clover's IPs (though that was to be expected - as was them squandering them - as they've "successfully" done :rolleyes:).
I don't get why they don't use Viewtiful Joe. It didn't have troubles selling. It was hugely popular.

As for Capcom, eh, I still feel bad for the smart people left. Those poor people have suffered through multiple documented cases of employee abuse, their best friends leaving them, lots of people leaving getting greener pastures in their future, and all they seemed destined to get is a pink slip. :(

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Tell me the last game Mega Man had that was a big seller. Go on. Do it.
I'll give you a hint, it was quite a while back. It's a big reason why Capcom has put the series on hiatus.
You seriously overplay Mega Man when the reality is, he's just as washed up as you claim Pac-Man to be. Only difference is that Mega Man has "stopped" and people whine about it.

Don't want me to respond to a point, don't use it in a discussion that is directed to me. Simple.

Are you seriously comparing Pac-Man....to Hitler...?

....we're done here.
Case in point, they whine that Mega Man hasn't been having games. There would be no outcry if he was as "washed up" as you seem to think he is. You oversell Pac-Man, no one would have a heart attack if they quit making Pac-Man games. Hell most gamers probably think he hasn't had big news since his arcade days, and really he hasn't. Mega Man had great game after great game whereas Pac had what? Oh. His one hit. And the sequels of the exact same thing. Nomming dots.

Also directed at you? I wasn't aware this was a PM...probably since this is a public board. Don't get your knickers in a bunch because I made a statement to the masses. Which is what I thought posts were...replying for all, based on points you brought up. I didn't mention you my name in any posts. In fact I avoid that on purpose.

And I love how everyone flips out because I used a very drastic example to show icon doesn't equal popular. I think the Superman and Batman ones were pretty spot on. Seriously though I used Hitler to make a point, but instead...knickers...bunches...per usual on the boards. No where was I comparing Pac to Hitler anyway, I used Hitler as an example of how something can be recognized but not neccessarily popular. Sheesh. Please though, keep misinterpreting things -___-

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is my first time seeing Godwin's Law come into effect on Smash World Forums...how historic!

(This is only like my 50th time experiencing this, lol! I used to get compared to Hitler by all the Toon Link haters, which is a big reason why I pissed all over them when Toon Link was confirmed in Brawl and Smash Wii U/3DS)

Rezzorect

Smash Rookie
You think Marth has a chance of being cut?
Sadly yes. I would like to think that he's safe but there are a few reasons why he may be cut.
1. He may be cut because he was not a main character in the recent Fire Emblem game (only DLC).
2. Sakurai seems to like to use characters as a sort of advertisement for what ever Nintendo game is out or coming out at the time. That being said, Marth wouldn't help push as many sales for Fire Emblem: Awakening as, for example, Chrom.
3. I believe I saw a video a couple months ago with Sakurai talking about how SSB4 is going to have if not the same, then close to the same character count as Brawl. That means that for every new character in the game, someone from Brawl will be cut. With slim pickings as to who's being replaced, I'd say Marth has about a 50/50 chance.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sadly yes. I would like to think that he's safe but there are a few reasons why he may be cut.
1. He may be cut because he was not a main character in the recent Fire Emblem game (only DLC).
2. Sakurai seems to like to use characters as a sort of advertisement for what ever Nintendo game is out or coming out at the time. That being said, Marth wouldn't help push as many sales for Fire Emblem: Awakening as, for example, Chrom.
3. I believe I saw a video a couple months ago with Sakurai talking about how SSB4 is going to have if not the same, then close to the same character count as Brawl. That means that for every new character in the game, someone from Brawl will be cut. With slim pickings as to who's being replaced, I'd say Marth has about a 50/50 chance.
You do know that Marth is probably Link-level popularity in Japan, right?

Right?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
1. Recency is not, and never has been a reason to cut a character.

2. That's not the case with all franchises. Roy was added to promote his game in Melee and both of Ike's games were released sometime before Brawl. Marth was in both Brawl and Melee. Why can't Chrom be in Smash 4 along with Marth?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Is it me, or are Fox's teeth almost the same as they were in Brawl=???

The lack of 3D graphical depth is bugging me.

Yet another reason to jump on the #SmashFor2015 Bandwagon.

I wanna see Smash Wii U push the Wii U HARDDD, not look like a 7th generation of gaming console game in 2011.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'd like to first welcome you to the forums, nice to see another southern cal person existing.
But I thought I should probably point out something I saw wrong with your points on Marth.

• Having relevancy as your main argument isn't good at all. Relevancy, while it may play a part for some franchises (Pokémon and Fire Emblem), isn't a good point when it is compared to characters such as Ness or Marth's appearance in Brawl (He wasn't relevant at the time, so why wasn't Lyn in?).
• Marth's role in Awakening was fairly large.
Even if it wasn't him, Lucina still took on his name and appearance. He still played a part, even if it wasn't him himself.

• Sakurai likes to reveal characters as a form of advertisement for new games for this Smash alone. But that doesn't necessarily mean the same for characters that won't be getting a reveal prior to the release of the game, let's also not forget that other things also play a part to a reveal (Peach being shown on Super Mario Brothers's Anniversary).
• I can assure you that such a video doesn't exist. There is a lot of misinformed information going around, people on Miiverse actually think that the roster is suppose to be smaller than Brawl's. Nothing regarding the roster other than that the roster will be the same on both versions, and that Sakurai can't guarantee that the team will be able to bring back every playable character from previous smash games for the new one.

Rezzorect

Smash Rookie
1. Recency is not, and never has been a reason to cut a character.

2. That's not the case with all franchises. Roy was added to promote his game in Melee and both of Ike's games were released sometime before Brawl. Marth was in both Brawl and Melee. Why can't Chrom be in Smash 4 along with Marth?
1. If recency has never been a reason to cut a character then why was Mewtwo replaced with Lucario?
2. I'm not saying that those are reasons why Marth WILL be cut I'm just saying that those are the only reasons I could think to justify it, if it does happen. And hey I would love to have both Chrom and Marth! :chuckle:

I'd like to first welcome you to the forums, nice to see another southern cal person existing.
But I thought I should probably point out something I saw wrong with your points on Marth.

• Having relevancy as your main argument isn't good at all. Relevancy, while it may play a part for some franchises (Pokémon and Fire Emblem), isn't a good point when it is compared to characters such as Ness or Marth's appearance in Brawl (He wasn't relevant at the time, so why wasn't Lyn in?).
• Marth's role in Awakening was fairly large.
Even if it wasn't him, Lucina still took on his name and appearance. He still played a part, even if it wasn't him himself.

• Sakurai likes to reveal characters as a form of advertisement for new games for this Smash alone. But that doesn't necessarily mean the same for characters that won't be getting a reveal prior to the release of the game, let's also not forget that other things also play a part to a reveal (Peach being shown on Super Mario Brothers's Anniversary).
• I can assure you that such a video doesn't exist. There is a lot of misinformed information going around, people on Miiverse actually think that the roster is suppose to be smaller than Brawl's. Nothing regarding the roster other than that the roster will be the same on both versions, and that Sakurai can't guarantee that the team will be able to bring back every playable character from previous smash games for the new one.
I apologize for my noobness :c but thank you for the info

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Imagine the photos that the people will post in Miiverse once the game is released.

Edited: Is it me or does Peach is taking the soul of Fox.

.n_n.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace

Marth is arguably the official mascot for the Fire Emblem series. Cutting Marth is as preposterously ridiculous as cutting Pikachu, another integral symbol of a respective series.

Besides, Chrom (or Roy, and/or any other Fire Emblem newcomer) can just as easily coexist with Marth. I don't see the need for Marth to be sacrificed on the altar of recency or replacement.

Rezzorect

Smash Rookie
Marth is arguably the official mascot for the Fire Emblem series. Cutting Marth is as preposterously ridiculous as cutting Pikachu, another integral symbol of a respective series.

Besides, Chrom (or Roy, and/or any other Fire Emblem newcomer) can just as easily coexist with Marth. I don't see the need for Marth to be sacrificed on the altar of recency or replacement.
Once again, I'm not saying that those are reasons why Marth WILL be cut, I'm just saying that those are the only reasons I could think to justify it, if it does happen.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Oh there is no reason to apologize, and no problem!

---

So it's been awhile since I've made one, but I do have another roster of mine to share...

Character Count: 48 selectable characters, 52 playable (49 / 53 if you count the Mii).
[collapse="Reasons for character inclusions"]NEWCOMERS:
Bowser Jr. (Super Mario Brothers)
• With all of our current Mario reps revealed, it really makes me wonder if that really is all we're going to get from the franchise. So I have my suspicions that we will most likely see the franchise receive a new character.
• Junior has really great potential to be a unique character, but he could also potentially be a luigified Bowser. (Perhaps he could adopt some of Bowser's old moves?)
+ Jr. has been pretty prominent in Mario games since his debut, so he would probably be the best new character for the franchise (Probably behind Toad though).
- The Mario franchise as it is pretty well put together as it is, so a new character isn't entirely necessary.
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
+ K. Rool is among the most requested characters.
+ The Donkey Kong franchise is more than capable of having another playable character, being Nintendo's fourth best-selling franchise and all. It's been long overdue for a third character.
• K. Rool was decided over a uniqueness factor, I personally have no issue with having Dixie Kong over King K. Rool, but my preference is with K. Rool.
- Not exactly as important as he once was in the Donkey Kong franchise these days.
Lip (Panel de Pon)
• My Retro character choice.
• Lip kinda represents the Puzzle Genre of Nintendo's history (because Yoshi has nothing from his puzzle games present in Smash).
+ Panel de Pon has received several mentions throughout previous Smash games, which could lead to possible integration in this game.
- This also includes Lip's primary weapon, Lip's Stick as an item usable by every character in Melee and Brawl. If this item does return Lip's chances take a turn for the worst.
- She's Japanese only, which could hurt chances a little bit. Considering that the game is trying to cater to all countries.
Ridley (Metroid)
+ Arguably the most wanted newcomer in the west.
+ Metroid is more than capable of receiving another character.
• Has been present in each Smash game in one way or another.
• There is a controversy regarding his size, but the development team could easily make him whatever size is necessary for him to look right.
- Considering that the focus of Metroid is isolation, Sakurai may feel that having a Metroid character that isn't Samus could potentially not sufficiently represent the Metroid franchise well.
- Far too Purple
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
+ Another popularly desired character.
+ Titular character of the Kid Icarus franchise in Japan.
• Considering that Smash U/3DS began production right after Uprising's completion, Kid Icarus would still be fresh in Sakurai's mind.
- Since Pit represents Palutena, and Palutena guides Pit while he is on the battlefield, it may feel unnatural to have the two fight against each other (However since these are trophy versions of said characters, it may not matter much).
- Her hair is far too green.
Isaac (Golden Sun)
+ Another popularly demanded character in the west.
+ Part of one of the last remaining large Nintendo franchises that has yet to have a playable character in Smash.
- Franchise popularity is dwindling in Japan.
Villager (Animal Crossing)
CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!!
Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
CONFIRMED!1!!1!11!!!!!11
Shulk (Xenoblade)
+ Another popularly requested character.
+ Xenoblade was part of Project Rainfall, a petition to have three Wii RPGs games to be localized for the states that ended up being a complete success after a couple years of petitioning. Xenoblade was the first game to be localized.
• Monolift Soft's new project "X", bares some striking similarities to Xenoblade. This has led many to believe that the two may be related, which could lead to Shulk somehow being in that game.
• A character to represent Monolift Soft, which has proved to be a useful asset to Nintendo in the past few years.
- Can we really consider Shulk an All-Star with only one game to his belt?
Mii (Nintendo Wii)
+ Since their creation, Miis have become a staple to Nintendo's hardware. They appear in tons of games, whether as playable characters, background characters, or as a part of the UI (Profile related stuff).
+ Sakurai is really pushing this character customization concept out there. Who would be better suited for that other than the Miis?
• Potentially "Leaked".
- May not seem like fighter material to Sakurai, but Villager and Wii Fit Trainer should blow this argument out of the water.
- Might seem "too casual".
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
+ Arguably the most wanted new franchise character.
+ An existing stage for the Wii U version, a Boxing Ring, shares many similarities to the ones present in the Punch-Out!! franchise (Specifically the Wii Version).
+ Another one of the last iconic Nintendo characters to have yet to have been playable in Smash Brothers.
• Potentially "Leaked".
- Could potentially be deemed, "too punchy".
Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
• Namco's Mascot and also one of the most well known Icons of Video Gaming.
+ Has crossed paths with Mario several times before.
+ Fits in perfectly with the Smash Brothers universe.
+ Namco is really trying to rebrand Pac-Man as a "hip" current gaming icon: with a new look, game, and television show.
• Namco has shown many times with many of their titles that they love to put Pac-Man pretty much everywhere (if he fits in), of course this isn't strictly a Namco title but it shows that the company does love Pac-Man.
• Potentially "Leaked".
- Unlike other third-party characters not named Snake, there isn't as much demand for him as the other two that have been previously confirmed.
- Will most likely receive a lot of mixed reception.

RETURNING VETERANS:
Mewtwo (Pokémon)
+ Everything imaginable.
- Absolutely nothing.
• sakurai pls[/collapse]

Please feel free to share what you think of it.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
The last Capcom game I bought was Resident Evil 5 (big mistake), an awesome new version of Street Fighter II, and Mega Man 9 and 10.

I don't get why they don't use Viewtiful Joe. It didn't have troubles selling. It was hugely popular.

As for Capcom, eh, I still feel bad for the smart people left. Those poor people have suffered through multiple documented cases of employee abuse, their best friends leaving them, lots of people leaving getting greener pastures in their future, and all they seemed destined to get is a pink slip. :(
I gave up on Capcom when I finally realized there will never be another Powerstone 3 and Rival Schools, also DevilMayCry was ruined. I think part of me died when Ultra Street Fighter 4 was revealed and showed 4 "new characters" (which are in SFxT).

In short, Capcom is cancer.

Pic of the day.
I'm more concerned if this is a new stage reveal or just the pilot wings stage again.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The fact Bajef8 had to compare Pac-Man to Hitler pretty much proves he is losing the debate.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

---

So it's been awhile since I've made one, but I do have another roster of mine to share...

Character Count: 48 selectable characters, 52 playable (49 / 53 if you count the Mii).
[collapse="Reasons for character inclusions"]NEWCOMERS:
Bowser Jr. (Super Mario Brothers)
• With all of our current Mario reps revealed, it really makes me wonder if that really is all we're going to get from the franchise. So I have my suspicions that we will most likely see the franchise receive a new character.
• Junior has really great potential to be a unique character, but he could also potentially be a luigified Bowser. (Perhaps he could adopt some of Bowser's old moves?)
+ Jr. has been pretty prominent in Mario games since his debut, so he would probably be the best new character for the franchise (Probably behind Toad though).
- The Mario franchise as it is pretty well put together as it is, so a new character isn't entirely necessary.
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
+ K. Rool is among the most requested characters.
+ The Donkey Kong franchise is more than capable of having another playable character, being Nintendo's fourth best-selling franchise and all. It's been long overdue for a third character.
• K. Rool was decided over a uniqueness factor, I personally have no issue with having Dixie Kong over King K. Rool, but my preference is with K. Rool.
- Not exactly as important as he once was in the Donkey Kong franchise these days.
Lip (Panel de Pon)
• My Retro character choice.
• Lip kinda represents the Puzzle Genre of Nintendo's history (because Yoshi has nothing from his puzzle games present in Smash).
+ Panel de Pon has received several mentions throughout previous Smash games, which could lead to possible integration in this game.
- This also includes Lip's primary weapon, Lip's Stick as an item usable by every character in Melee and Brawl. If this item does return Lip's chances take a turn for the worst.
- She's Japanese only, which could hurt chances a little bit. Considering that the game is trying to cater to all countries.
Ridley (Metroid)
+ Arguably the most wanted newcomer in the west.
+ Metroid is more than capable of receiving another character.
• Has been present in each Smash game in one way or another.
• There is a controversy regarding his size, but the development team could easily make him whatever size is necessary for him to look right.
- Considering that the focus of Metroid is isolation, Sakurai may feel that having a Metroid character that isn't Samus could potentially not sufficiently represent the Metroid franchise well.
- Far too Purple
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
+ Another popularly desired character.
+ Titular character of the Kid Icarus franchise in Japan.
• Considering that Smash U/3DS began production right after Uprising's completion, Kid Icarus would still be fresh in Sakurai's mind.
- Since Pit represents Palutena, and Palutena guides Pit while he is on the battlefield, it may feel unnatural to have the two fight against each other (However since these are trophy versions of said characters, it may not matter much).
- Her hair is far too green.
Isaac (Golden Sun)
+ Another popularly demanded character in the west.
+ Part of one of the last remaining large Nintendo franchises that has yet to have a playable character in Smash.
- Franchise popularity is dwindling in Japan.
Villager (Animal Crossing)
CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!1!!!!1!!
Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
CONFIRMED!1!!1!11!!!!!11
Shulk (Xenoblade)
+ Another popularly requested character.
+ Xenoblade was part of Project Rainfall, a petition to have three Wii RPGs games to be localized for the states that ended up being a complete success after a couple years of petitioning. Xenoblade was the first game to be localized.
• Monolift Soft's new project "X", bares some striking similarities to Xenoblade. This has led many to believe that the two may be related, which could lead to Shulk somehow being in that game.
• A character to represent Monolift Soft, which has proved to be a useful asset to Nintendo in the past few years.
- Can we really consider Shulk an All-Star with only one game to his belt?
Mii (Nintendo Wii)
+ Since their creation, Miis have become a staple to Nintendo's hardware. They appear in tons of games, whether as playable characters, background characters, or as a part of the UI (Profile related stuff).
+ Sakurai is really pushing this character customization concept out there. Who would be better suited for that other than the Miis?
• Potentially "Leaked".
- May not seem like fighter material to Sakurai, but Villager and Wii Fit Trainer should blow this argument out of the water.
- Might seem "too casual".
Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
+ Arguably the most wanted new franchise character.
+ An existing stage for the Wii U version, a Boxing Ring, shares many similarities to the ones present in the Punch-Out!! franchise (Specifically the Wii Version).
+ Another one of the last iconic Nintendo characters to have yet to have been playable in Smash Brothers.
• Potentially "Leaked".
- Could potentially be deemed, "too punchy".
Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
• Namco's Mascot and also one of the most well known Icons of Video Gaming.
+ Has crossed paths with Mario several times before.
+ Fits in perfectly with the Smash Brothers universe.
+ Namco is really trying to rebrand Pac-Man as a "hip" current gaming icon: with a new look, game, and television show.
• Namco has shown many times with many of their titles that they love to put Pac-Man pretty much everywhere (if he fits in), of course this isn't strictly a Namco title but it shows that the company does love Pac-Man.
• Potentially "Leaked".
- Unlike other third-party characters not named Snake, there isn't as much demand for him as the other two that have been previously confirmed.
- Will most likely receive a lot of mixed reception.

RETURNING VETERANS:
Mewtwo (Pokémon)
+ Everything imaginable.
- Absolutely nothing.
• sakurai pls[/collapse]

Not a bad roster, nice to see Lip in the mix.
Although, I'd replace Bowser Jr. with Toad.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

---

Regardless of wether or not I agree with several characters here, the art is so pretty I WANT this roster!
And for the record, I have absolutely no complaints about the character choices. THIS is a roster I can be happy with for SSB4.

?????????????

Smash Master

Looks great.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
O
1. If recency has never been a reason to cut a character then why was Mewtwo replaced with Lucario?
2. I'm not saying that those are reasons why Marth WILL be cut I'm just saying that those are the only reasons I could think to justify it, if it does happen. And hey I would love to have both Chrom and Marth! :chuckle:

I'm pretty sure Lucario didn't specifically REPLACE Mewtwo. I just think he cut Mewtwo, for whatever reason. Then, Lucario seemed like a perfectly good choice at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom